Let's Talk About Ping. At What Point Do You Start Actually Noticing A Difference To Your Gameplay?

475 replies to this topic

#21 ZenFool

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 414 posts
  • LocationOrion's Bible Belt

Posted 12 March 2015 - 06:29 PM

I can give you two different perspectives. A little over six months ago I upgraded my internet. My ping had been 120-140 and is now between 50-80.

At 120 I had only a handful of games where I would notice anything out of the ordinary.

At 50 I often notice odd hit registration on mechs with much higher pings. If there is over a 100ms difference then I can expect issues pretty much every time.

I have actually had my other family members download and stream things to even it out for me.

#22 xengk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 12 March 2015 - 06:39 PM

Connecting from South East Asia at 280~300 ping.
Hit detection is good most of the time, but will have several borked match each night, where only my laser are doing damage.

#23 FatYak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 585 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 06:42 PM

My ping used to be 270 after the server migration its 320.

There's 3 things i have really noticed with my ping and playing the game

If i am shooting at a person with a ping of around the 40-60 mark, hitreg is aweful, paperdolls are really slow to update and reticles does njot always flash when you score a hit

If i am shooting at someone with a ping greater than 100 hitreg is ok to good

If i am getting ANY jitter at all, DOT weapons to not register even though it shows the damage glow on my screen and PPFLD round pass through mechs, paperdolls do not update and, as i found out yesterday, the seismic sensor doesn't work properly.

Ive tried to nail down the jitter thing with My ISP, and they cant find a problem. the new MWO servers are the only time i have the issue

This is at 60fps and no packet loss

EDIT

In fact, im playing with the sub 60 pingers now and my seismic sensor isnt working again

EDIT 2

The other thin is, that the PING difference makees spreading damage difficult and sometimnes impossible as even though you have rolled your torso they fired a quarter of a second before and despite the fact your no longer facing them you die anway. its incredibly frastrating and wholly unfair at times

high pingers are badly let down by this game

Edited by Verapamil, 12 March 2015 - 07:34 PM.

#24 Clit Beastwood

• 2,262 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 12 March 2015 - 06:46 PM

View PostJon Cunningham, on 12 March 2015 - 03:22 PM, said:

Especially for people who have experienced the game at different pings, at what point do you start noticing ping is having an affect on your gameplay?

1-50 ms
50-90 ms
90-140 ms
140-180ms
180-220ms
220-260ms
260-300ms
300-350ms
350-400ms
400+ ms

I have a lot of data from internal tests but I am looking for your experiences. Of course remember that jitter and packet loss fps and many other factors also impact gameplay; I'm just looking for what your subjective experiences are at each range of those pings.

I feel a distinct difference between 80-120, but usually when it starts bouncing. If it's consistent, 200ms isn't awful but it sure makes driving a light tough. For me (from the other thread) the ping bounce is usually an early warning of packet loss.

#25 Something Wrong

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 143 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 06:53 PM

My ping is always 260-300 (usually in the 270s) because I connect from Australia with a stable connection.

Upfront TL;DR: I can never trust what I actually see in front of me and spectating other players makes everyone look like they have terrible aim but still get hits.

Subjective full opinion:

This latency produces an effect similar to old school online mechs games in the days of dialup 56k and the first generation of cable connections. I usually have to aim 0.5 times the width/length ahead of a moving assault and up to 2 times the width/length ahead of a fast light to hit the part I want (depending on movement speed of course). Changes in speed and direction of a target requires quick mental calculations to adjust the length of lead required. If my connection was unstable and my ping fluctuating, I would have written this game off as impossible to play. Since this latency is stable, it's merely extremely aggravating and a little unfair.

Trying to use a laser vomit mech on a moving light without spraying and praying at those levels of latency is almost impossible, even at close range. Combine that with pre existing light hit reg problems and unless they're standing still for me, I prefer to just run away and leave them for my American team mates with better pings.

And yes, there have been quite a few times where in close duels I KNOW I should have survived and killed my opponent but the latency pulled a Kanye West on me. "I'MA LET YOU FINISH YO KILL BUT HE HAS A BETTER CONNECTION THAN YOU!" which leads me to die rather unfairly.

Edited by Sum Ting Wong, 12 March 2015 - 07:04 PM.

#26 Mirumoto Izanami

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 06:53 PM

I'm usually in the 50-90 range, and it all seems normal, though occasionally ill be in the 1-50 range (30ish), and I see odd things happen in game when that occurs.

Or I could just be getting too old to play.

