Stupid Nascar Meta

Gameplay

74 replies to this topic

#21 Baron Blitz Fokheimer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 147 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 07:38 PM

I always considered it to be a "pubbies can't sit still" issue. I also tend to notice that the players doing this are the same ones that give up the positions of teammates when there's only one or two left alive. Have we talked about that, by the way? We should. I would actually need more fingers than my hands have to count, in just the past few days, the amount of times that someone gave up my location to the enemy (and continued to do so while I moved) when I was the last one standing. The majority of the time, when I call that person out, the response is somewhere along the lines of "stfu [sexist/racial epithet along the lines of the f-word or n-word]".

Edited by Baron Blitz Fokheimer, 14 March 2015 - 07:39 PM.

#22 Nayru

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 231 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 07:43 PM

Vroom! Gotta go fast!

Leaving assaults behind? Gotta go slightly slower.

I miss 8v8.. 12v12 is such an enormous ****-fest on most maps, and the spawns don't help.

Really though, if you're in something that more than doubles the speed of your average assault, you shouldn't be bumrushing the entire enemy team, rather buzzing around your assault lance.

#23 Cyborne Elemental

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,956 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 March 2015 - 08:45 PM

I think fixing the spawn locations back to how they used to be would be a good first step.

The intent of these spread out random spawns was probably to toss up the gameplay, so that players would be compelled to "form up" where ever the Assaults start, but it barely even works.

Especially on maps like Alpine, if one team has the assaults start far away from the hill, while the opposing team gets to start closer to the feature focus of the map, its pretty much game over and decided before players even start their engines.

Lemming syndrome.

Edited by Mister D, 14 March 2015 - 08:55 PM.

#24 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 14 March 2015 - 08:47 PM

The only thing worse then giving the player base Skirmish was the damage done to the other two modes in an attempt to placate those whom wanted Skirmish: It tought everyone "it's all the same mode," and Teh Devs can't seem to undo the damage, not even with "a chance to get 50% off of OP Clan 'Mechs" …

View PostJman5, on 14 March 2015 - 07:23 PM, said:

Look, at the end of the day no one is forcing you to play the solo queue with random pugs. Go join a unit and you can form your firing lines all day with your premade.

Why do people insist joining a group is a cure-all? It's groups that want to NASdeathCARball …

And all the un-fun games had by "teams" of mis-matched Elos … <_<

#25 Adiuvo

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 08:52 PM

Rotating blindly isn't really the meta, it's suboptimal play. It does, however, offer the most reward for the least effort.

Voip exists now. Use it to coordinate your team and make the all the firing lines you want, or to cut across whatever you're rotating around.

#26 Baron Blitz Fokheimer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 147 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 09:02 PM

The River City nascar when the assaults spawn near the plane gets me laughing every time. When that happens, I intentionally rile up the rookies by telling them to quickly start circling around counter-clockwise, so that the assault lance dies and starts raging.

#27 Aresye

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 10:15 PM

View PostPjwned, on 14 March 2015 - 05:20 PM, said:

It's almost completely because of bad map design, and most of that comes from maps being too small.

The people playing aren't blameless of course, but the crappy maps are what enforce regular instances of the Indy 500 on maps like River City and it gets really old playing some of the current maps as a result.

Yup. Still happens on the larger maps occasionally, but it's practically a given that it's going to happen with any of the smaller maps.

#28 Divine Retribution

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 648 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 14 March 2015 - 10:22 PM

Nascar started when good players stayed together and focused down the strays of the enemy force. They stuck together and focused... It was an extension of the murderball.

For a long time bad players have been doing it too, often incorrectly.

You know what happens when bad players Nascar and the good players on the enemy team turn around?

The bad players run into a firing line 1 or 2 at a time and are slaughtered. Because they did it wrong. They didn't stay grouped because everyone has to go max throttle. They assumed the enemies are as bad as they are so the enemy morale would break, allowing the Nascars to run them down.

When you see the enemy team going Nascar and getting spread out see if you can get your team to turn around and form up. Those bad pilots will lemming right into the murderball until there is little left of the enemy team.

If you also have Nascar pilots on your team that won't do anything else, at least get the slower mechs to group up and hold a solid position. It will be better than trying to keep up and getting picked off 1 at a time. If you are lucky you can hold the enemy Nascar up while your own Nascar pilots circle the whole flipping map to get behind them and finish the job. The assaults can clean up if the enemy Nascar is really bad and spread out... 3 assaults vs. 1 or 2 mechs at a time are pretty good odds.

When all is said and done just remember you can't make you team not suck. Just do what you can and wait until the not so good players figure out what they did wrong.

EDIT: If your Nascars complain that you didn't try to keep up, just point out that they were trying to leave you for dead. Turnabout is fair play.

Edited by Divine Retribution, 14 March 2015 - 10:28 PM.

#29 badaa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 10:51 PM

the proper term is "nasshole", ie. those noobs runnning in a circle are "nassholes".

or i died because my team "nassholed" me to death

#30 Novakaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,705 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 14 March 2015 - 11:17 PM

Just A bunch of lemmings.
Posted Image

#31 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 15 March 2015 - 12:21 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 14 March 2015 - 06:22 PM, said:

IIRC, the birth of car racing was a thing that was created back in the prohibition days (no alcohol) where people built their own fast cars to avoid the cops while getting away with their secret stash of alcohol.

Today, NASCAR is famous for making exceptional left turns all day any day on a Saturday or Sunday of someone's convenience. Gotta go fast!

