45 replies to this topic

#21 Rascally Jack

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 36 posts
  • LocationRobinson

Posted 02 March 2015 - 12:09 PM

While said pilots are narc'd the uber OP ECM light sniper is hiding half way across the map for those shots instead of helping the team. Then shortly becomes the last one alive to be hunted down for 4 or 5 minutes. :D :D :D we have all seen it :D :D :D

#22 TB Freelancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 783 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 02 March 2015 - 12:24 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 02 March 2015 - 11:17 AM, said:

if you haven't figured out missiles in a year and a half, well, this might not be the game for you.

That's a lot nicer way to say it than I would have come up with...

...I was just gonna call him dumb in so many words.

#23 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 02 March 2015 - 12:37 PM

View PostFenrisulvyn, on 02 March 2015 - 11:47 AM, said:

I think peeps are getting narc'd and, since they don't know it, they think the incoming LRM rain is out of balance.

Friends don't let friends run around narc'd. And while I see the occasional "heads up Fen you got narced again!" from my unit on TS comms, I rarely see it in PUGs - they are too busy learning the major parts of the game to 1) notice the icon over a teammate's head and 2) zoom in on the name an 3) shout "hey bob you're narc'd!" over VOIP.

So I think a major solution to all the complaints of LRMs being OP is to include a visual or auditory clue for the pilot to know when he is narc'd. Plus, most of us would prefer it anyway. Is there any argument against it?

Also: LOOK FOR UAVs. It's amazing to me how many people don't.

#24 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 02 March 2015 - 01:55 PM

At this point, reading the responses to a generic "Lurms are OP" thread are hilariously delicious.

It's hard to be taken seriously if you haven't learned to avoid LRMs in this game.

#25 Weeny Machine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,014 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 02 March 2015 - 02:00 PM

When I see those threads I wonder if I had halucinations the whole weekend during the contest. I saw "pros" (which are unkillable my missiles) get blown up or subdued by missiles then culled all the time.

Edited by Bush Hopper, 02 March 2015 - 02:06 PM.

#26 Carcass23

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 327 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 06:15 PM

He's mad cause he wants to duel out in the open but can't cause he gets shot at. Dayum, can't all of us be considerate and shoot other people while he is duelin'?

#27 Taffer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 500 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 03 March 2015 - 08:00 AM

View PostAntiCitizenJuan, on 02 March 2015 - 09:32 AM, said:

AMS + Positioning

YES.

One time I was running my Hunch 4J and my missiles were doing NOTHING because the enemy team had a lot of AMS. It was pretty cool tbh! It got me thinking, "wow if more people equipped AMS, LRMs would hardly be a problem."

#28 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 03 March 2015 - 08:03 AM

View PostTerciel1976, on 02 March 2015 - 09:34 AM, said:

I think you meant Radar Dep + Positioning. AMS is waste tonnage.

It borders on wasted tonnage but it shouldnt. If it was made stronger then missiles would be even weaker. Why not make both a bit stronger? This would reward defensive tonnage and serve to fight the BIG ALPHA problem.

Its tough to make missiles work alot of the time as is.

#29 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 03 March 2015 - 08:14 AM

View PostTerciel1976, on 02 March 2015 - 09:34 AM, said:

I think you meant Radar Dep + Positioning. AMS is waste tonnage.

AMS, isn't really ment for you, it's ment for your buddy... On most of my chassis that can mount AMS, do, that is if they cannot mount ECM... then again I put the team first.

#30 Malcolm Vordermark

• 2,520 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 08:27 AM

I don't want to give you the typical "learn to play" response, but there are things you can do that will less or completely nullify the effectiveness of LRMs.

The most dangerous they can be is when your team is in a position with poor cover from LRMs and has a UAV over them. That is a big requirement. Especially when you consider that for most other builds the requirement is seeing the enemy.

Missiles in this game are very unreliable. LRMs are just frustrating when you get caught.

#31 MechWarrior5152251

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 08:35 AM

If you have ecm or cover they are garbage. If you are caught in the open without ecm it is game over.

#32 Taffer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 500 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 03 March 2015 - 08:39 AM

They really need to make rewards for AMS cover. We have ECM counter bonus, why not missile counter bonus?

#33 Tidy

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 53 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 08:41 AM

LRM's to brawler builds do have an air of kill joy about them.
It's annoying when you get into a decent 1v1 short range kill or be kill scenario only for some idiot 900m away to work out his missiles are hitting a pice of terrain, sorts that out then piss all over other people's fun(play style).

Always wondered if having a 200m no fire zone around ally mechs would be a nice counter to this.

