• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,319 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 07 March 2015 - 01:11 PM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 07 March 2015 - 01:04 PM, said:

Sorry but I cannot agree.

Speed is very important for scouts and hit and hide lights, but it's not true that any lights must to be piloted in this way.

There is a trade here: panther has low tonnage engine, but can have more weapon tonnage and good alpha.
That said, 127 kph isn't so ****** with its very good hitboxes. I do mistakes sometime, but when I play well with attention, my match results are always around 400-500 dmg, and not piloting as it were a firestarte, of course.

If what I said ISN'T true, why weren't people piloting intentionally slow lights before the Panther? Why aren't people downgrading the engine on firestarters or jenners to cram heavier weapons in? The only exception I've ever seen is for 2xLPL builds, and those are poor on the Panther because it's weapon arm is so damn low. It practically drags on the ground on hilly maps.

The 2nd exception are the handful of people who cram an AC5 into their FS9.
Nearly every competitive build in an IS light has it going at least 130kph.

Edited by Greenjulius, 07 March 2015 - 01:12 PM.

#22 Mirumoto Izanami

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 01:12 PM

9R with two LPLs. No other light mech will do LPLs as well as the 9R. 4X can be interesting with range, but too much heat and no cooldown bonuses.

View PostGreenjulius, on 07 March 2015 - 01:11 PM, said:

The only exception I've ever seen is for 2xLPL builds, and those are poor on the Panther because it's weapon arm is so damn low. It practically drags on the ground on hilly maps.

*shrug* If you says so, sir. I feel no compunction to defend the Panther. I hope people continue to think its terrible.

Edited by Mirumoto Izanami, 07 March 2015 - 01:15 PM.

#23 STEF_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 07 March 2015 - 01:20 PM

View PostGreenjulius, on 07 March 2015 - 01:11 PM, said:

If what I said ISN'T true, why weren't people piloting intentionally slow lights before the Panther? Why aren't people downgrading the engine on firestarters or jenners to cram heavier weapons in? The only exception I've ever seen is for 2xLPL builds, and those are poor on the Panther because it's weapon arm is so damn low. It practically drags on the ground on hilly maps.

The 2nd exception are the handful of people who cram an AC5 into their FS9.
Nearly every competitive build in an IS light has it going at least 130kph.

Of course, when I drop IS, I pilot FS9, not panther.
Speed is what makes good a light, because it's more easier. All can agree with this.

But Panthers aren't bad at all. It's much easier to kill a jenner, or leg a Raven, despite thier speed.
Without FS9, I think I would drop Panthers along raven and jenner, when in comp matches.

#24 Greenjulius

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,319 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 07 March 2015 - 01:33 PM

It's okay that everyone wants to defend the Panther, but the emperor has no clothes. There are very few good reasons to run it besides, "fun."

I suppose it's great Urbie training.

#25 Mirumoto Izanami

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 01:40 PM

Indeed!
Posted Image

Edited by Mirumoto Izanami, 07 March 2015 - 01:41 PM.

#26 Greenjulius

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,319 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 07 March 2015 - 01:42 PM

View PostMirumoto Izanami, on 07 March 2015 - 01:40 PM, said:

Indeed!
Posted Image

Hey, nice playing with you. I'm clearly not "worthless" in the mech, and understand fully how to play it. The problem is I can do everything better in other mechs.

Currently I just basiced my Panthers, and I'm going to hang them out to dry for a little while so I can get more X2 bonuses.

Edited by Greenjulius, 07 March 2015 - 01:44 PM.

#27 Mirumoto Izanami

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 01:44 PM

I didnt get a chance to see what you run. What do you run?

#28 Greenjulius

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,319 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 07 March 2015 - 01:52 PM

View PostMirumoto Izanami, on 07 March 2015 - 01:44 PM, said:

I didnt get a chance to see what you run. What do you run?

I've tried a little of everything. My best rounds so far have been in:

4xMPL
1xLPL, 1xMPL, 2xSRM4
I think that round in the picture might have been 2xLPL.

I only run XL250, and as many JJ as I have space left over.

Edited by Greenjulius, 07 March 2015 - 01:58 PM.

#29 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 07 March 2015 - 02:12 PM

View PostGreenjulius, on 07 March 2015 - 01:33 PM, said:

It's okay that everyone wants to defend the Panther, but the emperor has no clothes. There are very few good reasons to run it besides, "fun."

