Mad Dog Or Hellbringer?

34 replies to this topic

#21 Creovex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 1,466 posts
  • LocationLegendary Founder, Masakari Collector, Man-O-War Collector, Wrath Collector, Gladiator Collector, Mauler Collector

Posted 07 March 2015 - 05:57 AM

Both great Mechs if you build them to your playstyle. However from a CW or team player perspective, you can never have enough ECM. That fact alone is why I say Hellbringer first, then Maddog.

#22 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 07 March 2015 - 05:58 AM

They are different animals really. The Mad dog is built around the idea of slinging missles like a boss, and with some skill and practice it can be a surprise cSRM brawler, when you use the A-pod side torsos. The thing is the arms are really low compared to where the cockpit is, and they will not protect your ST's, at all. The nice thing and the worst thing about the Mad Dog is that the Side Torsos have massive hit boxes, so you will lose one fast, the good news is, you can twist to use it as a 50% damage reduction shield.

The Hellbringer really shines when used with a group, don't let the massive stock weapons payload fool you, she is really under-armoured stock. It is one of my few laser vomit mechs, 2 cLPL and 3 cERML, rest of the tonnage, is eaten by ECM, a TC Mk 3/4, DHS and maxing out her armour.

#23 Yosharian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 06:30 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 07 March 2015 - 05:58 AM, said:

The Hellbringer really shines when used with a group, don't let the massive stock weapons payload fool you, she is really under-armoured stock. It is one of my few laser vomit mechs, 2 cLPL and 3 cERML, rest of the tonnage, is eaten by ECM, a TC Mk 3/4, DHS and maxing out her armour.

Doesn't seem like it's worth taking a TC3/4 over extra heatsinks. TC1 plus a few more heatsinks seems more optimal to me.

#24 Kinski Orlawisch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • 2,282 posts
  • LocationHH

Posted 07 March 2015 - 06:39 AM

Both. But start with the HBR.

Dropdeck: 2 Mad Dog 1 HBR 1 SCR.....Or 2 HBR and 2 SCR....

All other arguments are already written.

#25 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 07 March 2015 - 07:51 AM

Mad Dawg if you want to spam ALL THE MISSILES.

Loki if you want to do anything else.

#26 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 07 March 2015 - 08:15 AM

View PostYosharian, on 07 March 2015 - 06:30 AM, said:

Doesn't seem like it's worth taking a TC3/4 over extra heatsinks. TC1 plus a few more heatsinks seems more optimal to me.

I had them left over from the JJ locking of the Timber Wolf S-pods.... So just using what I had laying around. But issue was I had x tonnage and y crits... I could have gone with all DHS, and been a few too many tons off from the max of 65t, with no free space. As it is, my Hellbribgers are only short a couple points of armour to avoid off numbers

#27 Soul Tribunal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 606 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 March 2015 - 08:49 AM

View PostJabilo, on 07 March 2015 - 01:30 AM, said:

Been checking out out these two mechs and they both look hilariously fun with some crazy load outs possible.

Not sure which to go for... From what I can see the Mad Dog has Ferro Fibrous, which gives it extra tonnage but the Hellbringer has ECM.

Anyone got both of these mechs, and which one do you think is the most fun / effective?

For me it depends entirely on what style of play you prefer. I find the Mad Dog to be most effective when used as a support Mech to the rest of your team. Streaming LRM's to keep enemies in cover while the better brawlers close the gap. It does have the advantage of more vertical missile tubes as well meaning you can fire from terrain that is more protective of your chassis. It also as I've been finding does gauss / LRM combo pretty good too. Add a few ML's in case something gets close (and maybe a small pack of streaks). Now this is not discounting that some people are really good at making a Splat Dog (streak Boat) work, its just not how I've preferred to use this mech.

