4Th Fracking Time Tonight

48 replies to this topic

#1 crustydog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 March 2015 - 07:46 PM

Can I tell you how much joy I get from having my drop zone camped?

About so much joy, I just lost my wallet.

Amazing how that happens.

#2 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 10 March 2015 - 07:55 PM

Duplicate Thread #5,122

Have you tried turning it off and back on again?

Or perhaps... pushing back? Like was suggested that past 5,121 times?

C2 on Sulphurous, for example, is probably the worst dropship camping zone in the game. Even with that spot, all you have to do is prevent the attackers from actually getting there in the first place. Hold them back in C3, don't let them pass.

Impossibru? Ah, but that's what teamwork is for.

PGI has basically acknowledged that spawn camping is an issue that will be looked at over time, but until then, there are ways to combat it. I suggest you employ them.

Edited by Tarogato, 10 March 2015 - 07:55 PM.

#3 XphR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationTVM-Iceless Fold Space Observatory Entertaining cats...

Posted 10 March 2015 - 07:56 PM

Enough joy you exclaim mining techniques?

#4 crustydog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 March 2015 - 07:58 PM

I am sure I am now using the best method for lighting a fire under PGI in the motivation department.

I haven't rage quit - but I am now on strike.

#5 Funkmaster Rick

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • 184 posts
  • Locationis just an illusion.

Posted 10 March 2015 - 08:23 PM

A surrender option would be a mildly useful stopgap solution against unwanted spawncamping. Personally, I would only use it when I'm on a pub team that just got stomped by an organized 12-man. It would basically be a button that declares, "I'm done with this; you are not a fun team to play against, and your existence is a negative fun-sink for the rest of the community."

Because, well, sometimes it's fun to fight-to-the-death-no-matter-the-odds, but most of the time spawncamping situations are not fun for the campees, and only marginally entertaining for the campers. It's the responsibility of any organized group of players to win gracefully - a skill that seems underdeveloped in some sections of this community.

I've definitely been in games where being spawncamped was not entirely boring and off-putting, but it takes work on the part of the victors to recognize the situation and adjust it so it can still be fun for the other team. I understand the competitive aspect, and still find the manners of some groups to be lacking.

#6 Tasker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 08:30 PM

Counterpoint: try play counterattack on Canyon with defenders camp on dropship ledge.

Dropship camp better than dropship camp.

#7 crustydog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 March 2015 - 09:41 PM

There are several serious issues...

What I would like to see is a clear road map, a plan to address these issues, or a least a definitive outline.

I am just not getting a sense of that.

Instead I am getting the Shawshank Redemption?

Camping my drop zone, just call me 'Andy.'

#8 Tasker

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 09:43 PM

Camping of dropships on offense not a big deal. It means defenders badly outmatched and result in faster end of match. Attackers who camp dropships going to win easy with 48 points. Faster end of game = better resolution.

#9 Nihil 75

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 02:19 AM

stop giving ground to the enemy by waiting near omega / drop.

#10 Mavqie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 116 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 02:27 AM

i can never remember the map names

But 1 map the defenders have the spawn point away from the objectives and higher up which is good

all the other maps the drop points are literally on top of the objectives which is the problem, they need to move the defenders drop zones away from the objectives or just so you drop in some cover instead of in the open

#11 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 11 March 2015 - 02:38 AM

I do get the frustration, especially when the other team isn't on counterattack and just kill Omega and be done with it. Instead, they spend the rest of the time basically farming mechs dropping in in ones and twos with zero chance of re-securing the drop zone.

No one likes to be an XP farm vs 12 mechs. That's not fun.

The only ways you could really stop it, though, would be to either have a drop zone that isn't accessible to the enemy (so land on a high plateau with an artificial "slide" down to the combat zone, for example, or a base where the defenders could group up), or have the dropships actually carry the weapons they had in table-top (a single Leopard, for example, had a zone-clearing 3 LRM20s, 5 LLs, 7 MLs, and 2 PPCs). The problem with the latter being that having to withdraw just because a dropship is inbound isn't particularly fun, either.

The only solutions in the meantime, as others have pointed out, are "fight harder," and as a solo-dropper myself, I do absolutely understand how little consolation that is vs Clan deathballs.

Edited by Dawnstealer, 11 March 2015 - 02:38 AM.

#12 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 02:52 AM

Just based on the one match I dropped with you last night, I noticed that you weren't (at least in that match) very aggressive in pushing and controlling the enemy location and fire lanes. You also spent a lot of time out of position and not firing your lasers, which is hard to fault you for in some ways being that you weren't part of our group in that match - but you also didn't pick up on the target I had trapped directly behind but focussed on me you until I called it on comms so situation awareness is something that may play a factor as well.

Overall a good player that did follow group commands (more important than a lot of people understand) which puts you way ahead of a lot of pugs we've played with, just need to up that aggression level some, work on swapping out with others to take point on key locations so damage can be spread out more.

Also sorry you experienced some camping, but usually that's a sure result of a team not aggressively defending their spawn and the gate points. A lot of pugs fall back and don't hold their ground after the first couple shots on their mech.

#13 Xeraphale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 241 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 11 March 2015 - 04:59 AM

I have been in a large number of CW games with my unit where we got to the point where we were at the opposition's spawn site. A fair amount of time we would call out zellbrigen for a bit of fun. However, much of the time there isn't time for it because a ceasefire is almost upon us and we want the match over quickly so that we can get as many drops in as possible to win the planet.

