13 replies to this topic

#1 Raggedyman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationFreedonia Institute of Mech Husbandry

Posted 16 March 2015 - 04:44 AM

I'm not a 'hardcore' player, if I'm lucky I get to do a couple of hours of mechwarrior a weekend as I've got things like family, friends, and other activities. When I do play I'm also not the biggest killer in the game, I tend to rack-up 7+ assists and 300+ damage because I'm always looking for the next red that needs taking out or blue that needs support. All this means that when a tournament or challenge happens I know I'm neither going to have the time or the playing style to get anything from it.

However the 30+ pts criteria of The Pot Of Gold combined with each round play giving a reward was just brilliant for me, as it gave me a reason to make some time to play and then an excuse to hang around for a couple more games than usual. I could also play my regular game that bit harder than usual to try for the extra 'oooh, shinny!' of the final results, rather than be three-quaters of the way through the round and know I'm screwed for whatever bonus reward is wafting on past me. It felt like my time was well spent, rather than wasted, and I didn't see massive changes in playing style from other people that often appear during the weekend specials. Okay, so the rewards weren't 'huge' but I've got an extra 2.5 million CBills out of it, which for me is maybe a week or so of real time.

Whilst I don't want to see the new method for every challenge, as it would get dull and remove anything aimed at the more hardcore or spare-time rich player, I think it really worked for myself (and presumably others like myself) so I wanted to give a thumbs-up and a thank-you for it.

#2 Voq

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 249 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 04:56 AM

I really enjoyed a simple tournament like this as well. I noted similar things as you.

1. I tended to log a few more matches because I knew there was that carrot on a stick luring me.
2. I saw a better spread of weight classes (it seemed pretty close to 25-25-25-25 most of the first part of the weekend).
3. Got to see lots of matches with people's chosen Heroes and such, which was fun.

All in all, it was fun, with no down side.

#3 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 16 March 2015 - 05:00 AM

This wasn't a tournament it was a "Event".

#4 legionofvega

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 127 posts
  • LocationSecond Try - Home of the RDR

Posted 16 March 2015 - 05:04 AM

Agreed, I played 20+ games this weekend and for me that's a ton these days. The 30 points was just enough to make it challenging to fight for a decent score. I wish I had more time to rack up some free cash. I liked the twist of making the Hero and mech pack mechs worth a bit more. I've invested a lot of money into these and it was nice to see it literally pay off in a new way!

In a gameplay note all the games I had this weekend were a ton of fun. Only in a few cases did I see my team rofl stomp someone or had my team be the ones to be stomped.

#5 Raggedyman

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,278 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 05:04 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 16 March 2015 - 05:00 AM, said:

This wasn't a tournament it was a "Event".

/me checks the news posts and finds they called it an Event

apologies, I thought it was a tournament as they had it on the tournament URL.

#6 Voq

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 249 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 05:13 AM

View PostRaggedyman, on 16 March 2015 - 05:04 AM, said:

/me checks the news posts and finds they called it an Event

apologies, I thought it was a tournament as they had it on the tournament URL.

It's kind of splitting hairs. We really almost never do actual tournaments, but they list the event on the tournament page.

#7 Jon Gotham

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 05:13 AM

View Postlegionofvega, on 16 March 2015 - 05:04 AM, said:

In a gameplay note all the games I had this weekend were a ton of fun. Only in a few cases did I see my team rofl stomp someone or had my team be the ones to be stomped.

I did light,medium and heavy the full 20. I gave up with the assaults because solo queue+slow mech+selfish players=misery.
Nearly every game was a stomp one way or the other. In fact I'd go as far to say 95% + of my pug games are stomps.
But the idea of match score was a good one-it doesn't matter if you lose, just how well you play. We need more of that frankly.

#8 sneeking

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,586 posts
  • Locationwest OZ

Posted 16 March 2015 - 05:24 AM

Its pretty relaxed I like it, also like the way it runs into mid week.

My time zone has the games weekend start Saturday morning so im back at work before its over, I can actually get some Wednesday arvo games in after work the way it is.

I should get about 7 or 8 million after a few more heavy class matches tomorrow, not greedy don't feel like I must get 12 million.

#9 Scyther

• 1,271 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 16 March 2015 - 05:25 AM

I do the other events (the jump-through-hoops 50 times ones) for various reasons, and usually find them instructive. The different conditions modify my approach to the game and usually teach me something, even if it is a substantial grind.

For me, the 'prize' normally isn't worth the effort by itself, but the premium time, extra C-bills and XP, levelling a couple mechs, and the learning experience make the whole process worth doing but not generally 'fun'. More like 'eat your spinach it's good for you' sorta thing.

This event, however, while taking just as much time to max out, just felt more relaxed, more rewarding, and actually more fun than even normal play. I still learned/improved some skills, but had a much better feeling during each match played. Also saw a lot of really good matches over the weekend.

Like the OP, I don't feel every event/challenge needs to go this way, but it was a really nice setup to add to the mix.

#10 Mirumoto Izanami

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 05:26 AM

It was relaxing. Also liked that it drew "team only" players to the solo queue. Got to fight some "celebs".

Edited by Mirumoto Izanami, 16 March 2015 - 05:27 AM.

#11 Raggedyman

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,278 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 05:27 AM

View Postsneeking, on 16 March 2015 - 05:24 AM, said:

Its pretty relaxed I like it, also like the way it runs into mid week.

I totally didn't notice that bit. Another thumbs up for the new style of event!

Also: so many Heros on the field means so much more colour about the place. Yes, its a means to get people to spend more money but everything just looked that much more exciting, or at least heading towards 80's pop-video levels of colour clash. ;-)

#12 sneeking

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,586 posts
  • Locationwest OZ

Posted 16 March 2015 - 05:39 AM

Yea that 10am Tuesday thing sits around 10pm Wednesday for me ( give or take depending on daylight savings )

#13 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 16 March 2015 - 05:48 AM

View PostVoq, on 16 March 2015 - 05:13 AM, said:

It's kind of splitting hairs. We really almost never do actual tournaments, but they list the event on the tournament page.

We have lots of "challenges", A few "Events" and no "Tournaments" for a while. ;)

Event- Do stuff
Challenge- Try to do stuff
Tournament- Do stuff better than everyone else. B)

#14 Voq

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 249 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 09:43 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 16 March 2015 - 05:48 AM, said:

We have lots of "challenges", A few "Events" and no "Tournaments" for a while. ;)

Event- Do stuff
Challenge- Try to do stuff
Tournament- Do stuff better than everyone else. B)

Haha, I do understand the difference. I was only pointing out that the OP probably wasn't focusing particularly on that word in the original post.
In general, we lump all these special circumstances (be they events, challenges, or tournaments) into one group. It's a special setting where we can earn new things for free.

That's all.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users