Edited by Mirumoto Izanami, 12 March 2015 - 06:54 PM.

#27 Prc

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 189 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires - Argentina

Posted 12 March 2015 - 07:02 PM

In MWO i would say about 130/140 ish is enough delay to notice, specially when zooming in or trying to shoot moving lights with ACs or PPCs.

My old connection was 220ms average up to 250ms because i had a really bad connection that was pretty terrible, now i changed my connection and i have around 170ish vast improvement.

#28 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,780 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 07:10 PM

in the good ol days of ye olde 56k connections, i routinely played games with a second or more of ping and still managed to get points.

so i have a hard time complaining about getting 110ms of ping from an alaskan island with a population <3k. though anything over a quarter a second is still pretty bad.

Edited by LordNothing, 12 March 2015 - 07:11 PM.

#29 N0MAD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 07:12 PM

Well at 300+ping i dont really see any rubberbanding UNLESS i collide with another mech or they try walk thru me, game is smooth, i have a good system, only side effect i see is i generally spawn in after most, but game is relatively smooth, its just hit detection, i know when i hit, im very practised at lag shooting and besides there are many times the target isnt moving, bad hit detection is well just bad.

#30 FatYak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 585 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 07:46 PM

View PostJon Cunningham, on 12 March 2015 - 03:22 PM, said:

Especially for people who have experienced the game at different pings, at what point do you start noticing ping is having an affect on your gameplay?

1-50 ms
50-90 ms
90-140 ms
140-180ms
180-220ms
220-260ms
260-300ms
300-350ms
350-400ms
400+ ms

I have a lot of data from internal tests but I am looking for your experiences. Of course remember that jitter and packet loss fps and many other factors also impact gameplay; I'm just looking for what your subjective experiences are at each range of those pings.

Really though, i thought there would be more than enough discussion on these forums to already garner some info, but thanks for asking

#31 Impossible Wasabi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • 462 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 08:29 PM

115 to 120 is where things get bad, at least in the Space Pope's opinion having had a Euro ping and now a US ping.

A ping less than 80 is probably (and obviously) the ideal ping.

Edited by The True Space Pope, 12 March 2015 - 08:30 PM.

#32 Lulz Kev

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:33 PM

I usually run between 50-80ms. The past few weeks I've had to use a VPN to play and my ping as been a little higher.

I've noticed its not so much my ping that degrades gameplay but a mixture of several other factors.

1) My ping in relationship to my targets ping. If it's anymore then 50ms~ difference hit reg is not so great.

2) Server loads. I noticed a significant difference between peak hours and evening hours. During peak hours its a gamble. During off peak its a lot more stable. I usually have zero issues unless I'm trying to shoot someone with over 250-300ms

3) if my ping goes above 250-300, warping starts no bueno but obliviously to be expected at that range

Ie:

Peak hours:
My ping: 100
Target ping: 100
Server population high
The usual gamble, playable though

Peak hours:
Target ping: 200
Server population high
Very bad, I've seen ac20 shots pass right through stationary targets

Peak hours:
Target ping: 250+
Server population high
Tuck tail and run, I don't even bother trying. Not playable

Off hours:
Target ping: 100
Server population low
No issues, very playable

Off hours:
Target ping: 200
Server population low
Not ideal, but very playable

Off hours:
Target ping: 250+
Server population low
You can tell its not 100%, but still playable

Edited by DTF Kev, 12 March 2015 - 09:43 PM.

#33 Telmasa

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:47 PM

Personally I'm usually stuck anywhere from 100 to 180 ping (though whatever I am at is, conversely, usually pretty stable);

But for me, the 'lagshield' benchmark (or as you put it, the point when lag starts affecting the game) is usually between 50-80 ping - 'cause I often have moments feeling like I'm playing with a handicap, especially against those players gifted with absurdly low ping. Visually those players appear to barely pop out of cover, hit me with a bunch of lasers, and hide again before my PPC/autocannon is even halfway there - it takes a really, REALLY fast trigger finger to be able to deal with that.

Edited by Telmasa, 12 March 2015 - 09:48 PM.

#34 FatYak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 585 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:52 PM

View PostTelmasa, on 12 March 2015 - 09:47 PM, said:

Personally I'm usually stuck anywhere from 100 to 180 ping (though whatever I am at is, conversely, usually pretty stable);

But for me, the 'lagshield' benchmark (or as you put it, the point when lag starts affecting the game) is usually between 50-80 ping - 'cause I often have moments feeling like I'm playing with a handicap, especially against those players gifted with absurdly low ping. Visually those players appear to barely pop out of cover, hit me with a bunch of lasers, and hide again before my PPC/autocannon is even halfway there - it takes a really, REALLY fast trigger finger to be able to deal with that.

