Panther Has Bite

47 replies to this topic

#41 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 08 March 2015 - 08:34 AM

View PostGreenjulius, on 07 March 2015 - 01:11 PM, said:

If what I said ISN'T true, why weren't people piloting intentionally slow lights before the Panther?

Some people were. One of my favourite Commando builds run at "Panther speed" - 121 kph. If you know what you're doing, 120 kph is enough.

My PNT-8Z plays like a more heavily armed/armoured Commando:

Posted Image

View PostGreenjulius, on 07 March 2015 - 01:11 PM, said:

Why aren't people downgrading the engine on firestarters or jenners to cram heavier weapons in?

Because they don't have to. 4xML + secondaries is enough to shred backsides, and backsides are easier to get to if you're fast. But easier doesn't mean "the only way".

#42 Ted Wayz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,913 posts
  • LocationTea with Romano

Posted 08 March 2015 - 09:23 AM

I thought the OP was referring to the way it looks like it is chomping when it is moving. Dem teeth!

Fun mech when not hunted by other more mobile light mechs.

#43 Nori Silverrage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 332 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 12:14 PM

I'm enjoying them. ERPCC, 2x SRM4 for this match. Sniped from up high for a while then went down and cleaned house with the SRMs. Actually ran out.

Posted Image

#44 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 08 March 2015 - 01:04 PM

View PostNori Silverrage, on 08 March 2015 - 12:14 PM, said:

I'm enjoying them. ERPCC, 2x SRM4 for this match. Sniped from up high for a while then went down and cleaned house with the SRMs. Actually ran out.

I run out of SRM ammo almost every match, but then I only take the one ton, and I brawl a lot :)

#45 Greenjulius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,319 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 08 March 2015 - 01:09 PM

View PostSatan n stuff, on 08 March 2015 - 08:30 AM, said:

That still means it's the worst of the best light mechs, which isn't quite the same as useless.

I guess there is merit in that statement. It's definitely better than the Adder and Mist Lynx, although I think the Kitfox is a more versatile and useful mech than the Panther. I've yet to break 1k damage with the Panther, while I've done it many times in the Kitfox, even post clan energy nerfs. Mount a UAC5 and 3 ERML, and the Kitfox can do the same job that the Panther is supposed to, only better and cooler.

The problem is that it can't be compared to many IS mechs because it's the most limited IS mech. It's the slowest IS mech, because it can never go above 127.3kph, no matter what. It can make up for that with some of it's quirks, I'll admit. The 9R, with it's 15% energy heat reduction, can make a solid laserboat, The 8Z suffers the most however, as it didn't get heat reduction quirks. You'd be better off running a Spider 5D with 2xERLL at the moment, as it can do the same things, only faster and with ECM.

I'm still trying to figure out the 10K. PPC registration is abysmal, and half my shots seem to disappear inside enemy mechs without doing damage. At the moment I just gave up on PPCs and just fell back on LPLs.

Edited by Greenjulius, 08 March 2015 - 01:12 PM.

#46 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 09 March 2015 - 03:32 AM

View PostGreenjulius, on 07 March 2015 - 10:25 AM, said:

It's still half the mech that the firestarter is. Everything the Panther can do, the Firestarter can perform more efficiently, and faster.

I don't know if I have ever seen a long range sniper/harasser Firestarter. Ever.

All my Panthers are doing 124kph too, so its still in IS light range speed (even if it is the low spectrum of it).

Lastly, using the Firestarter as a benchmark for IS lights is like using a pre-nerfed Thunderbolt 9S as a benchmark for all IS heavies. Your using a mech that many see as over-quirked as the gold standard for all IS lights, that isn't exactly fair for any IS light that's properly balanced.

Edited by MeiSooHaityu, 09 March 2015 - 03:33 AM.

#47 Meta 2013

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 131 posts
  • LocationNorth Eastern US

Posted 01 May 2015 - 01:43 PM

lets not forget the Fire starter still has broken hit boxes. 4 er large lasers twice to the front of an FS ... turned it yellow. Probably a combination of the still and probably forever hitreg issues, combined with spyder like hit boxes, and you get the unkillable FS, almost every match that comes down to the last mech on the other team, its usually a spyder or a FS, at least the panthers take the damage, they just spread it well. Fire starters just don't register half the damage they take.

#48 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 01 May 2015 - 09:49 PM

I wish that either the Jenner had comparable hitboxes to other Light mechs, or every other Light mech would be as CT on legs as the Jenner is.

That would probably fix all the invincibility issues on light mechs. Because at the moment, the Jenner seems less durable than the Lolcust (probably due its size) and definitely nowhere near as tanky as every other 35 tonner.

Pretty much all firestarters, panthers, etc, seem to lose every single point of armor on all of their components before going down, when jenners die with their armor barely yellow or even unscratched, just missing their CT.

I'm not only talking about my experience piloting them, but also fighting them.
Jenner is quite easily the light mech i WANT to end up fighting. It's the only one i can take out without getting circle-strafed to death.

Edited by Juodas Varnas, 01 May 2015 - 09:51 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users