36 replies to this topic

#21 Idealsuspect

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 09:00 AM

View PostMystere, on 20 April 2015 - 07:00 AM, said:

I only drop solo in MWO and I disagree with you.

What CW could use are asymmetric game modes like this.

Also, I can't comment on the 4x4 mode mentioned due to lack of details.

You disagree about what? You want go back to period when pugs and groups even large one where mixed in conquest / assaut / skirmish modes .?
You disagree cause you think casuals pugs are ok to be rollstomp after and after and they will stay in MWO for get this more and more :)?

Edited by Idealsuspect, 20 April 2015 - 09:07 AM.

#22 Idealsuspect

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 09:05 AM

View PostCyclonerM, on 20 April 2015 - 03:40 AM, said:

CW as a whole does not have nearly the number of players the public queque has, so segregation is not viable. I fear this is the honest truth ;)

I know you only play with large premade also i wasn't expect other response that this one ... :) that why i answer that before you reply >>>>

View PostIdealsuspect, on 19 April 2015 - 11:00 AM, said:

Yea i know people who play only in large premade will say " there isnt enought population for separate blablabla " like they did with regular queue ... and watch regulars queue have lots of matchs in pugs or group queue whatever.
Be honest :).

I fear you lie to yourself.

#23 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 20 April 2015 - 09:10 AM

View PostIdealsuspect, on 20 April 2015 - 09:00 AM, said:

You disagree about what? You want go back to period when pugs and group where mixed in conquest / assaut / skirmish modes .?
You disagree cause you think casuals pugs are ok to be rollstomp after and after and they will stay in MWO for get this more and more :)?

I disagree with separating the players in Community Warfare. PGI can keep the public queues as is if they really insist (although I didn't find it much of a problem back then when solos were mixed with groups. YMMV of course. :P ).

In CW, my PUG groups have been stomped by some 12-mans. Some 12-mans have been stomped by my PUG groups. That's fine enough by me.

#24 Idealsuspect

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 11:50 AM

View PostMystere, on 20 April 2015 - 09:10 AM, said:

In CW, my PUG groups have been stomped by some 12-mans. Some 12-mans have been stomped by my PUG groups. That's fine enough by me.

Yes same for me... Even most of time large premade will win VS pugs cause they are coordinate of course...

View PostMystere, on 20 April 2015 - 09:10 AM, said:

I disagree with separating the players in Community Warfare. PGI can keep the public queues as is if they really insist (although I didn't find it much of a problem back then when solos were mixed with groups. YMMV of course. :P ).

It isn't a big problem for hardcore pugs players like us yes of course...
But casuals pugs players will and play some few games then leave definitely this mode if they got stomped a lot and it's understandable.
I am playing with liao for example they have only very few large premade playing or only pugs, there is no 4' or 6' at all. I guess clanner play more with group little or big but in IS, even other faction, i didn't see that every game but maybe 1/3 of games.

For finish we know PGI insist in theirs failure : no VOIP for years, mixing pugs and group in regulars queue for years too, look this LFG feature it come 3 years late now hardcore players don't care anymore and pugs who use it are facing true coordinate groups ... anyway they will insist with CW for years or months too and lose some potential players/customers.

Edited by Idealsuspect, 20 April 2015 - 11:55 AM.

#25 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,685 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 21 April 2015 - 07:36 AM

View Postrolly, on 20 April 2015 - 06:27 AM, said:

YES. Anything would be better than the current carnival ride of a shell game. I love the detail and the warning and RP element. Absolutely support this %100.00 with bacon on top.

View PostIdealsuspect, on 20 April 2015 - 09:05 AM, said:

I know you only play with large premade also i wasn't expect other response that this one ... :) that why i answer that before

If i were an abitual pug in CW, the truth would not be different. Unless public queques have 0 players for most of the day, CW will always have considerably less players and, unfortunately, unit players cannot always have exactly 12 players available for CW (some will do other stuff, or there will just be less or more than 12, 24, etc.) so fillers are needed.

It may sound a bit harsh, but if MWO had a lot of more players in CW, i think it would not have had such a fragmentation, instead CW might be restricted to group only as it is in World of Tanks and probably others. At this point, there is very little PGI can do to help pugs vs premades. They put VOIP and LFG, which are tools they can use, if for any reason they do not want to join an unit or just play in TS with a random drop group in the big TS servers like the NGNG one.

