Unit Hunting

22 replies to this topic

#1 G-LOC

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 68 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 17 March 2015 - 06:58 AM

So I guess it’s time I joined a unit as I keep getting knocked around in CW as a pug by more coordinated teams.

I like the Falcon’s sense of honour and the Jade Phoenix trilogy was awesome but the crusader stuff and the bloody-mindedness gets a bit much. The bears are broody and powerful and actually have a bloodname which is my actual surname but they are hard to love and a bit sterile and of course no one likes the Jags, no one, this is more down to poor writing of course by the BT authors by making sure the most hated clan gets eradicated.

So it was a tough choice but Clan wolf does feel more like a good fit than the rest of the clans. The pragmatism, the warden mind-set and the cunning plus the characters in Wolf from the lore seem more human than the rest of the clans.

Here’s my past BT/MW experience:

MW2/GBL/Mercs - Offline play.

Mechcommander - Offline play

MW3 – Clan Thunder Wolf – Clan Terra Fox

Mechcommander2 - Offline play

MW4/BK/Mercenaries – Clan Terra Fox

MWO – Since closed Beta, no affiliations

Up on the Lore read about 15 books over the years, plus the old cartoon got me into the franchise.

My style in MWO:

I mostly play missile support, I know it’s frowned upon but I backup with a quartet or sextet of small pulse lasers always and wouldn’t dream of not equipping TAG and painting anything that falls into my sights. I’m starting to like LB10xs, small and large pulse lasers however and the odd streak boat. I prefer mediums and heavies and own 3 mastered Stormcrows and 3 mastered Timberwolves, not sure what my next chassis will be yet. I shy away from UAVs, artillery and airstrikes and tend to sit in the middle of formations.

My MWO stats, not great but I'm more LRM support so I rack up tonnes of assists hence Bridesmaid as my user tag:
Experience Points 948,000 Wins / Losses 552 / 512 Kill / Death Ratio 1.21

I’m UK based, can play infrequent evenings and weekends at moderate notice (1-2 days), I’m in my early 30’s and have no desire to join a team full of racist 12 year olds.

I am hoping it will not be too hard to find a suitable cluster/galaxy to join quiaff?

G-LOC

Edited by CTF GLOC, 17 March 2015 - 07:09 AM.

#2 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 17 March 2015 - 08:14 AM

Aff.

You are welcome to try Clan Wolf International (CWI), comprised of Alpha, Omega, Kappa and Theta Galaxies.

We are a lore-based heavily organized unit, with over 30 planets tagged in CW, and we daily host members of other friendly unit (Gamma Galaxy for example, the German Wolves, and mercs fighting for our Clan). Besides CW, we do fun events like Stock Only battles with BT armor values (a lot of fun!), races (Raven rumbling on the 21st!) and occasionally crazy stuff like rap nights (well, it actually happened only once :ph34r: ).

If you are interested visit www.clan-wolf.info for all the info and our TS address (note: hang in the landing pad until an officer greets you and grants you Sibko tags).

See you in the battlefield!

MW CyclonerM

#3 Gyrok

• Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 17 March 2015 - 11:10 AM

You are welcome to also check out www.cwdg.us.

Clan Wolf Delta Galaxy. We are very lore oriented, and also quite competitive.

#4 NUJRSYDEVIL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 331 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 11:13 AM

Clan Terra Fox...think I just had a flashback.

MSN Zone was awesome for coordinating online team play.

#5 Star Wolves Admin Account

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 06:04 PM

Our unit is the Star Wolves. I believe we're currently the largest wolf faction in the game with a mix of casual players and competitive players. We leave it up to the player to decide where they would like to fit in with the understanding if you want to link up with the competitive teams you need to work as a team win or lose.

Unlike the other wolf unit we don't have any tryouts for membership with no applications. Just don't be a douche and push someone in the unit a friend request and you're in.

We utilize "lore" in our command structure but we are definitely not a role playing unit.

