Picking First Hero Mech

39 replies to this topic

#1 Periphery Rise

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:03 AM

So, seeing how some Hero Mech prices in this game are acceptable and all mechs are "equal" unlike the tier system in World of Tanks, I thought of getting myself a Hero Mech, for faster Credit earning since everything else in this game is bloody expensive.

I already have three Hunchbacks in my mechbay and I'm working finishing the Basic for the third one now so I can go to Elite and then Master so I can have two module slots unlocked.
Can this be applied to Hero Mechs? Do they have this progression as well? Basic, Elite, Master?

The reason why I am doing this for Hunchbacks is Grid Iron hero mech. It's only 3750 MC, very affordable even for someone unemployed.
I can either buy 1250MC x3 = 21 dollar or 3000MC + 1250MC = 22 dollars.
So, do I go for 3750 or 4250 MC? What could I do with the leftover 500MC?

And the most important question of all... Is the Grid Iron worth it? Is it worth buying a Hero mech? Is there maybe a better mech, more bang for the buck... among the Hero Mechs?

EDIT: Oh and, what are the Champion Mechs? I see some are same as Trial Mechs.

Edited by Periphery Rise, 30 March 2015 - 08:08 AM.

#2 Virgil Greyson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 277 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:07 AM

Yes hero mechs have the same masteries as normal mechs, and can count as one of your three for unlocking efficiency tiers.

With the new quirks the Grid Iron is a very capable gauss platform, I highly recommend it. Then again all I really play are hunchbacks, so I am a bit biased.

Other hero mech I hear people rave about is the Misery, but my knowledge outside of mediums is pretty limited.

Edited by Virgil Greyson, 30 March 2015 - 08:08 AM.

#3 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:11 AM

What's your playstyle? THAT's an important question (I own all the Hero mechs btw).

#4 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:14 AM

View PostPeriphery Rise, on 30 March 2015 - 08:03 AM, said:

So, seeing how some Hero Mech prices in this game are acceptable and all mechs are "equal" unlike the tier system in World of Tanks, I thought of getting myself a Hero Mech, for faster Credit earning since everything else in this game is bloody expensive.

I already have three Hunchbacks in my mechbay and I'm working finishing the Basic for the third one now so I can go to Elite and then Master so I can have two module slots unlocked.
Can this be applied to Hero Mechs? Do they have this progression as well? Basic, Elite, Master?

The reason why I am doing this for Hunchbacks is Grid Iron hero mech. It's only 3750 MC, very affordable even for someone unemployed.
I can either buy 1250MC x3 = 21 dollar or 3000MC + 1250MC = 22 dollars.
So, do I go for 3750 or 4250 MC? What could I do with the leftover 500MC?

And the most important question of all... Is the Grid Iron worth it? Is it worth buying a Hero mech? Is there maybe a better mech, more bang for the buck... among the Hero Mechs?

EDIT: Oh and, what are the Champion Mechs? I see some are same as Trial Mechs.

Well with 300 left over MC, you could buy another mech bay, not a bad thing :)

I do hear good things about the Grid Iron, but having never run Hunchbacks aside from the trial 4P when I was starting I'm not a good authority on them, CDLord runs them into the ground having mastered all of them, GI (Grid Iron) included...

Personally I can't say enough good things about Centurions, and the Len Yo Wang, having bought the Mastery pack for them, I've fallen in love with Centurions.

Champion mechs let you earn extra XP, useful for getting that one variant done, then use that extra xp, (with MC conversion to GXP) to help with leveling the other ones.

EDIT:

As for my favourite Hero's

PIRATES' BANE It's just so irritating to the OPFOR, but Locusts are great teachers of piloting, positioning and situational awareness.

YEN-LO-WANG It's like a Hunchback 4G, just different.

Edited by Metus regem, 30 March 2015 - 08:30 AM.

#5 Corbenik

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fallen
  • The Fallen
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:19 AM

also atm buying MC gets you mechbays or depending how much u buy in one go a clam mech.