The Hellbringer to me is the quintessential close in supporter. It is best if you like getting a lot closer to the action , and being side by side with the big boys (assaults). Since you can swap out Omni's , all of my HBR builds use ECM, and a slew of Streaks and ML's since 9 times out of 10 I am close to the action by following my assaults in.

Either chassis in my eyes is Viable, and usable, just for different roles depending on what playstyle you prefer.

-ST

#28 Risko Vinsheen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 573 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 09:18 AM

Mad Dog is more fun and useful to me. I haven't been able to have fun in a Hellbringer yet except the stock B loadout, and that fun was limited. Mad Dog was fun pretty much however it was kitted out.

#29 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 07 March 2015 - 09:31 AM

I view the Mad Dog as an economy Timber Wolf. Costs less in C-Bills and Tonnage for CW. It also brings a 6 M setup to the table, making it the ideal Clan LRM platform for now. The Hellbringer is the Active Support heavy, that can compliment any other Clan heavy or assault whilst still bringing a heavy firepower loadout - usually at the expense of heat efficiency.

Both mechs are fun, reliable rides.

Example Mad Dog:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...afa9680b510dbc7

LRM earthquake simulator if you choose, but works best firing each side at a time. Able to defend itself well in a direct fire shootout, and if you remember your LRMs damage under 180, up until around 120 meters you can absolutely pummel the tar out of something. Best played by being indirect at the start of a game, and as your LRM ammo runs low, start moving in. Fresh armor, 2 ERMlas, and a Gauss rifle can go a long way.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 07 March 2015 - 09:38 AM.

#30 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 07 March 2015 - 09:35 AM

Maddog - Missile

Hellbringer - ECM

Choose your own destiny.

#31 Fate 6

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 10:29 AM

Compare the Mad Dog to the Stormcrow. Aside from getting that 6th missile hardpoint, the Mad Dog is inferior in every way. Hellbringer has nicely placed weapons and ECM.

Edited by Fate 6, 07 March 2015 - 10:29 AM.

#32 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 07 March 2015 - 10:32 AM

View PostFate 6, on 07 March 2015 - 10:29 AM, said:

Compare the Mad Dog to the Stormcrow. Aside from getting that 6th missile hardpoint, the Mad Dog is inferior in every way. Hellbringer has nicely placed weapons and ECM.

Well, yes and no. Armor is only slightly higher in the Dog. Hit boxes are superior on the crow. Crow is faster, but the Mad Dog has several tons more pod space available. Seems to trade in speed and survivability for potential firepower, IMO. Too bad it is potential firepower limited mostly in missiles, and not energy and, further, too bad ballistics are a joke overall even with the hardpoint options.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 07 March 2015 - 10:34 AM.

#33 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 11:12 AM

View PostMister D, on 07 March 2015 - 01:39 AM, said:

Hellbringer, no doubts whatso ever.

Maddog might have been a pretty good mech if the Hitboxes were layed out properly, but as is, the mech generally runs far too hot and its torso's were given far too much surface area, so when you get into any kind of fight, your torsos will just vanish no matter how you shield and turn.

Hellbringer, ECM, high hardpoints, plenty of tonnage for some brutal loadouts, fairly good hitboxes, its all around the better mech.

If you want a lesson in frustration, grab the Maddog, but if you want to kickass and have a great mech to support your team with go for the Hellbringer.

Lol, Mad Dog, to much surface area? They chopped the mech down by like 50%.....What would you say if the mech was its proper level of jutting forward torso?

#34 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 07 March 2015 - 11:13 AM

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 07 March 2015 - 11:12 AM, said:

Lol, Mad Dog, to much surface area? They chopped the mech down by like 50%.....What would you say if the mech was its proper level of jutting forward torso?

It would be an even easier target to kill/cripple.

#35 Greenjulius

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,319 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 07 March 2015 - 11:13 AM

Hellbringer in most cases, but the Mad Dog makes a good striker. It's far more fragile I feel. Mostly likely because of hitboxes.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users