• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 14 April 2015 - 11:14 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 14 April 2015 - 08:48 AM, said:

I'm just pointing out, that a very small dropship like a Leopard (the ones that are in game right now for CW) should be terror inducing for the other side to even think about approaching, rather than a minor annoyance that they have been dumb down into.

Other than teh wall of Armor a Leopard has... It is very much undergunned. The weapons listed are spread out over the whole ship. So you face a Medium or heavy Mech's fire power at any given time. That is not formidable.

#22 CptGier

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 11:26 AM

View PostTELEFORCE, on 14 April 2015 - 08:20 AM, said:

Those dorsal-mounted PPCs on the Leopard would have a hard time hitting ground targets :P

LOL, those dorsal mounted PGI PPCs would have trouble hitting another barely moving Leopard.....

#23 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 14 April 2015 - 11:29 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 14 April 2015 - 11:14 AM, said:

Other than teh wall of Armor a Leopard has... It is very much undergunned. The weapons listed are spread out over the whole ship. So you face a Medium or heavy Mech's fire power at any given time. That is not formidable.

True, I just think the first thing that the three Leopards dropping off the players, would take the time they would need to secure their drop zone... something they should be very good at doing, very quickly... and well they would be hard as hell for the OPFOR to engage... as I'm not sure a lot of the players have the skill necessary to properly lead a fast moving target like an aircraft, that can move in a three dimensional space.

Hell we should have Aerospace fighters securing the the air space of the LZ's before the drop-ships even hit space.... and softening up ground targets before ground forces get there.... -sigh- I guess I think about this too much with how it should be done, rather than the limitations that PGI faces....

View PostCptGier, on 14 April 2015 - 11:26 AM, said:

LOL, those dorsal mounted PGI PPCs would have trouble hitting another barely moving Leopard.....

Three dimensional space...

You can attack from:

Front
Side
Rear
Below

On top of that, in space, there is no up... they could also go inverted to bring those PPC's to target... And if you don't think things would be strapped down / locked in, for an orbital drop, then well.... I don't know what to tell you...

#24 CptGier

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 11:30 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 14 April 2015 - 11:29 AM, said:

True, I just think the first thing that the three Leopards dropping off the players, would take the time they would need to secure their drop zone... something they should be very good at doing, very quickly... and well they would be hard as hell for the OPFOR to engage... as I'm not sure a lot of the players have the skill necessary to properly lead a fast moving target like an aircraft, that can move in a three dimensional space.

Hell we should have Aerospace fighters securing the the air space of the LZ's before the drop-ships even hit space.... and softening up ground targets before ground forces get there.... -sigh- I guess I think about this too much with how it should be done, rather than the limitations that PGI faces....

You can attack from:

Front
Side
Rear
Below

On top of that, in space, there is no up... they could also go inverted to bring those PPC's to target... And if you don't think things would be strapped down / locked in, for an orbital drop, then well.... I don't know what to tell you...

Given the insanely slow velocity of our weapons and the fast moving of a Leopard? No one could hit it....lasers would be the anti dropship meta.

#25 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 11:33 AM

View PostCptGier, on 14 April 2015 - 11:30 AM, said:

Given the insanely slow velocity of our weapons and the fast moving of a Leopard? No one could hit it....lasers would be the anti dropship meta.

Our PPC's are borked.... badly... they should be an effective mid to long range weapon system.

#26 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 14 April 2015 - 01:25 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 14 April 2015 - 11:33 AM, said:

Our PPC's are borked.... badly... they should be an effective mid to long range weapon system.

But what if the dropships were clan, however, then they'd be shooting non-stop...

#27 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 02:14 PM

View PostScout Derek, on 14 April 2015 - 01:25 PM, said:

But what if the dropships were clan, however, then they'd be shooting non-stop...

Broadsword:

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Broadsword
Posted Image

2 x ERLL
2 x ERPPC
8 X MPL
2 X SPL
1 X AMS
5 X A-LRM 20
2 X SSRM6

On top of holding a full star of mechs....

Doesn't really matter about it being clan or IS, Drop ships don't have to worry about heat, they carry enough heatsinks to fire constantly...

Edited by Metus regem, 14 April 2015 - 02:15 PM.

