#221 Tennex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 03:34 PM

View PostInspectorG, on 21 March 2015 - 03:32 PM, said:

They work for free?

They get paid to do a job held up to a certain standard. Just like you and me.

#222 InspectorG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 21 March 2015 - 03:41 PM

View PostTennex, on 21 March 2015 - 03:34 PM, said:

They get paid to do a job held up to a certain standard. Just like you and me.

But it comes from a limited supply of company resources, yes?

Maybe they can pay some some of the modelers/skinners/designers to take some time off from graphics and tell the gameplay guy that quirks spent on AMS/NARC/MG on a clan heavy that cant even compete with other clan mediums may not have been a good idea.

You know.

To appease the people that paid for them. So they may be more likely to buy future mechs, that may have less chance of sucking. Because they spent the time fixing gameplay issues. Instead of arm clipping. And barrel size that doesnt determine weight or damage.

Maybe they need fewer graphics people and more mathematicians?

#223 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 03:45 PM

View PostInspectorG, on 21 March 2015 - 03:41 PM, said:

But it comes from a limited supply of company resources, yes?

Maybe they can pay some some of the modelers/skinners/designers to take some time off from graphics and tell the gameplay guy that quirks spent on AMS/NARC/MG on a clan heavy that cant even compete with other clan mediums may not have been a good idea.

You know.

To appease the people that paid for them. So they may be more likely to buy future mechs, that may have less chance of sucking. Because they spent the time fixing gameplay issues. Instead of arm clipping. And barrel size that doesnt determine weight or damage.

Maybe they need fewer graphics people and more mathematicians?

They've had to hire new texture artists to meet the increased demand. I think they should hire another 3D artist myself.

But rules of profit says if you increase the amount of good produced, while keeping manpower the same or reducing quality of the materiel you make a larger profit.

I honestly think the modelers are overworked and pissed off. I think this is a passive aggressive way for them to say that.

#224 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 03:51 PM

View PostTennex, on 21 March 2015 - 03:45 PM, said:

They've had to hire new texture artists to meet the increased demand. I think they should hire another 3D artist myself.

But rules of profit says if you increase the amount of good produced, while keeping manpower the same or reducing quality of the materiel you make a larger profit.

I honestly think the modelers are overworked and pissed off. I think this is a passive aggressive way for them to say that.

Or it may be just a good old time constraint.

Ive done Graphics work before for a then Fortune 500 company.

But if they dont fix the gameplay and it becomes apparent they just produce new shiny for a meh type game. Comps will leave. Events will lapse. Community will dissolve. Company will fold.

#225 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 03:55 PM

View PostInspectorG, on 21 March 2015 - 03:51 PM, said:

Or it may be just a good old time constraint.

Ive done Graphics work before for a then Fortune 500 company.

But if they dont fix the gameplay and it becomes apparent they just produce new shiny for a meh type game. Comps will leave. Events will lapse. Community will dissolve. Company will fold.

Lol so.. we send our 3D artists and texture artists back to school and get degrees in computer science and programing. Is that what you are suggesting

I mean did they have you do accounting at your old job when you were hired to work on graphics

#226 Iqfish

• 3,488 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany, CGN

Posted 21 March 2015 - 04:03 PM

I agree with everything that is stated here.

A good thing is the texture quality finally improving. Some of the original mech textures look like a 2004 F2P shooter game.

In the end, pretty maps and nice features don't earn them direct money. Chassis do.

I would like to raise the animation argument too. Walking cycles are just being reused.

#227 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 04:05 PM

View PostTennex, on 21 March 2015 - 03:55 PM, said:

Lol so.. we send our 3D artists and texture artists back to school and get degrees in computer science and programing. Is that what you are suggesting

I mean did they have you do accounting at your old job when you were hired to work on graphics

HAHAHAHA

Actually, they did, in Accounts Auditing, but thats a stoopid story.

You missed my point and /sarc. Sorry.

Up top people should have been more focused on the Math, not the shiny. Yeah, people buy shiny. I do as well. But shiny gets quickly forgotten if the item in question doesnt really work properly.

