#81 AlexEss

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,491 posts
  • Locationthe ol north

Posted 12 March 2015 - 06:24 AM

Well to be fair...

It is not unheard of pilots blasting music in stories... Heck even in BT lore it is not unheard of... Like Snord and NWH...

Then again my primary faction is FRR (on loan to Kurita for a little while) so our warhorn was actually really nice.

#82 Logan Hawke

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 504 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 06:30 AM

I love 'em. Why you might ask?

Because each of them fits with the super cheese, terrible, and generally 80s origin of battletech.

For example, the Davion warhorn. It completely captures the mary sue idiocy that is Davion. Or China Liao, which encapsulates that insultingly stereotypical house. Or FRR, sounds like the kind of music a bunch of wannabe space vikings from the 80s would think is totally cool.

In other words, they're throwbacks.

Edited by Logan Hawke, 12 March 2015 - 06:32 AM.

#83 TB Freelancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 783 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 12 March 2015 - 06:37 AM

View PostTB Xiomburg, on 11 March 2015 - 09:08 PM, said:

I like them.

Xom, just don't post when you're sniffing glue :P

View PostMalleus011, on 11 March 2015 - 06:57 PM, said:

Davion: Fox Hunting Horn
Steiner: Bagpipes
Marik: Trumpet (charge!)
Kurita: Guys screaming 'Banzai!'
FRR: Horn (Horn of Gondor type)
Liao: Gong

These would be far, far better than the ringtones. Please replace them. I don't want *the* warhorns for the Great Houses sounding silly.

I don't know about the Marik one, but yeah....the overall concept is kind of what I think most were hoping for.

View PostFenrisulvyn, on 11 March 2015 - 09:00 PM, said:

I said I would buy 12 Road Runner "Meep! Meep!" war horns.

These are not them.....

For faction horns. No...

...but as an MC item you could buy? Hell yeah, that would be hilarious and I'd probably own them for my lights.

#84 Marodeur

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 79 posts
  • LocationBraunschweig, Germany

Posted 12 March 2015 - 07:25 AM

-I would suggest for Davion, the scratching sound of a big sword that is drawn out of the scabbard. It starts slowly and becomes faster and you hear the steel resonating shortly after it is comletely outside. To get an expression of what I mean, it is similar to that sound you can hear in the first seconds of the following video with the music from Manowar, but of course it has to be redesigned that it sounds more epic:

-For Kurita a Dragons cry (may be with additional spitting fire sound). Look at 02:13 of the following link, that would be cool.

-For FRR I would love to have something like the warcry of the Spartans from the film "300".

Edited by Marodeur, 12 March 2015 - 07:32 AM.

#85 Mott

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 887 posts
  • Location[MW] Ransom's Corsairs

Posted 12 March 2015 - 07:38 AM

Ick... those are not good.

I'm really enjoying Isobaric, Kickers, Pressure Chamber, RecRoom, Envious Eardrum, Sonic Boom and IS Comstar.

Pretty much any of the ones that are short, sweet and not high-pitched (Pressure chamber is the only exception). Don't feel the need to torment my allies with all those higher pitched ones.

When first announced i thought i'd hate warhorns entirely... but they actually do add a little sumptin sumptin to the game.

#86 Harrison Kelly

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 182 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 07:47 AM

I was really kind of looking forward to hearing the faction warhorns, but now I'm not.

Definitely not going to buy any of these, nope, no way.

#87 Jaeger Gonzo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:21 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 11 March 2015 - 09:45 PM, said:

I have seen those "player suggestions". Most of them are just as ridiculous, if not more so than that of PGI's idea. The one that is most coveted, the War of the World's warhorn, is already in game. I have more issue with how they look inside the cockpit.

Yardsale and Isobaric WHs sound great but look like UTTER ****. They should all be shaped like faction WHs.

Where we can see them? Here you got I think spot on post about it. War of the World's warhorn is just idea about what we expected them to be, is not that we want exactly same sound.

View PostMalleus011, on 11 March 2015 - 06:57 PM, said:

Davion: Fox Hunting Horn
Steiner: Bagpipes
Marik: Trumpet (charge!)
Kurita: Guys screaming 'Banzai!'
FRR: Horn (Horn of Gondor type)
Liao: Gong

These would be far, far better than the ringtones. Please replace them. I don't want *the* warhorns for the Great Houses sounding silly.

I would just change in that list 'Banzai!' for japan big drums theme

#88 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 12 March 2015 - 10:14 AM

View PostMott, on 12 March 2015 - 07:38 AM, said:

When first announced i thought i'd hate warhorns entirely... but they actually do add a little sumptin sumptin to the game.

Ditto. I like the Clan ones as well as pretty much your list.

But the IS ones are new-clan-logo-toss-em-back-and-try-again awful.

Edited by Terciel1976, 12 March 2015 - 10:17 AM.

#89 RedDragon

• 1,942 posts
  • LocationKurpfalz, Germany

Posted 13 March 2015 - 03:05 PM

They are bad. Plain and simple. They could at least rename them to "War Jingles".

#90 RoboPatton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 794 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 03:12 PM

I don't HATE them as much as some, but none of them are as good as the clan ones imo.

#91 CocoaJin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,607 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 13 March 2015 - 03:15 PM

The Kurita one starts off fine, then turns into a game show "time to answer the question" instrumental...sounds like "who warns to be a millionaire" sound bite.

Sorry, won't be getting that.

#92 EX S

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 107 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 03:26 PM

Yeah, these aren't really warhorns. As many have said, they're more warjingles than anything else. That being said, It would be cool if these replaced the default victory music if you were allied with ______ faction

#93 Skarlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 328 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 03:31 PM

View PostTarogato, on 11 March 2015 - 04:21 PM, said:

In my opinion, they're awful. The whole lot of them.

And no... no music. They're supposed to be "war" "horns". They should sound like horns, and they should be fitting for war. Leeway can be given for the fact that this is the 31st century we're talking about here, but still...

These are just too long, too complicated, too musical, too synth. Der Walküren isn't any better.

I completely disagree. 20 different variations of the sound of someone blowing into a conch shell is a terrible idea for warhorns. They already have at least 3 or 4 of those. The new warhorns are interesting. I'll definately use at least some of them.

#94 Icthelion

• PipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 52 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 13 March 2015 - 03:35 PM

Warhorns are great (some I am not a fan of, but as long as they are horn-ish, Im ok with it). The monkey screech is ok too... I think that is the most appropriate warhorn for a light mech. I like to use it on my Panther because it looks like a freakin monkey. When I think of a Mech warhorn, I think along these lines:

#95 EgoSlayer

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,909 posts
  • Location[REDACTED]

Posted 13 March 2015 - 03:54 PM

I think the horns should be ominous, foreboding, or insulting, not war jingles.
Like this should be the war horn for the urbanmech:

#96 Malleus011

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 05:24 PM

View PostJaeger Gonzo, on 12 March 2015 - 09:21 AM, said:

Where we can see them? Here you got I think spot on post about it. War of the World's warhorn is just idea about what we expected them to be, is not that we want exactly same sound.

I would just change in that list 'Banzai!' for japan big drums theme

Daiko drums would be awesome for Kurita if they can keep it short and sharp.

18 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 18 guests, 0 anonymous users