3 replies to this topic

#1 Kalimaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 01 April 2015 - 09:54 AM

I know that the engines for the clan mechs are locked in. No prob. I would like to see that if we wanted to do so, we could remove the extra Heat Sinks or Jump Jets from Clan Mechs if we wanted. So could the makers of this game please enable us to remove said extra items if we desire to do so.....Please.

#2 Nightmare1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 01 April 2015 - 11:40 AM

That would be nice. People griefed about the Clans being OP though, so they got nerfed by having components locked. It really reduces the number of viable builds on them which is sad.

#3 Night Thastus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 825 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 11:54 AM

I hate to say this, but Clan mechs have locked heatsinks/weapons (aka flamer on adder)/structure/armor is actually cannon.
I'm serious.

Look on Sarna.

"Despite their benefits in flexibility and maintenance, OmniMechs have distinct limitations in regard to cost and logistics. OmniMechs are not fully modular. An OmniMech's structural components (its engine, internal structure, armor and any equipment installed on the base chassis of OmniMech) are "hard-wired" and cannot be modified outside of a total redesign of the 'Mech. While customization of these components is theoretically possible in the field, it is avoided as it hard-wires all the 'Mechs components and effectively transforms the OmniMech into a standard BattleMech. While they can be considered structural components, the lower-arm and hand actuators are themselves Pod-mounted and easily removed to provide additional Pod Space in the arms. However, the mounting points for them in the arms are also utilized by larger bore weaponry such as Gauss Rifles, Autocannons, and PPCs, so the lower-arm and hand must be removed to carry these weapon types on OmniMech arms, hampering the close-combat abilities of these configurations.

With further regard to costs, even OmniMechs constructed from standard materials are more expensive than comparable BattleMechs of similar weight to both construct and field. While the initial invasion gave the impression that Clan toumans consisted solely of OmniMechs, even they can only afford to outfit their front-line units with them, with their so-called second-line forces generally fielding more cost effective standard BattleMechs, albeit utilizing superior Clan technology or old Star League designs.
The modular attachment points to mount OmniMech weaponry and equipment (equipment constructed in an OmniMech Pod) renders such equipment incompatible with standard BattleMechs. Even for identical classes and brands of equipment, only the ammunition can be used interchangeably. Adding or removing the Pod connections is possible but adds additional time to repairs. If weaponry and equipment are mounted on an OmniMech without an OmniPod, this equipment is fixed. For mixed units of BattleMechs and OmniMechs this adds an artificial separation and duplication in supply chains and logistics for spare parts."

Believe me, I wish it wasn't true, but MWO is actually following the lore closer than any other game except table top. That hurts, but it's the truth.

HOWEVER.

I personally believe some 'mechs should be excempt from this. As much as I would love to be a TT purist, let's face it, some clan 'mechs are useless:
Clan lights are too slow to be as competitive as they could be.
Summoner has 5 hardpointed jump-jets (1 ton each) and no endo-steel. Everything you can do on it you can do better on a timber. There is literally no reason to buy it.
Warhawk has a completely useless side torso due to being filled with heatsinks.
Gargoyle is a joke.

I'm not saying ALL clan mechs should be able to change these components. If they could, the DW W/4x Guass might actually be decent. The Timberwolf would be hella more scary.

However, some poor mechs should get this bonus. Kinda like how the IS has "tiers" of mechs, with the weakest ones getting the most quirks.

Edited by Night Thastus, 01 April 2015 - 11:56 AM.

#4 Wabbit Swaya

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 186 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the cockpit of a BJ, annoying the hell outta someone for wasting a medium slot.

Posted 01 April 2015 - 02:26 PM

Plus, Vat Brats already QQ that their mechs run too hot. Soooooo, they're locked for your own protection

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users