#301 Mad Strike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLima , Peru

Posted 05 March 2015 - 10:48 PM

View PostDavidHurricane, on 05 March 2015 - 03:27 PM, said:

What do you want them to do about your ping? Pay for premium internet for you and everyone else in this game? Run eight-inch-thick trans-atlantic private glass fiber lines for maximum bandwith and then run them to every player's house? Buy you a super-speed router/Ethernet port? Make everything slow down except projectiles and lasers by 70%?

They're starting to sound like........

#302 daPaule

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 12:41 AM

I consider it rather funny that this post was moved from general to offtopic, at least I think it was there in the first place :D

And now tow other threads popped up in general referring to the same problem.. but hey.. thanks for derailing.

#303 Crann

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 05:12 AM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 05 March 2015 - 11:47 AM, said:

Oh look. 26-posts-know-it-all-nobody. Move along, nothing to see.

Since when does post count illustrate your knowledge for the state of game and community? As stated by another, I've actually been totally active since CB, linger the forums, and only post when needed to curb the "stupid".

Besides, you called out the community in your thread title, so don't get all butt hurt when someone with a fraction of your post count responds to your "stupid".

#304 PhoenixFire55

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 06 March 2015 - 05:33 AM

View PostKristov Kerensky, on 05 March 2015 - 01:28 PM, said:

Dude, seriously, you need to chill on the dbag thing you've got going on there. Crann's join date is almost as old as yours, obviously doesn't bother to post often though. Post count means you post a lot, not that you have a freaking clue, might want to remember that in the future.

The D-Bag is the guy who comes into a topic and posts smth like ...

View PostCrann, on 05 March 2015 - 11:40 AM, said:

So are you a self proclaimed competitive player? Or did I miss the ceremony where you were bestowed that title? lol

TBH, just another crybaby meta build 2 pump chump beating a drum, with no clue on what is actually going on. Go cry in your "league". A person of YOUR stature need not mingle with the peasants here...

Why should I bother being polite to D-Bags? I'm not here to exchange plesantries, and I'll again suggest that we stick to discussing the original question, to which I'm yet to hear a reply in 16 pages.

And yes, his post count doesn't mean much, but his post clearly shows he doesn't have a clue.

#305 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 05:36 AM

View PostDavidHurricane, on 05 March 2015 - 03:27 PM, said:

What do you want them to do about your ping? Pay for premium internet for you and everyone else in this game? Run eight-inch-thick trans-atlantic private glass fiber lines for maximum bandwith and then run them to every player's house? Buy you a super-speed router/Ethernet port? Make everything slow down except projectiles and lasers by 70%?

Its been said multiple times that ping doesn't mean anything. You can get horrible hit reg with stable 25 ping and you can get excellent hit reg with 150 ping. Thing is, when I ping Montreal and get my usual 140ms only to see that same moment I have a 300ms ping in game, you know smth is broken, and its not "my" internet.

#306 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 05:41 AM

View PostdaPaule, on 06 March 2015 - 12:41 AM, said:

I consider it rather funny that this post was moved from general to offtopic, at least I think it was there in the first place :D

And now tow other threads popped up in general referring to the same problem.. but hey.. thanks for derailing.

Its pretty simple really. We are discussing hit reg. Hit reg is currently not present in the game, i.e. it is an off-topic discussion.

#307 Crann

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 05:50 AM

Dude, you are crying about extraneous circumstances. Plain and simple. PGI can only rectify issues that truly reside on their end. If you are having issues on the end user side, then sorry but no amount of moaning or proclaiming your elite status will fix anything.

Do you have any idea how many variables lay between your gaming experience and the delivery of services from PGI?

If this was as big of a problem as you say it is, this game wouldn't have the healthy community that it does since it would be affecting more than just yourself! (Not to say that its not, but you are definitely in the minority when looking at the grand scope)

#308 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 07:05 AM

View PostCrann, on 06 March 2015 - 05:50 AM, said:

Dude, you are crying about extraneous circumstances. Plain and simple. PGI can only rectify issues that truly reside on their end. If you are having issues on the end user side, then sorry but no amount of moaning or proclaiming your elite status will fix anything.

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 06 March 2015 - 05:36 AM, said:

Its been said multiple times that ping doesn't mean anything. You can get horrible hit reg with stable 25 ping and you can get excellent hit reg with 150 ping. Thing is, when I ping Montreal and get my usual 140ms only to see that same moment I have a 300ms ping in game, you know smth is broken, and its not "my" internet.

