Aw Is Looking For Good Cw Drop Commanders For Training Opportunity.

49 replies to this topic

#41 Vlad Ward

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 11:22 AM

View PostMischiefSC, on 19 March 2015 - 02:53 PM, said:

Saying 'this is what happens when my team doesn't listen' isn't being a *******. If that's what it takes for you two to feel hurt and abused when you've intentionally dicked around for a match, well, okay? I'd expect to hear a 'wtf were you doing guys? You want to roll troll builds in pug queue we can go do that but derping in CW isn't cool, you're all better than that' and hearing that in public chat would have made me a bit ashamed and there are times when I've *intentionally* been bad where I should have been.

Not the same thing as just having a bad game. Sometimes you just show up with a bucket full of suck. Happens, no hard feelings. Intentionally sandbagging the team happens sometimes too and it's not unreasonable to get a smack upside the head for it.

Maybe talking to people one on one or in their private teamspeak is one thing. Publicly embarrassing your own members in front of people who you know are going to remember it and call you on it later is another thing entirely. There's no good reason to ever do that to your own people.

My skin is more than thick enough to manage that sort of criticism, no problem. Every member my unit has ever seen? Not so much, and I don't expect it either. I don't make it an entry requirement for members to be able to cope with verbal abuse because I don't think it's necessary to begin with. It's very possible to coach players and bring out the best in everyone without resorting to drill sergeant nonsense or public shaming.

Drill sergeants work in the army because raw recruits are under contract and are pretty much stuck with them until they get with the program or wash out. MWO is a video game. No one's stuck with anyone. If people don't enjoy the time they have with their own unit, they're not going to play with you any more.

The rest of the community can shlorgen my gutenmorgen. But I will always have my people's backs. Is this really such an alien concept to the carebear community?

Edited by Vlad Ward, 20 March 2015 - 11:38 AM.

#42 YCSLiesmith

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 03:19 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 20 March 2015 - 10:48 AM, said:

A bunch of school kids who couldn't figure out how to talk to members of the opposite sex without getting sprayed with mace doesn't count as a secret brotherhood of quiet contemplation. If you're all quiet, only speaking to each other because nobody else talks to you that doesn't count. Siddhartha was no otaku.

#43 Michael Costanza

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 258 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 03:35 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 11 March 2015 - 03:08 PM, said:

The cold hard brutal truth is that you need to simply ignore the LRM pugs on your team for the first wave. For the 2nd wave you use them as a distraction, because when the Clanners move forward to butcher them like the fattened cows they are you do your light rush out the other gate. Their brutal and humiliating death will buy you more time and likely be their biggest contribution to your team.

The trick is, if you ignore them, they don't learn for next time. We were all pugs once, right?

#44 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 04:27 PM

View PostMichael Costanza, on 20 March 2015 - 03:35 PM, said:

The trick is, if you ignore them, they don't learn for next time. We were all pugs once, right?

Absolutely - and in pug queue I do my best to be helpful, supportive and absolutely understanding, especially for new players. In CW though, while I do my best to be polite and supportive to my team I don't take the time and focus to provide additional support and direction aside from drop command when it's appropriate. Almost universally at this point the people LRM boating in CW either don't care or refuse to accept that LRMs are bad. CW has a solid undercurrent of people who I've labeled 'dontcares'. They are there to farm and have no interest in trying to win. They won't go with the team tactics, they won't even speak in chat. They tend to bring snipers for killstealing and LRM boats. They are a big part of why pugs on your Clan border get facerolled constantly.

View PostVlad Ward, on 20 March 2015 - 11:22 AM, said:

Maybe talking to people one on one or in their private teamspeak is one thing. Publicly embarrassing your own members in front of people who you know are going to remember it and call you on it later is another thing entirely. There's no good reason to ever do that to your own people.

My skin is more than thick enough to manage that sort of criticism, no problem. Every member my unit has ever seen? Not so much, and I don't expect it either. I don't make it an entry requirement for members to be able to cope with verbal abuse because I don't think it's necessary to begin with. It's very possible to coach players and bring out the best in everyone without resorting to drill sergeant nonsense or public shaming.

Drill sergeants work in the army because raw recruits are under contract and are pretty much stuck with them until they get with the program or wash out. MWO is a video game. No one's stuck with anyone. If people don't enjoy the time they have with their own unit, they're not going to play with you any more.

The rest of the community can shlorgen my gutenmorgen. But I will always have my people's backs. Is this really such an alien concept to the carebear community?

Admittedly most the Lancers are ex-military. Also, to be fair, the above situation has never come up - if the team ignored direction on what to bring (like, for example, no LRMs) and ran off and did their own thing it would be a pretty intentional act of dickbaggery. In such an instance I would not be offended at the drop caller for calling me out in public - I'd be offended at myself for having sandbagged my teammates on purpose.

Wasn't there for the match, I don't know HHoD that well but they seem to be good folks. I trust them to make their own decisions on what is and is not suitable. Generally, yeah. It's all about positive reinforcement. Especially with the newer members. Sometimes though, especially experienced players may need a kick in the ass. I don't consider that out of line.

#45 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 20 March 2015 - 08:51 PM

LRMboats are the scum of this game, and have always been.

#46 Kwea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 374 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 08:55 PM

View PostKerc Kasha, on 19 March 2015 - 09:22 PM, said:

nobody in nkva is boring enough to have played davion

Thank God.

Edited by Kwea, 20 March 2015 - 08:55 PM.

#47 Benjamin Davion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 367 posts
  • LocationIn my Spider 5D, killing all your Dire Wolves.

Posted 21 March 2015 - 06:23 PM

View PostVassago Rain, on 20 March 2015 - 08:51 PM, said:

LRMboats are the scum of this game, and have always been.

The funniest part is when they're standing perfectly still, mindlessly larming away, I headshot them, and then they shriek about aimbotting. Mein sides... are in orbit...

#48 Chef Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 908 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 10:35 PM

View PostKwea, on 20 March 2015 - 08:55 PM, said:

Thank God.

My sentiments exactly.

#49 jotunnheim

• Pip
  • The Ace
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 05:20 PM

The Op has made a very good request could we stay on topic in this thread and please leave topics outside the request of the op out of this and stay focused thank you. please proceed

#50 Kyle Wright

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 663 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 07:20 AM

Calon Farstar
Sent you a PM. Feel free to ask questions. Will send you more info later.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users