Hitboxes Or Hit Registration Is Busted, What Gives?

33 replies to this topic

#1 Reitrix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 04:25 AM

So yesterday in my King Crab i noticed that my Right Leg was being destroyed abnormally fast, like as if people were focusing every shot on it (Fully armored) and blowing it away then leaving the rest of the 'Mech barely scratched.

This morning before wqork, i ran my Kit Fox out for a a couple of matches, took a pair of PPCs to the face (As in, i watched the bolts hit me in the gut) and then got a critical damage warning, i look down to see my Rear Right Torso cherry red while my front armor was barely scratched.

Just now in my Timber Wolf on Viridian Bog, came to face to face with a Misery with MLs and AC20, he alphas into my face and i alpha him back, i glance down to find my Center Torso red with my front armor barely dented.
Naturally i immediately twisted to see what was behind me, not even registering that at 180m the Misery should stripped a ton of armor off my CT, only to realize that my back was to a wall on the edge of the map and no 'Mechs anywhere in the vicinity.

In HPG we legged a Spider early, trapped him in a corner and had 4 'Mechs railing on him.
Spider starts JJing straight up and down, no shots would register properly until i opened up with MGs.

I can't tell which is causing it, HitReg or Rear/Leg Hitboxes overlapping in odd places.

My Ping recently went down from 266 to 238 - 241 (Australia).
Has anyone else had similar experiences or am i alone in this?

#2 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 14 March 2015 - 05:46 AM

The wonders of GGPO.

I mean rollback netcode.

I mean host-state rewind.

#3 GreyNovember

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 05:50 AM

Been cored out from the rear side torso when things were in front of me from my perspective.

Doesn't happen very often, but it does, so I take it as it comes.

#4 Baron Blitz Fokheimer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 147 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 06:03 AM

Last two matches for me:
1. Shot an X-5 about 8 times with gauss, each time connected (red marker). Never saw health go down.
2. Shot a Stalker in the back and sides with gauss, probably over ten times, during a pitched melee with both teams being on top of each other inside the cap zone. Nothing.
I have 20 ping.
I will say that it happens only to specific targets. Most of the time, I can hit stuff just fine. This kind of reminds me of lag-switching in Planetside 2.

Edited by Baron Blitz Fokheimer, 14 March 2015 - 06:14 AM.

#5 oldradagast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 06:04 AM

It's terrible at times.

I was trading shots in my Hunchback with a silly Griffin that was hopping in place yesterday. Every time he hopped up in the same spot at about 250 to 300m away, I'd put an AC20 into his chest (and hit him with lasers), and he'd rake me with lasers. From a pure numbers viewpoint, I was winning... until I quickly noticed that about half of my AC20 hit him squarely... and nothing happened. No red crosshair flash... nothing. The shot just slammed into him for no effect. Out of morbid curiously, I stuck around trading shots longer than I should have just to see how bad it got. Eventually, he killed me, and even though he took 5 to 6 direct hits from an AC20 within full damage range AND laser hits as well... I somehow only did under 100 damage that match. Right...

It may not happen that badly too often, but when it does, it is infuriating. Jump-jets are known to mess with hitboxes at times, so I can only assume that had something to do with the shots simply not hurting the Griffin as he hopped in place. Note that my ping is pretty good... no idea what the other guy's ping was.

We also had a badly cored Misery the same day that was down to nothing but a "stick" and 1 leg... and he somehow shrugged off several clouds of SRM's that impacted him squarely in the orange torso. I know Stalkers have funny hitboxes that vastly reduce damage... but still... come on... At least he wasn't able to fight back so he couldn't exploit the vanishing damage to get a free kill.

Edited by oldradagast, 14 March 2015 - 06:06 AM.

#6 Kh0rn

• Shredder
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 06:13 AM

I have had several situations where my SRM barrage simply vanish in a mech like it was magic or something I know I have a large ping near 300 but it was remaining still.

#7 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 14 March 2015 - 06:33 AM

Yesterday i was being face-tanked by a jenner (i'm in a Centurion CN9-A) and he one shot me with MPL (i think it was like 6 MPLs?) alpha strike, THROUGH my back armor while we were both standing still looking at each other face-to-face. At first i thought that i got killed by an enemy Victor that came up behind us (he even said he got the kill) but in the mission end screen we both saw that the jenner was the one that got the kill (and yes, my Front armor was intact)

On multiple occasions i had my AC rounds simply go right through enemy mechs (99% those are Locusts or Firestarters, not sure if it's correlation or causation, though) or even VISUALLY impacting them (you know? Explosions and ****?) just to deal 0 damage. I don't seem to have this problem using lasers though (however the locations that the lasers impact on my screen a lot of times doesn't match the damage on the paperdoll, but that might be a problem with the mechs having broken hitboxes and not the hit registration and again it mostly seems to happen with Firestarters)
It's very frustrating

#8 Reitrix

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 06:35 AM

So basically ... Something is broken, wither with HSR or HitReg in general. Wonderful. Also, I'm going to be bunnyhopping my Nova any time im under fire now, since it makes my CT virtually impossible to hit. Fantastic.

Also, apparently i managed to deal 446 damage to a Mad Dog, (Only target i shot at) only to be ST killed by 2 LLs from fresh and he walked away with orange armor all over.
Pretty sure they barely have 446 armor covering the entire mech.

#9 MrMadguy

• 2,209 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 06:45 AM

Yeah, yesterday I've noticed this too. I was in my DWF-PRIME. My RT had it's armor stripped. But all other armor was yellow. But should I have worried about it? No. Cuz Clan mech can't die due to RT loss. That's why I attacked Orion, I had damaged very seriously just a few moments before. Yeah, he had hidden from me round the corner. I had to kill him via my next alpha, but before I even pushed mouse button, I had already been dead...with CT destroyed. WTF? There were no enemy mechs behind me and Orion just could not deal 120+ dmg instantly! Conclusion? His projectiles simply have past through my front CT into my rear CT!

