Planet Occupation Too Easy.

23 replies to this topic

#1 ThirtyOughtSix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 318 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 07:47 AM

Does anyone else think taking a planet is too smooth and easy going? I'm just thinking, faction rolls in completes attack phase has control. I'd imagine militia and populations wouldn't be so easy going? Maybe we can implement a system where each planet taken needs to be occupied for X number of days.

For instance, FRR takes a planet. The planet then becomes "occupied" by the players that took it. IE their mechs are locked to that planet for, say, 7 days. It does not mean that the players cannot select a new deck and go defend or attack. Just their first deck is locked (equipment included). This would stall the ease by which a faction can roll planets and keep the heavy hitters from going planet to planet in a single day. If the original player in unavailable to defend taken planet matchmaker asks for reinforcents.

A lot to ask. But given CW has been out for 3 months and we've completely blown out 1 faction (FRR) this might slow things down a hair.

Thoughts?

#2 YCSLiesmith

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 07:57 AM

that seems like it would be really unfun for a multiplayer game, especially for poorer players with only a few mechs. and also it doesn't really fit with the lore, where mechs drop in, wipe out the resistance, and move on. The "story" of CW is that there's an invasion armada being held off by orbital guns, and the players drop in dropships, take out the orbital gun, and behind them follow the tanks and planes and elemental infantry brigades.

or the other team defends the orbital gun and the attack fleet is incapable of landing, obviously

Edited by YCSLiesmith, 12 March 2015 - 07:57 AM.

#3 ThirtyOughtSix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 318 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 08:05 AM

View PostYCSLiesmith, on 12 March 2015 - 07:57 AM, said:

that seems like it would be really unfun for a multiplayer game, especially for poorer players with only a few mechs. and also it doesn't really fit with the lore, where mechs drop in, wipe out the resistance, and move on. The "story" of CW is that there's an invasion armada being held off by orbital guns, and the players drop in dropships, take out the orbital gun, and behind them follow the tanks and planes and elemental infantry brigades.

or the other team defends the orbital gun and the attack fleet is incapable of landing, obviously

I agree with this but there is always trial mechs - drop decks could be allowed for use in regular games too...Maybe I'm crazy but at the rate CW currently goes we'll get a map reset by mid April. I don't think anyone wants a map reset....if not absolutely neccessary.

#4 Crockdaddy

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,684 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSaint Louis

Posted 12 March 2015 - 08:06 AM

I believe you are asking for some sort of logistics mechanic. I don't know what PGI has on the drawing board but planets started switching hands much more rapidly due to player demand. I.E. other time zones legitimately felt left out as cease fire was originally only in the NA timezone. Now that we have three cease fires as requested you can literally (depending on that whacky algorithm) take 3 planets per fact in a given 24 hour period. Honestly what screwed FRR is

1. You are supposed to get screwed (by lore and game mechanic)
2. Davion at the start of CW attacked into Kurita, LIAO, and Marik plus made themselves a alliance with the second largest faction in the game Steiner (this may be disputable but they look big on the map) which kicked off the Inner Sphere wars (which should have happened pre-clan release anyway)
3. MERC cartels whom are primarily Loyal with CGB (-MS- and CI) have worked to destabilize what is already a not so friendly Inner Sphere.

#5 YCSLiesmith

• 1,040 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 08:13 AM

Trial mechs suck. Is it fair to make new players, the ones who have only a few mechs and need every advantage they can get, is it fair to force them into trial mechs? You're talking about increasing the cost of entry for a full night of CW by hundreds of millions of cbills.

Another problem with your plan to lock my mechs to a specific world:
I'm a member of NKVA, a recognizable unit with house Kurita. House Kurita has half a dozen worlds being attacked every ceasefire. Sometimes more than one planet against a single house! Now, what if someone says 'oh hey, NKVA are dropping here, no one drop on this world, instead we'll drop on the other world we have a lane to." Well damn, now I'm ghost dropping, and a whole loyalist 12 man is locked into a planet no one is attacking while other worlds burn.

What if I drop into CW a little early and decide to defend a steiner world against the clans? What before was just a casual pick up game now locks my best mechs to a world that I do not care about at all, while battles rage at Kurita borders on a full dozen other worlds. There are games on and I can't play in them. If i care about the dumb dots on the map I'm mad because I can't influence them anymore. This is intolerable.

Now say I drop against MS for a couple drops. This is my big weekly Game Night, I'm planning on playing for a few hours tonight! I have cleared my damn schedule for this ****. Now after a half hour the MS guys are all 'gg we gotta go to bed though' and stop dropping. Now I'm locked to a world where no one is dropping, I've cleared out the planet with ghost drops, and you want me stuck there for a week???

#6 ThirtyOughtSix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 318 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 08:19 AM

View PostYCSLiesmith, on 12 March 2015 - 08:13 AM, said:

Trial mechs suck. Is it fair to make new players, the ones who have only a few mechs and need every advantage they can get, is it fair to force them into trial mechs? You're talking about increasing the cost of entry for a full night of CW by hundreds of millions of cbills.

