13 replies to this topic

#1 Shadow Magnet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 429 posts
  • LocationLake Constance, Germany

Posted 30 March 2015 - 01:18 PM

I am plagued by horrible hit reg for almost 2 weeks by now, most matches being like 0 kills, 150-250 damage.

On that evening, I dropped in a couple of PUG solo queue matches, with the expected above results.

Then I decided to do a drop in CW (before the event) and suddenly... Hit reg was working incredibly perfect. Lights zooming by at maxmimum speed? No problem, one alpha strike, dead light mech. Storm crows have difficult hit boxes? Not at all!. The weapons absolutely hit perfectly where I aimed at, and did apply full damage.

The result:

Posted Image

Now, I didn't reconnect or changed anything inbetween the pug solo drops and this CW match. The ping and tracert was the same. And I did not even tried very hard to play good in this CW match, it was a "fool around" drop.

So I start to suspect that hit reg actually is not affected at all by your ping or your route to the game servers (as I thought all the time). It seems purely depend on which server from PGI your match is hosted on and how much the overall load is on that cluster.

Meaning that PGI seems to intentionally run MWO on too low resources to save money, keeping it at the bare minimum of being playable.

Call me paranoid, but I got no other explanation... :ph34r:

#2 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 30 March 2015 - 01:23 PM

hitreg is wonkky atm, very match dependend.

how many C-LPL's can a orange Grasshopers CT eat facing your frontally? answer: 6 and and still running.

GG hitreg.

there were for me soem matches where mechs ate 3x the firepower they should have. how many CT hp has a TDR? dunno ran around with orange armor afetr eating 3 clear alphas non moving. so 150 armor at last,.

Other matches then were just fine.
I really wonder if this is a bit luck dependend on which of the slices or wherever mwo runs onto. gett he wrong core or such and boom hitreg gone. Play on the other core, hitreg = fine. It's like having no real pattern.

#3 JaxRiot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 666 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 01:42 PM

Ive been plagued with hit problems since I started. Ive always thought it was a latency problem or my rig. But maybe its this Hit Reg thing.

The other day I was in my Battlemaster- 6MPLs and 1LPL, and alphad a Kitfox as it was standing still, straight to the face.. barely scratched it. The Kitfox turned to run away, and I got off a second alpha dead center of its back, and it ran off whithout hardly taking any damage. Two Alphas, one to the front and one to the back and not a single red hit box with all of its limbs intact.

I can go 4 or 5 maps in the same mech wondering why Im not doing any damage, then suddenly Im blowing limbs off left and right and getting 4 kills and 800 damage in a single match with the exact same mech.

Could it just be me? Or is it the servers Hit Reg thing?

#4 Xetelian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 01:50 PM

I've said it before but I've recently put 6 AC 20 rounds into the back of an AFK stormcrow and I have 50 ping average.

#5 JaxRiot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 666 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 02:07 PM

View PostLily from animove, on 30 March 2015 - 01:23 PM, said:

hitreg is wonkky atm, very match dependend.

how many C-LPL's can a orange Grasshopers CT eat facing your frontally? answer: 6 and and still running.

GG hitreg.

there were for me soem matches where mechs ate 3x the firepower they should have. how many CT hp has a TDR? dunno ran around with orange armor afetr eating 3 clear alphas non moving. so 150 armor at last,.

Other matches then were just fine.
I really wonder if this is a bit luck dependend on which of the slices or wherever mwo runs onto. gett he wrong core or such and boom hitreg gone. Play on the other core, hitreg = fine. It's like having no real pattern.

Is it fixable? Or maybe a work around?

#6 crustydog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 30 March 2015 - 02:14 PM

View PostShadow Magnet, on 30 March 2015 - 01:18 PM, said:

Meaning that PGI seems to intentionally run MWO on too low resources to save money, keeping it at the bare minimum of being playable.

Call me paranoid, but I got no other explanation... :ph34r:

I have no evidence that suggests this is an intentional thing - but I also get a similar take when it comes to the hit reg situation.

One thing I do know, having worked extensively with computers, for decades, is no two machines are the same - and no matter how well built or maintained, computers suffer from accuracy issues when it comes to handling and storing data. It is also true that systems tend to develop patterns to how they mishandle the data, and frequent cold booting of these systems tends to minimize these effects.

