#141 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 08 April 2015 - 06:41 AM

View PostFupDup, on 08 April 2015 - 06:37 AM, said:

Loophole: Keep the computer turned on 24/7 so you don't have to log off, no spacebucks lost. :D

Also, with allowing multiple matches to accumulate in one play session, that means more playtime in one day = higher chance of winning due to expensive mechs > cheaper mechs.

If money was to used as a "balancing" mechanic at all, it would have to be reset to the default value every match, with no carryover from previous matches. Imagine, for example, playing Starcraft where the winner got to start with all of their minerals and vespene from the previous round...

Well, anyone who's played CounterStrike knows that there's a maximum amount of cash you can accumulate. And it's not quite enough to buy all the best equipment, I think. Which means that even if you die with the max amount of cash in the bank, you still won't have enough money to buy full body armour and the best weapons in the next match. Which, translated to MWO, would mean that no matter how much cash you had, you still wouldn't be able to instantly buy back the Dire Wolf if you lost it.

There would need to be some changes for MWO though, obviosuly. Since CounterStrike has 2 sorts of equipment you can buy - armour and weapons. So you can keep the armour and buy a new weapon. But in MWO stock mode, there would only be one sort of equipment you can buy. Mechs.

But yeah. If the maximum amount of stored cash is 20 million C-bills (or something like that), the problem is solved.

EDIT: In CS you have different servers, so you lose all your cash if you move from one server to another. The only way to accumulate cash is to keep playing on the same server. Each server has a population limit like 12 guys on both teams. In MWO, you would need a similar solution, even if we're all playing on the same servers. So you would need a "Stock mode instance" or equivalent, where you keep playing with the same people match after match. As people disconnect, slots open for new people to join. So... basically like CS, because it works. And it's easier for matchmaker to adjust the teams when the same people are playing each other over and over, by moving one or two players from one team to the other after each match.

Edited by Alistair Winter, 08 April 2015 - 06:46 AM.

#142 Jaeger Gonzo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 07:48 AM

View PostKaeb Odellas, on 08 April 2015 - 06:38 AM, said:

If PGI ever implements a stock mode, it needs to ignore your mech's loadout (except camo, cockpit, and maybe modules) and replace it in-game with the stock version, so I don't have to keep doubles of each mech I want to pilot in both stock and non-stock modes.

That is obvious.

#143 Kh0rn

• Shredder
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 08:00 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 08 April 2015 - 06:33 AM, said:

Never played it. But if that's what MWLL is like, I'm not surprised at all.

Because 1) The MWLL guys seem to have made a number of good decisions, as far as I can tell, and really showed what people with a good sense of game design can do with a limited budget and 2) It would just be another thing MWLL did right that PGI decided not to replicate for MWO.

Just one of the many things MWLL did right but yes even after the larger assets are deployed that the smaller assets do make a come back as in the game mode terrain control they are now needed too move out and security new territory or too perform recon and hit and fade so once the big guys arrive light assets are still viable.

#144 patataman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sho-sa
  • Sho-sa
  • 464 posts
  • LocationA Vindicator cockpit near you

Posted 08 April 2015 - 08:28 AM

Stock mode: Yes, please. Good ideas in this thread.

Why so much hate for this mode? It's a softer start for new players, with less dual gauss, less laser vomit, and in general higher TTK = more time to learn to play in each match. A new player could be focused on learning the maps, positioning, how to protect friendlies, flanking, etc, without the pressure to build a meta valid build, and without the chance to run a subpar one. I guess it will require a lot more heat management skills, but that is not a bad thing.

Some mechs/variants would be better and others worst, like what we have now?

Plus the ammount of coding required looks low. Mechs and maps, check, they need to create a new queue (the code should be copy + paste), apply (or better said, unapply) the quircks/exp tree, and i think that's all the big stuff, right? The only problem i can see is spliting the population. Hopefully the steam release should help at that.

#145 Jaeger Gonzo

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 10:47 AM

CW split population any problems with that? Do search time really that longer since CW?
Stock mode can bring more players to this game, I would risk saying that thanks to this, search time could be just same or even shorter.
And that is just plain h8 of blind dumb trolls, that don`t have any clue what they try to talk about.

Edited by Jaeger Gonzo, 08 April 2015 - 10:49 AM.

#146 patataman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sho-sa
  • Sho-sa
  • 464 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 12:19 PM

View PostJaeger Gonzo, on 08 April 2015 - 10:47 AM, said:

CW split population any problems with that? Do search time really that longer since CW?

I'm fine waiting for cw matches, so i'd never complain about solo/group queue wait times lol, but i'm sure some people will if they have to wait 20 seconds instead of 10.

#147 Jack Corban

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 560 posts
  • LocationPort Arthur

Posted 08 April 2015 - 01:40 PM

People will allways complain about everything. If history has tought me anything then it is that

#148 Jaeger Gonzo

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 03:12 PM

View Postpatataman, on 08 April 2015 - 12:19 PM, said:

I'm fine waiting for cw matches, so i'd never complain about solo/group queue wait times lol, but i'm sure some people will if they have to wait 20 seconds instead of 10.

CW game finding is something other. If someone don`t want you to give game, you will not get it.
Was speaking about influence of CW on public MM search time.

#149 Orbit Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 499 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 04:04 PM

It's like the same thread every five months. Bless you SMM guys for continuing the fight.

View PostDavidHurricane, on 07 April 2015 - 09:31 AM, said:

I raised a new question a while ago that has yet to be answered satisfactorily:

Why should PGI devote resources to stock mode?

At this point I imagine it's a business/marketing/event/resources/something decision. I've been told putting a checkbox in private lobbies to select the stock version is pretty trivial. Sure, some coding would need to be done, they just haven't applied resources (afaik) to do it. It's already been shown internally to be doable. Probably some decisions about tech level selection, some thinking and whatever.

To answer your question Hurricane: to sell more premium time...to expand their player base...to satisfy the people that aren't playing, because they want to play stock only. I suppose everyone who wants stock mech action should start, and keep on Russ' tail about it, on twitter. Make the pitch.

#150 patataman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sho-sa
  • Sho-sa
  • 464 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:29 AM

View PostJaeger Gonzo, on 08 April 2015 - 03:12 PM, said:

CW game finding is something other. If someone don`t want you to give game, you will not get it.
Was speaking about influence of CW on public MM search time.

Yes, i undestood you. I used cw as an example for refering to the average time it tooks to find a match, in cw it's very variable, sometimes almost instant, or in the worst cases it's up to 10 minutes, while in the group/solo queues the average wait time is much shorter, 1? 2? minutes perhaps. What i meant is that waiting a little more doesn't bother me if i get better games in return.

#151 Jaeger Gonzo

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 09:27 AM

To be honest, for a stock game I can wait as long as needed. Considering right now I`m waiting one or two WEEKS, possible time impact is nothing.

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users