Are There Any Zeus Builds That Aren't Useless?

48 replies to this topic

#41 Dr Zeus

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 10:43 AM

View PostDawnstealer, on 29 April 2016 - 09:53 AM, said:

I like this one:

ZEU-9S

3 ERLL, 3 MLs on the arm for dealing with littleuns, and an AMS.

Can zombie up.

This one was my standard in FW for a long, long while before eventually being replaced by a Marauder.

Yeah this one. It is my go to Zeus. I like the STD engine in it. I can't tell you how many times have been missing my whole right side (or even just a stick) and still dealing out damage. Definitely a strong build.

#42 oldradagast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 02:53 PM

There's nothing really wrong with the Zeus - across all variants, you have options that cover all weapons, it has decent (but not great) hardpoints, a high engine cap, decent mobility, and good hitboxes.

The problem it faces is really that it competes with the Stalkers and Battlemasters, two of the best assaults in the game. The Stalkers are at least as tanky and have lots of high weapon mounts, and the Battlemasters, while not as tanky as the Stalker, basically cover all the weapon options the Zeus has, but with lots of high mounted weapons.

It's a real challenge that the game faces, and I'm not sure anything can be done about it: small differences in hardpoint placement and geometry create a huge effect on a mech's viability, especially if there's a similar mech in a nearby tonnage slot that has better hardpoints or hitboxes.

Edited by oldradagast, 09 May 2016 - 02:53 PM.

#43 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 10 May 2016 - 02:19 AM

View Postoldradagast, on 09 May 2016 - 02:53 PM, said:

There's nothing really wrong with the Zeus - across all variants, you have options that cover all weapons, it has decent (but not great) hardpoints, a high engine cap, decent mobility, and good hitboxes.

The problem it faces is really that it competes with the Stalkers and Battlemasters, two of the best assaults in the game. The Stalkers are at least as tanky and have lots of high weapon mounts, and the Battlemasters, while not as tanky as the Stalker, basically cover all the weapon options the Zeus has, but with lots of high mounted weapons.

It's a real challenge that the game faces, and I'm not sure anything can be done about it: small differences in hardpoint placement and geometry create a huge effect on a mech's viability, especially if there's a similar mech in a nearby tonnage slot that has better hardpoints or hitboxes.

The Zeus vs BattleMaster has the advantage of the better torso agility - just 10° without quirks - and the hitboxes are as good. Not to mention with a pure energy/(ballistic) build you have a complete shield side and this missile arm just soaks up shots from almost any angle (keep in mind when placing missiles and ammunition there)

Zeus is no peak a boo Mech - its a hit & run mech - and played as such it is great

#44 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 13 May 2016 - 07:44 AM

View PostHemholtz, on 21 March 2015 - 07:44 AM, said:

Not sure about Zeus being XL friendly...almost always got a ST blown off for me and most of the firepower is on the left side.

I've never ran anything less than a xl340 in my Zeus... It tanks through everything and I typically lose hardpoints before the ST pops. Stop playing it like an assault and play it like a heavy. My 9t averages 419 dmg a match and 2.22 kdr.

#45 Chroma-Matic

• Pip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 08:00 AM

This is exactly how one needs to pilot the Zeus in my opinion. The advantages that the Zeus has going for it is its speed and maneuverability despite being only 80 tons. The Zeus has to be played more as a heavy rather than a lumbering tanking assault. I am currently revisiting my Zeus mechs more specifically the ZEU-9S2(L). I always thought this variant was rather underpowered until I built this:

ZEU-9S2(L)

SRM 6 x3
LRG PULSE LASER x2
SRM AMMO X5
XL ENGINE 360

It doesn't look like much, however, staying mobile and using hit and run tactics or fighting just outside the brawl really is where this mech shines.

#46 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 18 June 2016 - 05:53 AM

I think the Zeus is a great mech. I've used my 9s2 L in Faction Warfare to good effect, got pretty nice kills. I even headshot a Shadow Cat around a corner on that foresty map, as far as I remember with my Ac 10. It was glorious!

The thing is that the mech might be turned down by those that find getting a good convergence with many arm weapons and few torso weapons a struggle. Its all about getting used to it.

#47 Trollfeed

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 04:10 PM

My favourite Zeus models are 6S and 9S2. I run 6S as a gauss + 3 ERLL side poker and 9S2 with AC10, 2LL and 3xSRM4, both with XL350. 9S2 is interesting because it really works for me with that weird weapon combo, you can do side poking effectively and because AC and SRMs are on arms it's pretty deadly in a brawl.

#48 Lorcryst NySell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 533 posts
  • LocationBetween Chair and Keyboard

Posted 16 April 2017 - 12:03 AM

Holy Threadomancy Batman !

The last reply to this thread before April 5 2017 was in June 2016 ... I've seen worse, but 10 months dead is quite pungent !

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users