#41 Nightshade24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 13 April 2015 - 11:05 PM

View PostInspectorG, on 13 April 2015 - 09:14 PM, said:

Humanoid hitboxes, JJ, ECM, 4E-2M or 6-7E, about as fast as a FS, Ferro + Endo...Clan Lazors and lighter SRM.

Hot? Sure. If you dont take advantage of Clan range and cant juggle heat.

Unlike IS lights...it can lose a ST and live.

Only thing i see ruining it are if the Hitboxes/scale are coded by a crackhead. Otherwise, it will be THE light to run.
And if its scale is smaller than the FS...whoa boy. Tears will flow even moar.

Humanoid hitbox? I heard nothing good about those. People complain about huge CT's, being bad at XL engines, and easy to hit.

I always heard non humanoid Hitboxes are much better (raven, stormcrow, timberwolf, stalker, etc)

JJ? it has 6 for a 30 tonner, Spider does a lot more. Firestarter can't jump as high. But it isn't that impressive. But it is admirable.

Ferro + endo isn't always a good thing and with this logic wouldn't that make mechs like the Adder, Mist lynx, Ice ferret, etc competitive?

this also blocks out good areas with hard wiring and such. Which can ruin placement of Targeting computers, AP, ammo, heatsinks, etc.

Also this is slower then most IS mechs. It may survive a ST destruction, but in the next few seconds the other one may easily come off too (ESPECIALLY if the discussion on clan XL engine changes eventually comes in game. Where if say you lost a ST to a king crab... he'll kill you before you can get away)

Also Panther and urbanmech do not seem to have that much of a problem with standards. And most IS mechs have good hitbox where ST isn't that big of a problem. Hell some of my IS lights only run a grand total of front and rear of 6 armour points for the ST's and I'm doing quite happily and fine.

Clan lasers isn't that much of an advantage for light mechs unless it's ER large laser snipping or large pulsing. And if that's the case the adder out does this mech already as well as the mist lynx.

Lighter SRM's however is the redeeming factor and this is why I can't wait for this mech to be in game. alas SRM's isn't a meta/ competitive thing and doesn't improve this mech by much

And I swear if I go to a different thread and use the "lighter SRM's" excuse I could see people bashing me everywhere for that opinion because of "inaccurate!" "it spreads!" etc. Such as the nature of this forum.

#42 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 13 April 2015 - 11:19 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 13 April 2015 - 09:50 PM, said:

Just... wow. They told you this over dinner, eh? Maybe you've bugged the office? Crystal ball? Tea Leaves? Alternate universe? Is this some kind of bleedover from the Perpetual Testing Initiative?

I ask because the reason Clan 'mechs haven't gotten their quirks yet is that the most powerful Clanner chassis are the gold standard in power. The ERPPC Thunderbolt has long been nerfed, as have several other chassis - but the Timber Wolf and Stormcrow reign supreme with no substantial nerfs to blunt their dominance. Does this mean that "it's known" PGI "loves the Clans and only buffs the Inner Sphere to pay the bills?" No; if I make that claim I've just cherry picked data to position myself as a victim because I dislike what I perceive as the power of the top Clan chassis - it would say more about my ability to reason than anything in the real world.

That first paragraph reminds me that I was working on a Portal weapon expansion pack for FTL: Faster then Light... Will have to work on that quite soon and finish that ASAP. I need that combustible lemon gun working soon.

now on the second paragraph. They are slowly getting better and better. Everyone always makes fun of the Adder and it's a clear Tier 5 mech however the Panther which is a T4 mech has superior quirks to what the adder counterpart has.

Simular story with warhawk, gargoyle, etc. Clan quriks are not here for all clan mechs and is improving over time so this isn't a stable point yet for a total comparison versus the Timby and the devide between meta and non meta clans.

Thunderbolt ER PPC in some ways hasn't been nerf, they just put the ludicus heat quirks away too 25% (which is better then any clan mech still... with the highest ER PPC heat quirk being 8%?) and switched it for velocity. This just made the Thunderbolt to the "King of all ranges ,can out brawl most mechs even with 3 er ppc's" to now making it a good sniper.

Either way it's a great improvement. It's odd having a 3 er ppc mech being good at brawling. That's face palming for people who are into BT before MW: O. IT's like watching Vsaurces early videos.

Btw I do not get the rest of the paragraph. rather you failed to prove a point earlier on in this debate to continue your perspective or I missed something. But either way time for the overall response.