#6 Rhaythe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:19 AM

Grid Iron is excellent if you are okay with handling the gauss rifle. It's speed quirks make that thing fire almost as fast as an AC5. Beyond that, it handles a lot like the 4G.

#7 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:20 AM

I dont recommend the Grid Iron because of the gauss firing mechanic. Although it has been hinted at that it may be changed.

Although getting a medium is a smart move because of the quick match times. For a newer player mediums are easy to pilot, probly the best for manageable speeds and turning. I am getting better at this game steadily even now and I started in closed beta..... so newer player is relative. :)

For me I often use my X-5 hero Cicada when in the regular queue. Quick match times. Can effect the outcome of the battle by getting around quickly, capping objectives, lending fire etc.

Edited by Johnny Z, 30 March 2015 - 08:23 AM.

#8 zagibu

• 2,253 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:21 AM

Some hero mechs are good, others are bad. The Grid Iron is pretty solid. Due to the large general ballistic cooldown quirk, you can also use it with AC/20 or other ballistics. Since you already have hunchbacks, it's a safe bet, because you probably already have elite unlocked, and can take it right up to doubled basics. If you take another hero, you have to level 2 other variants before you can do that.

#9 Periphery Rise

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:23 AM

View Postcdlord, on 30 March 2015 - 08:11 AM, said:

What's your playstyle? THAT's an important question (I own all the Hero mechs btw).

As much as I'd like to play agressively, it's not really an option in this game. I often find the lack of range on my Hunchbacks the major problem, and the fact that Grid Iron has a gauss that fires like a mofo seems like a selling point to me.
I am quite new to the game however, 129 rounds played (1 is a draw so it's not shown in the stats), so I might as well still be forming a playstyle.

#10 TheStrider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 574 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:24 AM

Buying a Hero mech on a chassis you enjoy is a good plan - don't buy it for the quirks.

You ask what my favorite Hero is though - Illia Muromets. 3x UAC5 3x ML. Been solid since it came out.

#11 Asrrin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 200 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:26 AM

If you are a patient person I would recommend waiting until a 35% off sale that seems to happen every few months. Can save you quite a bit of money.

If you could scrimp together a few more extra bucks, I would recommend buying a mastery pack, as it gives you a hero, a champion, a normal mech, 3 mech bays, and 30 days of premium time to help you grind, at an almost 50% discount. Of course, you already have the other hunchies, so not so much the hunchback mastery, but the Centurion, Shadowhawk, and soon to be Griffin packs are all very worth it.

#12 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:27 AM

View PostPeriphery Rise, on 30 March 2015 - 08:23 AM, said:

As much as I'd like to play agressively, it's not really an option in this game. I often find the lack of range on my Hunchbacks the major problem, and the fact that Grid Iron has a gauss that fires like a mofo seems like a selling point to me.
I am quite new to the game however, 129 rounds played (1 is a draw so it's not shown in the stats), so I might as well still be forming a playstyle.

My Misery

#13 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:28 AM

It sounds like we might have a winner if you are fond of the gauss and the hunchie. If it helps, here's a Community Warfare match I used with the GI. In case this direct link doesn't work, skip to 18 minutes and 19 seconds:

#14 BreakinStuff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • 104 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:29 AM

View PostVirgil Greyson, on 30 March 2015 - 08:07 AM, said:

Other hero mech I hear people rave about is the Misery, but my knowledge outside of mediums is pretty limited.

I converted misery into a Close range ambush monster. mostly because ghost heat was pissing me off with the LL/PPC variations I'd been using. haven't changed it back to this day.

#15 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,062 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:31 AM

I would wait for sale quite frankly and get either a Yen-Lo Wang hero or a Jenner, Raven or Blackjack bundle.

#16 Funkmaster Rick

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • 184 posts
  • Locationis just an illusion.

