Wolverine Guide

11 replies to this topic

#1 Tool Box

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 219 posts
  • LocationDealing with a lance of enemies by myself.

Posted 29 March 2015 - 11:37 AM

I am going to tell you guys how much I love my Wolverines and through this guide I hope you will enjoy this mech as much as I do.
tl;dr@bottom with builds
It has 3 variants that you can choose from (In order of viability) oh yeah biggest thing about this mech TORSO TWIST TO PROTECT THAT RIGHT ARM!

Wolverine 6K:
This mech has the best ability to trade well with almost any other mech in the game excluding the timber wolf, and it can dish out some awesome pewpewz (Mostly because it is the one with the most laser hardpoints) This is a sniper mech and should always be sitting at around 500-600 meters away from your target. Corner peeking is this mechs specialty so remember to abuse the crap out of that and you will do well. The current most well done build that I can find is this one Wovlerine 6K OR you may go with my all time favorite build which isn't as good but wubs oh the wubs ... WUBVERINE :ph34r: remember to protect your right arm.
Posted Image
Effectiveness:(Side note I got most of these games in one day that I had this idea to make a thread about the wolverines.)
Also proof its the good stuff, I wish they weren't' mostly losses but a loss still proves effectiveness AND even more so to be honest because it shows it works under pressure :ph34r: remember to protect your right arm.
Spoiler

Wolverine 6R:
Lets say you would prefer dakka. This mech is meant to brawl and get out that high damage per second rather than a sniper like the 6k (although because its range is 680 meters with modules it can snipe if it wants too). If you can get someone to tank a mech then the Wolverine 6R can absolutely go to TOWN on that persons face. But the best thing about this mech is that you yourself can tank.
Hypothetical situation:
Spoiler
Not nearly as many people play the 6R as the 6K so if you have a better build please tell me, the one that I currently run on this mech is this Wolverine 6R
:ph34r: remember to protect your right arm.
Posted Image
Effectiveness:
More showing of how easy it is to just lay into enemy mechs and rack up that damage while having a literal blast.
:ph34r: remember to protect your right arm.
Spoiler

Wolverine 7K: This mech is the unwanted child. Its a the mech you have to grind to make the others better. It technically brawls better than the 6R but because Srm hit reg is so bad it doesn't brawl better than the 6R. If you want a build for leveling this mech refer to budget wolverine, also here is one that makes you waste a bunch of money to try to make it good Wolverine 7K. Here's a wovlerine build that is a lot less expensive (sell the xl it comes with its worthless and also gives you enough for the standard plus some) Budget Wolverine 7K So yeah have fun grinding this guy out. It is well worth it for the other two godly Wolverines... in my opinion. :) :ph34r: remember to protect your right arm. OH WAIT you don't have to do that with this one... my b still a worse mech bc srm hit reg too bad.
Posted Image
Just an fyi I made the 7k's picture smaller cause I don't particularly like this mech. :ph34r:

TL;DR 6K 6R 7K

Edited by Tool Box, 29 March 2015 - 11:58 AM.

#2 z MadButcher z

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 102 posts
  • LocationButchers Chop Shop

Posted 03 April 2015 - 06:40 AM

The Wolverines were the first mechs I ever bought and I think your guide is spot on for the most part. I run mine as striker mechs because they are fast and hit pretty hard. Because of the XL they don't always last long in a brawl, but if you weaken then enemy by out maneuvering them before you confront them you will have great success. I have had 1k plus matches with every variant and I like them all. I agree the 7K can be a bit hard to find a good niche for it, but it is the most versitile for weapon platforms compared to the other two.

Overall great advise, and I salute you my fellow Wolverine brother o7

#3 eFTy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 296 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 03:58 AM

Outfit the 7K w 2x ML, TAG in the head, 3x LRM10, XL275, JJs and lots of missiles and let fly! This mech got me through a bunch of weekend challenges. Alternatively, try 2x ERLL, TAG, LRM 10, 2x SSRM2, same engine and JJs. Lots of fun and very pesky.

Also, try the 6R with an AC10 and some missiles. Very fun.

#4 Shadey99

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 04:39 AM

The 6R is my favorite Wolverine with it's 2xAC5 build and single medium laser. Though you need the right map to use it on. Terra Therma, the mining colony, river city... All are great maps for that.

The lack of JJs hurts the 6k in my playstyle and it runs so very hot... And I say that having mastered the 5 ML locust and the 6 ML locust.

