48 replies to this topic

#41 Dino Might

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 08:35 PM

Raven.

MWO's version of it back when lasers had barrels was one of the best looking mechs I've ever seen.

#42 SnagaDance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 01 April 2015 - 12:42 AM

View PostKoniving, on 31 March 2015 - 04:55 PM, said:

Virtually every "M" variant of any mech is most likely a Marik variant. One thing to note is that they almost always have XL engines, double heatsinks, the best of the best (Stalker 5M, Shadowhawk 5M, etc.). This is largely in part to Marik supposedly (I don't know this to be hard fact just what I constantly see) having stayed out of most (if not all) of the Succession Wars.

The Succession Wars also hit the Mariks hard, in addition their government in its basics being based on a coalition of states has them having had their fair share of Civil Wars, the 31st century seeing both the Marik Civil War http://www.sarna.net...he_League_Front and the Andurien Secession http://www.sarna.net...urien_Secession . The 4th Succession War hit the Mariks relatively light though (losing 'only' 9 planets, including Oliver which contained a mech factory), and they stayed mostly out of the War of 3039, still wrapping things up with Andurien. But I guess you could say they had seen the least bit of war in recent times and therefore had been able to capitalize on the technological revival the most.

They wind up supplying the other factions with XL engines and DHS during the Clan invasion.

Marik was actually prepared to give Steiner and Davion the finger in this but Hanse Davion pulled his 'Would you like your little son to live?' move. http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Joshua_Marik (yes, Hanse realised it was an extremely dickish move)

I don't know anything about the FRR other than somehow Kurita and Steiner both allowed them to declare independence and...somehow both supported this?? Makes little to no sense, and so few years (little over a decade) before the Clans invade. They seem like a plot convenience for the Clans to completely wipe out some sort of 'power'. Space vikings wiped out by superior alien yet human invaders!

Actually, during th 4th Succession War (where Liao was the primary target) Steiner kept Kurita busy by attacking their border. To appear like they were solely the good guys in this Steiner declared that it was only trying to free the planets of the Rasalhague Principality (a realm conquered by Kurita in the 24th century but where the people were still opposed to Kuritan cultural dominance) which it would grant their freedom. This was actually seen as an unattainable goal. When the Lyrans managed to capture a surprising 53 planets from the Combine they stated they still couldn't grant the Rasalhagueians (sp?) their independence 'because they hadn't freed all of their former planets'. Not able to recapture those planets any time soon, and realising that the current borders would make the Combine the piñata between the Steiner and Davion bats in the next war, Kurita made a brilliant move, they gave up the few leftover Rasalhague planets so they could form their own state and the Lyrans had no choice but give up all those planets as well (with some additional pressure from ComStar), creating the buffer state the Combine needed so badly at that time. Of course it still led to the Ronin Wars.... http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Ronin_War

Edited by SnagaDance, 01 April 2015 - 12:45 AM.

#43 SethAbercromby

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 01 April 2015 - 09:53 AM

View PostSnagaDance, on 01 April 2015 - 12:42 AM, said:

Not able to recapture those planets any time soon, and realising that the current borders would make the Combine the piñata between the Steiner and Davion bats in the next war, Kurita made a brilliant move, they gave up the few leftover Rasalhague planets so they could form their own state and the Lyrans had no choice but give up all those planets as well (with some additional pressure from ComStar), creating the buffer state the Combine needed so badly at that time.

This and completely stopping Hanse Davion during the war of 3039 with his invasion attemps by launching a counter-attack with Star league-era 'Mechs in a bluff to make the DCMS seems much stronger that it actually was are my two favorite strategic moves used by Theodore kurita. He's the Japanese Space Bismarck of the 31st century :ph34r:

#44 Voivode

• The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 10:02 AM

My personal favorites (iconic from a personal perspective I suppose) were always:

-Raven
-Commando
-Crab
-Hunchback
-Clint
-Mad Dog
-Kit Fox
-Summoner
-Cyclops

#45 Princeps Ibram Cain

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 50 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 08:25 AM

I meet Mechwarrior PC games before Battletech universe so, for a long time the Timber Wolf was the most representative mech to me, atleast in this games. But today, if i heard the words "mechwarrior" or "battletech" i think in the Atlas.

Edited by Ibram Cain, 29 December 2015 - 08:35 AM.

#46 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 29 December 2015 - 08:52 AM

My iconic mechs list, since someone asked:

Warhammer
Rifleman
Archer
Phoenix Hawk
Stinger/Wasp
Locust
Crusader
Shadow Hawk
Griffin
Thunderbolt
Wolverine
Atlas
Catapult

That's about it, in order. Later on, the following come in, but I don't necessarily consider them "ICONIC":

Mad Dog
Timber Wolf
Summoner
Kit Fox
Storm Crow
Nova

My original BattleTech experience was well before the Clan invasion, in 3025-era rules.

Oh, and my beloved Chameleon has to make at least the Honorable Mentions list. Crescent Hawk, yo...

#47 Morggo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC, USA

Posted 29 December 2015 - 03:39 PM

I have a long list of "favorites" but if you are asking "iconic" by reminding me of BT... Mad Cat, Atlas, and Marauder ring the bell for me. I see one of those I think of BT.. or if I think of BT I image one of those.

#48 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 03:45 PM

Necro-thread.

Original poster was in March, last post was April, then suddenly brought up today.

#49 SteelProfiteer

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 04:33 PM

Warhammer, Archer, Marauder, Riflemen. Four of the first.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users