I Personally Want The Light/medium/heavy/assault System To Be Replaced By 40/60/80/100 Tonnage Based System.

Balance BattleMechs Metagame

31 replies to this topic

#21 RussianWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 06 April 2015 - 08:57 AM

all this would do is shift the low end of the weight class. Then you'll complain about BJs not doing well compared to the Dragons.

I have damn near every mech in the game. I can tell you, unless you are talking the competitive scene, there really are no duds.

People give stock Novas a bad rap. I have a screenshot of a Stock Nova S with over 1000 damage, 3 kills 7 assists and did almost twice what my nearest ally did. And I'm not an elite player. So they can't be all that bad.

#22 Rebas Kradd

• 2,969 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 09:00 AM

Throwing Cicadas and Awesomes into different classes won't make a dent in the queue imbalance. You're talking about two little-used chassis anyway. Lights are generally harder to pilot and don't offer enough incentive, while many mediums are the perfect storm of slow, fragile, too big, undergunned, and underhardpointed. They're just tricky classes to pilot, in addition to the remaining balance issues.

Edited by Rebas Kradd, 06 April 2015 - 09:01 AM.

#23 0bsidion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 09:04 AM

I think the BV system might be better all the way around. Tonnage is a shallow metric for gauging the power of a mech because not all 100 tonners are created equal. Just because it weighs 100 tons doesn't automatically mean it's an effective build, and the same could be said of any number of mechs of other tonnages.

You could bring a Banshee with 8 small pulse lasers and a 400 engine and almost max armor. It's a terrible build, but with a weight system, it says it's fair match for any other 95 tonner. It isn't. It isn't even a match for any other assault or anything else, but it is a valid loadout. So lets say some joker wants to drop with that on your team, which system would you rather have, a BV system that takes into account that silly loadout and frees up points for mechs that are built better, or one that looks at the tons and calls it good?

#24 kapusta11

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 09:04 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 06 April 2015 - 06:20 AM, said:

I know it might be hard for some people to get used to, or agree with, but for me it makes more sense.

Get used to what? PGI won't even read this thread.

#25 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 06 April 2015 - 09:08 AM

View Postkapusta11, on 06 April 2015 - 09:04 AM, said:

Get used to what? PGI won't even read this thread.

Hint: I am not posting this for PGI's eyes..

#26 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 06 April 2015 - 09:14 AM

Yeah, I had this idea a long time ago in a galaxy far away.

I'd be down for trying it out.

#27 Agent 0 Fortune

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 01:17 PM

Current:
20-35 (4 weight classes) 43 unique variants
40-55 (4 weight classes) 63 unique variants
60-75 (4 weight classes) 50 unique variants
80-00 (5 weight classes) 55 unique variants

El Bandito:
20-40 (5 weight classes) 48 unique variants
45-60 (4 weight classes) 71 unique variants
65-80 (4 weight classes) 54 unique variants
85-00 (4 weight classes) 38 unique variants

Moving the Cicada down to the light wegiht class - I don't see this have much of an impact. Maybe dropping the 45 tons mechs down as well.
Move 60 ton mechs ot medium bracket - seems reasonable, they have been twerked hard to fit into the heavy bracket.
Move 80 to Heavy - again, seems reasonable, I think the 65 tons hold their own well, and the 80 ton mechs are under replresented in their current weight class.

Proposal:
20-45 (6 weight classes) 61 unique variants
50-60 (3 weight classes) 58 unique variants
65-80 (4 weight classes) 54 unique variants
85-00 (4 weight classes) 38 unique variants

Of coure all this does is promote "weight creep", and it doesn't address any of the issues that cause people to play fewer light and medium mechs, it just sort of sweeps the whole Role-Warfare issue under the rug.

#28 Darlith

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 348 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 01:53 PM

Interesting idea, though it would have to come with requirking, since a lot of mechs will now be compared against other mechs then their old tiering. This means some previous tier 4 and 5 mechs wouldn't be so crappy in their new groups. On the other hand some higher tier mechs might be weaker than before even when compared with a new higher weight cap for their group.

#29 Agent 0 Fortune

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 10:13 PM

View PostDarlith, on 06 April 2015 - 01:53 PM, said:

Interesting idea, though it would have to come with requirking, since a lot of mechs will now be compared against other mechs then their old tiering. This means some previous tier 4 and 5 mechs wouldn't be so crappy in their new groups. On the other hand some higher tier mechs might be weaker than before even when compared with a new higher weight cap for their group.

I thought about that, and I sincerely hope PGI isn't doing weight-class biased quirks. When you force, I mean guarantee 3 of each weight class, how can you discriminate towards a particular class. On the other hand it does explain some of the Dragon and Thunderbolt twerks.

#30 Darlith

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 348 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 11:33 PM

View PostAgent 0 Fortune, on 06 April 2015 - 10:13 PM, said:

I thought about that, and I sincerely hope PGI isn't doing weight-class biased quirks. When you force, I mean guarantee 3 of each weight class, how can you discriminate towards a particular class. On the other hand it does explain some of the Dragon and Thunderbolt twerks.

I'm not sure they did, but since their intial tiering system was set up by weight class I assumed (and we all know what assuming does) that they considered say a dragon a tier 5 mech compared to other heavy mechs and not say all mechs. Maybe they were looking at the grand total of mechs though so nothing need change.

#31 Ace Selin

• 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 06 April 2015 - 11:56 PM

So OP wants more assaults in the game by making 80tonners into a heavy.

These suggestions will simply mean more heavier mechs enter the game and more power creep and a decrease in TTK.

NO.

Edited by Ace Selin, 07 April 2015 - 12:06 AM.

#32 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,477 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 07 April 2015 - 12:37 AM

Replacing one arbitrary set of thresholds with another isn't going to solve the tonnage margin issues, it would just move them.

I like how it is in CW where tonnage in itself actually matters, and I think the public queues should get some kind of granular tonnage system instead of the weight classes.

I'm not sure how to do it though, and I'd much rather keep the current system over a new set of weight classes.

One way to encourage use of the lower tonnage mechs in each weight class might be some kind of cbill bonus, say 2% per 5 tons. So playing a quickdraw instead of a Timberwolf, or a locust instead of a Firestarter, would net you 6% more cbills.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users