If you are asking how I know this. First of all...

A) check all live streams PGI do, majority are IS mechs.
B) PGI stated them self earlier that majority of them are IS fans.
3) not really a valid point, but PGI's only planet in CW is in the inner sphere and not in clan space. Why not make Strana Mechty PGI as well? or was that originally going to be IGP before they left...
D) Most first wave of quirks were supporting builds that PGI liked using personally. ie the ER large laser Locust, the AC 2 locust, etc. This is why some quirks were OP , becuase PGI's perspective and ways they used the mech wasn't what happened in the end (ie first Thunderbolt quirks)

They play IS a lot and thus see things from the buisness end. People who gaze at the end of the sword of there foe will always think in a different way then when standing by it's side with the vice versa occuring.

Evidence of this in over communities of gaming = War Thunder and World of Tanks. nearly completely different games that have simular issues and those issues also occur in MW: O and other games that are actively updated with multiplayer.

In WT since the devs are all russian and such and have access to data that say a US dev won't have on Russian technology and stuff often faces criticism for being "Russian bias" in the game, claims saying russia is OP and stuff and that PGi favours them over the other 4 nations.

Meanwhile on the russian forums (different forum overall), they actually claim the opposite, they do not think there is russian bias. In fact from there perspective they think that US is getting extra treatment just so gaijin can appeal to people from outside of russia.

These 2 problems on faction community divisions and Devs possibly being biased even not on purpose is an active problem in most video gaming. Majority of PGI are fans of IS tech and play it a lot. and it's easier for them to see the problems of say, "OP clans" and "UP IS" points and aspects then vice versa.

Perhaps I am from a biased eye as well? I played Clans in CW majority of the time. Lost nearly every match while when I was IS I did on average 5 times more damage, had 5-10 times higher rewards. and nearly 100% win rate. This was before most blanket nerfs to clans as well.

however I guess some say I could be an IS bias. since 92% of all my mechs are IS and I like certain chassis to the point that I own all 6 variants and then got doubles.

#43 o0Marduk0o

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,231 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 13 April 2015 - 11:55 PM

I assume you never did the math for weapon comparison. IS Med Pulse have no Ghost Heat, right but with reasons. Do the math. Don't just look on weapon stat values, work with them.
Personally I don't care what opinion you have and I have no motivation to spend further time here to convince you.
Your comments about ferro/endo or humanoid hitboxes tell me that you have not a single clue about what you're talking. Same goes for speed. You have no idea about the available slots in each location of the AC, right? I do.

I guess you want facts and arguments to recognize you are wrong. Not going to happen. I won't waste by breath for notorious clan whiners.

#44 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 13 April 2015 - 11:58 PM

View Posto0Marduk0o, on 13 April 2015 - 11:55 PM, said:

I assume you never did the math for weapon comparison. IS Med Pulse have no Ghost Heat, right but with reasons. Do the math. Don't just look on weapon stat values, work with them.
Personally I don't care what opinion you have and I have no motivation to spend further time here to convince you.
Your comments about ferro/endo or humanoid hitboxes tell me that you have not a single clue about what you're talking. Same goes for speed. You have no idea about the available slots in each location of the AC, right? I do.

I guess you want facts and arguments to recognize you are wrong. Not going to happen. I won't waste by breath for notorious clan whiners.

I did do the math, and personally the fact you still say nothing of solidity in your comment to prove anything just kinda makes you look like a person who simply raged quit from this debate and/or didn't bother reading anything I posted.
Would make this look like an argument due to how the end result happened for your end and to the point you didn't even reply to my comment directly to avoid any notifications coming my way.

Not only does it make you look like you give up because you do not have a single minute to bother to know what you are talking about or know about it but also poorly reflects upon yourself.

I would pitty you. But alas there isn't enough to go around.

#45 Tidy

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 53 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 03:30 AM

Anyway.....
Adder is good for fire power and fun support. Probaly go for that.
I Like the Myst Lynx post quirks, nice little tanky mech now but dealing any meaningfull damage is behind a much needed quirk wall still, I have hope.
Kitfox you can research on these forums easy and make your own mind up.

Arctic in june will rule the lot of them, you never know though quirks might make what we have now viable in some way, so there you have it.

#46 Shadey99

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 03:40 AM

View PostNightshade24, on 13 April 2015 - 10:58 PM, said:

And we see that using any form of ballistic (ie the stock LBX 10) on the Stormcrow C arm is extremely rare, only used by people trying to utilize the stock omnipod config or want a cheap mastery.