If you're a working joe that wants to have lots of fun while improving we might be the unit for you. We're really laid back and you'll like part of the team real quickly. We have plenty of UK players but be warned they tend to be a bit rowdy and/or raunchy on TS. xD

#6 Vxheous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 17 March 2015 - 07:01 PM

View PostBlueduck, on 17 March 2015 - 06:04 PM, said:

We utilize "lore" in our command structure but we are definitely not a role playing unit.

Well, that's not entirely true Blue, I would say we "lightly" roleplay in the Star Wolves, otherwise we would not have a Trial of Bloodright for Bloodnames :) I would say we (Star Wolves) offer a little of everything, if people just want to play stompy robots, they can, and if they are into the Lore RP elements, they can as well (Galaxy Structure, named Clusters, Clan Ranks, Trial of Bloodright under Zellbrigen rules, etc).

Edited by Vxheous Kerensky, 17 March 2015 - 07:04 PM.

#7 Star Wolves Admin Account

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 07:18 PM

Very fair VX.

I would say people have the option to for titles and such in our unit relative to the lore; we don't carry that into the matches though where tactics/strategy/talented leadership carry the fights as opposed to any sort of blood naming system.

#8 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 17 March 2015 - 07:25 PM

At the same time, I am pretty sure that 100% of our active Star Colonels are Bloodnamed, 80%+ of our Star Captains that lead the drops are Bloodnamed, and those that are not just have not bothered to do so (or is not interested in lore).

#9 G-LOC

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 68 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 18 March 2015 - 01:07 AM

View PostNUJRSYDEVIL, on 17 March 2015 - 11:13 AM, said:

Clan Terra Fox...think I just had a flashback.

MSN Zone was awesome for coordinating online team play.

Yeah they were good times! I think I was a bit more competitive back then, younger too! Which unit were you in?

Thanks for the info guys, I'll check out the sites and try and find a fit. I'm not thrilled about starting as a Sibko though, does feel patronising regardless of how real or fake the whole thing is, what's wrong with Mechwarrior, point 5?

#10 Vincent V. Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel IV
  • Star Colonel IV
  • 299 posts
  • LocationWarrior, Command Star, Alpha Galaxy, Clan Wolf.

Posted 18 March 2015 - 01:18 AM

View PostCTF GLOC, on 18 March 2015 - 01:07 AM, said:

Yeah they were good times! I think I was a bit more competitive back then, younger too! Which unit were you in?

Thanks for the info guys, I'll check out the sites and try and find a fit. I'm not thrilled about starting as a Sibko though, does feel patronising regardless of how real or fake the whole thing is, what's wrong with Mechwarrior, point 5?

Clan Wolf International is one of the units who recruit people through Sibko ranks and it is not at all ment to patronise, belittle or push you down. For us, it is a recognised rank of an individual who is not yet a member of the unit. During your Sibko period we get a chance to get to know you, assess you and figure out if you are a good fit for us. At the same time, you get to see if you really want to be a part of us.

We see the Sibko period as a tool which helps you and us. Whenever I meet a Sibko, I title them as such. Not in a negative manner but recognising that they indeed are Sibko. It is a badge of pride.

#11 Harper Steel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 200 posts
  • Locationwashington state

Posted 18 March 2015 - 10:35 AM

I just gained my warrior status within CWI ( last night) and I can say without a doubt that my time as a Sibkin and Cadet was very cool with ALL the warriors offering help support and mech builds,, I was NEVER treated as an inferior pilot or as an underling but always treated as an equal and with respect and honor and during CW matches I was asked as much as full warriors to fill out 12 man drops.. CWI seems to operate as a family of friends from around the world..

If only the nations of our planet could work together as the different nationalities of CWI do we would have a truly wonderful world to live in.

And I do not say that as propaganda but with true wonder that such a strong well organized units as CWI can work so well and be so much fun.

#12 Commander A9

• Mercenary Rank 8
  • 2,375 posts
  • LocationGDI East Coast Command, Fort Dix, NJ

Posted 18 March 2015 - 11:15 AM

CWI has been very fun and very rewarding for me. Lots of knowledgible fun people to drop with. Even if you're not part of the unit, come check us out on our Teamspeak and drop alongside us!