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:32 AM

View PostPeriphery Rise, on 30 March 2015 - 08:23 AM, said:

As much as I'd like to play agressively, it's not really an option in this game.

Eh, that's only true in PUB queue when you get a lot of cowards on your team. If you get lucky and drop with some ballers, well-timed and well-planned aggression is a lot of fun, and often highly effective - assuming you've got good positioning the whole time, are using keyholes and other isolation tactics effectively, and have the weaponry to back it all up.

Champion 'mechs get EXP faster. Unless you're planning to constantly sink MC into digging the spare EXP out to use on other 'mechs (which is an insanely expensive prospect), champion 'mechs aren't really worth it. They do not get any real bonuses.

#17 StraferX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 640 posts
  • LocationWest Virginia

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:33 AM

The Grid Iron is a good mech and falls in line with your hunchback choice. Other very great heros would be the CN9-YLW or the GRF- Sparky

I would beg to differ that the medium class is the easiest, I would say they are the most forgiving and survivable class. But to truly master a medium like comp style is IMHO the toughest as there role is not the easiest.

If you are looking to MC purchase mechs I highly recommend looking into the mastery packs as you get the best bang for your bucks. Mech bays, 3 mechs and premium time and often a statue or other shiny bobble.

Good luck and if you ever need help just give a shout.

#18 Periphery Rise

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:36 AM

View PostAsrrin, on 30 March 2015 - 08:26 AM, said:

If you are a patient person I would recommend waiting until a 35% off sale that seems to happen every few months. Can save you quite a bit of money.

If you could scrimp together a few more extra bucks, I would recommend buying a mastery pack, as it gives you a hero, a champion, a normal mech, 3 mech bays, and 30 days of premium time to help you grind, at an almost 50% discount. Of course, you already have the other hunchies, so not so much the hunchback mastery, but the Centurion, Shadowhawk, and soon to be Griffin packs are all very worth it.

How much does that usually cost? Because my budget is limited and more of a scraping. Being unemployed sucks.

#19 Virgil Greyson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 277 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:42 AM

View PostPeriphery Rise, on 30 March 2015 - 08:36 AM, said:

How much does that usually cost? Because my budget is limited and more of a scraping. Being unemployed sucks.

They vary by tonnage of the mech. The Misery mastery pack is 8,785 MC. If you bought the 12,000 MC option that is 49.95. You'd have some left over for mech bays and maybe some GXP conversion to make the grind a little easier.

Honestly the upfront cost is more expensive, but you are really getting big value by going with the mastery packs, assuming you will be able to use the premium time effectively. I would only really go with it if you really want to master a chassis (Hence the Mastery bundle).

I am unsure if mastery packs ever go on sale, maybe someone could answer that. Just remember playing a Misery is a pretty different ballgame from a mobile medium like the hunchback, so I would try tinkering with other trial assaults to get a feel for how that weight class plays before you make the jump, its not for everybody.

Edited by Virgil Greyson, 30 March 2015 - 08:47 AM.

#20 Flyby215

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 889 posts
  • LocationThunder Bay

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:45 AM

I agree with this guy:

View Postcdlord, on 30 March 2015 - 08:11 AM, said:

Choose a Hero mech based on what suits your playstyle, or something you are passionate about (if you're really into Mechwarrior).

I've been a huge fan of the Stalker, Catapult, and Timberwolf since first seeing them in Mechwarrior 2 & MW2: Mercs. The Misery was my first hero mech, and I bought the Jester the moment it came out. Both have been exceptionally successful mechs for me.

What I would also suggest is looking at the Hero mech loadout, and try to outfit a non-hero mech in as close as configuration as possible to what you would put on the Hero mech, just to see how you can handle it. It would kind of suck to spend real money on a mech and find out that it performs very, very poorly or doesn't suit your style.

If you're unsure, sometimes you can wait for a sale. Misery and Jester are two mechs I happily paid full price for since they are my passion-mechs. Others that I have were all bought on sale.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users