View PostCrann, on 06 March 2015 - 05:50 AM, said:

If this was as big of a problem as you say it is, this game wouldn't have the healthy community that it does since it would be affecting more than just yourself! (Not to say that its not, but you are definitely in the minority when looking at the grand scope)

Thing is, casuals don't care and baddies can't even tell if their shots register or not, they have no reason to complain. As I said, nobody is being unreasonable, but THREE BLOODY YEARS have passed and they still can't fix it. It leaves me no other options but to think that they aren't trying in the first place, or that current devs team is unable to do the job and they need to hire somebody who can.

#309 p4r4g0n

• Knight Errant
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 06 March 2015 - 07:54 AM

If anyone is still wondering, the game server IPs fall under the 192.99.40.xxx range. If you really need to know which IP you are having an issue with, you can try using wireshark to monitor your connection.

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 06 March 2015 - 05:36 AM, said:

If you are pinging an IP with the command window, you are doing it with ICMP packets. However, the game server does not use ICMP to determine your latency, IIRC it calculates the latency separately, probably based on the actual udp packets that it receives from your client.

If you are seeing a disparity in latency between the two methods, the ping shown in game is more accurate in so far as it will relate to your game experience.

#310 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 08:40 AM

View Postp4r4g0n, on 06 March 2015 - 07:54 AM, said:

If you are pinging an IP with the command window, you are doing it with ICMP packets. However, the game server does not use ICMP to determine your latency, IIRC it calculates the latency separately, probably based on the actual udp packets that it receives from your client.

If you are seeing a disparity in latency between the two methods, the ping shown in game is more accurate in so far as it will relate to your game experience.

True, but I don't see how two can be that much different. Also I used to check my pings in other games like MWLL, Crysis Wars, BF when I had ping issues in MWO and they were all according to their normal values for given server. Maybe its not directly PGI, but its either them or their hosts.

#311 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 09:06 AM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 06 March 2015 - 08:40 AM, said:

True, but I don't see how two can be that much different. Also I used to check my pings in other games like MWLL, Crysis Wars, BF when I had ping issues in MWO and they were all according to their normal values for given server. Maybe its not directly PGI, but its either them or their hosts.
Actually as I recall there's significant difference in how UDP and ICMP packets are handled. One being able to come in at any order and not caring (all that much) if some packets never arrive, the other, packets must arrive in order and every packet must be received, or a re-send request will be sent.

Those actions alone setup huge potential differences in latency.

Or am I mis-remembering my days as the network guy from oh so many years ago?

#312 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 09:09 AM

View PostDimento Graven, on 06 March 2015 - 09:06 AM, said:

Actually as I recall there's significant difference in how UDP and ICMP packets are handled. One being able to come in at any order and not caring (all that much) if some packets never arrive, the other, packets must arrive in order and every packet must be received, or a re-send request will be sent.

The more I think about the more I'm sure I am misremembering, I think I'm describing TCP vs UDP... Not ICMP... Just think about what the acronyms actually mean <sigh>, gettin' too old for this...

#313 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 09:56 AM

View PostDimento Graven, on 06 March 2015 - 09:06 AM, said:

Doesn't matter much, I didn't consider the re-send requests in the first place. Could be it of couse, but as I don't know which way packets are treated in which game I can't really check it. Still, I never seem to have any packetloss with the usual methods (ICMP via command prompt or web tests), so I don't know why UDP packets might start disappearing.

Anyhow, I don't think it should be my problem if I'm buying their product.

View PostDimento Graven, on 06 March 2015 - 09:09 AM, said:

The more I think about the more I'm sure I am misremembering, I think I'm describing TCP vs UDP... Not ICMP... Just think about what the acronyms actually mean <sigh>, gettin' too old for this...

Don't sweat it, I can google it if I want to.

#314 Crann

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 01:44 PM

You are describing TCP vs UDP, yes... ICMP is used mainly for errors, not data transmission like the other two, ping echo requests on port 7..

#315 HARDKOR

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 12:30 PM

View PostDimento Graven, on 06 March 2015 - 09:09 AM, said:

ICMP is a type of UDP packet.

#316 Rebas Kradd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,969 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 01:37 PM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 06 March 2015 - 07:05 AM, said:

It leaves me no other options but to think that they aren't trying in the first place, or that current devs team is unable to do the job and they need to hire somebody who can.

Probably the first. They're playing triage with their development priorities, given their small staff.

Or perhaps they just have cheap servers. Based on how badly HSR tanks every time they have a well-attended weekend event, it's a given that they'll need to upgrade their servers if they try to launch on Steam. It'll be a disaster otherwise.

#317 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 06:40 AM

View PostGalenit, on 03 March 2015 - 09:06 AM, said:

If you want a challenge, then we should take it with even odds.

You are talking about skill i assume, let the metawhoring out and lets use stock- or unmodiefied championmechs and lets look that we both have them unleveled or leveled and not using modules.

I'm still waiting for that lobby invite ... or did my challenger surrender?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users