Can't Play The Game Anymore - My Eyes Are Just Burning Out

14 replies to this topic

#1 PEK

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 08:34 AM

A pity... It seems the game I founded turned it's back on me. After the last patch I can't play it anymore as in 5 mins on any map my eyes just got tortured...
Ain't kidding - it crucifying pain - my eyes burning, my head starts aching, and I feel seek.

First I found that effect after devs had added DX11 so I stayed on DX9 render, and after the last patch it is on DX9 too...

I've fininshed 'Like a champion MKII' event playing 3-4 hours a day, now I can't play more than 10 mins...

Does anybody know how this could be fixed? Can I got the pre-patch picture somehow? By changing any graphical settinings? I've switched Shaders and Postproccessing to Low, but in vain... Any suggestions?

#2 Vincent V. Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel IV
  • Star Colonel IV
  • 299 posts
  • LocationWarrior, Command Star, Alpha Galaxy, Clan Wolf.

Posted 05 March 2015 - 08:48 AM

You are not giving a lot of information on exactly what has changed after the patch. You say it is painful to play the game and you start feeling sick but not much else.

#3 Sarlic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 05 March 2015 - 08:56 AM

What exactly are you suffering from?

#4 Summon3r

• 2,291 posts
  • Locationowning in sommet non meta

Posted 05 March 2015 - 08:59 AM

optometrist?

#5 PEK

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 10:58 AM

If only I knew... I have normal vision btw (20/20) and can play most games for hours without any fatigue...
But games on CryEngine with DX11 support (Crysis 2 & 3 and now MWO) causes severe tension of eye muscles. The screen is like... overbrightened and oversharpened... But i set brightness to lowest levels (both ingame and via monitor menu) and use low graphical settings...

I suppose it might somehow be connected to my video card - I have AMD Radeon HD6800.

I think that render .dll of .cfg files was changed in last patch... because the difference before-after is unfortunately VERY clear (

Edited by PEK, 05 March 2015 - 11:15 AM.

#6 PEK

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 11:27 AM

I found some clues on the forum. This is by AC member in this thread http://mwomercs.com/...s-not-working/:

"I honestly can't play this game long with film grain on. It hurts my eyes and gives me a headache. "

Could I somehow switch the film grain off to check the effect?

Edited by PEK, 05 March 2015 - 11:29 AM.

#7 Inkarnus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 05 March 2015 - 11:30 AM

you know you can change any settings of your monitor in the gfx driver and monitor itself ? including colour vibrance.

#8 Sarlic

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 05 March 2015 - 11:45 AM

Yeah you can switch it off in .cfg. settings.

Not sure where the thread is. But you can open it with Notepad.

#9 Pezzer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 616 posts
  • LocationBristol, Tennessee

Posted 05 March 2015 - 02:19 PM

View PostInkarnus, on 05 March 2015 - 11:30 AM, said:

you know you can change any settings of your monitor in the gfx driver and monitor itself ? including colour vibrance.

You can do this in a separate profile via the Catalyst control so that it doesn't affect other games, I would suggest trying that before anything else. Make a MWO profile with lower colors/saturation/contrast, go into the training grounds or try to fool around with it at the start of a match until everything is set up to your liking.

#10 T0rmented

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 317 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 05 March 2015 - 03:42 PM

r_HDRGrainAmount=0.0

^ put that in your user.cfg

edit these may also be useful:
r_DepthOfField=0
gp_option_ShowCockpitGlass=0
cl_fov = 79

Edited by T0rmented, 05 March 2015 - 03:49 PM.

#11 PEK

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 01:04 AM

Thank you all for help!

TOrmented, you have my sincere gratitude! HDRGrain setting helped a lot! I'll also try other settings )

Till new battles, gentlemen!

Edited by PEK, 06 March 2015 - 01:05 AM.

#12 Averen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 01:24 AM

Just to be safe, did you disable motion blur and postAA? Fromer one is usually more about motion sickness, but the latter can be painful on the eyes too. Otherwise limiting the jaggies via MSAA can be helpful at times (TXAA is usually pretty bad). Heavy on the performance tho.

#13 9erRed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 March 2015 - 02:20 AM

Greetings,

Not sure if you can check on an ATI card control settings, but, look under the setting for
- video colour settings.
- should have colour, gamma, and advanced.
- under advanced, look at the Dynamic range setting, should be set to 'Full (0-255)' and not 16- 235.

This is the setting that sets full black and full white changes for the monitor, some settings alter this and give what looks like a washed out image, but allows for faster changes/refresh's.

And setting the rooms light levels for game play is somewhat important, really, for any long events. As well as positioning of the monitor for head and neck ease.
- Surprisingly some players have used tinted sunglass's to reduce eye strain, same image but easer on the eyes, as your only a foot away anyways.
- Do you find yourself 'blinking' a lot while playing? Check the humidity, too dry and eyes can become 'tired' quite fast.

Just some suggestions,
(ps: it would be nice of PGI to actually document 'all' the changes in there updates/patch's, instead of just 'optimized' this or that.)

9erRed

Edited by 9erRed, 06 March 2015 - 02:24 AM.

#14 Catho Sharn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 137 posts
  • LocationAmerica's Crossroads!

Posted 06 March 2015 - 07:42 AM

View PostT0rmented, on 05 March 2015 - 03:42 PM, said:

r_HDRGrainAmount=0.0

^ put that in your user.cfg

edit these may also be useful:
r_DepthOfField=0
gp_option_ShowCockpitGlass=0
cl_fov = 79

Thanks for posting this. I've noticed some additional eye strain after recent patches and the latest NVidia driver update, not sure which is the cause.

I'll be giving these settings a try. Is there a definitive list of user.cfg settings that can be tweaked anywhere?

#15 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 11:58 AM

View Post9erRed, on 06 March 2015 - 02:20 AM, said:

Not sure if you can check on an ATI card control settings, but, look under the setting for
- video colour settings.
- should have colour, gamma, and advanced.
- under advanced, look at the Dynamic range setting, should be set to 'Full (0-255)' and not 16- 235.

Hey, thanks for this bit.

Not that it would be the issue with MWO. We get various broken effects on older AMD GPUs (I have a Radeon HD 6950), and disabling stuff via user.cfg works only every other patch. For example, I am fairly certain I had film grain always on (while running the user.cfg modifier) for most of this year.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users