- - - - -

Best Way To Play A Pug Cw Match?

25 replies to this topic

#21 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 31 March 2015 - 12:26 PM

A PUG that runs with the team will do well.

However, when that queue is the "1" marker going up and up, you're in trouble. IMHO, more than 4 is basically "This group is fodder for an organized opponent"- and you don't pick yours. It's whoever is full up in the opposing queue that's an opponent.

Get on the factional Teamspeaks. As noted above, teamwork is OP, even if it's people who are soloers on the same channel.

#22 YCSLiesmith

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 01:27 PM

yeah and like i said, House Kurita teamspeak is a mostly friendly place with cool people who love to have fun and execute clanners. you'll like it.

#23 H00L1GAN

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 79 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Posted 31 March 2015 - 01:44 PM

in answer to your question, look at the numbers. everything runs in groups of 12.

look at the attack and defense planets, call up the info for each planet that has players and see which ones are ok to join (like dont attack an allied territory when there is enemy faction territory available)

then look at the numbers. 48/45 means 3 defenders are needed to launch the next match. if you que this match, you will play soon.

if you see one that says 24/24 or an other even multiple of 12, then to start a match on that planet you will need 23 other people to play on that planet. (or 11 on one side for a turret drop, I haven't seen one in awhile)

the closer the match is to even multiples of 12, the quicker your wait will be.

#24 Prince Peter Davion

• PipPip
  • Private
  • 30 posts
  • LocationPeriphery Throne World

Posted 01 April 2015 - 10:33 PM

As a new player, they are correct, stick with the team.
The next thing is to identify the lance of Assault mechs with your team, or heavies.
Assume they are more experienced then you, follow them, act as their support, stick near them - don't run into them. Guard their flanks, shoot their targets, provide cover fire for them if you see them retreat.
Be that all purpose buddy everyone loves to have on their team!

#25 Tim East

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 01:53 PM

I have to say, I had an overall good PUGing experience over the course of the challenge. The vast majority of teams I dropped with were at least not flagrantly incompetent, and a lot of them worked really well together. I even made a couple of new friends. I had zero matches where I failed to get the requisite 80 match score; in fact my lowest was a 140, with a high of 246. Thank you PGI, for leaving that data up for the moment, by the by.

It isn't really a super-difficult exercise, at least in comparison to running a two-man in the group queue, which is a pretty frickin' punishing experience. Really, all I had to do was say what I was shooting at, or shoot at what someone else was shooting at. It's not like there are a ton of deceptive tactical shenanigans at the moment. On defend, it's kill more of them than they kill of you until you win, and on attack it's either kill them until you have an advantage and attack, or just rush. Mainly just kills, especially given the way match score is calculated and the challenge that was active at the time.

#26 Kyynele

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 973 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 05:39 PM

That was probably the easiest event, ever. Got 20 points out of 20 matches, with average match score of 347. Most matches were around 280, though, few better ones just raised the average to that. It's actually easier to get big scores in solo or small groups, in a big, even group, scores tend to even out more, too.

The top score match (wasn't even the top one in our small unit, I'm sure others have much bigger ones), just for reference:

Posted Image

While the event is now over, the same stuff still works for making loads of monies in CW. And while doing that, doing 2000+ damage in a match seems to increase the odds of your team winning.

What you want is a couple mechs that do ****tons of DPS per heat to boost up your damage numbers. That's it. No rocket science here.

For IS, that is in dakka (like DRG-1N), and for clans, Streaks aren't only good for stopping light rushes. Also, clan SPLs are quite nice. I personally prefer playing "serious" long-mid-range builds in the beginning of the match, and after the first or second wave, switching to the DPS machines to rake in the damages. It's usually easier to do later in the game when things are more chaotic.

I'm currently dropping with 2x HBR (gauss+ML and pure ML) and 2x SCR (SPL and Streak ones). My last IS deck consisted of STK-4N, JM6-DD, DRG-1N and LCT-1E, but honestly I'd drive 4x DRG-1N if I wouldn't mind buying 3 extra chassis despite it obviously going to get nerfed at some point. You get no points for imagination, so if you want to get high scores (and high rewards), just drive whatever's relatively OP at the time and works for you. Forget about LRMs, though.

The main thing to do is lots of damage. Play aggressively, while still sticking to the team. Don't be afraid to take some damage, but try to hurt much harder than they can hurt you. If you take more damage than you deliver, don't peek out from that spot again. If you have range advantage, use it. Use UAVs. Bring Seismic sensor if possible. When you spot a blob of enemy mechs (like via UAV or Seismic), try to get a hit in with a Strike. At the moment the strike hits, also take some cheap shots to your enemies, they're often distracted.

When you're in a bad shape and have severely reduced DPS because of lost weapons/torso/ammo/whatever, don't be afraid to throw away your mech. You can still be useful by being a suicide scout in defence, or just tanking for your team a bit. If you're also legged, just eject. Wasting time sticking to a reduced DPS mech is usually a disservice to you and your team, if you have more mechs to drop with left. You don't get bonus points for not having used all your mechs in a match.

/$0.02

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users