ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 11 April 2015 - 10:28 AM

View PostQuxudica, on 11 April 2015 - 03:40 AM, said:

Yeah it's badly worded, but I think what he was trying to say is what I said last page: Streaks are supposed to "miss" just like any other weapon if you don't aim properly, it's just that if you "miss" it doesn't let you fire them. It's supposed to be an ammunition conservation mechanic, but the way they implemented it it's not, it's guaranteed damage every trigger pull without needing to aim.

Gotta get that lock. Deny them a lock, SSRMs are paperweights.

#142 Mirumoto Izanami

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 10:32 AM

View PostQuxudica, on 11 April 2015 - 12:27 AM, said:

Eh? Lore? Streaks in MWO do not adhere to lore. at all. A streak is supposed to be the same as a standard SRM, you are still supposed to have to aim it - lead the target and everything else involved. The only difference for the standard streak missile, is if you would miss - you are prevented from firing. Some streaks have limited tracking, but they are supposed to be twice the size (thus 50% less ammo per ton) and I think they only track with NARC.. or is it standard streaks that have limited tracking with NARC..

either way. The lackluster lock on mechanics in MWO have nothing to do with lore.

Er..nope. You are wrong. Very very very wrong. I lack the words to adequately describe how wrong you are.

http://www.sarna.net...issile_Launcher

Streaks operate in MWO EXACTLY like BT TT, save for the ability of missiles in MWO to miss due to terrain.

Edited by Mirumoto Izanami, 11 April 2015 - 10:34 AM.

#143 Starwulfe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 163 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 11:40 AM

The lights that die quickly are the ones that see you, freak out and torso twist or turn and run away.
Streaks will go through that nice soft back armor quickly.
I've one shot lights that do that, but generally it still requires a second shot for the kill.
A light that dukes it out or as he runs torso's into the volley will survive 3-4 volleys.
Part of that is because....

As for the RNG that people like to bring up...I don't think its a true RNG.
Have you actually ever watched streaks over time?
At best it's a pseudo RNG with heavy weighting to force an even distribution.
Excluding bugs that have occurred, streaks over time evenly distribute themselves (which you would expect from a true RNG), but you never see the outliers where a shot will focus one spot, or X number of shots/volleys favoring one side.
The missile when fired separately sort of 'rotate' through the locations.
The more you fire at once, the more even the distribution. Fire 6 at once and it's always a nice spread. you never see a concentration on one location. (once again barring past bugs)
Unless the target does something to force them to impact on the same location, you almost always evenly take the mech down.

#144 Telmasa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 01:46 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 11 April 2015 - 10:28 AM, said:

Gotta get that lock. Deny them a lock, SSRMs are paperweights.

Take BAP and tag in the head, you will always have locks.

Streaks just don't need 360m range - 270m is what makes sense - and the penalty for firing a full volley of 3-5 launchers should be higher than it is now.

Streaks would still be deadly to lights, but neither would streakboats be able to just instagib an unwitting light pilot who was spotted by some paytowin UAV from around the corner.

In other words, you know - better balance.

#145 Roadkill

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 01:54 PM

View PostTelmasa, on 11 April 2015 - 01:46 PM, said:

Also Artemis (speeds up locks, even for streaks). Or did that fix that bug?

#146 Mirumoto Izanami

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 02:08 PM

View PostRoadkill, on 11 April 2015 - 01:54 PM, said:

Also Artemis (speeds up locks, even for streaks). Or did that fix that bug?

Pretty sure they fixed it. I could be wrong about that, but my ol streak griffin doesn't acquire like it used to.

#147 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 02:13 PM

View PostTelmasa, on 11 April 2015 - 01:46 PM, said:

Streaks just don't need 360m range - 270m is what makes sense - and the penalty for firing a full volley of 3-5 launchers should be higher than it is now.

Streaks would still be deadly to lights, but neither would streakboats be able to just instagib an unwitting light pilot who was spotted by some paytowin UAV from around the corner.

In other words, you know - better balance.

Um...UAVs aren't p2w, anyone can pack em for cbills. So kind of a weak argument. And seriously, with the spread all over the mech RNG mechanic (appropriate) and huge cooldowns on any racks larger than 2, they are pretty stupendously limited.

