65 replies to this topic

#61 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 02 October 2015 - 04:45 PM

Been pulling this trick off for some tine now. Agreed that mixed weapons and mixed range platforms do have their place in a match.

Only thing I'd say is, sometimes it's best to "let them see you" and take a couple of chance shots on you. Sometimes, reminding the enemy that, "yes, there is a light mech with range behind you" can be a great way to pull several enemy mechs off the front line. But, you also need to know when you need to hide and seriously reconsider relocating/regrouping with the team. You can always separate away again if needed...

I can easily preform these tactics in my Arctic Cheetah (should be no surprise there), but also in 90-107 KPH Panthers as well.

It's not what your mech has, it's how you use it that counts!

#62 Spleenslitta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 02 October 2015 - 10:19 PM

Indeed Tesunie. I do regroup with my team whenever it's convinient but that's only on smaller maps such as Canyon Network.
I sometimes just rejoin my team while traveling to the other flank.
Alpine just has too much distance and open terrain between hills...there i'm allways on my own with no possibility for reinforcements.

I'll probably do better once the Cheetah comes out for C-bills. No MG's and less close range firepower than my KFX but it will work out.

#63 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 07:43 AM

View PostSpleenslitta, on 02 October 2015 - 10:19 PM, said:

Indeed Tesunie. I do regroup with my team whenever it's convinient but that's only on smaller maps such as Canyon Network.
I sometimes just rejoin my team while traveling to the other flank.
Alpine just has too much distance and open terrain between hills...there i'm allways on my own with no possibility for reinforcements.

I'll probably do better once the Cheetah comes out for C-bills. No MG's and less close range firepower than my KFX but it will work out.

I have three Cheetah (go figure) configurations. 2 CERLLs. CERLL and 3 CERMLs. or 1 TAG, 3 CERSL and 2 CLRM5s.

If you really wished, though I found the range of the CERML are very helpful, one could do a CERLL with 4 CERSLs for a bit higher closer range punch on one variant. Maybe even with an added MG as well...

The Cheetah really likes this combat style. It's got high shoulder mounts for the pocking action moments, and it's still fast with ECM for everything else required. (Not saying other mechs can't do it though.) Lots of different ways to play the Cheetah, which I think is a very good, and fun, thing.

#64 Requiemking

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 02 August 2016 - 09:15 AM

In my opinion, there is only one mech that can pull off the "ERPPC only" build, that is, the Mist Lynx. Now, most people would probably wonder why, but there is a very good reason. The Mist Lynx, by virtue of it's locked equipment, has very little room for anything else. As such, they are very good with the ERPPC only builds. Now, they don't have any quirks for ERPPCs, but they make it work by virtue of how they need to be played. This is the build I use.

MLX-C

Note that it has ECM. This is mandatory if you want to have a chance at not getting Streaked to death. Now, you could just as easily use Radar derp, but the extra time bought by ECM's ability to slow lock speed can mean life or death if a Streakboat notices you. You also should make use of your JJs. Mist Lynx had the best jump of any Clan mech in game until the Viper arrived, so make use of it.

Edited by Requiemking, 02 August 2016 - 09:36 AM.

#65 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 09:30 AM

View PostRequiemking, on 02 August 2016 - 09:15 AM, said:

Note that it has ECM. This is mandatory if you want to have a chance at not getting Streaked to death. Now, you could just as easily use Radar derp, but the extra time bought by ECM's ability to slow lock speed can mean life or death if a Streakboat notices you. You also should make use of your JJs. Mist Lynx had the best ump of any Clan mech in game until the Viper arrived, so make use of it.

If you come across a streak boat, more than likely (if they have any semblance of a good SSRM build) they have AP on themselves, which would cancel ECM at most SSRM ranges.

However, that isn't saying that ECM isn't validated in your design, as it still comes in handy to hide yourself at ranges, which with a CERPPC you should probably be maintaining good ranges anyway. This makes it harder to spot, track and follow you, meaning it's harder for a Streak boat to be able to track and find you to kill you, among other benefits.

#66 Old-dirty B

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 01:39 PM

@OP

I just stumbled upon this thread and was surprised to see my way of play captured in words, great write-up!

My weapon of choice with this play style is the Locust LCT-3M with an ERPPC it allows me to control my distance to any mech on the field and the erppc can reach out across most of the maps.

The only thing which out of my control and that severely affects the effectiveness of this playstyle is the General playstyle of both teams. If one teams is a lot more aggressive then the other I either have hardly any contribution to a victory OR find myself last man standing versus 5-6 enemy mechs.
If both teams are equal, either in a clash in a big brawl OR when both teams hang back, hide and poke this method works out great!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users