#21 Postumus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 399 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 06 April 2015 - 02:17 PM

View Postzagibu, on 06 April 2015 - 02:32 AM, said:

The problem with this change is, while it would improve single ACs on mechs, it would also massively buff the mechs who boat them. Imagine a 4xAC/5 Jager or Cataphract. It would get a 40 pinpoint frontloaded alpha. The 3xAC/10 Cata would get a 60 pinpoint frontloaded alpha. Way too OP.

Anything that increases frontloaded damage is bad anyway, IMO.

BTW: OPs suggestion nicely highlights one of the main challenges of PGI. Their hardpoint system means they can't buff single weapons without also buffing the mechs who massively boat them.They tried to fix this with ghost heat, but we can see in this thread that it doesn't work here.

Yeah, you nailed it, the problem would be with boated ACs. On the other hand, you wouldn't be getting free shots - if the AC fires two shots, you have to pay with twice the heat.

What if you tied in the extra shots with ghost heat however? Treating a 4xAC/5 Burst fire alpha not as 4 AC/5s firing at the same time, but 8? Also, in all likelihood, firing modes would be programmed in game as different weapons, so it would probably not be difficult to have different heat scales for burst fired and single shot AC modes. That might finally be a change that would give more benefit to single/low number AC users versus boats.

Edited by Postumus, 06 April 2015 - 02:18 PM.

#22 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 06 April 2015 - 02:22 PM

View PostRazorbeastFXK3, on 06 April 2015 - 02:13 PM, said:

You're missing the point entirely it seems. The OP is asking if it would be possible for the Innersphere Autocannon to have a toggle feature between single fire and burst fire.

Thank you for that info about the original mechanic of autocannons though as I've never played the TT version and never really followed the lore behind mechwarrior outside of reading the storyline provided while playing Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries. Your first reply to my comment made it appear that I was saying the burst fire autocannons didn't exist in mwomercs. That's why I replied to your comment about the detail in my original message over what the OP was getting at and included the video.

Your "highlight"ing on the available burst fire mechanic of the clan autocannon was lacking detail though.

I do remember someone else asking about the ability to switch from burst to slug and from slug to burst with the autocannons whichever suited the pilot's personal preference in the field but I don't remember what came of it or if it just got filed away and buried.

Instead of having the option to drop with burst fire autocannons or single shot autocannons, I believe it would add more flavor to the game if the autocannons were all switched over to burst fire just to make things more interesting with the gameplay.

The main problem with how the game is coded is, it seems that a burst mechanic means the weapon becomes DoT (damage over time), rather than burst damage (single shell). By having a damage over time mechanic, it means that a mech can twist to spreed the damage across the mech, as is seen against Clan ballistics, leaving them in a very lackluster position when not able to be used in large numbers. I understand why they are asking for it, and it would be a nice visual thing, but I think the way that MWO is coded, the visual effect has to match the mechanics of the game, meaning that burst mode on IS Ac's would hurt, and leave them in a lower state than the Clan AC's.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users