#34 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 03 March 2015 - 08:50 AM

View PostTidy, on 03 March 2015 - 08:41 AM, said:

It's annoying when you get into a decent 1v1 short range kill or be kill scenario only for some idiot 900m away to work out his missiles are hitting a pice of terrain, sorts that out then piss all over other people's fun(play style).

Always wondered if having a 200m no fire zone around ally mechs would be a nice counter to this.

'cept this is a team game, and 1v1 doesn't happen. The only times I have ever seen it happen are in privet matches, with conditions agreeded to by everyone taking part.

If I see a team mate in a 1v1, I will make it 1v2 in a heart beat, just to increase the chance of my team winning the match.

As it is, IS LRM's do have a 180m dead zone where they do 0 damage, get inside of that, and they have much less to offer up as defensive weapon wise.

#35 Otto Cannon

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,689 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 03 March 2015 - 08:58 AM

Put simply, LRMs are weak. If they give you trouble then your knowledge and skill is weaker.

http://mwomercs.com/...urvival-primer/

#36 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 03 March 2015 - 09:04 AM

View PostCaelroigh Blunt, on 02 March 2015 - 09:31 AM, said:

Once more I want to point out that missiles are overpowered and ruin the game for people who want to duel or at least just fight rather than hide. I put a bunch of money into this game... until you overpowered missiles. You haven't seen a penny from me in almost a year and a half and won't until you fix this glaring weakness in the game.

Just an FYI. I didn't spend any money for the same amount of time as you... PGI never was concerned to know why my weekly donations stopped after 4-5 months. The game continued in spite of my redirected funds.

Also. any weapon system that is used in mass is very effective. If you were only being hit by 20-40 missiles you would not be complaining. So if you start dying to massed AC fire will you complain then as well?

#37 Tidy

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 53 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 09:08 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 03 March 2015 - 08:50 AM, said:

'cept this is a team game, and 1v1 doesn't happen. The only times I have ever seen it happen are in privet matches, with conditions agreeded to by everyone taking part.

If I see a team mate in a 1v1, I will make it 1v2 in a heart beat, just to increase the chance of my team winning the match.

As it is, IS LRM's do have a 180m dead zone where they do 0 damage, get inside of that, and they have much less to offer up as defensive weapon wise.

right over you head I see, and 180min range has nothing to do with my post.

#38 Baelfire

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 112 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 11:13 AM

So, i guess you leave ranged Mechs alone if you meet them at short range? Because attacking them would obviously "piss all over " their fun.

Or do you really think that your fun is more important than other people's fun?

Edited by Baelfire, 03 March 2015 - 11:15 AM.

#39 Col Jaime Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 12:35 PM

View PostCaelroigh Blunt, on 02 March 2015 - 09:31 AM, said:

Once more I want to point out that missiles are overpowered and ruin the game for people who want to duel or at least just fight rather than hide. I put a bunch of money into this game... until you overpowered missiles. You haven't seen a penny from me in almost a year and a half and won't until you fix this glaring weakness in the game.

a bunch of "no skill hacks" kill you with homing weapons? its just not fair that you have to aim while they just hide behind a hill holding down the mouse button? do you think lrms should have to compete over open ground and only work with direct LOS from the shooter? do you think its unfair that teams share targeting data allowing some to hide and provide support fire?

do you harbor thoughts that this game should be played YOUR way and/or that any weapon that doesn't conform to your "ideal" image of battle either is OP or doesn't belong in the game? do you feel cheated by players that are just smarter then you because they realize that combined arms and support fire are a great strategy?

got news for ya buddy there's these thing called arrow IV missles that are super long range homing cruise missiles of death that will crack even assault mechs in 1-2 hits regardless of where they hit lets not even talk about things like the long tom and sniper artillery peice. also there are plenty of mech mounted artillery weapons in BT no need for this "strikes" BS. What we have is a small selection of weapons that represent the tech level circa 3050 (we are still missing many weapons tho, where is my Arrow IV that these homing missiles guidance system was built from?)

please just show us on the doll where the missles broke your mech. then go play COD.

that idiot you refer to is a credit to his team if he is turning a 1v1 into a 2v1. im willing to bet you would complain if you were that 1 guy getting lrmed after being dumb enough to try and get into a duel with no cover. i also bet you wouldnt complain if the LRM boat was on your team helping you turn a 1v1 into a 2v1.

go play COD.

#40 LordBraxton

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 12:39 PM

I do think it's ridiculous that we all cry 'RADAR DERP' as if a gxp unlocked 6million dollar module is an OK answer on how to counter a weapon system

That being said, I didnt have derp until I got it free with my panthers, and never had an issue using cover. (except during the multiple lurmageddon catastrophes)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users