I suppose it's great Urbie training.

just funny if they are such a non threat that you would have to expend so much energy to make a big deal about them being so bad.

As for why more people drive the FS)? Simple truth of people... the easiest path is the one taken by most people, most of the time. Easiest should not always be confused with best.

Also when you already stated things like the Locust taking advantage of Lagshield...I find that pretty telling...as it implies whenever hitreg is sorted out, those mechs are in a world of hurt, and the only real reason the others are "better" is broken mechanics.

#30 Greenjulius

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,319 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 07 March 2015 - 02:22 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 07 March 2015 - 02:12 PM, said:

Also when you already stated things like the Locust taking advantage of Lagshield...I find that pretty telling...as it implies whenever hitreg is sorted out, those mechs are in a world of hurt, and the only real reason the others are "better" is broken mechanics.

That's implying that hitreg will ever be in a good state. It never has, and likely never will.

#31 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 02:28 PM

View PostGreenjulius, on 07 March 2015 - 02:22 PM, said:

That's implying that hitreg will ever be in a good state. It never has, and likely never will.

Well, if people need crutches for a mech to be "good" that's up to them.

Also, perhaps as a Light Mech for Light pilots? It might not "fit". But as a Light Mech for a MEdium Pilot? Only Light I have done better in IS Firestarters. But since it pilots like a baby Vindicator, I find it rather easy to do pretty good in it. Am I going to regularly solo other pilots in FS9s in it? I didn't in other Light Mechs, either. And it being a useful Light Mech for a non Light Pilot matters outside PUGlandia, because for Dropdeck purposes, be it CW or just Team Drops, I might have to drop in a Light. It's better for me and my team to drop in a Mech that pilots in a familiar manner. Maybe not as good as if we had a dedicated Light guy in a FS9, but better than I will usually do for the team in that same slot.

Basically, stop looking at everything thru a black and white only one way to play looking glass. Different mechs, even "bad" ones fit different players and playstyles. It might indeed be a bad match for the average player. Doesn't make it a bad mech for everyone.

#32 Meta 2013

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 131 posts
  • LocationNorth Eastern US

Posted 07 March 2015 - 04:47 PM

personally I like my panthers ... seem to be a good balance. I do just fine in them for my average piloting skill.

My complaint is with the Enforcer ... I stood toe to toe with one today ... I in my Orion with an ac20 and 2 large pulse lasers ... 3 full strikes to it in the chest turned it yellow. It was not moving. I had to disengage as it had torn my torso armor off and taken down a laser. Still yellow, I think after the last shot it finally turned a light orange color and that was after 3 direct 20 shots, 4 large laser shots, and an arty strike. What gives? My description when people ask about it.... I say it has hit boxes the of a spider. It also spreads damage just as well. I had one charge me in my 4 lrg pulse laser Banchee, it ran straight at me, took 4 shots from each set of 2 direct on the ct to drop it. even if I was off on some, should have taken out something. My fairly fresh bsanshe was crippled after that encounter, it was one shot from droppin me.

So the new "FS" as far as not registering Damage well is the Enforcer.

Compare that to myst lynx that has the side torsos of an awesome, the arms have a hit box like the CT on a crab, and you now have a truly crappy and useless mech. If you even look at a lynx for more than a second it just runs ... hard to find them in matches, but on rare occasion someone is brave enough to use one, or more likely is still grinding basics, when you do, ya smile, and chase it, you know all you have to do is shoot in its direction and get close... it will drop.

a lynx gets 6 tons for ammo and weapons, but the limited pod choices strangle that beyond realistic. Put an ecm on, and things really get dicey as far as payload goes, you now have it all in one very weak arm that get blown off the first time it gets shot. Piss poor mech and horrible load out design - and worse, PGI charged us real money for these. The locust always had one thing going for it, speed, add some quirks, and it was usable. Don't see quirks helping this mech that much, still no payload room, and still to slow.

Personally I keep thinkin I'll try spiders, that has to be the ultimate fun, walk up in front of a Dashi, alpha strike it, over heat, shut down, wait a few moments, power back up, check the fluid levels, check your modules,yep still got a cool shot, wipe the inside of the wind screen down, hit the wipers an clear the residual residue left from the expended ordinance from the dashi, which has now pumped enough ammo into you to supply a full medium lance on a drop deck, as the dashi comes into view your mesmerized by the light show displayed in front of you as your teammates have flanked the dashi and are now turning its arms and torsos into little brillo sized chunks. You wait patiently playing with your pug bobble head, and take the kill shot on the dashi, then tootle off to find the next mech to piss off. Yeah try that in a wave II mech.