The 7k is ok, I basically run it as a version of my Griffon 3xMPL, 2xSRM6 build... But it just doesn't seem to do as well.

Edited by Shadey99, 13 April 2015 - 03:50 PM.

#5 Porcorosso101

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 122 posts
  • LocationUK, Berkshire

Posted 13 April 2015 - 03:20 PM

All 3 variants are amazing fun

6R with twin AC/5 and 3 SSRM2s - literally filled to the brim with cannon rounds...and im not so useless against fast mechs as the missile range quirk really helps ;)
6K i think most have gone 3 or 4 LLs - shame it dosnt have JJs
7K, LPL, 2 MPLs and 2 SRM6s - stab at long range for a while, then later pounce and kick them in the teeth!

Edited by Porcorosso101, 13 April 2015 - 03:21 PM.

#6 ShinobiHunter

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 16 April 2015 - 08:43 PM

You crazy bro? Lol, 7K is the best variant in my book. I have 2, one uses 3xSRM6 with Artemis/ 3 Mlas. The other gets switched between LRM's and LPL with SRM's as backup weapons.

All the Wolvies are great fun though. I'm still waiting for a Hero variant, hopefully that can mount an AC20 :D

#7 luxebo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 09:52 PM

Only thing I'm against it in is selling the XL 275. NEVER sell engines, and this one would be helpful with Ravens, etc. Plus until you get an XL 280 it's the next best thing anyways.

#8 King Kuranes

• PipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 54 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 11:31 PM

If you can't get the 7K to be a dominate mech then you really need to practice more. I don't know if I'd say srm hits are wonk as I average 400 to 500 with mine. It really is my favourite wolverine. The dakka build is by far the redheaded stepchild of mechs. The blackjack 1dc does everything that one does but with high mounted weapons so you can poke and survive.

Since the wub nerf I don't much care for the 6k. LL's have too much burn for am easily targeted arm

#9 Nine-Ball

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 616 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 07:36 PM

I just bought a 6R last night and am liking the AC5 quirks. Modules bring the total bonus to 52% cooldown and eventually with the skill it'll be 57%.

I'm tweaking around and might add a token ML as backup, but I'm liking the potential of this build.

WVR-6R

Triple Streaks help with keeping mobile and piling on additional damage. Helps with combating lights as you'd generally not want to waste AC5s without a good shot.

#10 Dino Might

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 07:50 PM

Please try this build on the 7k, and tell me you can't solo a Timby.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...54ec69f2d11683a

The way the missiles are stacked, you get mostly vertical spreads, which means you can put almost all of them on a single component up close, or all of them across the mech from far away. Run the modules and you have clan range on your IS SRMs. They stay tight pretty far out, and I've splatted more than a few Crows, Wolves, and Timbies with some jump deflection shots at 300m.

I loved the 6K when it had the LPL quirks. Now, I play the 7K so much more than any other variant. The Dragon 1N does the AC5 better than the 6R, and the 6K with the large lasers is too bland. This 7K build is tons of fun, and it tanks damage like a FirecrowTM.

Edited by Dino Might, 13 May 2015 - 07:51 PM.

#11 Sahrang

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 04:11 AM

ok so I played my first game with a wolverine today, the 6K, with one of the 2 builds u recommend, and I destroyed 5 enemy mechs with 755 damages dealt.

lel this mech is good

#12 ShinobiHunter

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 16 May 2015 - 03:19 PM

View PostDino Might, on 13 May 2015 - 07:50 PM, said:

Please try this build on the 7k, and tell me you can't solo a Timby.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...54ec69f2d11683a

The way the missiles are stacked, you get mostly vertical spreads, which means you can put almost all of them on a single component up close, or all of them across the mech from far away. Run the modules and you have clan range on your IS SRMs. They stay tight pretty far out, and I've splatted more than a few Crows, Wolves, and Timbies with some jump deflection shots at 300m.

I loved the 6K when it had the LPL quirks. Now, I play the 7K so much more than any other variant. The Dragon 1N does the AC5 better than the 6R, and the 6K with the large lasers is too bland. This 7K build is tons of fun, and it tanks damage like a FirecrowTM.

If you can twist well the fat left arm makes a great shield and it's pretty easy to spread damage across the torsos. I always run a 300+ XL in mine, with 3 mLas and more SRM ammo. The extra speed really helps, IMO.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users