I'm my highest win/loss and kill/death ratio of all my storm crows is with a Stormcrow C using a UAC10 (It's otherwise stock). The UAC10 allows me to run cooler than many other mechs if I focus on the UAC10 for a bit and ignore the pulse lasers.

Heck I just had a game last night with it where I pummeled a Warhawk and would have soloed him if a firestarter from his team hadn't arrived with a pair of MGs. I still beat the firestarter silly (He was red CT, right ST, right arm and exposed internals literally everywhere) and if my team had paid any attention at all at least one of them could have arrived to help me finish the FS and I would have lived. When my team finally came that way both the Warhawk and FS took 1 shot to kill.

#47 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 14 April 2015 - 04:08 AM

View PostShadey99, on 14 April 2015 - 03:40 AM, said:

I'm my highest win/loss and kill/death ratio of all my storm crows is with a Stormcrow C using a UAC10 (It's otherwise stock). The UAC10 allows me to run cooler than many other mechs if I focus on the UAC10 for a bit and ignore the pulse lasers.

Heck I just had a game last night with it where I pummeled a Warhawk and would have soloed him if a firestarter from his team hadn't arrived with a pair of MGs. I still beat the firestarter silly (He was red CT, right ST, right arm and exposed internals literally everywhere) and if my team had paid any attention at all at least one of them could have arrived to help me finish the FS and I would have lived. When my team finally came that way both the Warhawk and FS took 1 shot to kill.

Even though a win/loss ratio isn't a good indicator on a mechs performance (if that was the case my Urbanmech 60L is the most OP mech I own atm... That thing is stock too) however it is impressive a bit... how many battles was this sampled off?

#48 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 04:34 AM

View Posto0Marduk0o, on 13 April 2015 - 11:55 PM, said:

Says the guy sporting a clanner faction avatar... :blink:

Clan mechs are a bit underpowered in general at this time, but the difference is not sufficient to make them unplayable. Besides, I rather like a challenge.

Frankly, I didn't think they were that OP even right when they came out despite all the pre-nerf whining that went on back then. I'll grant you that I didn't have a chance to drive any of them at that time, since I was on something of a tighter budget and they weren't out for c-bills, but I certainly killed them easily enough in my then-meta Locust 3M.

#49 o0Marduk0o

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 05:40 AM

View PostTim East, on 14 April 2015 - 04:34 AM, said:

Says the guy sporting a clanner faction avatar... :blink:

Me as a clan pilot call him a whiner, yes. Who else has the right to do so? IS pilots who might have a bias?

Edited by o0Marduk0o, 14 April 2015 - 05:41 AM.

#50 Smag

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 41 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 April 2015 - 05:56 AM

View Posto0Marduk0o, on 11 April 2015 - 11:37 PM, said:

Firemoth has barely any weapon load. It wouldn't be a good choice.

Dasher D

#51 Shadey99

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 06:10 AM

View PostNightshade24, on 14 April 2015 - 04:08 AM, said:

Even though a win/loss ratio isn't a good indicator on a mechs performance (if that was the case my Urbanmech 60L is the most OP mech I own atm... That thing is stock too) however it is impressive a bit... how many battles was this sampled off?

So far ~50 games in each prime, C, & D variants, though I've only owned them maybe a week. My C & D's have nearly twice the kills & ~30% higher w/l. Most of the kills are solo ones as well as I tend to play most of my mediums like lights. So unless the trend changes suddenly I do better without to many energy weapons, probably because I have less heat issues (ie less downtime while I cool off).

#52 o0Marduk0o

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 06:36 AM

View PostSmag, on 14 April 2015 - 05:56 AM, said:

Dasher D

Armor.

Heat.

Now think again about it.
You guys act like your arguments are unknown.

Edited by o0Marduk0o, 14 April 2015 - 06:37 AM.

#53 Smag

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 41 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 April 2015 - 09:45 AM

You don't have to make this personal.

The Dasher is a 20T mech. It's not going to have the same loadout space as a 30T. However, it is capable of having plenty, which I was demonstrating with the Dasher D variant. Even with being converted to the MWO system of mechbuilding, you are looking at six energy hardpoints.

#54 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 11:30 AM

All flamer suicide Fire Moth builds, GO!

