How Is Cw Fun For Is Only Players?

181 replies to this topic

#21 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 03:14 AM

I don't find it much fun either but for me the Hellbringers aren't really much of a factor. The total lack of planning into making the mode more than blob assault with 4 drops instead of one takes me right out of it.

So for me all CW ended up being was less interesting standard drops that actually somehow have even less role and mech variety viability than standard games.

#22 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 04 March 2015 - 03:34 AM

View PostSolCrusher, on 03 March 2015 - 04:45 PM, said:

So really how is this fun? All I seem to do is lose lose lose. Not too much fun and never mind every other mech seems to have ECM for the Clanners.

Attack. Take 12 lights. Profit.
Defend. Take 12 Thunderbolts. Profit.

Teamwork beats anything. The tears of soloists who go into COMMUNITY warfare without being part of the community in any way are really unwarranted.

#23 BladeXXL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,099 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 March 2015 - 03:41 AM

Basicly the Mechs are balanced well (IS vs Clan)

The main problem are the CW-Maps.
The ice-map is much easier to defend for claners, because clans can use theyr long-range over the big deffending areal and also camp the attackers drop-area from a save range!
On sulfur clans are unstopable when they force to rush the generators - they move just to fast and the ogens are to close ...
I could write pages with more examples...

#24 Widowmaker1981

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 04 March 2015 - 03:52 AM

View PostBladeXXL, on 04 March 2015 - 03:41 AM, said:

Basicly the Mechs are balanced well (IS vs Clan)

The main problem are the CW-Maps.
The ice-map is much easier to defend for claners, because clans can use theyr long-range over the big deffending areal and also camp the attackers drop-area from a save range!
On sulfur clans are unstopable when they force to rush the generators - they move just to fast and the ogens are to close ...
I could write pages with more examples...

IS are also unstoppable when rushing the Gens on sulphur as well, if they do it with sensible mechs (TDRs with STD 300s for example).

Its map design/mode design there, what they SHOULD do is replace the o-gens with capture points that need to be held simultaneously for the Omega to be vulnerable. - that way rushing would be doomed to fail unless your team was organised enough to rush all 3 cap points and the Omega at the same time (in which case you deserve the win anyway)

At all times, the game should be about defeating the enemy, not just hoping to tank them long enough to kill an immobile structure - what would happen in any kind of reality? right after the Omega was down all the rushing mechs would get wiped out by the defenders. The IP has mechs being too valuable to be discarded like that.

Edited by Widowmaker1981, 04 March 2015 - 03:56 AM.

#25 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 06:53 AM

I agree with you Widowmaker - definately CW shouldn't be simply assault mode expanded.

Also like the idea that they'd have to 'hold' the generators (at least 2 of 3 since there are only 3 lances?) rather than destroy them, that would add a lot of strategy to the attack and defense.

The complete bypassing of having any strategical missions/accomplishments to me makes the mode a complete bust. It should feel a lot more like the campaign modes from the earlier MW games from both sides but in a cross-section/more time compressed format so that each match feels like its own 30 minute campaign war with each outcome having a real effect on the overall battle for each planet/system. If they could accomplish this or even start implementing and integrating it into CW this game would have that same intense dedication that still has players playing those 15-20+ year old games.

#26 Vincent V. Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel IV
  • Star Colonel IV
  • 299 posts
  • LocationWarrior, Command Star, Alpha Galaxy, Clan Wolf.

Posted 04 March 2015 - 07:10 AM

View Postsycocys, on 04 March 2015 - 06:53 AM, said:

Also like the idea that they'd have to 'hold' the generators (at least 2 of 3 since there are only 3 lances?) rather than destroy them, that would add a lot of strategy to the attack and defense.

Like a "Capture the Flag" or "King of the Hill" mechanic? I like it...

#27 Gyrok

• Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 04 March 2015 - 07:27 AM

View PostToadkillerdog, on 03 March 2015 - 06:35 PM, said:

Well, and you have to pray they don't just bring the all Twolf rush to the generator. There's really nothing you can do to kill them fast enough, as much as I see people complaining about IS lights, atleast the lights can be brought down with streakcrows. Not a damn thing can drop 12 twolves fast enough.

