New Trial Mechs Fail New Players.... Again...

BattleMechs

50 replies to this topic

#41 Widowmaker1981

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 24 March 2015 - 06:32 AM

The Banshee trial with 6xLPL is just.. whut?

That IS actually a viable build, but ONLY for an advanced user, and absolutely ONLY to be used on a fully mastered mech. Its waaaay too hot on a Trial that does not even have basic skill unlocks. Make it with 4xLPL + 2xML and either an XL 400 or a STD 350, and set default fire groups of 1= 2xLPL (Left shoulder) 2= 2xLPL (right shoulder) and 3= 2xML (belly). THAT is a noob friendly trial mech, which is decently effective.

#42 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 24 March 2015 - 06:38 AM

View PostWidowmaker1981, on 24 March 2015 - 06:32 AM, said:

The Banshee trial with 6xLPL is just.. whut?

That IS actually a viable build, but ONLY for an advanced user, and absolutely ONLY to be used on a fully mastered mech. Its waaaay too hot on a Trial that does not even have basic skill unlocks. Make it with 4xLPL + 2xML and either an XL 400 or a STD 350, and set default fire groups of 1= 2xLPL (Left shoulder) 2= 2xLPL (right shoulder) and 3= 2xML (belly). THAT is a noob friendly trial mech, which is decently effective.

They could have at least made it a true WubShee, which is effectively easy mode compared to this one.

It can safely alpha multiple times, has 6 high mounted weapons, and makes a satisfying noise when you fire it.

#43 Widowmaker1981

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 06:48 AM

View PostMcgral18, on 24 March 2015 - 06:38 AM, said:

They could have at least made it a true WubShee, which is effectively easy mode compared to this one.

It can safely alpha multiple times, has 6 high mounted weapons, and makes a satisfying noise when you fire it.

I run my 3M with 5xLPL + 2xSL, and i tried swapping to the 3xLPL + 5xMPL. swapped right back after 2 games because it was too hot lol, and i didnt like the range shortage.

My version of your patented 'WubShee' is the BLR-3S 'Wubmaster' with 3xLPL in RT and 3xMPL in LT, much prefer it to the Banshee version tbh, due to more MPL range and ability to run 70+ with a STD or 80 with an XL.

#44 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 24 March 2015 - 06:53 AM

View PostWidowmaker1981, on 24 March 2015 - 06:48 AM, said:

I run my 3M with 5xLPL + 2xSL, and i tried swapping to the 3xLPL + 5xMPL. swapped right back after 2 games because it was too hot lol, and i didnt like the range shortage.

My version of your patented 'WubShee' is the BLR-3S 'Wubmaster' with 3xLPL in RT and 3xMPL in LT, much prefer it to the Banshee version tbh, due to more MPL range and ability to run 70+ with a STD or 80 with an XL.

To each their own. No robot can as easily get 1k damage, and snatch kills away with 58 hitscan damage, in a half second. For me, at least.

2 LPLs 6 MPLs is fairly heat efficient, at 45% heat for 58 damage. The Non-Endo version with 7 MPLs LPL (in Sig, pre quirks) had a 40% heat alpha for 53 damage, with 2 additional heatsinks.

Those are the robots I take for when I just want to shoot things. There should be an easy laservomit on the trial lineup, which isn't affected by ghost heat, and can also fire multiple times (to ease them into heat management).

Edited by Mcgral18, 24 March 2015 - 07:06 AM.

#45 Kmieciu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 24 March 2015 - 06:55 AM

You guys know that you can fire 3xLPL without ghost heat? And that it has enough heat capacity to deliver 66 damage within 1.2 seconds? Trial Banshee can core all the others trial mechs without overheating...
Imagine a new player in a Banshee against another new player in a trial Mist Lynx (10 points of leg armor, SSRM4 (100 ammo), LRM10 (180 ammo), 2xMG (1000 ammo)).

Edited by Kmieciu, 24 March 2015 - 06:57 AM.

#46 Widowmaker1981

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 07:00 AM

View PostMcgral18, on 24 March 2015 - 06:53 AM, said:

To each their own. No robot can as easily get 1k damage, and snatch kills away with 58 hitscan damage, in a half second.

2 LPLs 6 MPLs is fairly heat efficient, at 45% heat for 58 damage. The Non-Endo version with 7 MPLs LPL (in Sig, pre quirks) had a 40% heat alpha for 53 damage, with 2 additional heatsinks.

Those are the robots I take for when I just want to shoot things. There should be an easy laservomit on the trial lineup, which isn't affected by ghost heat, and can also fire multiple times (to ease them into heat management).