Conversely, you appear on their screen and get face bashed before you even see them, get 1 shot away, and then take a second hit before your back behind cover

#35 charov

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,110 posts
  • LocationLondon - UK

Posted 12 March 2015 - 10:05 PM

I moved to uk last year. I used to have between 130 and 145 in my country. Now I have between 95 and 105 ms. I definitely saw an improvement with ballistics, especially when firing at light mechs. Still, is the ping delta that dictates if the hitreg works or not. For example, firestarters with less than 30-50ms registers almost no damage. Last time I hit one with a CGR, nothing happened (things pretty common during the closed beta, but improved a lot with the hsr). It's better when the delta il less than 30 ms.

So, I guess that a good ping starts at ~70, where you don't suffer the low pingers so much.

#36 Theodore42

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 156 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 12 March 2015 - 10:20 PM

My ping is either 66-78 or 108-112 for some reason. Sometimes 128-132 or so, but only for a few minutes at a time. 128 I start to notice shots registering less frequently than otherwise. The lower ping ranges don't have perfect registration but I don't notice a difference between them. I do notice at 108 and above that collisions with mechs results in rubber-banding or other teleporting weirdness.

I don't think these ping variations are on my end but can't be sure. However, before the server move my ping was consistent in the 63-70 range.

Edited by Theodore42, 12 March 2015 - 10:27 PM.

#37 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,950 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 March 2015 - 10:29 PM

Have had 70-85 ping in Uppermidwest USA since I started playing a year ago, hitreg has been usually somewhat decent, but lasers have always failed on anything moving quickly.

HSR seems to handle ballistics fairly well no matter what ping is doing, sometimes they'll score on the opposite side that I've hit, or phase through completely.

Recently my ping has gone down to the 39-45 ping, which is outstanding, lasers&hitscan weapons reg much better and in most cases its damn near perfect as long as my aim is good, ballistics are about the same.
Fast targets such as lights are still problematic, but tends to happen more VS players with higher pings.

Hitbox & Avatar desync seems to be an issue, you can lead the target Avatar into empty space to land hits on the hitbox, odd things like that.

The faster a target is moving, the greater the hitbox and avatar separation is, Interpolation is failing for hitscan, and this is where you get the "invincible lights bug" because their hitbox is so far ahead of what the client will see for his Avatar that any damage dealt is a false positive.

And the more seperation, the less damage gets dealt with lasers or anything else, its like the engine is trying to divide any damage between what it sees on the server side, and what the client is reporting from hits on his screen.

Edited by Mister D, 12 March 2015 - 10:54 PM.

#38 HellJumper

• 1,226 posts
  • LocationIslamabad, pakistan

Posted 12 March 2015 - 10:53 PM

Anything over 350+ for me results in PPC (and only PPC) to fire with a slight delay. its like a half a second delay kind of effect which start to notice. due to this for me at least PPC/ERPPC becomes useless. also it take about have second to target an emeny. under 350 its all fine. under 300 (which rarely happens) all is good.

rest lasers, lrms, and ACs work fine.

I am running a 4 mb dedicated DSL internet shared between one desktop (mine) and about 4 mobile phones. MWO is the only game in which i get pings over 300.. rest many of the games i play the (insurgency, WT, wargame. Fractured space on US servers) i get the ping under 250

#39 STEF_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 12 March 2015 - 10:55 PM

I have 2 apartments with 2 different providers.

In one, I have a stable 180 ping and I notice lag above all when playing group and CW. It seems like pugs and group/cw have different servers :)
Anyway when I play with my team with many canadian players, it's amazing the way I get kill stealed, and my dmg is around 40% less than usual. Very very difficult to be a comp player with this ping situation. (eu server in future?)

In the second apartment with 230 ping, mwo is simply unplayable.

#40 FatYak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 585 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 11:25 PM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 12 March 2015 - 10:55 PM, said:

I have 2 apartments with 2 different providers.

In one, I have a stable 180 ping and I notice lag above all when playing group and CW. It seems like pugs and group/cw have different servers :)
Anyway when I play with my team with many canadian players, it's amazing the way I get kill stealed, and my dmg is around 40% less than usual. Very very difficult to be a comp player with this ping situation. (eu server in future?)

In the second apartment with 230 ping, mwo is simply unplayable.

what i wouldnt give for 230 ping =/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users