Oh yes, there are many things that can drop a generator rush fast enough...even 12 TWs.

The difference is, you have to be highly focused, calling targets, and dropping them as fast as you call them. Not everyone can pull it off...but there are certainly groups that can.

#28 Triordinant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 04 March 2015 - 07:30 AM

View PostTarogato, on 04 March 2015 - 03:06 AM, said:

Do you have a unit?

If the answer is no, then expect to have zero fun and zero success playing Community Warfare, no matter whether you are IS or Clan. Just don't bother.

QFT!

#29 Tom Sawyer

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,384 posts
  • LocationOn your 6

Posted 04 March 2015 - 07:53 AM

As others have said.

1) Find a unit. If they suck find another. Eventually you will find a decent one. If you are willing to listen and learn drop with the sons of odin or OLDS (shameless unit plug) within the FRR faction. If you do listen and can build a decent drop deck they or we will likely ask you to stick around.

2) To drop with SO or OLDS get a decent headset and use TS or Raidcall. You MUST learn to communicate.

3) LRMS are fun but not usefull in most CW games. Against a pug hodgepodge you can get away with it. Drop against a dedicated group that will bring lots of ECM you just wasted tonnage and put your team at risk.

4) ECM. Be sure to include at least one in your deck. A smart unit will rotate the duties. Yes a Raven C might not be the killing machine but when it saves your team and yourself as they save you its well worth the price.

5) HAVE FUN. If your just grinding you will burn out.

#30 Jaeger Gonzo

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 08:59 AM

To be honest CW is just boring.
Light rush is boring, on both sides, usually I was on doing it side, still boring as hell, after 5th-6th light rush and 2.25 min games in a row, man just have enough.
Counter attacking bring some fight to CW, but not enough.

Some ECM comments around here I see.
ECM is just broken crap that do not bring any positive aspects to game play, just fu/cki/ng annoy. But same BS is in public q, in CW maybe just more.

Playing vs pugs boring. As pug vs 12s, even more.
Pugs should never fight vs 12s. Just no.
On strategical level I h8 that pugs from around the galaxy come to defend our borders, that is so flowed mechanics, that is hard to speak about. Nothing against pugs, but I want our pugs defend our borders.

I find CW mechanics flowed, what are those ghost drops anyway? Some sort of sick joke?

Mercenary faction is sick flowed joke as well. Just look at MS tsunami coming around galaxy whenever they want.

I suggest to look at how mekwars servers was running more closely, as they were dealing with IS galaxy war campaign for a decade now. At some BT books.

Edited by Jaeger Gonzo, 04 March 2015 - 09:09 AM.

#31 Wingbreaker

Troubadour

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 1,724 posts
  • LocationThe city that care forgot

Posted 04 March 2015 - 09:38 AM

View PostJaeger Gonzo, on 04 March 2015 - 08:59 AM, said:

Playing vs pugs boring. As pug vs 12s, even more.
Pugs should never fight vs 12s. Just no.
On strategical level I h8 that pugs from around the galaxy come to defend our borders, that is so flowed mechanics, that is hard to speak about. Nothing against pugs, but I want our pugs defend our borders.

All I can say is, Git Gudtm

Playing in a pug versus a 12 man is a challenge, and I will always relish in it.

Edited by Wingbreaker, 04 March 2015 - 09:38 AM.

#32 Necromantion

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,193 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Posted 04 March 2015 - 09:47 AM

The amount of IS players spouting absurd BS on this post is laughable.

#33 Geisti

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2 posts
  • LocationZuerich Switzerland

Posted 04 March 2015 - 11:50 AM

Most of the time it feels relatively balanced and i win and lose.

What almost every time ends in a lose is when attacking on the ice map and running into a wall of large laser stalkers. They can get you while opening the gate and focus you down pretty fast when entering. there is no real cover and they just don't die.

I rather whant the ppc thunderbolt meta back than the larg laser wave of doom.

#34 nehebkau

• 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 04 March 2015 - 12:49 PM

So really how is this fun? All I seem to do is lose lose lose. Not too much fun and never mind every other mech seems to have ECM for the Clanners.

