42 replies to this topic

#1 DrSlamastika

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 702 posts
  • LocationSlovakia

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:29 AM

I was so happy when I saw the new weapon cooldown modules. .

I thought this modules are for better cooling efficiency, after nerf of lasers.
So I bought one for C-ERML.Cose before nerf my DIREWHALE had 1.13 HEAT MGMT and now 1.05 :(

So when my heat management was still on 1.05 I get it, this is for better cadence. I was so stupid :)

It can be good for some ballistic or rockets, but not for energy weapons, cose better cadence make a more heat.

It will be great, if there will be some modules for this kind of problem, better cooling of the gun.

This is only thing which can make me happy after this nerfs. And there should be more differend kinds of weapons modules.

Just my two cents.

Edited by DrSlamastika, 10 September 2014 - 09:56 AM.

#2 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:32 AM

yeah, their decision way back when, to describe RoF as Cooldown has probably added a layer of confusion.

#3 Dracol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 2,539 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:32 AM

My stormcrow I run with 1 LL and 4 Meds and plenty of heatsinks. It runs fairly cool to begin with and has benefited from the cool down mod.

#4 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:40 AM

View PostDracol, on 10 September 2014 - 09:32 AM, said:

My stormcrow I run with 1 LL and 4 Meds and plenty of heatsinks. It runs fairly cool to begin with and has benefited from the cool down mod.

yeah, of course you are already (due to heat) down one Large form the old "optimal" build.

#5 process

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:45 AM

I don't think I'll be getting it for energy weapons, due to the faster heat generation and already decent cooldown times. You get a lot more bang for your buck the longer the base weapon cooldown is. For slow, cool weapons, it's a pretty substantial improvement -- 0.48 seconds for AC20, Gauss, and SRM6 at level 5.

Edited by process, 10 September 2014 - 09:48 AM.

#6 Hillslam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,198 posts
  • LocationWestern Hemisphere

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:47 AM

PGI will never EVER offer anything to alleviate heat.

They feel its a core gameplay-affecting lever for them to use to impact Time To Kill (TTK) and other match aspects they care about.

#7 Russ Bullock

President

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 909 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:50 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 10 September 2014 - 09:32 AM, said:

yeah, their decision way back when, to describe RoF as Cooldown has probably added a layer of confusion.

This is probably fair and something that we should look into changing.

Yes it's true that there more useful for ballistic weapons. Weapons such as lasers will only get an advantage in small bursts or for mechs that have left space for lots of heatsinks and heat efficiency. Also in those situations where people are chain firing their lasers they will see some advantage.

But yes for balance reasons I do not think we will ever see a module that acts like a heat sink.

#8 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:52 AM

View PostRuss Bullock, on 10 September 2014 - 09:50 AM, said:

Yes it's true that there more useful for ballistic weapons. Weapons such as lasers will only get an advantage in small bursts or for mechs that have left space for lots of heatsinks and heat efficiency. Also in those situations where people are chain firing their lasers they will see some advantage.

But yes for balance reasons I do not think we will ever see a module that acts like a heat sink.

Glad to hear that. If you did, I would hope, and actually hope with the current ones, it is a give/take thing. Slightly cooler, means, slightly shorter range, or such. Actually got a Topic going about just such things for Modules ATM.

#9 A banana in the tailpipe

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,696 posts
  • Locationbehind your mech

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:55 AM

Have you weighed the implications of faster firing weapons and time to kill ratios or will this just result in more ghost heats nerfs over the long run?

#10 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:57 AM

I didn't even know that they put these out yet.... hmmmmm maybe my 12 er small laser nova can brawl again? :-)

#11 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:59 AM

View PostBill Lumbar, on 10 September 2014 - 09:57 AM, said:

I didn't even know that they put these out yet.... hmmmmm maybe my 12 er small laser nova can brawl again? :-)

nope.

Again, it's the confusion of the definition.

"Cooldown" is how long the weapons take to cycle, or RoF, not their "cooling efficiency".

You pop those on your 12 er smalls, and will overheat REAL fast.

#12 Carrie Harder

Clone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • LocationCarrying pugs up Mount Tryhard

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:59 AM

While you're here, is there a specific reason that a number of weapons were excluded from cooldown and/or range modules? I.e. why no AC/2 cooldown or C-SSRM4 range?

#13 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:04 AM

View PostCarrie Harder, on 10 September 2014 - 09:59 AM, said:

While you're here, is there a specific reason that a number of weapons were excluded from cooldown and/or range modules? I.e. why no AC/2 cooldown or C-SSRM4 range?

