Let's Talk About Ping. At What Point Do You Start Actually Noticing A Difference To Your Gameplay?

475 replies to this topic

#41 dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 271 posts
  • LocationLaborer caste mess hall

Posted 12 March 2015 - 11:43 PM

My normal ping is 100. If it reaches 150 or above I stop playing.

#42 Bawbagzz

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 46 posts
  • LocationThe 45%

Posted 12 March 2015 - 11:49 PM

110-140 range.The micro stuttering is the main issue I have and I get it on both ends of the scale.Makes the game near impossible when I'm warping about.

#43 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 11:55 PM

View PostAresye, on 12 March 2015 - 03:34 PM, said:

The first thing I notice is a lag when activating my zoom, which usually becomes noticeable starting at 160ms, although often whenever I experience the zoom lag and check my ping, it's hovering around 180-185 nearly every time. Hit reg is also delayed by the same amount of time as the zoom responsiveness.

My usual ping is between 100-110.

^^Goes for me. I'm 100-110 usually. 160 seems to be the magic number where it gets noticeably wonked.

#44 GreyNovember

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 11:57 PM

I like how it tops out at 400+.

If I'm lucky, I hover around 250 ping. Usually it's 350, to which I've adpated to by leading every SRM volley and laser alpha by a fair margin.

I start noticing that it's time for LRMs when ping goes to 500+.

#45 WazOfOz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 177 posts
  • Locationnot the arse hole of the world, but I can see it from here

Posted 13 March 2015 - 12:02 AM

I have a 350 odd ping. I guess it's when the enemy are seeing me well before I can see them (if its possible) otherwise its when my ping fluctuates during a match that it becomes unplayable.

#46 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 March 2015 - 12:02 AM

I normally play between 30 and 50 ping, but when my roomates start using the Wi-Fi it can jump up into the thousands (obvsly I have to stop at that point). I usually don't notice it until it hits around 300ms.

I've never noticed any stuttering of any kind like others are mentioning in the 100-400 range.

Edited by Tarogato, 13 March 2015 - 12:04 AM.

#47 MonkeyCheese

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 13 March 2015 - 12:03 AM

Being an Australian from Brisbane my ping usually sits at 250-280ms which has for the past 3 or so years been perfectly manageable and I drive things like locusts...

It gets a little noticeable over 280ms but it really is the 300-350ms range is where it becomes usually 100% unplayable for me and shots really start to miss and the rubberbanding starts.

But overall bravo for having a NA based game that is still playable for most people around the world.

#48 kesmai

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,429 posts
  • LocationPirate's Bay

Posted 13 March 2015 - 12:12 AM

usually my ping hovers between 110 and 120. It's all fine if it does so. During the last week i had a heavily fluctuating ping between 110 and 250. I also recognized that others have the same problem too.this fluctuation is erratic and absolutely random, it occurs from 1900 and 2200 utc.
the biggest problem is when mine and the targets pings are jumping around hits and aimed shooting become random. Almost like in tabletop

Edited by kesmai, 13 March 2015 - 12:18 AM.

#49 Arkbird_

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 121 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 12:22 AM

Mostly at about 80-100 ms and generally see little/no issues. Sometimes goes up to 150 ms when my internet is under heavy load. Slight lag trying to hit small mechs going 140 kph+ with any type of laser.

#50 thatrobotguy

• PipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 48 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 12:32 AM

ping is on average 70-80 ms for me, at about 200 ms i notice a slight delay in zooming in and out (but hitreg still seems to be good enough) and at 300+ ms it gets hard to hit much of anything at that point.

#51 Kyynele

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 973 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 12:32 AM

I have a steady ping of 149-151, and rarely have problems with hit reg. Occasionally ping differences lead to unfair feeling deaths, getting killed after already torso twisted or entered cover, but I assume I get some freebie hits now and then, too, so I don't mind that much.

Rarely my ping starts to fluctuate, usually at 180-230 range, and the game just turns unplayable. I'm not even fully sure this is really a ping issue, because at this point, changing zoom levels and for example getting locks happen with a greatly increased delay that feels like a whole second (normally instant.)

One thing I want to mention, I'm not sure if this is ping related, but saving in the mechlab is frustratingly slow. Like, just changing modules to a mech (0 MC or C-bills used) and clicking save, the wait can easily take something like 30 seconds. Every. Time. How can this be possible in 2015? And this affects all the people I play with. The most typical discussion in our TS between matches is something like:

Person1: Ready up! Ready up!
Person2: Saving saving saving saving saving saving saaaaving... almost done saving..... ok I'm ready, let's go!
Person3: I'm still saving.