But whatever, still got people claiming LRMs are OP, too.

#148 Evan20k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tyrant
  • The Tyrant
  • 491 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 02:16 PM

Spotting UAVs is one of the easiest skills to learn and your winrate will spike huge in PUGlandia when you do because of how much it helps your team.

#149 Dirus Nigh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 02:44 PM

View PostMirumoto Izanami, on 11 April 2015 - 03:22 AM, said:

Sweet mother of Methuselah, the idiocy is strong with this post. In your haste to try and prove someone wrong on the internet, you proved yourself wrong IN YOUR OWN POST.

**** you too.

#150 CrushLibs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 546 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 02:55 PM

Come on now , streaks are practically worthless SRMs if you can aim are much better.

Streaks spread damage ALOT , I watched a TW with yellow internals on CT , L&R torso and the Streak crow shot him twice with no damage to those areas. The TW nuked his butt and won the game.

Against lights sure it works well but against anything else its worthless. I run one drop deck with 3 MD and 1 SC all with SRMs because streaks suck so badly.

#151 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 02:59 PM

View PostDirus Nigh, on 11 April 2015 - 02:44 PM, said:

**** you too.

while I don't agree with the approach, his point is valid.

As you yourself said, if the streaks DO fire, they all hit, all the time. Now, they also don't all hit one location. But if one does not achieve a target lock, in TT streaks don't fire (though I do believe they added dumbfire rules somewhere, eventually).

In MWO, if one does not achieve a lock, your streaks don't fire. But You are also not guaranteed hits, as good lights frequently use cover to brush them off, and other factors. Missile accuracy has would be 100% on your stats page, otherwise.

So, in all fairness, they do function essentially the same in TT or MWO.

#152 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 03:05 PM

View PostCrushLibs, on 11 April 2015 - 02:55 PM, said:

Come on now , streaks are practically worthless SRMs if you can aim are much better.

Streaks spread damage ALOT , I watched a TW with yellow internals on CT , L&R torso and the Streak crow shot him twice with no damage to those areas. The TW nuked his butt and won the game.

Against lights sure it works well but against anything else its worthless. I run one drop deck with 3 MD and 1 SC all with SRMs because streaks suck so badly.

Even against Lights, it only really matters against those with poor situational awareness or who get ambushed....and even then, I have seen plenty of Lights eat 3+ SSRM volleys off a streak crow without going down.

The only people I can reasonably understand having a major issue are those Light Pilots so used to lag shield protecting them from crap all, that they rely on that for defense, and take stupid risks. And honestly, that's their own fault. I run a blasted Urbie.... I go 91 kph. Even have been ambushed by StreakCrows whose numbers have increased since last patch (for some odd reason, hmmmmm). Haven't died to one yet (though I did have a rude surprise from one on Forest Colony....almost as rude as the dual ac20 King Crab I lured him into while running away, lol), but have killed several. I have run the StreakCrow to see if it was worth it..... only about 1 shot in 10 actually clustered well enough to severely damage or cripple a Light, and I don't think I had any instakills. You run into a pack of them, and such, yeah, it might get ugly. Run into a pack of anything, that can aim, and hitreg allowing, you are in a world of hurt.

Overrated, low skill build, which, much like LRMBoats, only tend to be effective on low skill, alrready damaged or just outta luck pilots.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 11 April 2015 - 03:07 PM.

#153 Yokaiko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 03:06 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 11 April 2015 - 03:05 PM, said:

Overrated, low skill build, which, much like LRMBoats, only tend to be effective on low skill, alrready damaged or just outta luck pilots.

Amazing money makers though, they crap damage and damage = money. Period.

#154 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 03:09 PM

View PostYokaiko, on 11 April 2015 - 03:06 PM, said:

Amazing money makers though, they crap damage and damage = money. Period.

True, same inefficient way LRMboats do, just with more face time. One thing that always seems to limit my damage scores...I go for the kill, not the high dmg. Not the best way to make money, sadly (shame they can't track "kill efficiency" apparently). But tends to help the team actually win more than splatting unfocused high damage around like Jackson Pollack, which I think averages things out as high damage losses I think I make less than medium damage wins, on average.