#55 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,644 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 14 April 2015 - 11:49 AM

View PostNightshade24, on 13 April 2015 - 11:19 PM, said:

A) check all live streams PGI do, majority are IS mechs.
B) PGI stated them self earlier that majority of them are IS fans.
3) not really a valid point, but PGI's only planet in CW is in the inner sphere and not in clan space. Why not make Strana Mechty PGI as well? or was that originally going to be IGP before they left...
D) Most first wave of quirks were supporting builds that PGI liked using personally. ie the ER large laser Locust, the AC 2 locust, etc. This is why some quirks were OP , becuase PGI's perspective and ways they used the mech wasn't what happened in the end (ie first Thunderbolt quirks)

They play IS a lot and thus see things from the buisness end. People who gaze at the end of the sword of there foe will always think in a different way then when standing by it's side with the vice versa occuring.

Evidence of this in over communities of gaming = War Thunder and World of Tanks. nearly completely different games that have simular issues and those issues also occur in MW: O and other games that are actively updated with multiplayer.

In WT since the devs are all russian and such and have access to data that say a US dev won't have on Russian technology and stuff often faces criticism for being "Russian bias" in the game, claims saying russia is OP and stuff and that PGi favours them over the other 4 nations.

Meanwhile on the russian forums (different forum overall), they actually claim the opposite, they do not think there is russian bias. In fact from there perspective they think that US is getting extra treatment just so gaijin can appeal to people from outside of russia.

These 2 problems on faction community divisions and Devs possibly being biased even not on purpose is an active problem in most video gaming. Majority of PGI are fans of IS tech and play it a lot. and it's easier for them to see the problems of say, "OP clans" and "UP IS" points and aspects then vice versa.

So basically a lot of circumstantial evidence - my favorite is when you reference unsupported accusations in another game as "evidence" - and no real proof whatsoever. Even your explanation is all over the place - in places you seem to have just vomited out whatever wild fancies came to mind - PGI makes WarThunder? AC/2 Locust quirks? Russian devs have more information on World War II Soviet technology? The stuff that does come out coherently is vague mumbo-jumbo that requires its own support: "all" live streams are with Inner Sphere technology; PGI admitted they're mostly IS fans "earlier." Even if we accept these claimed facts at face value, they still don't lead logically to your conclusion - and you've left out a few salient facts. Chief among these is that during the best demographic testing period we've yet had (the CW challenge) the Clans (oh-so-nerfed in "favor" of the Inner Sphere,) still won 53% of their matches. So, you're making a claim, but you can't prove it, even when ignoring inconvenient contrary evidence. Since you have no proof for this claim, I have no reason to pay attention to you. You've failed to successfully support your opinion and your argument is simply wrong.

Bye.

#56 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 14 April 2015 - 12:07 PM

View Posto0Marduk0o, on 14 April 2015 - 06:36 AM, said:

Armor.

Heat.

Now think again about it.
You guys act like your arguments are unknown.

View PostSmag, on 14 April 2015 - 09:45 AM, said:

You don't have to make this personal.

The Dasher is a 20T mech. It's not going to have the same loadout space as a 30T. However, it is capable of having plenty, which I was demonstrating with the Dasher D variant. Even with being converted to the MWO system of mechbuilding, you are looking at six energy hardpoints.

20 ton mech.

Speed: 162.0 km/h (216.0 km/h with MASC) with out speed tweak, 178.2 km/h ( 237.6 km/h) with speed tweak.
(I know TT doesn't always go 1:1 speed with MW: O, however I recalculated using a 20 ton (Locust) light mech in MW: O and it is in fact 162 km/h without speed tweak)

Stock armour value: 2 Tons. (64 armour points)

Pod space: 6.75 Tons.

Pod space (max effective armour) 134 points of armour. about 4.5 tons to work with with max Armour effectively on. A bit to much for a mech running 200 kph + I guess. my locusts run less then max. But for point of concept I will assume the player wants a max armoured fire moth.

Weapons of interest:

SRM 2 : 0.5 tons
SRM 4 : 1.0 tons
SRM 6 : 1.5 tons

Streak 2: 1.0 tons
Streak 4: 2.0 tons
Streak 6: 3.0 tons. (for the max armour, this will only have 1 ton ammo.

ER small laser: 0.5 tons
ER medium laser: 1.0 tons

Small pulse laser: 1.0 tons.