Another problem with your plan to lock my mechs to a specific world:
I'm a member of NKVA, a recognizable unit with house Kurita. House Kurita has half a dozen worlds being attacked every ceasefire. Sometimes more than one planet against a single house! Now, what if someone says 'oh hey, NKVA are dropping here, no one drop on this world, instead we'll drop on the other world we have a lane to." Well damn, now I'm ghost dropping, and a whole loyalist 12 man is locked into a planet no one is attacking while other worlds burn.

What if I drop into CW a little early and decide to defend a steiner world against the clans? What before was just a casual pick up game now locks my best mechs to a world that I do not care about at all, while battles rage at Kurita borders on a full dozen other worlds. There are games on and I can't play in them. If i care about the dumb dots on the map I'm mad because I can't influence them anymore. This is intolerable.

Now say I drop against MS for a couple drops. This is my big weekly Game Night, I'm planning on playing for a few hours tonight! I have cleared my damn schedule for this ****. Now after a half hour the MS guys are all 'gg we gotta go to bed though' and stop dropping. Now I'm locked to a world where no one is dropping, I've cleared out the planet with ghost drops, and you want me stuck there for a week???

Clearly my idea has offended you and I aplogize for that. I personally do not care what happens to a faction. I am wary of CW becoming a blunder by which factions disappear before the 3rd inning. For a seriously competitive player this is of course going to make a lot of people upset - limitations always do. Trust me I don't even have half a decent drop deck this would have serious adverse effects on my ability in CW. I'm more concerned, no, convinced that CW is at a major hurdle in terms of balance.

Edited by Hyper99, 12 March 2015 - 08:20 AM.

#7 The Droid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 186 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:03 AM

In the lore there are crappy militia/garrison mechs to handle occupation stuff.

#8 ThirtyOughtSix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 318 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:06 AM

View PostThe Droid, on 12 March 2015 - 09:03 AM, said:

In the lore there are crappy militia/garrison mechs to handle occupation stuff.

Agreed. In lore planets did uprise. Did they not? I've read many of the books but can't exactly remeber.

#9 The Droid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 186 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:09 AM

View PostHyper99, on 12 March 2015 - 09:06 AM, said:

Agreed. In lore planets did uprise. Did they not? I've read many of the books but can't exactly remeber.

What I mean is that in the context of MWO it is not "our" (the players') job to worry about that.

#10 HARDKOR

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:24 AM

I like the idea except for how it penalizes the space poor. I have tons of viable drop decks, but many people can barely scrape together one thats decent, and they tend to be the newer people, who certainly don't need it made harder for them.

#11 ThirtyOughtSix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 318 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:35 AM

View PostHARDKOR, on 12 March 2015 - 09:24 AM, said:

I like the idea except for how it penalizes the space poor. I have tons of viable drop decks, but many people can barely scrape together one thats decent, and they tend to be the newer people, who certainly don't need it made harder for them.

While I agree to a certain extent wouldn't stock to stock mechs level the playing field?

#12 Tasker

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:38 AM

View PostHyper99, on 12 March 2015 - 09:35 AM, said:

While I agree to a certain extent wouldn't stock to stock mechs level the playing field?

No. Stock mechs garbage, but IS stock mech hotter garbage than clan stock mech.

Edited by Tasker, 12 March 2015 - 09:39 AM.

#13 Nightmare1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:40 AM

This idea might be viable with modifications except for the fact that we only have one drop deck right now...

#14 HARDKOR

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:53 AM

View PostHyper99, on 12 March 2015 - 09:35 AM, said:

Almost noone wants to play in stock mechs. I know I certainly don't.

#15 ThirtyOughtSix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 318 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:56 AM

View PostNightmare1, on 12 March 2015 - 09:40 AM, said:

This idea might be viable with modifications except for the fact that we only have one drop deck right now...

Let's get constructive so that when we come up with something PGI won't implent it -_-

#16 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 12 March 2015 - 10:04 AM

View PostHyper99, on 12 March 2015 - 09:56 AM, said:

Let's get constructive so that when we come up with something PGI won't implent it -_-

Maybe PGI can give us a second drop deck? :blink:

:lol:

#17 HARDKOR

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 10:05 AM

I coulda sworn the multiple drop deck thing was supposed to happen by now.

#18 ThirtyOughtSix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 318 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 10:06 AM

View PostNightmare1, on 12 March 2015 - 10:04 AM, said:

Maybe PGI can give us a second drop deck? :blink:

:lol:

Don't see why you'd need one. Just your mechs already used would be locked...and only owned mechs can be locked...?

#19 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 10:22 AM

Don't care for the original idea, but multiple drop decks is a must at some point.

#20 pbiggz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,686 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 12 March 2015 - 10:23 AM

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users