#52 Igchy

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 94 posts
  • LocationBKK , Thailand (Not Taiwan)

Posted 13 March 2015 - 12:45 AM

Been play for 2 years.For the first year my ping was stable at 300 everything smooth in term of framerate but i to have lead my target with every weapons even with laser (HSR never favor me).But i kinda hit the target with some reliability.

And then PGI move to new server my ping jump up and down between 320 - 500, i feel that i miss the target a lot more because the crosshair wont turn red(espacialy with lasers) and i can see the framerate jittering sometimes but very rare .And that is what i have until now.

Edited by Igchy, 13 March 2015 - 12:54 AM.

#53 William Mountbank

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 671 posts
  • LocationBayern

Posted 13 March 2015 - 12:46 AM

My ping from Germany is normally 115-135ms, and it's completely tolerable, but never having had a lower ping I can't say whether 120ms is effecting my accuracy to any degree. Over 200 and I can tell something is wrong, and anything over 300ms and the game starts to get dreamlike, with mechs popping in and out of existence at random.

#54 NextGame

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,071 posts
  • LocationHaggis Country

Posted 13 March 2015 - 12:50 AM

View PostJon Cunningham, on 12 March 2015 - 03:22 PM, said:

Especially for people who have experienced the game at different pings, at what point do you start noticing ping is having an affect on your gameplay?

1-50 ms
50-90 ms
90-140 ms
140-180ms
180-220ms
220-260ms
260-300ms
300-350ms
350-400ms
400+ ms

I have a lot of data from internal tests but I am looking for your experiences. Of course remember that jitter and packet loss fps and many other factors also impact gameplay; I'm just looking for what your subjective experiences are at each range of those pings.

So, preface: There are many many people with a lot higher ping than I, and I'm going to be straight up here and say that if theres a way to address those particular places it should be done first. I'm also going to add that I haven't read the rest of this thread so may be covering old ground. With that on record, im going to proceed to whinge about my own internet connection and its behaviour in relation to mwo:

Ideally we would all want under 100, right? This is a personal bugbear of mine given that my UK ISP pings typically 140, and another ISP in the same country pings 90 ?!?!?!? because: reasons??!

Part of the problem though is ping not being stable enough, mine can jump anywhere between 120-200, a deviation of 80ms at any point has an impact on how effectively you can perform.

I'm not sure what the solutions are other than whine about routing to you guys and my ISP, or whine about there being no European servers to you guys, or simply don't play comp and don't put too much effort into playing the game because of the perceived disadvantage.

Edited by NextGame, 13 March 2015 - 12:55 AM.

#55 EvilCow

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 01:40 AM

My normal ping is 150, when it happens that I have a ping above 170 usually I prefer to stop playing, it becomes too unreliable.

I must say that even with my optimal ping, 150, damage detection is bad, especially for lasers.

I would like to see a more client-side approach for certain things, of course the server would still be in charge of validating damage.

Edited by EvilCow, 13 March 2015 - 01:42 AM.

#56 The Massive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 331 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 13 March 2015 - 02:08 AM

Totally playable at 300ms. Totally unplayable (warps, hits not registering, moonwalking mechs etc) at 350ms.

My ping used to sit at 250ms (Australia) with the game being unplayable at 300ms. About a month ago my ping started to sit at 300ms with no difference to gameplay.

Edited by Maccasimus, 13 March 2015 - 02:11 AM.

#57 FatYak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 585 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 02:32 AM

Im glad this thread has come up, the jitter is back tonight and laser hitreg is non existent, I've had to go back to ballistic or SRM boating

#58 StraferX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 640 posts
  • LocationWest Virginia

Posted 13 March 2015 - 04:24 AM

65 is my average ping depends on time of day, 10 pm EST ping goes up. I generally have little issue until I hit the 110> mark then I go play another game if it does not come back down. After 110 HSR gets odd at 150 teleporting begins also rubberbanding.

#59 Father Tork

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 155 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 04:38 AM

I live in Montreal and work downtown.

When playing at home, my ping is 15-20
When at work, it sits around 2

Fast lights (commandos) tend to perform better at the office. It could be an illusion, but my response time compared to others in the match seems noticeably quicker. i.e. I find it easier to stay behind opponents.

#60 Risen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 192 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 March 2015 - 04:38 AM

between 100 and 120 for me with no real jumps in ping, though my hitreg is off anyway

the big problems occur when I face opponents with either much higher or much lower ping, they tend to "jump around" on screen or I get shot before my game shows them walking over the hill or around the corner

I blame HSR and curse the day it was implemented

could you start the test server without it just for a weekend to have us test it? PLEASE?!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users