Builds possible: (Using prime)
4 x Small pulse lasers
4 x ER medium lasers
2 x Small pulse, 2 x ER medium.
4 x ER small lasers, 2 x SRM 2 (1 ton ammo).
2 x SRM 4 ( 2 ton ammo)
2 x Medium Pulse lasers
2 x LRM 5 (3 ton ammo)
1 x SRM 2, 1 x Streak 2 (1,5 to 2 tons ammo each)

Builds possible: (Using B )
2 x MG (0.5 tons of ammo to 1.0 tons. Remove BAP for more ammo) , 2 x Medium laser. 1 x BAP
2 x MG, 2 x Small Pulse, 1 x BAP

Builds possible: (Using D)
2 x Small Pulse, 4 x ER small lasers
6 x ER small, 1 x BAP.

Keep in mind. This is with near max armour and going 238 kph. this has greater firepower or more then the IS 20 tonners (Locust), 25 tonners (Commando), a good bit of 30 tonners (A few Spiders), and nearly equal with the 35 tonners (Jenner, Firestarter, etc)

This is also a 20 ton mech, meaning you could do 2 firemoths, 2 direwolfs, on a drop deck for CW.

Not to mention that speed alone makes this a very good scout mech. If you ever heard of team work this thing will be the appex of scouting and fast response work.

This mech puts 50% of the IS ones to shame.

Also the "Fire moth Alentha" will be the only hero mech in time line possible for this omni without making one up.
It has 4 hardpoints with the stock load out of 3 er small lasers, 1 er large, and an ECM.

1 x ER large laser 1 x ECM at 200 kph + ghost sniper anyone?

View PostVoid Angel, on 14 April 2015 - 11:49 AM, said:

So basically a lot of circumstantial evidence - my favorite is when you reference unsupported accusations in another game as "evidence" - and no real proof whatsoever. Even your explanation is all over the place - in places you seem to have just vomited out whatever wild fancies came to mind - PGI makes WarThunder? AC/2 Locust quirks? Russian devs have more information on World War II Soviet technology? The stuff that does come out coherently is vague mumbo-jumbo that requires its own support: "all" live streams are with Inner Sphere technology; PGI admitted they're mostly IS fans "earlier." Even if we accept these claimed facts at face value, they still don't lead logically to your conclusion - and you've left out a few salient facts. Chief among these is that during the best demographic testing period we've yet had (the CW challenge) the Clans (oh-so-nerfed in "favor" of the Inner Sphere,) still won 53% of their matches. So, you're making a claim, but you can't prove it, even when ignoring inconvenient contrary evidence. Since you have no proof for this claim, I have no reason to pay attention to you. You've failed to successfully support your opinion and your argument is simply wrong.

Bye.

Bye.

Edited by Nightshade24, 14 April 2015 - 12:06 PM.

#57 Kali Rinpoche

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 639 posts
  • LocationCrossing, Draconis March

Posted 14 April 2015 - 12:33 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 14 April 2015 - 11:49 AM, said:

Bye.

Thank you Void! Nothing personal against the OP, but I am so tired of, "PGI hates the Clans..." The Clan invasion broke TT and the Jihad stupidity helped bury it. Now, as for MWO, I think they have striven to balance the 2 tech bases. If there were no game mechanics to give the IS a chance, the Clans would stomp the IS into paste. Russ and the other Dev's have stated that they wanted the two as close to as each other as possible without destroying the flavor of either, and I think they have done that.

Now that I have gotten that off my chest, there are definite factors in place that make Clan lights less viable than their IS counterparts. I own everything except the Glad, WH, and Mad Dog. I really enjoy the Myst Lynx for its insane JJs and the KitFox for the light AC builds. If I had to just chose 1, I would probably choose the Adders b/c of a good range of Omni Pods.

The best of the "almost light category" is actually 5 tons heavier and in the medium class - The Fenris! Love the 140 KPH speed and wub wub ability.

Edited by Kali Rinpoche, 14 April 2015 - 12:35 PM.

#58 Shadey99

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 01:08 PM

View PostNightshade24, on 14 April 2015 - 12:07 PM, said:

4 x Small pulse lasers
4 x ER medium lasers
2 x Small pulse, 2 x ER medium.
2 x Medium Pulse lasers
2 x LRM 5 (3 ton ammo)
1 x SRM 2, 1 x Streak 2 (1,5 to 2 tons ammo each)
2 x MG, 2 x Small Pulse, 1 x BAP
6 x ER small, 1 x BAP.
1 x ER large laser 1 x ECM at 200 kph + ghost sniper anyone?