I hope 4vs4 will help, i will definitely try it out.

EDIT: on the other hand, you have to remember this is a team game. Teamwork should be not only rewarded, but fundamental. You cannot just run around alone, get a few kills and start dropping gunships and nukes on the battlefield (see what i did there?) and hope your team will win.. Or you will survive long :P

Edited by CyclonerM, 21 April 2015 - 07:38 AM.

#26 Idealsuspect

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 12:39 PM

View PostCyclonerM, on 21 April 2015 - 07:36 AM, said:

If i were an abitual pug in CW, the truth would not be different. Unless public queques have 0 players for most of the day, CW will always have considerably less players and, unfortunately, unit players cannot always have exactly 12 players available for CW (some will do other stuff, or there will just be less or more than 12, 24, etc.) so fillers are needed.

It may sound a bit harsh, but if MWO had a lot of more players in CW, i think it would not have had such a fragmentation, instead CW might be restricted to group only as it is in World of Tanks and probably others. At this point, there is very little PGI can do to help pugs vs premades. They put VOIP and LFG, which are tools they can use, if for any reason they do not want to join an unit or just play in TS with a random drop group in the big TS servers like the NGNG one.

Maybe if CW matchs were more fair ( mean pugs don't meet groups from any size >>> like with regulars queues mode ) people will stay and enjoy the game... no fair matchs after and after >>> no abitual community players same for small units.

In fact if CW gave no CW rewards and freebies, i will not play myself CW even i still like this mode...

People who aren't in love with BT universe don't care about thoses rewards also why they should play this mode a bit annoying ( long and freaky queue waiting time, 30 minutes match, need 4 mechs >>> some of Pugs have only trials ) ect ect.

------------------------------------------------------------

VOIP and LFG come with 3 years late ... :) It should be feature for MWO game not only 1 year after CW is avaiable.
Now core MWO players who played this game without thoses features still using TS3 and will build group with theirs own friendlist.
Only total solo newbies try to use LFG, also they form a 4' ( infact a true bunch of newbies no injure ) and they face true veterans groups.... >>>> expected opposite effect

And for CW i don't know for others factions but i never saw a group in LFG CW mode maybe it's only liao i hope... ( this faction is so empty it's a pain for find a game. After rank 6 my unit leave permanently Liao >>> CIAO :rolleyes: .

Edited by Idealsuspect, 21 April 2015 - 12:45 PM.

#27 ShaneoftheDead

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 21 April 2015 - 08:21 PM

Another Idea for CW Phase 3:
Add a game mode called "Patrol" which is Skirmish mode. No bases, no turrets, no Omega. Just 12 v 12.
Maybe just re-use the regular maps, maybe have new ones, or both.

#28 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 10:50 AM

View PostRameau, on 21 April 2015 - 12:51 PM, said:

My greetings to the MWO Community!

I’ve started playing MWO about 2 months ago and, as a new player, I’d like to share my first impressions of the game.

My very first impression was that Community Warfare looks extremely cool – but it’s quite pointless at the same time: in 30-40 minutes of game in public matches, I can earn at least three times as many credits as I would get playing a CW match. And as a new player, I am very hungry for credits as I still need to buy and customize a lot of mechs just to have a flexible dropdeck. Not to mention there is simply no point in conquering a planet besides the vague pride of conquering territory for your faction. No wonder most players are more interested in playing public games! It’s a pity, really: the game looks beautiful, but the CW system simply doesn’t work, as it doesn’t fulfill its main role, that is to motivate people to play! So I’ve put a bit of thought into this, and here are a few suggestions:

Welcome to the game!

I do not want to sound rude, but Russ consider CW end-game content - and i agree. To be as effective in CW as possible, ideally you should own and customize 4 mastered 'Mechs of different weight classes , all with modules and consumables, possibly even more to have different dropdecks at your disposal in case your drop commander asks you to run something else. This is simply too much for a new player.

And as you say, a new player's goal, beside learning the basic and the advanced stuff, is making money to build his own army of 'Mechs. Which is absolutely fine. But that is not what CW is for. As Russ himself said a while ago, the point of CW is not making money, but fighting for territorial control. I am absolutely fine with it, because i can earn money (more money, actually) in pub drops, but after almost 2 years they get boring. All this time i had waited for a game mode different than random quick deathmatch, something where our victories and defeats mattered and we could immerse ourselves in the BT universe. That mode is CW. While i agree that the actual implementation is very bland and could have been done MUCH better from the start with more time and creativity, but it is still better than the nothing we had before. Nosense deathmatch, again and again.

