(-)Convergence Idea To Lesson The Pin-Point-Alpha Problem!(With Pictures!)

69 replies to this topic

Poll: Convergence Idea To Solve The Pin-Point-Alpha Problem! (41 member(s) have cast votes)

Would this Type of Convergence be something you would Support?

1. Yes, it could really tone down Pin-Point High-Alphas, or make them Less Effective! (22 votes [78.57%])

Percentage of vote: 78.57%

2. No, i dont think it will change much with Pin-Point, (6 votes [21.43%])

Percentage of vote: 21.43%

Would you also like to see Implemented the Extra Idea?

1. Yes, that could also help with immersion and the Feel of MWO! (25 votes [80.65%])

Percentage of vote: 80.65%

2. No, it may be more troublesome than it needs to be, (6 votes [19.35%])

Percentage of vote: 19.35%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Shae Starfyre

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,429 posts
  • LocationThe Fringe

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:06 AM

I am on the get-rid-of-arm-lock band wagon.

#62 Helaton

• PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationStar Captain, Star Wolves

Posted 05 May 2015 - 12:33 PM

I think we just need to take a look at the way Torso mounted weapons converge. Angle of convergence on the torso should be very small as a balancing. Perhaps less than 5% variance in angle they can attack.

Arms (with actuators) should converge reasonable well on a target as long as it is within X degrees based on the arm.

Mech size is a very big variable as small mechs with tight/closer hardpoints will have a tighter convergence.

Let's use a medium laser as example. Blue areas before the blue line show prime full damage convergence area.
Spoiler

So I think by giving tighter torso and arm actuator, convergence could be less of an issue. People who want convergence flexibility should focus most weapons in the arms.

#63 Nightmare1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 05 May 2015 - 01:24 PM

This remains a minor issue in the grand scheme of things. It also remains a muddled one. Convergence based on movement kills Lights. Convergence based on size kills wide Mechs. Convergence based on long distance kills mid to long-range builds. Convergence based on close proximity kills short range builds. Convergence based on heat kills energy builds. Convergence based on the number of weapons equipped kills Assaults. Convergence based on the number of weapons fired kills Alphas. With as many and diverse a number of Mechs and fighting styles as there are in MWO, there is no way to develop a reasonably balanced convergence that will not break the game.

Of course, the end result of all convergence ideas is a spike in lock-on weaponry. In short, once convergence is introduced, we will see the use of LRMs and Streaks rise again in dramatic fashion. Personally speaking, I prefer pinpoint to LRM and CSSRM spam and fully unbalanced gameplay.

#64 Helaton

• PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationStar Captain, Star Wolves

Posted 05 May 2015 - 03:45 PM

Wide mechs are penalized at very close ranges, but isn't that how it should be since mode wide mechs keep their power weapons in the wider extremities?

I'm seeing that convergence on wide mechs would be an issue at 120/150m and less. Which for some wide mechs would be more beneficial to move to medium-range with their loadouts, instead of less than 360 brawler range, leaving tighter hard point configurations for close in brawlers. (Like an Atlas CT, RT, RA convergence), while has missiles in the LT. Asymmetric loadouts like the Atlas probably favor it. A Crab being symmetric and wide might prefer to up the range to 360-540.

Its just a difference of opinion but hopefully we won't be stuck in the current state we have been even if it means we end up with a short stint in LRMs or Streaks.

#65 DailyFrankPeter

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 10:59 AM

If the problem is High Pinpoint Alphas, then there already is a solution in the form of ghost heat. This could just be a matter of tweaking.

Otherwise we may go as absurd as saying: what about team target-firing a component, huh? OP! How do we fix this?

Convergence to me is mostly a way of adding depth to the game.

#66 Hotthedd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 3,213 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 08 November 2015 - 06:39 AM

View PostDailyFrankPeter, on 07 November 2015 - 10:59 AM, said:

If the problem is High Pinpoint Alphas, then there already is a solution in the form of ghost heat. This could just be a matter of tweaking.

Otherwise we may go as absurd as saying: what about team target-firing a component, huh? OP! How do we fix this?

Convergence to me is mostly a way of adding depth to the game.

Yet we have ghost heat AND high damage pinpoint precise alpha strikes still exist, hmmm.

Teams focusing a target has not been called a problem, however having maps/modes/objectives that disincentivize the death ball would be a good idea.

#67 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 01:20 PM

View PostHotthedd, on 08 November 2015 - 06:39 AM, said:

Yet we have ghost heat AND high damage pinpoint precise alpha strikes still exist, hmmm.

Teams focusing a target has not been called a problem, however having maps/modes/objectives that disincentivize the death ball would be a good idea.

its not about a Full Team Focusing being a Problem,
its having Single Shot Mechs, that can Run Full Speed & Shoot,
Hitting one Spot of a Mech wail Moving Full Speed 81Kph,

#68 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 09 February 2016 - 01:40 PM

View PostAndi Nagasia, on 09 February 2016 - 01:20 PM, said:

Except that it is about team-firing, because most teams aren't moving at 81 kph while shooting. They are standing still in a firing line (firing from rest), or moving slowly (~40 - 50 kph) with their Assault Mechs during a push.

Two things wrong with convergence mechanics in general:

1) It breaks the game's hit-reg even worse (One of the reasons why it was removed and why I hope it's never reintroduced).

2) It doesn't do a lot to extend TTK since you still have an overwhelming amount of firepowering being concentrated on you. Even if half the shots miss, enough are still going to hit you that you'll die without any noticeable change in TTK. If a Mech has a 100 HP (Armor and Structure for simplicity) and there's 300 points of incoming damage, it doesn't matter if 200 points miss; the aggregate is still enough to insta-kill it. That's focus firing for you.

Now, one thing that would work better, I think, would be to maintain our current insta-convergence, but only enable it if you are locked onto that Mech. That would allow for the introduction of InfoTech as well as reduce the amount of incoming team fire since Mechs will lock-onto you at varying speeds. If you aren't locked, and don't have convergence, then your weapons fire straight forward if they are torso mounted, or at the reticule if they are arm mounted. It shouldn't affect hit-reg either.

#69 N F X

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The All Seeing
  • The All Seeing
  • 691 posts
  • Location48°52.6′S 123°23.6′W

Posted 10 February 2016 - 02:31 AM

nice idea, but then lights would be completly useless Posted Image

#70 Hotthedd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 3,213 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 10 February 2016 - 05:59 AM

View PostAndi Nagasia, on 09 February 2016 - 01:20 PM, said:

Yeah, that is what I was saying. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

View PostN F X, on 10 February 2016 - 02:31 AM, said:

nice idea, but then lights would be completly useless Posted Image

How does making it harder for a 35 ton 'mech to place outrageously high alphas from boating SPLs on to a single pixel make them "useless"?
Perhaps lights are not really meant to be able to do that, and have other roles?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users