All of these can be done with the locust now at 150-170 kph. While arguably faster the Firemoth is unlikely to have a definitive edge except in matters of escape from the enemy. Though as fragile as it is I think the same pool of people that play the locust would be the ones to take an interest in the Fire Moth (And us Locust pilots are often considered nuts).

#59 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,644 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 14 April 2015 - 01:23 PM

View PostKali Rinpoche, on 14 April 2015 - 12:33 PM, said:

Thank you Void! Nothing personal against the OP, but I am so tired of, "PGI hates the Clans..."

You're welcome! Normally I just shake my head and pass by, but occasionally the dishonesty and illogic just get to me - even though I know the OP is going to just practice argumentum ad nauseum.

Clan lights are designed to be close-in pickets and support elements. Note that most Clan 'mechs go roughly the same speed. So, the Clanners' Light 'mechs aren't designed to be really fast recon elements like the Inner Sphere - they're designed to move just ahead of the main force of incredibly mobile Heavies, Mediums, and Assaults to provide early warning and visual scouting around sight lines. Players are used to lights being fast, though, so they often try to use Clan Lights like they would use the Inner Sphere machines, with disastrous consequences. Aside from pilot error, however, a really big problem is that in PuG matches there is little reason to bring an Adder when you can bring a Stormcrow and do most of the same things with insane durability. This doesn't stop people from using the Adder, but it's still a real problem.

In CW, you see Adders when PuG players and casual units want to bring a Dire Wolf instead of a Timber Wolf - but especially with serious units, you'll be seeing the Unholy Trinity of Timber Wolf, Stormcrow, and Hellbringer, with the odd Dire Wolf, Mad Dog, or Warhawk on the side (and Mist Lynxes as spotters.) If I had to guess (and I do,) I'd say that PGI didn't act quickly to quirk the Clans because they're trying to balance the factions first; the devs have a lot more experience with making changes to Inner Sphere weapon systems, so they did that first, and are worrying about Clan quirks after they iron out the quirk system on more familiar ground.

In short, it's true that Clan Lights are not able to compete with the Inner Sphere (yet) in terms of speed, and that they're underperforming in general, but they're also often misunderstood.

Edited by Void Angel, 14 April 2015 - 01:24 PM.

#60 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 14 April 2015 - 03:45 PM

View PostShadey99, on 14 April 2015 - 01:08 PM, said:

All of these can be done with the locust now at 150-170 kph. While arguably faster the Firemoth is unlikely to have a definitive edge except in matters of escape from the enemy. Though as fragile as it is I think the same pool of people that play the locust would be the ones to take an interest in the Fire Moth (And us Locust pilots are often considered nuts).

Yes but you here's the few key points the Firemoth surpases the locust.

1) it goes the same speed without speed tweak as a locust with max engine with speed tweak, then throw in the MASC and you got something that makes a locust jelly.

2) Clan lasers have extra range over a normal IS laser (minus stupid quirks that are over 35%). In a locust to run 6 small lasers you need to get close to be effective while in the clan mech not so much. even then you can get close much faster so that if you put 2 and 2 together it can be already behind you when you saw that flash of red light at the mid distance a split second ago. (True these lasers have additional heat, but the firemoth hits the sweet spot on not over doing it with ghost heat at 7+ and also it has the tonnage and DHS to keep it cool unlike some certain other clanners)

Also Locust can't do certain builds using machine guns that the firemoth can do.

3) when the locust does some of the builds above, it rather A) lacks the ammo, or B.) reduced armour.

Both are 20 ton mechs performing a similar role, of course there will be some simularities! just look at the Hellbringer and Warhammer for eg or the Mad Dog and Catapult!

However there are some clear characteristics of the firemoth that is bette rover the locust and another one is the very high weapon mounts on the firemoth, potentially it can only reveal 3% of it's mech over a ridge to attack an enemy mech and for the enemy to relaliate they have to shoot at 2 little arms that from there angle is the same as trying to get a head shot. now if your moving evne slightly back and forward with the insane acceleration they will be better of dumb firing LRM's on another mech then trying to focus you down.

Also keep in mind that in this circumstance, we are compairing max armour firemoth vs mid armour locust. If we cut the armour down on the locust a LOT more fun can be had. for eg 4 medium pulse, 2 SRM 6's. etc.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users