GL Have Fun

Meta

Edited by Meta 2013, 07 March 2015 - 05:27 PM.

#33 Vanguard836

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,101 posts
  • LocationOttawa, ON

Posted 07 March 2015 - 04:53 PM

It's a fun mech to play definitely. Not the easiest to deal tons of damage in, not the fastest but it still fun and can be effective.

#34 StraferX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 640 posts
  • LocationWest Virginia

Posted 07 March 2015 - 07:31 PM

View PostGreenjulius, on 07 March 2015 - 12:25 PM, said:

I'm simply blown away that people are defending a mech that's worse than any other 35 tonner IS can field.

Even though this doa Panther is my fav mech ATM I'm going to go ahead and agree with you and hope they give it the quirks it deserves. ;)

#35 Greenjulius

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,319 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 07 March 2015 - 07:38 PM

View PostStraferX, on 07 March 2015 - 07:31 PM, said:

Even though this doa Panther is my fav mech ATM I'm going to go ahead and agree with you and hope they give it the quirks it deserves. ;)

I'm okay if this "Death Machine" gets better quirks. I don't think I've ever felt threatened by one however... :)

#36 MonkeyCheese

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 07 March 2015 - 11:03 PM

View PostFupDup, on 07 March 2015 - 12:28 PM, said:

Well, the Pan is at least more durable (better hitboxed) than Jenners and Ravens, for what that's worth.

It could use some of its quirks being nudged up (particularly those useless +15% missile range quirks!) but the mech as a whole isn't completely unsalvageable. In particular I'd like for [ER]PPCs not to suck when unquirked, because quirked versions inherit some of that suckiness.

I havent really had too much time with my panthers yet but after playing jenners and ravens for so so very long I do agree 100% that the panthers hitboxes are so much more durable than the jenner and raven hitboxes but yes the firestarter is STILL the king of the 35toners but yeah it feels so OP to me that I sold all but my ember and honestly that collects dust because easymode is no fun for me, thats why for the last few months my go to mechs to have a "fun/challenging" time in MWO have been locusts and lynxes with the occasional suicidal brawler of mine the anansi.

Edited by MonkeyCheese, 07 March 2015 - 11:04 PM.

#37 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 08 March 2015 - 04:04 AM

I was pleasantly surprised at how good my Panther is doing. I have a Timber Wolf and 2 Dire Wolf kills in my 10K. B)

#38 Mad Strike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLima , Peru

Posted 08 March 2015 - 08:13 AM

A player i introduced to MWO 4 months ago bought the panther pack........he's killing 4/3 mechs per match (i'm getting the same numbers) with it so the "panther is bad" statement is BS.

About the Enforcer , don't be so tryhards on it. I'm using it for the whole week and is a nice mech , the only problem here is that you guys want some OP **** instead of a balanced mech so stop lying and say it.

Edited by strikebrch, 08 March 2015 - 08:13 AM.

#39 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 08:21 AM

View Poststrikebrch, on 08 March 2015 - 08:13 AM, said:

A player i introduced to MWO 4 months ago bought the panther pack........he's killing 4/3 mechs per match (i'm getting the same numbers) with it so the "panther is bad" statement is BS.

About the Enforcer , don't be so tryhards on it. I'm using it for the whole week and is a nice mech , the only problem here is that you guys want some OP **** instead of a balanced mech so stop lying and say it.

couldn't agree more. I run a non meta, non exciting, simple "1-2 punch" layout on my ENF-4R (AC10/ERPPC+ Mlaser) and do rather well in it. Ditto my PNT-10K (ERPPC/SRMs)

Match the tool to the jump...stop trying to stretch every tool to fit one narrow application. Problem is most people 1) want the easiest way to achieve anything, and 2) want to do everything a single, comfortable way. Which is why some mechs just don't fit some people. Just because some people can't make something work, doesn't make it "bad". There are very few truly "bad" mechs in the game currently, and those tend to be ones with hideous hitboxes, etc.

#40 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 08 March 2015 - 08:30 AM

View PostGreenjulius, on 07 March 2015 - 12:25 PM, said:

I'm simply blown away that people are defending a mech that's worse than any other 35 tonner IS can field.

That still means it's the worst of the best light mechs, which isn't quite the same as useless.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users