#28 Matthew Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 891 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 14 April 2015 - 02:41 PM

I only want the Union for one reason.

MW2 Mercenaries intro reenactment.

"AHHH! Roger Dropship Command, I've got the recon data AND ONE PISSED OFF ATLAS ON MY TAIL!"

Edited by Matthew Ace, 14 April 2015 - 02:44 PM.

#29 CptGier

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 04:22 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 14 April 2015 - 11:29 AM, said:

You can attack from:

Front
Side
Rear
Below

Cuz they move to slow......I get space lol,

#30 TELEFORCE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 04:43 PM

I'd love it if the Clan 'mechs dropped from a Broadsword. Sure, the Clans did use Leopards during the invasion, but a Broadsword would create another difference between Clan and IS forces in CW.

#31 mark v92

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 441 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 05:52 PM

They look bad***!

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Could be nice for defenders spawnpoint. Something like a starport with this type of dropship. Couple of base turrets could be attached to this thing. Imagine HPG but with a giant dropship in the middle instaid of the radar dish. Would like to see this thing flying tho

Edited by mark v92, 14 April 2015 - 06:10 PM.

#32 Shatara

• PipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 73 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 07:50 PM

Who's up for calulating how many turns of thrust a Leopard would take to outrun a MWO PPC?

One thing all these threads about how heavily armed dropships are tend to miss the fact that it's entirely possible to down one with an LB-2X...

#33 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 07:54 PM

View PostShatara, on 14 April 2015 - 07:50 PM, said:

Who's up for calulating how many turns of thrust a Leopard would take to outrun a MWO PPC?

One thing all these threads about how heavily armed dropships are tend to miss the fact that it's entirely possible to down one with an LB-2X...

I have never seen a Drop ship knocked down by a LB-2X.... I think small craft have special rules that prevent that...

#34 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 14 April 2015 - 08:03 PM

View PostScout Derek, on 14 April 2015 - 06:58 AM, said:

So people are hyped about this thing in the background of this picture:

Posted Image

Looks harmless, right?

Nope, it isn't.

Good luck trying to take that egg down. Wait till you see it's bigger brother:

Posted Image

Yep.

All those Gauss Rifles and Large Lasers....

BRING IN THE URBANNUKES

Posted Image

Great concept art at the top. The marauder looks heavier than 75 tons but great scene.

The other classes of dropships will be great additons to the game. Cant wait.

#35 William Mountbank

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 671 posts
  • LocationBayern

Posted 14 April 2015 - 11:33 PM

Is that a full unseen lance in the OP pic?

#36 Blue Boutique

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 481 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 03:03 AM

Yep, Warhammer, Marauder, Rifleman and Archer.

#37 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 15 April 2015 - 03:05 AM

View PostWilliam Mountbank, on 14 April 2015 - 11:33 PM, said:

Is that a full unseen lance in the OP pic?

I wonder which Thunderbolt that is coming out of the Dropper?

#38 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 08:34 AM

View Post0bsidion, on 14 April 2015 - 08:41 AM, said:

I guess I missed something somewhere, how are these different dropships going to factor in exactly? Just different models dropping off our mechs?

If your an I.S. 12 man your Dropship will drop and go. If your a I.S. Pug 12 then your Dropship will drop and stay to help defend Omega from the baddies that grow in vats.

Not sure it would help those PUGS, but they could then whine about how that Union Dropship Commander and its crew let them down, rather than each other.. LOL :)

Edited by Almond Brown, 15 April 2015 - 08:44 AM.

#39 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 08:38 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 14 April 2015 - 09:12 AM, said:

That's a given, relying on only a mech company comprised of up to and including 3,000t of mechs is just silly, even by BT standards for a key position such as these Omega canons that can determine if a planet falls or not...

I thought that 15 of these such location on a Planet had to be secured before a Planet was considered "flipped". Damn it. So only 1 drop flips a Planet now. Must of missed that in the latest Patch notes... ;)

#40 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 15 April 2015 - 08:44 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 14 April 2015 - 02:14 PM, said:

Doesn't really matter about it being clan or IS, Drop ships don't have to worry about heat, they carry enough heatsinks to fire constantly...

Well, if you factor the weapons into the MWO game now, when the weapons only fire if they are within range of doing full damage...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users