19 replies to this topic

#1 cSand

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 27 March 2015 - 09:20 PM

This mech is great. Praise the GHR

XL friendly, big firepower, and jump jets

Edited by cSand, 27 March 2015 - 09:21 PM.

#2 Corbenik

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fallen
  • The Fallen
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 09:25 PM

I still haven't been able to make it work for me xD but yeah I saw u wreck some mechs in your's.

#3 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 27 March 2015 - 09:35 PM

:wub:

#4 Wild Hamster

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 90 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 11:24 PM

Definitely one of the best heavies .. ive seen plenty of GHRs wreck face since their launch. Able to carry firepower + fast + durable.. dare i say its an even better choice than a tbr

#5 Sparks Murphey

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 27 March 2015 - 11:31 PM

It's a little large, I'll admit, but other than that it's a great machine. I just feel a little self-conscious towering over Dire Wolves.

#6 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 28 March 2015 - 12:53 AM

I am still working on balance and function with mine. That said, the GHR has been a surprise. So far the panther is a better performer imho but I dont have any GHRs elited. Once their basics are done, they definitely start to shine.

Although you do have to worry about "glass cannon syndrome" if you don't use its speed and JJ to twist and hop damage, it is a more than tolerable trade. I know some pilots who scream in rage over them because they are not tanky if you don't twist. The GHR is all about not being where the punch is going to land, or at least rolling with the punch to mitigate damage.

As for its own punch, it can be devastating. I have seen loadouts as good as any stalker or battlemaster with the speed of an orion (which is good if you use a big enough engine). I still think that they need their weapon quirks massaged a little and maybe a JJ quirk too? Please? But really, other than that its a great mech in the making. Very very viable as a TBR replacement or even stalker level firepower on a heavy wave.

What started out as possibly a huge disappointment is now showing to be a real dark horse champion. Scoffers beware of the Hoppers

I should mention being able to fire 2 PPCs over the head of a cataphract without worry is hilarious.

#7 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 28 March 2015 - 12:56 AM

View PostSparks Murphey, on 27 March 2015 - 11:31 PM, said:

It's a little large, I'll admit, but other than that it's a great machine. I just feel a little self-conscious towering over Dire Wolves.

You don't have to. The Dire Wolf IS small:

Posted Image

#8 Roadbuster

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,437 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 28 March 2015 - 01:18 AM

View PostKjudoon, on 28 March 2015 - 12:53 AM, said:

The GHR is all about not being where the punch is going to land, or at least rolling with the punch to mitigate damage.

Tried rolling...Gauss rounds didn't care. :unsure:

Seriously, it's not a bad mech. The high hardpoints are nice, although I've yet to find a good loadout I like.
It's still not agile enough for me to run a XL engine though.

#9 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 28 March 2015 - 01:38 AM

True enough you can't roll FLPPD. Gotta use cover better and be less brave.

#10 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 28 March 2015 - 02:44 AM

Right now I am using the Hopper like a Warhammer. 2 PPC 2 Medium and an SRM4(IIRC). No Jump. I wanna get another 300XL Then I'll give it back its jump. ^_^

I'm really not the jumper type.

#11 N a p e s

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 28 March 2015 - 05:41 AM

Basically hated it until yesterday. Just felt like it started to click and now I'm looking forward to getting these things elited

#12 Jackofallpots

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 219 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 07:08 AM

Mastered two of the variants so far and I really really hate Caustic in these things

#13 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,122 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 07:13 AM

There's one good thing about the Grasshoppers. I can shoot over lights and other small mechs most of the time. Boating the right amount of lasers gives me the firepower of the dreaded Stormcrow! I only needed 15 more tons to do.

#14 RoboPatton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 794 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 08:33 AM

It's okay... imo. It has a lot of stuff that makes it almost good enough for me to main. If it had a couple more quirks thrown in, I'd probably use it full time. In the mean time I get a way higher damage-per-ton from my Enforcers, especially the 5p.

--edit 4 spelling--

Edited by RoboPatton, 28 March 2015 - 08:34 AM.

#15 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 10:52 AM

The 5H & the 5N have potential, and are overall decent mechs.

If we wanted to get down to the nitty gritty, neither of them are outstanding (neither T1 nor T2).

Your options are:

1) Comparatively fragile, shorter ranged standard laser boat vs. a Clan version.
2) Middling firepower STD engine laser boat
3) Very High Firepower, but very short ranged XL Pulse laser brawler.

#3 so far has been the best option for me because the firepower at least is very deadly when you can bring all of it in range, but you are very much at the whim of the situation if most of your firepower is locked up in MPLs.

I've mostly ended up running mixed LPL + MLAS builds because they play nicer weight wise and are closer in optimal ranges than MPLs + LPLs and I've found almost every version of LLAS load out to be underwhelming in firepower.

Edited by Ultimatum X, 28 March 2015 - 10:53 AM.

#16 XX Sulla XX

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 12:30 PM

They are all OK not great but OK. But would not take much in the way of quirks to make them teir 1.

#17 Apnu

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,083 posts
  • LocationMidWest

Posted 28 March 2015 - 12:36 PM

View PostcSand, on 27 March 2015 - 09:20 PM, said:

Hell yeah it is.

View PostUltimatum X, on 28 March 2015 - 10:52 AM, said:

The 5H & the 5N have potential, and are overall decent mechs.

If we wanted to get down to the nitty gritty, neither of them are outstanding (neither T1 nor T2).

Your options are:

1) Comparatively fragile, shorter ranged standard laser boat vs. a Clan version.
2) Middling firepower STD engine laser boat
3) Very High Firepower, but very short ranged XL Pulse laser brawler.

#3 so far has been the best option for me because the firepower at least is very deadly when you can bring all of it in range, but you are very much at the whim of the situation if most of your firepower is locked up in MPLs.

I've mostly ended up running mixed LPL + MLAS builds because they play nicer weight wise and are closer in optimal ranges than MPLs + LPLs and I've found almost every version of LLAS load out to be underwhelming in firepower.

#3 also allows you to put in a pretty big engine so you can use speed to get in and out of cover for shots or out corner a slower assault.

#18 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 12:38 PM

Too tall and can only laser vomit.

#19 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 28 March 2015 - 12:40 PM

I wasnt impressed with the Grasshopper before it came out, thought the Zues would make a more impressive profile on the field. Totally wrong, The Grasshopper is a sight out there towering above most other mechs, seriously glad it has added character to the field as much as the Zues.

Edited by Johnny Z, 28 March 2015 - 01:04 PM.

#20 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 28 March 2015 - 12:46 PM

View PostcSand, on 27 March 2015 - 09:20 PM, said:

I gotta admit, it hasn't clicked for me yet, but I'm not giving up on it. I'm pretty sure that it's just I have never been a laser vomit guy. That said, I like it, it looks good, it's tough......

Surprise for me is the Zeus. Was the chassis I was least looking forward to, and I freaking love mine.

Overall, the Resistance Pack might be the best one since the Founders, as far as decent mechs for the buck. PNT-10K, ENF-4R, ZEU-6S/9S are all not only keepers, but ones I really enjoy playing. I have faith one of the Hoppers will too, once i devote more time to them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users