#141 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 14 April 2015 - 06:19 AM

View PostJaberwocky, on 13 April 2015 - 03:57 PM, said:

Heheh, You mean to say that we could have worked for 1-3 hours and made way more money for MC than we earned in the many, many hours of Urbiegeddan? Your logic is sound ser! I'm pretty sure Piranha wouldn't mind a bit either :) If only my job was as enjoyable as 30 tons of ***** and spite running around!

pff its a challange its cool to just have a challange and participate for it even without prices. I woudl like to have constant "your best 10 matches of the past 7 days" leaderboards. Because couldn't play during urbie event and won't be ble to play until maybe sunday.

#142 Freebrewer Bmore

• PipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 64 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD, USA

Posted 14 April 2015 - 01:53 PM

I hope PGI uses this event as an opportunity to sift an interesting, relatively tightly controlled data set.

I consider myself realistically only average at best in my unit, so even after narrowing the MWO population to just the Urbie owners who had spare time this weekend, I'm completely prepared to believe there are easily 19/13/35 mechwarriors better than me. However, considering the restriction to a 30-ton platform with limited engine and many fewer than 8 energy hardpoints (coughcougheffingeffstartercoughcough), and considering how well a number of my matches seemed to go, the very top scores are pretty surprising*. PGI might put a little time into figuring out how exactly they did that; can they determine what contributions maps, patterns of movement, loadouts, variations in aiming precision, etc., made to the results? They could learn something useful regarding exploits, reward structure, or map and/or mech balancing (unsurprising that the variants scored in proportion to their energy hardpoints; coughcougheffingeffstartercoughcough).

* - Given that 10 survived wins, each with 12 assists and 900 damage, still only nets you a total score of 2000, a score of 3000 is kinda mind-boggling. I suppose it must be riding on solo kills, which begs the question: should the score formula really put such a high value on riding particular enemy mechs down for single-handed kills? Isn't that sorta the opposite of the kind of fire coordination that helps your team win?

usually high dps builds use an XL-engine so I personally would give more points for surviving the match to help out the standard engine lovers and make dps builds' life little harder.

Yeah, even if half your matches lead to pathetic scores after quickly losing a side torso, only the best ones get counted. So you need to maximize your peak scores to stay on top of the leaderboard, and that means XL is pretty much a must.

Rather than more rewards for survival, though, I'd like to see rewards for damage taken, and for total time spent targeted by or maybe just in sight of the enemy... because survival may be less valuable to your team than risking death by soaking damage or occupying the enemy's attention.

#143 Freebrewer Bmore

• PipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 64 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD, USA

Posted 14 April 2015 - 02:00 PM

Oh yeah, and to those who've been fretting about group queue inclusion in this kind of event: I recommend you try playing some more in groups and then reconsider whether you really think that poses any problem.

When groups are working well, when they move and shoot in coordinated fashion, they have relatively even damage and kill spreads. The teamwork is what is really doing the damage rather than the piloting. To do well in an event like this you need to not just win but EXCEL in each match, and there's less opportunity for that when your team is just rolling opponents (or getting rolled because of inferior teamwork). How're you gonna get solo kills when your whole team is focusing fire on the same mech you are?

On the other hand, yeah, your team could of course collude somehow to try to set you up for big scores. But, you know, if you can convince a whole bunch of other people to spend hours of their time just on giving YOU a somewhat better chance to win that totally massive $50 or whatever in total cash-equivalent prizes so you can, I suppose, retire in luxury to a beach house in the Caribbean, to which you will of course invite them for MWO LAN parties?... well, maybe you deserve some kind of award anyway, for your sheer persuasive power.

I never for a moment considered playing with groups to be a realistic way to get competitive scores for this event. I went solo and prayed to the ELO gods.

#144 Kali Rinpoche

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 639 posts
  • LocationCrossing, Draconis March

Posted 14 April 2015 - 09:03 PM

View PostTaffer, on 13 April 2015 - 03:27 PM, said:

I got my current mouse about a month ago, it's the Mionix Avior 7000, it has a dpi switch. I've been going up 1600dpi (push a button) for desktop use. When I play fps like mwo I press the button which drops it to 400dpi. This is the default behavior; I actually forgot about tweaking it until I read your post. I meant to try 800dpi for game and 2000 for desktop. never got around to it. I think my mouse sens in MWO settings is half or more.

Thanks Taffer. I'm running a Mionix NAOS 7000. Love the mouse so much I bought a spare. I lowered the 3rd setting to 450 dpi and it has made a huge difference. Definitely the 2nd most comfortable mouse I have ever used behind the Rat 7.

Edited by Kali Rinpoche, 14 April 2015 - 09:04 PM.

#145 Surn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,073 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 15 April 2015 - 10:36 AM

I finished 23rd, and really am amazed at some of the top scores. I have some major room for improvement.

#146 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 15 April 2015 - 10:39 AM

I saw one guy get, no kidding, 7 kills and over 800 damage. Meanwhile (same game), I was pretty proud of my 300 damage and 2 kills. Still funny that the tiny (un-Elited, in my case) Urbie accounted for 3/4ths of the kills on our team.

#147 Jaberwocky

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 28 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 April 2015 - 04:23 PM

I learned something new today! I put a word in my last post that I thought exclusively meant "courage or spirit" .. apparently it is also an impolite British slang for something I had not expected in the least! Apologies lol

Edited by Jaberwocky, 15 April 2015 - 04:23 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users