Also, i do not usually experience such long wait times. If i have to wait about 10 minutes, fine. I read the forums or a book, text on my phone or watch an episode of Breaking Bad, when not/while enjoying a conversation with my unit mates (i like multitasking :P ).

2 – Besides plain greed, nothing motivates a human being more than inflating his ego and showing his “superior” skills to his friends. MWO needs to learn the lessons taught by other successful online games, such as League of Legends, that centers the rewards of teamwork in the player's profile..

While i agree that some kind of stats could be showed in the player's profile, i take my personal pride in the planets conquered by my Clan, especially when i partecipated in those battles and gave my contribute. That may be just me, and while i still take pride in having a decent number of kills and damage, i mostly take pride in my Clan's victories and i get ashamed of my Clan's defeats more than my own performance sucking lol.

3 – The way CW is structured right now, there is absolutely no difference between conquering a planet and conquering any other. Planets are just dots with names on the screen – and the fact that faction A has more planets than faction B means absolutely nothing. Every planet should offer its direct conquerors (and their entire faction) a unique reward. For example: Bergan Industries, the company that produces the Locust mech, has factory sites in planets Alshain, Ares, New Earth, New Oslo and Thule, so the faction(s) that controls those planets should be able to provide those mechs to its members/mercenaries at reduced cost – if my faction controls Thule, I should be able to buy a locust mech with, say, a 30% discount; or perhaps the discount could be better the longer my contract with my faction? Moreover, the players directly involved in the conquest of a planet should earn unique rewards. For example: a player that has played at least a third of the victorious matches that resulted in the conquest of Thule, where there is a factory of Bergan Industries, should earn a locust mech for free – and perhaps one with unique hardpoints, or with a unique paint job? That would make players dream about conquering a specific planet just so they can get a unique variant of that mech they love. Perhaps the very last battle to conquer a planet that has a mech factory could be in a map where the attacker team has to invade an actual mech factory? Can you imagine, fighting inside the assembly line of mechs in production? But since not every planet has a mech factory, other planets could provide discounts for buying specific weapons, equipment, or other advantages. For example, some planets could be financial: controling a rich planet gives a faction a stronger economy that allows it to pay its enlisted mechwarriors / signed mercenaries higher rewards for every mission. Thus, with a global bonus (extended to every member of the faction) for every conquered planet, every player will be interested in the success of its faction in CW, as it directly affects his pocket whether he is actualy playing CW or not!

Absolutely! If you have read my suggestions, there are a lot of ideas about how conquered planets can give bonuses, affect 'Mech, weapons and equipment cost and R&R.

Some planets should be strategically more important from a factory availability point of view; others would have a big population which would mean more income for your faction and more military budget and pay for regulars etc..

If we want to really go hardcore, some planets could have materials needed to build 'Mechs and weapons and they, togheter with the factories, would impact cost and availability of 'Mechs etc.

And I should add a 4th element – Roleplaying and imagination is a very important part of a player’s experience, especialy for a player that has played Battletech tabletop since childhood (as it is my case here!). I understand the CW maps are still being developed, but I hope some day every planet will have a unique environment and a unique aesthetic personality. Rich, populous planets should only have city maps, cold planets should only have white-cold maps, sulfurous planets should only have sulfurous maps, and so on. This way, we will always remember each planet for its unique environment. Thus, the conquest of each planet would produce unique memories, as opposed to just conquering another dot on the screen, the same as any other, as it is in CW right now.

Indeed, indeed. RP and imagination are the driving force that keep me playing this game ;)

The only way to achieve what you say would be randomly generating thousands of maps, something Russ does not want to do because randomly generated maps would not be optimized for gameplay.. But i would not care. If having bases in maps with no easily defensible positions etc. is the trade off for unique maps , instead of playing the same all over , studying them and craft tactics for each of them, i would gladly take it.

About planets: many planets in the Inner Sphere are Earth-like, this means they are not just cold or hot. On the other hand, some marginally-habitable planets are settled by humans, but i think most planets have different environments, just like Terra. Having different maps makes sense, quiaff? ;)

View PostShaneoftheDead, on 21 April 2015 - 08:21 PM, said:

Another Idea for CW Phase 3:
Add a game mode called "Patrol" which is Skirmish mode. No bases, no turrets, no Omega. Just 12 v 12.
Maybe just re-use the regular maps, maybe have new ones, or both.