In the non-profit sector this would be called 'mission creep' in reference to the 'Pillars' MWO was supposed to be built upon.

In the for-profit sector this might just be called 'riding two horses with one ass'.

They are veering to just producing New Shiny for the kids, not the promised gameplay for the gamers.

#228 Bloodweaver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 890 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 04:22 PM

View PostTennex, on 21 March 2015 - 03:45 PM, said:

Wow, interesting theory. Although I get more of the impression that the modelers we have now are not the same ones we had before.

Edited by Bloodweaver, 21 March 2015 - 04:24 PM.

#229 zagibu

• 2,253 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 04:59 PM

View PostBloodweaver, on 21 March 2015 - 04:22 PM, said:

Wow, interesting theory. Although I get more of the impression that the modelers we have now are not the same ones we had before.

Or the good modelers are busy modeling the next mech pack, so they use externals or trainees to do the rest.

#230 Lordred

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 05:39 PM

View PostIqfish, on 21 March 2015 - 04:03 PM, said:

A good thing is the texture quality finally improving.

No it is not, infact the texture quality is getting worse as time passes. Mostly in the slow reduction of mechs to 1024px maps, the poor jenner is sitting at 512px....

#231 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 06:31 PM

View Postzagibu, on 21 March 2015 - 04:59 PM, said:

Or the good modelers are busy modeling the next mech pack, so they use externals or trainees to do the rest.

that implies that the staff is growing tho. even though we know its not. Maybe they have the more junior members do this stuff

#232 Zerstorer Stallin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 683 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 06:39 PM

yes these are good points, if I had to pick one to fix it would be MEK size. Unless we could get a hail marry about how terrible the meta is and fix that.

#233 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 06:10 AM

View PostZerstorer Stallin, on 21 March 2015 - 06:39 PM, said:

yes these are good points, if I had to pick one to fix it would be MEK size. Unless we could get a hail marry about how terrible the meta is and fix that.

Size/scale affects play.

Shoulder joints clipping does not.

Meta is 'ok' so far. More objectives/gameplay modes and better CW. LRMs and Lights need better 'roles'.

#234 Alex Morgaine

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 01:00 PM

View PostLordred, on 21 March 2015 - 05:39 PM, said:

No it is not, infact the texture quality is getting worse as time passes. Mostly in the slow reduction of mechs to 1024px maps, the poor jenner is sitting at 512px....

While this does suck graphics wise... are the founders 512? The atlas and Jenner just have this perfect "old and faded" look that I love on them, but the hunches and catapult do seem almost too detailed compared to those two...

#235 Lordred

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 02:48 PM

View PostFrosty Brand, on 24 March 2015 - 01:00 PM, said:

While this does suck graphics wise... are the founders 512? The atlas and Jenner just have this perfect "old and faded" look that I love on them, but the hunches and catapult do seem almost too detailed compared to those two...

Founders Catapult and Hunchback are 2k RGB/DIF/SPC for main body and Variant parts. Atlas is 1k/2k/2k, and Jenner is 1k/1k/2k

#236 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 05:39 PM

Posted Image

#237 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 10:56 AM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 21 April 2015 - 08:55 AM, said:

Tuesday, April 21st @ 10AM – 1PM PDT

Patch Number: 1.3.388.0

'Mech Changes
  • Kit Fox now has animated talons.
  • Kit Fox no longer has a misaligned left clavicle.

YESSSSSSSS

#238 SaltBeef

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,081 posts
  • LocationOmni-mech cockpit.

Posted 21 April 2015 - 11:34 AM

Size worry huh!! The Ice ferret is as big as a Centurian, the Cent almost as big as an atlas. Nova and Dragonfly should be just a little bigger than and Adder , Kitfox.

#239 zagibu

• 2,253 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 02:36 PM

You do know it's possible to achieve old and faded without resorting to blurry textures, right?

#240 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 April 2015 - 02:43 PM

View PostBloodweaver, on 21 March 2015 - 04:22 PM, said:

Or coders, hence the we cant do alternate ammo because the dont know the code argument

Why is it the Beta looked better than it does now?

20 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 20 guests, 0 anonymous users