Minor nitpick here on your terminology.

The birth of car racing was in France in the late 19th century. The US didn't start racing cars until the early 20th century (and way before the prohibition).

The birth of NASCAR was as you say booze runners during the prohibition having nothing to do with their over-engined cars once the prohibition ended, but NASCAR is very, very far from the only way to race cars. In fact, many people believe it's one of the worst ways of doing it.

#32 Paigan

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 12:43 AM

Please stop usting the word meta wrongly
Because if every community redefines the meta of every meta at will, communication will become impossible in the end.
See what I meta?
Meta you very meta for your understanding!

Edited by Paigan, 15 March 2015 - 12:43 AM.

#33 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 15 March 2015 - 06:09 AM

View PostBaron Blitz Fokheimer, on 14 March 2015 - 07:38 PM, said:

I always considered it to be a "pubbies can't sit still" issue.

Ha! Try playing either River City in Assault! No one knows what the W key is for. Terra Therma? The main reason why so many players hate it (other than not knowing how to manage their heat) is because people stack up at an entry and then just stand there, the people in front don't want to move, the people behind them can't advance, and no one thinks to attempt to flank the enemy.

#34 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 15 March 2015 - 06:33 AM

View PostEscef, on 15 March 2015 - 06:09 AM, said:

Ha! Try playing either River City in Assault! No one knows what the W key is for.

It happens because the bases are right in front of each other but there's a river separating them. It's difficult/dangerous to flank the enemy because when you need to retreat, you have to cross the river which will make you naked in the open free for the enemy to shower with LRM/laser/bullets etc.

View PostEscef, on 15 March 2015 - 06:09 AM, said:

Terra Therma? The main reason why so many players hate it (other than not knowing how to manage their heat) is because people stack up at an entry and then just stand there, the people in front don't want to move, the people behind them can't advance, and no one thinks to attempt to flank the enemy.

This situation is also similar to the above when you're late to arrive at the center and need to flank. The flankers are in disadvantegous position because obviously the outer radius is far bigger than the center's so when your flanker lance needs to retreat, there's a possibility/danger that there's not enough time for them to reach the main force and just murderballed to extinction.

#35 Fuggles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 518 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 06:34 AM

I see it as a small map problem, trying to gank some fatties before they can group up. I think the small maps need to go.

#36 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 07:08 AM

Nascar or not, I am totally sick of the run to point X and camp there for 10 minutes while we poke and shoot. That is WAY more annoying than running around the map.

I'd rather see some movement even if it to run around the circle. Even if the movement was to go the opposite way of the norm and just meet the other team head on in a 12 v 12 mash up

but.....

No one does either of these most of the time. Wack-a-mole online is more like it.

Edited by Bigbacon, 15 March 2015 - 07:10 AM.

#37 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 15 March 2015 - 07:24 AM

"Anti-NASCAR" is a pretty standard order in Nova Cat drops. I do not get it, we play this game to have mechs fight mechs, right? So let's fight! Plus, all doing laps does is leave the fatties behind to get slaughtered, and with 1/4 of the team and 1/3 of the total team FIREPOWER dead in the first minute and a half, odds of success diminish tremendously.

#38 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 15 March 2015 - 07:27 AM

View PostHit the Deck, on 15 March 2015 - 06:33 AM, said:

It happens because the bases are right in front of each other but there's a river separating them. It's difficult/dangerous to flank the enemy because when you need to retreat, you have to cross the river which will make you naked in the open free for the enemy to shower with LRM/laser/bullets etc.

This situation is also similar to the above when you're late to arrive at the center and need to flank. The flankers are in disadvantegous position because obviously the outer radius is far bigger than the center's so when your flanker lance needs to retreat, there's a possibility/danger that there's not enough time for them to reach the main force and just murderballed to extinction.

I don't care how you justify it, it's a bunch of people that are afraid to fight logging into a war game. If you don't want to fight than don't log into a game that involves shooting at the opponent. May I recommend Tetris?

#39 Rossario x Vampire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationHybrid Mixbreed World ex Machine

Posted 15 March 2015 - 07:55 AM

Few matches away some guy in River Butthurt City Night asked our team:

- What's the plan?

And get answered simple by some guy driving an BNC-3M(C):

- NASCAR

Result: - We won 12 to 3.
Summary: - Youcan be angry and about NASCAR, you can even QQ about it on forum. NASCAR is NASCAR. Until it brings home a Victory no body does give a single shag.

#40 Reitrix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 08:53 AM

View PostRossario x Vampire, on 15 March 2015 - 07:55 AM, said:

Few matches away some guy in River Butthurt City Night asked our team:

- What's the plan?

And get answered simple by some guy driving an BNC-3M(C):

- NASCAR

Result: - We won 12 to 3.
Summary: - Youcan be angry and about NASCAR, you can even QQ about it on forum. NASCAR is NASCAR. Until it brings home a Victory no body does give a single shag.

Grabbed a friend for some MWO tonight.

7 minutes into our second match on Caustic ... We had just run our 3rd lap. 1 Kill.

Add to that my 'Invincibility Juice' AKA: Jump Jets on my Thunderbolt, and i got bored and ran right across the enemy firing line of 10 'mechs, lost my shield arm for my efforts, 20 seconds in the open, in a straight line. Most of the incoming damage was LRM.

Yeah, I'm just going to flatly refuse to play with my friend at all because the Group Queue is the worst experience I've ever had in all my years playing this game.

Edited by Reitrix, 15 March 2015 - 08:53 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users