Simple,
First: Sell all of your LRM boat mechs and purchase 3 thunderbolt 9ss. Equip 2 with 4 ER-Large lasers (and range modules for all) and 1 with a boat-load of Medium Pulse lasers (range & rate of fire modules too). Then get a cicada 3M (ecm) with 2 ER Large Lasers.
Second: Stand 1000 M away from any energy-based canner and fire at their CT. They will fire back...but...you will do nearly full damage and they will do much, much less or, using the MPL Thunderbolt, close in to the clanner and eat their alphas on your empty arm then repeatedly alpha them in the chest as they overheat. Or, you can use your medium mechs superior speed and ECM to move around and just shoot at their legs leaving them to hobble around the battlefield.
Third: go to the forums and read the QQ posts about how ERLL range on IS mechs is over-powered and how quirks are bad for the game..
Fourth: laugh at the easy-mode players who cry whenever they encounter anything that doesn't hold to the "IS mechs are SUPPOSED to be crap compared to ours" mantra and have a drink of your favorite beverage.

Edited by nehebkau, 04 March 2015 - 12:51 PM.

#35 Necromantion

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,193 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Posted 04 March 2015 - 01:19 PM

View Postnehebkau, on 04 March 2015 - 12:49 PM, said:

Simple,
First: Sell all of your LRM boat mechs and purchase 3 thunderbolt 9ss. Equip 2 with 4 ER-Large lasers (and range modules for all) and 1 with a boat-load of Medium Pulse lasers (range & rate of fire modules too). Then get a cicada 3M (ecm) with 2 ER Large Lasers.
Second: Stand 1000 M away from any energy-based canner and fire at their CT. They will fire back...but...you will do nearly full damage and they will do much, much less or, using the MPL Thunderbolt, close in to the clanner and eat their alphas on your empty arm then repeatedly alpha them in the chest as they overheat. Or, you can use your medium mechs superior speed and ECM to move around and just shoot at their legs leaving them to hobble around the battlefield.
Third: go to the forums and read the QQ posts about how ERLL range on IS mechs is over-powered and how quirks are bad for the game..
Fourth: laugh at the easy-mode players who cry whenever they encounter anything that doesn't hold to the "IS mechs are SUPPOSED to be crap compared to ours" mantra and have a drink of your favorite beverage.

A smart IS player who actually understands that IS are not eclipsed by the almighty clams

#36 HARDKOR

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 01:21 PM

View Postnehebkau, on 04 March 2015 - 12:49 PM, said:

Simple,

THIS GUY KNOWS HIS STUFF

#37 DivideByZer0

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 257 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 01:42 PM

Clan mechs that currently have ECM capability:
-Myst Lynx
-Hellbringer
-Kitfox *edited*

Edited by DivideByZer0, 04 March 2015 - 05:38 PM.

#38 Ace Selin

• 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 04 March 2015 - 02:10 PM

View PostWingbreaker, on 04 March 2015 - 09:38 AM, said:

All I can say is, Git Gudtm

Playing in a pug versus a 12 man is a challenge, and I will always relish in it.

You play in Clan mechs, you allready have an advantage.

#39 Akula0815

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 8
  • Mercenary Rank 8
  • 53 posts
  • LocationHanover, Germany

Posted 04 March 2015 - 02:35 PM

View Postice trey, on 04 March 2015 - 03:00 AM, said:

It's plenty fun for me... You just have to
  • Use teamspeak
  • Attack with a 12-man instead of defending as a pug
Seriously. That's all it really takes. Players attacking you have to be attacking together in the same faction. Most of the time, that means using teamspeak. If you attack the clans, a lot of the time, their defense is just as disorganized as Inner Sphere defense.

IS Pug defenses provide easy money for attacking clan players.

That´s it, nothing else.
Its always close and sweaty games winning and loosing against organized IS 12men teams (10+2/8+4 are hard to beat too if they work together).

If you are not in a 12men on Teamspeak use at least the inbuild voicecom to organize your team!

Teamplay is the one called "OP" in here ;-)

akula out

Edited by Akula0815, 04 March 2015 - 02:39 PM.

#40 T0ADKILLERD0G

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 37 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 04 March 2015 - 02:40 PM

Don't worry when Steam hits and all the new pugs can only afford IS crap and get waxed over and over and over ect... PGI will need to ACTUALLY figure something out :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users