We have batchalls of cookies!

#13 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 18 March 2015 - 11:32 AM

View PostCommander A9, on 18 March 2015 - 11:15 AM, said:

We have batchalls of cookies!

All your cookies are belong to me! :angry:

:P

#14 Gyrok

• Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 18 March 2015 - 02:12 PM

View PostCTF GLOC, on 18 March 2015 - 01:07 AM, said:

In CWDG, you would earn MW point 5 in a Star.

Sibkin/bondsmen for us is just an intro phase, essentially sibkin lets both sides determine if the fit is good. Bondsmen is a training period where your bondholder will train directly with you to hone combat skills geared toward defeating other mechs of similar size/speed in close combat. Then once you have completed your bondsmen training and pass a Trial of Position, you will become a Warrior in the clan. All of this information can be found on our Join page, and the Trial of Position info page.

#15 G-LOC

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 68 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 19 March 2015 - 12:23 AM

I think I've bitten off more than I can chew in regards to keeping it true to lore :)

I'm sure CWI is an awesome unit and I hope to meet you guys in battle one day but there is something about being a Sibko that doesn't fly for me.

The term means I am a child, Sibkin are children of the same geneparent, and as a sibkin needing to be mentored in such things as basic as mech builds and defeating a mech of the same size isn't really for me, I am by no means elite and welcome advise like a player of any skill level but I have played thousands of matches and know my way around a mech.

With that in mind I doubt I'd be a good fit, I wish you all the best however and you seem like a nice bunch!

#16 Yozzman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 273 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 02:28 AM

In CWDG we got a nice EU group going on. No kids etc... Pug or CW groups are usually running every evening :)

But I have to say, I dont like LURMS :P

Edited by Yozzman, 19 March 2015 - 02:29 AM.

#17 Poptimus Rhyme Wallace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 329 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 19 March 2015 - 04:49 AM

The Sibko period at CWI is about establishing mutual respect and understanding.
It helps anyone joining us with figuring out if they can get what they want from our unit, and it lets us screen for troublesome rambo-types, know-it alls, trolls, mech gods, forum-warriors and other drama creators.

It is essentially the ID-Tag we give our "Applicants", but since one cannot apply to a Clan, and we are lore based, this is really the best way to go about it.
if you are sensitive about how you are tagged on a TS server, CWI is not for you.

As we say in administration; Even the poorest looking document, is worth more than the finest Memory / impressive word of mouth / Most convincing argument.

#18 Gyrok

• Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 05:35 AM

View PostCTF GLOC, on 19 March 2015 - 12:23 AM, said:

I think I've bitten off more than I can chew in regards to keeping it true to lore :)

I'm sure CWI is an awesome unit and I hope to meet you guys in battle one day but there is something about being a Sibko that doesn't fly for me.

The term means I am a child, Sibkin are children of the same geneparent, and as a sibkin needing to be mentored in such things as basic as mech builds and defeating a mech of the same size isn't really for me, I am by no means elite and welcome advise like a player of any skill level but I have played thousands of matches and know my way around a mech.

With that in mind I doubt I'd be a good fit, I wish you all the best however and you seem like a nice bunch!

Sibkin go all the way through the cadet phase until the Trial of Position is passed to become a mechwarrior. You are aware that young warriors waiting to trial are still sibko right?

#19 G-LOC

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 68 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 19 March 2015 - 06:05 AM

View PostGyrok, on 19 March 2015 - 05:35 AM, said:

Sibkin go all the way through the cadet phase until the Trial of Position is passed to become a mechwarrior. You are aware that young warriors waiting to trial are still sibko right?

The sarcasm isn't appreciated, I was trying to be nice about it.

#20 G-LOC

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 68 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 19 March 2015 - 06:12 AM

Perhaps I am more just thinking how it worked back in the day in MW4.

A potential recruit would express interest in a unit, they would get a trial of position to see if they were unit material. If they passed they would be accepted and given the rank of Mechwarrior.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users