If PGI could come up with a better method of taking a planet which didn't have a time limit on it then maybe there wouldn't be the need to get the match over with ASAP.

But hey-ho, we are in CW beta after all and its a work in progress. Things will inevitably change.

#14 Tasker

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 06:30 AM

View PostMavqie, on 11 March 2015 - 02:27 AM, said:

But 1 map the defenders have the spawn point away from the objectives and higher up which is good

Funny you say this. That map actually bad for defenders for that reason. Ask you question: are interested in winning matches, or interested in not being spawn camped so easily? In either case, easy to spawn camp bad team on canyon map as well.

#15 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 06:37 AM

dropzones are tied to the lance, if for example dropzone alpha (for the alpha lance) is getting pounded, have one of your team take command and switch the pilots who would drop into the Sh!tzone to beta/charlie lance. continue this an no one will drop into thier demise. ofc, this requires one person to keep track of who's dying, but one person out for logistic is by far better then having 12-16 mechs stomped for no reason.

#16 crustydog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 March 2015 - 07:09 AM

View Postsycocys, on 11 March 2015 - 02:52 AM, said:

Just based on the one match I dropped with you last night, I noticed that you weren't (at least in that match) very aggressive in pushing and controlling the enemy location and fire lanes.

Well, I can assure you that a lack of aggression is not one of the things I am known for:)

As it turns out, I have a chronicle of the events which caused me to write this post: An extremely violent few minutes in which I was indeed very aggressive.

You all can see the evidence here for yourselves:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

You can see I am dropping right into the middle of a crossfire, getting hammered front and back from all sides, these pics are recorded by my computer as I pop a UAV.

Considering the time waiting for each drop - you can also clearly see survival is being measured in a handful of seconds.

This has nothing to do with any particular ability, or inability, of my fellow pugs to throw back the attackers. This has nothing to do with the superior coordination of a 12 man unit. This has nothing to do with my own personal merit as a player, or lack thereof.

This is simply a very flawed aspect of the CW design that needs to be fixed, and fixed just as quickly as possible. How can we show the abilities of players and teams when both sides are affected by this outrageously flawed game mechanic? (No - let's blame the players for their failure to learn - it's the victim's own fault for daring to play hardcore mode in the first place... )

Never mind the repeated C-Bill financial losses incurred by this madness.

Is it any wonder so many of the players are upset by this?

#17 nehebkau

• 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 11 March 2015 - 07:40 AM

TRAINING INFORMATION FOR NEW PILOTS AND NEW COMMANDERS

You can change your drop zone by moving yourself to a different lance in the COMMAND window in-game.

FOR EXAMPLE
If you are in sulphurous Rift and C2 is camped, your company commander can move people from alpha lance to beta or charlie lance and they will drop in the beta or charlie drop zone, not the C2 alpha drop zone. If you have an alert commander you can greatly reduce the affect of Sulphurous and Boreal camping.

That is all.

Edited by nehebkau, 11 March 2015 - 07:41 AM.

#18 mekabuser

• Philanthropist
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 09:19 AM

View PostTarogato, on 10 March 2015 - 07:55 PM, said:

Duplicate Thread #5,122

Have you tried turning it off and back on again?

Or perhaps... pushing back? Like was suggested that past 5,121 times?

C2 on Sulphurous, for example, is probably the worst dropship camping zone in the game. Even with that spot, all you have to do is prevent the attackers from actually getting there in the first place. Hold them back in C3, don't let them pass.

Impossibru? Ah, but that's what teamwork is for.

PGI has basically acknowledged that spawn camping is an issue that will be looked at over time, but until then, there are ways to combat it. I suggest you employ them.

Id love to see a video of anyteam pushing back from a well established spawn camp..
also thats clan bad form.. thats their specialty, spawn camping and taunting pugs.. Dey classy.

Edited by mekabuser, 11 March 2015 - 09:20 AM.

#19 Funkmaster Rick

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • 184 posts
  • Locationis just an illusion.

Posted 11 March 2015 - 09:27 AM

The groups who spawncamp dropping pilots when they could very easily and very quickly end the game by taking the objective are honourless scum. Remember their names and their units. Prioritize them as targets, and make sure to let your allies know who the dogs are on the enemy team.
It's not an ideal solution, but the only currently-available response to people who suck the fun out of the community is for the rest of the community to hold the fun back from them in turn.

#20 Tasker

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 09:32 AM

View Postcrustydog, on 11 March 2015 - 07:09 AM, said:

This has nothing to do with any particular ability, or inability, of my fellow pugs to throw back the attackers. This has nothing to do with the superior coordination of a 12 man unit. This has nothing to do with my own personal merit as a player, or lack thereof.

You joking, right? Look at scores of team.

13 damage (!)
497 damage
483 damage
502 damage
283 damage

In 20 minutes! 20 minutes and not even able to beat 502 damage between 5 players.

How you expect to win game with players who unable to shoot other robot?

Does not change the fact that Sulfurous is bad map for many reasons, too easy for attacker, but fact is that no one ever get camped on Sulfurous unless badly outmatched by opponent. Looking at team, is clear you badly outmatched. Worthless PUG players unable to put feet facing right direction or equip useful weapons (hint: not LRMs) vs team that know ass from hole in ground?

No contest.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users