Probably with the older maps, in order to have more variety.

That would be fine by me, but you need a way to integrate it with the current zone-taking mechanic. I do not think Russ would make a 12vs12 mode in CW, anyway. But that could be done imho. Maybe not in place of counterattack, though: attackers would probably defend it, so it makes sense to have counterattack in the same maps.

View PostIdealsuspect, on 21 April 2015 - 12:39 PM, said:

People who aren't in love with BT universe don't care about thoses rewards also why they should play this mode a bit annoying ( long and freaky queue waiting time, 30 minutes match, need 4 mechs >>> some of Pugs have only trials ) ect ect.

Who does not care AT ALL about MCs and C-Bills? :o :P

As i said, i do not experience often such long waits usually.

Besides, 30min matches should be points in favor of CW imho.. Even if actual engagements in Battletech often last quite less time.

As i said, CW is end-game content, explicitely catering to units and experienced players. The shark pool. And i cannot blame it. The fact that you need 4 'Mechs is why new players should first get their 'Mechs mastered and ready before fighting in CW.

I mean, all the sort of scum like pugs or new players (:P) are allowed in CW, but they must know they will not be 100% effective for the usual reasons. It is just impossible to make a game mode cater to experienced players who are part of big units and who have waited years to get CW (and among them there are those who just want the money and rewards and those who want to capture planets, the supposed point of CW), new players who drop with 3 Trial 'Mechs, pugs who want to be able to rambo, get their kills and c-bills and get out as fast as possible, imho.

#29 Idealsuspect

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 11:15 AM

You haven't waiting time issue cause clans are low populated and have lots of opponents, well you will have less and less opponent if you lose more planets check map^^.

View PostCyclonerM, on 22 April 2015 - 10:50 AM, said:

I mean, all the sort of scum like pugs or new players ( :P) are allowed in CW, but they must know they will not be 100% effective for the usual reasons. It is just impossible to make a game mode cater to experienced players who are part of big units and who have waited years to get CW (and among them there are those who just want the money and rewards and those who want to capture planets, the supposed point of CW), new players who drop with 3 Trial 'Mechs, pugs who want to be able to rambo, get their kills and c-bills and get out as fast as possible, imho.

Interesting you considere pugs and new players same way, typical from someone who can't play without large premade behind maybe :lol: .
Also why you keep wanna play vs thoses scums like you call them? You just want your part of rollstomp even it's killing this mode and more of that this game?

A PUGs queue and Groups queue separated should be good for you.
You will have games only VS large premade like you and ( well i know people like you ) you will back to PUGs queue really fast.
Without PUGs CW can't work? Also PGI have to design CW for PUGs use and give them fair matchs >>> Separate queue.

Well you can keep lie to yourself and say no :) it's obvious everybody defend theirs possess.
( I play in 12' and love it but i coulnd play in 12' only vs disorganized PUGs team ... it's like cheat for me, cheat = no challenge = no improving skills = waste of time )

Edited by Idealsuspect, 22 April 2015 - 11:15 AM.

#30 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 12:03 PM

View PostIdealsuspect, on 22 April 2015 - 11:15 AM, said:

You haven't waiting time issue cause clans are low populated and have lots of opponents, well you will have less and less opponent if you lose more planets check map^^.

Considering how the new system work, the outnumbered Clans are actually going to have a bad time, i fear :P

Interesting you considere pugs and new players same way, typical from someone who can't play without large premade behind maybe :lol: .
Also why you keep wanna play vs thoses scums like you call them? You just want your part of rollstomp even it's killing this mode and more of that this game?

"scum" was a joke ofc.

I consider that both of them usually play solo, that is where my main mental distinction is. A very good pug cannot do in CW much better alone than a new players. It is a teamwork matter, you know. Of course, if a competitive player like Aresye drops alone as a pug, he will not be the same as the new player, but even he alone cannot change the outcome of a CW match ;)

A PUGs queue and Groups queue separated should be good for you.
You will have games only VS large premade like you and ( well i know people like you ) you will back to PUGs queue really fast.

I do not want easy stomps.. I want to get a match ;) And small groups/pugs provide the necessary fillings to get matches.
Besides, i like to play CW with my unit, i would rarely play in the solo queque if there was one.