Could be wrong though.

#155 Impossible Wasabi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • 462 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 03:10 PM

Nah, the Space Pope would agree, the downside of mechs like LRM boats and Streak boats is that frequently even high damage doesn't mean a "kill" or rather that an enemy that is out of the fight.

Not to say you can't contribute with such builds, but the Space Pope would rather have someone on his team that does 300 damage with a direct fire mech and takes 3 enemy mechs out of the fight, than one that does 600 damage without making sure said enemies are down (after all, a mech can be mauled but still present a huge threat).

Edited by The True Space Pope, 11 April 2015 - 03:13 PM.

#156 Yokaiko

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 06:54 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 11 April 2015 - 03:09 PM, said:

True, same inefficient way LRMboats do, just with more face time.

Got to disagree there, odds are if I'm launching something is going to eat 60 points of damage. You need to hit with 75 tubes of LRM to match that, and that really only happens against derps.

#157 Gyrok

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 13 April 2015 - 05:03 AM

View PostYokaiko, on 11 April 2015 - 06:54 PM, said:

Got to disagree there, odds are if I'm launching something is going to eat 60 points of damage. You need to hit with 75 tubes of LRM to match that, and that really only happens against derps.

I would disagree...I have run the 6xLRM5 MDD and put up 1100-1200 damage and lots of kills. The LRM5s group tightly and continually barrage the enemy.

#158 Kuritaclan

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,838 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 April 2015 - 05:15 AM

Even against Lights, it only really matters against those with poor situational awareness or who get ambushed....and even then, I have seen plenty of Lights eat 3+ SSRM volleys off a streak crow without going down.

The only people I can reasonably understand having a major issue are those Light Pilots so used to lag shield protecting them from crap all, that they rely on that for defense, and take stupid risks. And honestly, that's their own fault. I run a blasted Urbie.... I go 91 kph. Even have been ambushed by StreakCrows whose numbers have increased since last patch (for some odd reason, hmmmmm). Haven't died to one yet (though I did have a rude surprise from one on Forest Colony....almost as rude as the dual ac20 King Crab I lured him into while running away, lol), but have killed several. I have run the StreakCrow to see if it was worth it..... only about 1 shot in 10 actually clustered well enough to severely damage or cripple a Light, and I don't think I had any instakills. You run into a pack of them, and such, yeah, it might get ugly. Run into a pack of anything, that can aim, and hitreg allowing, you are in a world of hurt.

To add on to this. The majority of light pilots who get blast away by ssrms, are those who don't know how ssrms are work actually in mwo. I will not say what you have to do, since you have to figure it out urself.

But i give all a hint who claim ssrms are godlike - go eqiup them on a streakcrow, jump into forest colony training ground, walk up to the Blackjack - face him frontal and then put out all your volleys. Then quit this try and go in again run up again and stay 90 degree to his face e.g. a side and do the same you did before. If you see the results, you know what to do as a light running away from a streak-equipd mech beside using cover to break lock and brush them off.

Nothing more to say on this topic

#159 Telmasa

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 07:41 AM

I've got an issue with it.

I can be standing in the back of my team trying to grind an Urbie, and some streakcrow can come bounding up undetected, pop up a couple 100m away, run through my ENTIRE team and still live, and - despite me using cover and maneuvering and whatever - still kill me with less than 3 alphas.

Yeah, totally not gamebreaking....

#160 Mirumoto Izanami

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 07:55 AM

View PostTelmasa, on 13 April 2015 - 07:41 AM, said:

I've got an issue with it.

I can be standing in the back of my team trying to grind an Urbie, and some streakcrow can come bounding up undetected, pop up a couple 100m away, run through my ENTIRE team and still live, and - despite me using cover and maneuvering and whatever - still kill me with less than 3 alphas.

Yeah, totally not gamebreaking....

Against 'slow' lights, I can do this in a Centurion - AH, and in two alphas. I know you're being sarcastic, but the irony is you are actually correct: it isn't game breaking. That Stormcrow has effectively sacrificed himself to kill an Urban mech.
And if your team doesn't kill it, then your team has issues (ie, more serious threats to contend with, or lack of ability/cohesion).

17 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 17 guests, 0 anonymous users