To each their own indeed, and im certainly not saying its a bad build(and i do agree on reflection that trials should ideally be free of ghost heat)

But as long as you dont alpha the 5xLPL its 55 hitscan dmg for 35 heat, compared to 63 for 41 heat, which is pretty comparable but the range is a lot lower. Different strokes for different folks i guess ;)

#47 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 09:23 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 24 March 2015 - 04:48 AM, said:

So a player starting in the game should have What? Seriously You are talking about giving advanced gear to people who cannot find their feet yet. I have played a lot of games in my time, and yes there is little room for forgiveness Cause there is no progression in teh game cause we are not playing a RPG game.

Agreed.

What does WoT give the "new" players to try out? Assault class Tanks with full gear and crews?

People make it sound like MWO is doing it on purpose.

Why would any new player drive anything BUT Trial Mechs if they were even reasonably competitive? A Trial Mech is to give the new player a "Test Drive", not a full fledged CW capable combat vehicle ffs.

Edited by Almond Brown, 24 March 2015 - 09:25 AM.

#48 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 24 March 2015 - 09:34 AM

View Postmogs01gt, on 24 March 2015 - 05:14 AM, said:

The builds should be efficient. They dont need "meta" builds or perfect but they need to be playable. The Banshee as an example, you dont need 6 LPLs. Switch it to 4, had a ML in the head and dump heatsinks in it. The mech already sucks since it has to show its entire torso to fire, at least now the new person can use it bit more before getting wrekt.

The game needs to be enjoyable for new players, not an up hill struggle.

LOL. The best place to start is the beginning. Stock is the beginning. Then as you play and learn you will decide what you want on YOUR Mech. I don't think they should be efficient to start, People are lazy enough as is. They don't even want to think for themselves anymore! Everything is a formula Everything has to conform or its no good. In SWTOR I was told if I wanted to be a damage dealing wrecking ball I should not be a Tank!

Sorry? What do tanks to? They absorb a lot of damage and wreck stuff! Please note they also WRECK stuff, not just stand there and absorb damage!

#49 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 24 March 2015 - 09:38 AM

Well if the purpose of Trial Mechs is to teach newcomers, they'd best have 2 weapon systems at most. Never 3+. Just make sure the newb has few choices so they don't get confused so 2 weapon types, 2 weapon groups, end deal.

Edit:

Ok, yeah I just looked at that Banshee Trial and... um... it's bad. Definitely bad.

Edited by Elizander, 24 March 2015 - 09:47 AM.

#50 mogs01gt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 24 March 2015 - 09:40 AM

View PostKmieciu, on 24 March 2015 - 06:55 AM, said:

You guys know that you can fire 3xLPL without ghost heat? And that it has enough heat capacity to deliver 66 damage within 1.2 seconds? Trial Banshee can core all the others trial mechs without overheating...
Imagine a new player in a Banshee against another new player in a trial Mist Lynx (10 points of leg armor, SSRM4 (100 ammo), LRM10 (180 ammo), 2xMG (1000 ammo)).

You expect a new player to understand ghost heat and have the patients to not get cored when they have to display that mechs entire torso to fire said lasers?

Why compare this game to WoT. They probably have the player base to give new players crap, MWO doesnt have that luxury.

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 24 March 2015 - 09:34 AM, said:

LOL. The best place to start is the beginning. Stock is the beginning. Then as you play and learn you will decide what you want on YOUR Mech. I don't think they should be efficient to start, People are lazy enough as is. They don't even want to think for themselves anymore! Everything is a formula Everything has to conform or its no good. In SWTOR I was told if I wanted to be a damage dealing wrecking ball I should not be a Tank!

Sorry? What do tanks to? They absorb a lot of damage and wreck stuff! Please note they also WRECK stuff, not just stand there and absorb damage!

I know its hard for you to pull you head out of your ass and stop being a fan boy but you need to take a step back and realized that giving new players **** is why the population of this game is tiny compared to most popular F2P games.

The best place to start is not at the beginning.

Edited by mogs01gt, 24 March 2015 - 09:54 AM.

#51 Sorbic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 09:56 AM

View Postmogs01gt, on 24 March 2015 - 05:14 AM, said:

The builds should be efficient. They dont need "meta" builds or perfect but they need to be playable.

The game needs to be enjoyable for new players, not an up hill struggle.

This. I know some of you like the easy kill that trial mechs offer up and not all builds are terrible but many are. I mean explain to me how plopping 2 LRM 20's on the MD makes any sense when that mech could only fire 9 full salvos. Just a few little tweaks (like 2 LRM 15's+HS+ammo) here and there would be good enough for many mechs. The really bad builds sap the fun for nooblets, sets a terrible example for builds and makes PGI look foolish to new players.

I know some of you advocate removing ghost heat on trials but that doesn't teach them how the game actually works.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users