Edited by MrMadguy, 14 March 2015 - 06:47 AM.

#10 Baron Blitz Fokheimer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 147 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 06:55 AM

View PostMrMadguy, on 14 March 2015 - 06:45 AM, said:

Yeah, yesterday I've noticed this too. I was in my DWF-PRIME. My RT had it's armor stripped. But all other armor was yellow. But should I have worried about it? No. Cuz Clan mech can't die due to RT loss. That's why I attacked Orion, I had damaged very seriously just a few moments before. Yeah, he had hidden from me round the corner. I had to kill him via my next alpha, but before I even pushed mouse button, I had already been dead...with CT destroyed. WTF? There were no enemy mechs behind me and Orion just could not deal 120+ dmg instantly! Conclusion? His projectiles simply have past through my front CT into my rear CT!
Similar stuff happened to me. I get splashed with lasers, and only one component ever takes damage, even if I turn to avoid it. And then there was that one time when I had my back to an enemy, got shot, and my front took damage, killing me at almost full health. Still scratching my head about that one.

#11 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,981 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 March 2015 - 06:58 AM

Nobody ever has any trouble melting my face.. ever..

But I put 150 damage worth of laser into a Cicada earlier without my crosshair leaving his CT once just to strip its armor off, then another 50 damage to kill it...

And that was with 44 ping.. its getting frustrating.

Been on the receiving end of reach-around shots where I'm facing the enemy, but my back is blown out first.

and no it wasn't a sneaky FS doing it.

Edited by Mister D, 14 March 2015 - 07:00 AM.

#12 Burktross

• Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 14 March 2015 - 07:44 AM

Yes... I got gaussed in the front in my Pirate's Bane.
It took out my back.

#13 Darlith

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 348 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 08:50 AM

Had the trouble with damage to my front passing through to my rear off and on. For a bit there it felt like gauss rounds were doing it almost constantly. Also with people hitting my left torso and somehow my right torso takes damage when hit from the side.

Also suffered from the shoot an AC/20 round into something I couldn't possibly have missed (direwolf center) and had no-reg.

It is frustrating when it happens for certain.

#14 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 08:59 AM

Point to keep in mind is that we generally have no idea how much damage we SHOULD take when getting hit, but know exactly how much damage we should be dealing when hitting opponents (and seeing the damage not register, no crosshair flash, etc.)

I'm sure I've benefited from hit-reg issues in games, but I can't think of any specific instances because it is very rare to know exactly how much damage you should be taking and if you actually took it all or not. It's far easier to note when your AC20 round hits the center of a hopping mech... and does nothing.

#15 Palor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 372 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationManitowoc WI

Posted 14 March 2015 - 09:05 AM

I have 53 ping on avg and noticed my autocannon fire is exploding just before it hits enemy mechs. I lost a duel in My jager DD with 3 ultra ac 5 and 2 medium laser to a centurion. I put 15+ rounds of AC ammo into that little mechs back, and his health dropped from 88 to 84 (probably all from lasers), he turned around after offing another member of my team and killed me with a blast of medium lasers (90% health to dead). I got above a king crab and rained AC fire on it and never hit it. Game is definitely wonky.

#16 Baron Blitz Fokheimer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 147 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 09:30 AM

I just had a Timberwolf do the little hopping thing and evade every single one of my shots.

#17 Graugger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 765 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 09:45 AM

They couldn't nerf the weapons directly so they nerfed HSR to balance the game.

IE it seems possible that your hit ratio might be based on your ELO level to handicap your performance in matches you're "supposed" to lose.

#18 WarZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 538 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 09:51 AM

View PostBaron Blitz Fokheimer, on 14 March 2015 - 09:30 AM, said:

I just had a Timberwolf do the little hopping thing and evade every single one of my shots.

Yes you see it all the time now - and it definitely works. Most of my mechs dont have JJ so I dont even get to be tempted by the tactic. But when someone is using it, holy crap, you can tell the difference.

I couple weeks ago I put 15 volleys of 5 x clan medium pulse lasers into a spider that was doing the bunny hop before he finally died. He nearly killed me just before I got him, mainly because he was taking so little damage, yet he kept plinking away at me in a duel. All the while JJ bunny hopping. That was infuriating. If I had died to that bulls***, I would have been on break for the next 2 months from this game.

#19 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 14 March 2015 - 10:27 AM

If you've ever played skullgirls, used the GGPO client, fightercade, last gen third strike port, or similar, you should be very familiar with the failings of rollback.

#20 NotSoCoolJ

• PipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 10:43 AM

Yesterday I was spectating a Firestarter on my team that walked right up to the face of a Hellbringer and stopped. He took three dead center hits from AC/20. His armor flashed and he ran off with no damage. Two other people that were spectating him also commented about this in the game chat. Crazy stuff. No JJ involved either. Hit detection is pretty wonky for sure.

View PostVassago Rain, on 14 March 2015 - 10:27 AM, said:

If you've ever played skullgirls, used the GGPO client, fightercade, last gen third strike port, or similar, you should be very familiar with the failings of rollback.

It's not the concept of HSR that is flawed. It's the implementation.
Valve games have 100ms of HSR and those games play flawlessly hit detection wise.

I don't know what PGI is doing here. Safe to say it's something convoluted. It's not the engine at fault either. MWLL had much better hit detection that MWO does.

Edited by NotSoCoolJ, 14 March 2015 - 10:50 AM.

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users