So the problem could be in the code, the wires, the machines, the environment - isolating the issues can be very difficult.

Of course, PGI could also be shirking on the resources to save money:)

#7 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 12:26 AM

View PostJaxRiot, on 30 March 2015 - 02:07 PM, said:

Is it fixable? Or maybe a work around?

that was a guess what may cause hitreg issues, because hitreg seems to be matchwise, either its totally screwed, a bit screwed not not screwed at all.

But currently I have not experienced something like: beginng of a match it was bad, at the end it was good. So even with many dead emchs or such and then less pew pew happening did influenced it. it seems for a specific match be constan over the entire mech.

The only pattern indeed seems to be: hotreg is cosntant during a match, no matter if it started horrible, good or somewhere inbetween. This makes me think serverload has not much to do with it. Core related? connection related? Maybe,

#8 crustydog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 31 March 2015 - 02:54 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 31 March 2015 - 12:26 AM, said:

that was a guess what may cause hitreg issues, because hitreg seems to be matchwise, either its totally screwed, a bit screwed not not screwed at all.

The only pattern indeed seems to be: hotreg is cosntant during a match, no matter if it started horrible, good or somewhere inbetween.

I'll watch for this also - it seems a correct observation to me as well, but I haven't specifically been watching for this -

#9 Shadow Magnet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 429 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 04:00 AM

I also never observed so far that the quality of the hit reg changes during a match - it remains on the same level.

I find it pretty suspicious that PGI basically never comments on hit reg. It should be a major issue for them to fix as it does massively influence the game quality and the fun of the players.

#10 Kotzi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 04:13 AM

They are fixing it by changing the weaponmechanics. This leads to more imbalance and not resolving the main problem. Like curing a broken leg with a band aid.

#11 Shadow Magnet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 429 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 07:32 AM

I doubt that changing weapon mechanics or balance has any effect on hit reg - unless it does dramatically reduces the rate of fire in general.

#12 JaxRiot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 666 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 07:34 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 31 March 2015 - 12:26 AM, said:

But currently I have not experienced something like: beginng of a match it was bad, at the end it was good. So even with many dead emchs or such and then less pew pew happening did influenced it. it seems for a specific match be constan over the entire mech.

The only pattern indeed seems to be: hotreg is cosntant during a match, no matter if it started horrible, good or somewhere inbetween. This makes me think serverload has not much to do with it. Core related? connection related? Maybe,

Connection related was my initial thought when I first noticed it. But my Ping is pretty much a constant 100 although Im not sure how much influence its having on the Hit Reg. My Ping is steady but my Hit Reg seems to be all over the place and acts differently each map.

Where are the servers located anyway?

#13 SethAbercromby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 31 March 2015 - 07:41 AM

View PostShadow Magnet, on 31 March 2015 - 07:32 AM, said:

I doubt that changing weapon mechanics or balance has any effect on hit reg - unless it does dramatically reduces the rate of fire in general.

Actually missile hitreg improved greaty when they moved away from splash damage to impact damage. But yeah, when there's a lot of weapons fire going on, hitreg suffers because of how the cryengine handles things (prime reason why you shouldn't fire more than 3 SRM6s at the same time, or you will have a lot of them not do damage as their collision is queued and possibly dropped when hitting that upper limit). There is unfortunatly a hard upper limit to very certain things that often can't just easily be shifted upwards.

Edited by SethAbercromby, 31 March 2015 - 07:43 AM.

#14 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 07:44 AM

View PostJaxRiot, on 31 March 2015 - 07:34 AM, said:

Connection related was my initial thought when I first noticed it. But my Ping is pretty much a constant 100 although Im not sure how much influence its having on the Hit Reg. My Ping is steady but my Hit Reg seems to be all over the place and acts differently each map.

Where are the servers located anyway?

No idea, but connection is not equal to connection.

what if the other machine/slice/instance your match runs has a different port after data get distributed by any kind of laodbalancer, what if on that port, for some reason 20% packets get lost. May be, may not, IT is sometimes just strange.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users