They nerfed ac2 cooldown in the past for a reason. Using a module to bring it back would be counter productive to that, would you not agree? And the C-SSRM4 I can totally see them not wanting to make too attractive. There are certain other conspicuously absent Weapon/Module combinations, which seem to coincide with heavily used/easily abused weapons and the areas that might make them a balance issue.

Mind you, that is just my read on it, and I neither claim nor intend to speak for, Russ.

#14 Carrie Harder

Clone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:11 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 10 September 2014 - 10:04 AM, said:

They nerfed ac2 cooldown in the past for a reason. Using a module to bring it back would be counter productive to that, would you not agree? And the C-SSRM4 I can totally see them not wanting to make too attractive. There are certain other conspicuously absent Weapon/Module combinations, which seem to coincide with heavily used/easily abused weapons and the areas that might make them a balance issue.

Mind you, that is just my read on it, and I neither claim nor intend to speak for, Russ.

The AC/2 cooldown nerf was arguably unneccessary, as the only issue with the weapon was the amount of impulse/shake it caused, not its damage output. And besides, every other AC got a cooldown mod, so right now it's the odd man out (even more than it used to be).

For SSRM4, they already gave a range mod to the SSRM6 and cooldown to SSRM2 (both factions), so I don't really see any "abuse" potential here. Also, infamous "abused" weapons like PPCs, Gauss, and AC/5 get cooldown mods, which contradicts that argument.

There doesn't seem to be any real consistent rhyme or reason for those exclusions.

#15 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:16 AM

View PostCarrie Harder, on 10 September 2014 - 10:11 AM, said:

The AC/2 cooldown nerf was arguably unneccessary, as the only issue with the weapon was the amount of impulse/shake it caused, not its damage output. And besides, every other AC got a cooldown mod, so right now it's the odd man out (even more than it used to be).

For SSRM4, they already gave a range mod to the SSRM6 and cooldown to SSRM2 (both factions), so I don't really see any "abuse" potential here. Also, infamous "abused" weapons like PPCs, Gauss, and AC/5 get cooldown mods, which contradicts that argument.

There doesn't seem to be any real consistent rhyme or reason for those exclusions.

You consider it arguably unnecessary. PGI did not, else they would not have nerfed it. The module would be going counter to their belief on the weapon.

*shrugs*

View PostCarrie Harder, on 10 September 2014 - 10:11 AM, said:

PPC heat makes cooldown a delightful trap.

#16 Coolant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:21 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 10 September 2014 - 09:32 AM, said:

Cooldown was the term in MW4:Mercs. No confusion if you played that...

#17 Carrie Harder

Clone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:22 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 10 September 2014 - 10:16 AM, said:

You consider it arguably unnecessary. PGI did not, else they would not have nerfed it. The module would be going counter to their belief on the weapon.

*shrugs*

What's ironic is that the AC/5 gets a cooldown mod, and in the past it had a cooldown nerf as well (1.5s to 1.66s). And that new module cancels out that nerf (roughly 1.46s cooldown now). And the range mods on various Clan lasers somewhat counteract their own range nerfs. If they didn't want to "undo" nerfs of the past with new modules, they kinda messed that plan up.

View PostBishop Steiner, on 10 September 2014 - 10:16 AM, said:

PPC heat makes cooldown a delightful trap.

That's besides the point. PPCs were just brought up as one counterexample of "abused" weapons being skipped for modules.

#18 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:24 AM

Nice to see more
Saying what you do.

#19 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:31 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 10 September 2014 - 09:59 AM, said:

nope.

Again, it's the confusion of the definition.

"Cooldown" is how long the weapons take to cycle, or RoF, not their "cooling efficiency".

You pop those on your 12 er smalls, and will overheat REAL fast.

Ha ha... I see, yep, I get it now. I got all excited thinking it helped heat diss, not the weapon cool down rate to increase firing speed. Well maybe this will work on my 5 small laser Locust than....:-)

#20 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:42 AM

View PostCarrie Harder, on 10 September 2014 - 10:22 AM, said:

What's ironic is that the AC/5 gets a cooldown mod, and in the past it had a cooldown nerf as well (1.5s to 1.66s). And that new module cancels out that nerf (roughly 1.46s cooldown now). And the range mods on various Clan lasers somewhat counteract their own range nerfs. If they didn't want to "undo" nerfs of the past with new modules, they kinda messed that plan up.

That's besides the point. PPCs were just brought up as one counterexample of "abused" weapons being skipped for modules.

and unless they added it, you will note that there was no range enhancement for it. Which would be the issues with it, not cooldown.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users