Without PUGs CW can't work? Also PGI have to design CW for PUGs use and give them fair matchs >>> Separate queue.

If you have a solution that can work with the current numbers in CW (which are visible to everyone), then create a thread detailing your suggestion, get feedback and hope PGI reads it. From the numbers i see and Russ' non-stop comments about getting more players in CW, i fear there is nothing i can suggest to fix it. But after all, you are in said situation, maybe you have a workable idea ;)

To be fairly onest, i like when things in games follow some kind of logic, and a planet able to be taken only by pugs sounds a bit strange to me. Why would any army send a company of lone "sellswords" to attack a planet? In this case this is not quite the primary concern, i know, but since i wanted to be fully honest, i must admit that thought feels a bit strange to me :P

EDIT: you remember the 12men queque, right? That did not really work..

Edited by CyclonerM, 22 April 2015 - 12:06 PM.

#31 Idealsuspect

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 12:17 PM

View PostCyclonerM, on 22 April 2015 - 12:03 PM, said:

It seem MWO can't really survive without PUGs ... that's why PGI have to provide them fair and balanced experience .. or they will leave little by little and worse in fact they will not stay at all.

After 20 rollstomp if you don't wanna be a part of group just for play a game without being rollstomped or maybe coze of language lack or no time ( play in group requier more waiting time ) well this pug will leave that all.

Also my solution for populated CW is to give fair matchs to most of people, PUGs include or they will leave CW maybe leave MWO too uninstall and never come back.

When units will be almost alone they will wait more and more ( IS unit wait already a lot ) and little by little they will left CW too.
Like ocean wave or climatic effet sometime you can stop a process even you find a solution... it's too late because people persist in thiers failures.

For finish isn't unit players, or PUGs/new players fault... it's PGI fault totally.

#32 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 12:22 PM

But.. What is your solution to have fair matches for everyone?

#33 Kiernan JHEREG Piper

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • LocationColorado, USA

Posted 22 April 2015 - 04:09 PM

Most importantly in CW there needs to be an alternate Landing Zone that you can drop into, instead of being dropped into a group of spawn-camping fools or just straight into the close-defense of your objective point.

How many helo/dropship drivers are going to drop their troops into the middle of the firefight or on a compromized LZ?

Just have alternate drop points setup that if there are nme forces withing 'xyz' distance , the next drops are made in an alternate area, automatically.

Outside of that, the CW has been a gamesaver and allows a much greater appreciation of tactical flexibility than the normal arenas allow.

Thanks,

Scott 'JHEREG'

#34 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 03:45 AM

View PostKiernan JHEREG Piper, on 22 April 2015 - 04:09 PM, said:

Most importantly in CW there needs to be an alternate Landing Zone that you can drop into, instead of being dropped into a group of spawn-camping fools or just straight into the close-defense of your objective point.

How many helo/dropship drivers are going to drop their troops into the middle of the firefight or on a compromized LZ?

Just have alternate drop points setup that if there are nme forces withing 'xyz' distance , the next drops are made in an alternate area, automatically.

Absolutely, it is something i forgot to address in my first post, but i definitely agree. It makes no sense that the Leopards keep dropping 'Mechs into a very hot drop zone. However, the map design gives PGI very few alternative areas to drop 'Mechs in. Either they expand the maps (a good solution imho) or they implement Russ' idea of dropships hovering to defend a contested drop zone if enemy get into X meters from the spawn points. However, i would like if Leopards had their canon loadout (a lot of weapons!) and only one of them could hover at any time over the area. It should not focus all its weapons on a single 'Mechs though, or it would be really devastating.

A variant could be having the dropships just doing quick sweeps, firing all their weapons and flying away after having dropped their 'Mechs if there are any respawning. I also like this one.

#35 Kotev

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 165 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 04:38 AM

I read and loved many great ideas here which probably need time to be implemented. I`m not expert but i think that this game is massive project with many things to ballance and implement. I`m here from the begining and from my perspective the game gets better and better with time.

#36 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 04 May 2015 - 02:57 PM

View PostCyclonerM, on 17 March 2015 - 02:27 PM, said:

Now, either applaude or throw rocks! :D

Posted Image

#37 CtrlAltWheee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 610 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 06:14 PM

Came here from the ngng forum post. Lot of great ideas.

#1 priority for me is rethink map philosophy. Open, large maps like Arma is what I imagined CW to be. More like a sandbox than an arena.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users