So...... Is It Settled Then? Best Mech Is Urbanmech?

129 replies to this topic

#61 dimachaerus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 170 posts
  • LocationRichmond KY

Posted 15 April 2015 - 01:40 PM

So far, I rock a hideously un-meta Lbx10/Med las build, and have had a blast with it. best done on the R63 for its Ballistic cooldown rate. Run single HS, standard 100 engine endo and ferro, lbx in RA, and medium in LA. 2.5 tons ammo and 3 JJ or 3 tons ammo and 2 JJ.

Before that I was running two meds and an Ultra 5 but got annoyed by the constant jamming, usually in streaks of 5+ jams on the first shot in a row. Yes, it was so bad I actually started keeping count of my jams.

The LBX though packs one mean punch and can just keep pounding away, shell, after shell, after shell, after shell, in surprisingly rapid succession. Usually end up with 400 or more damage and at least two kills per match brawling with this little monster. Except for the couple times I ate a dual gauss from across the map into my cockpit.

#62 Piney II

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 05:30 PM

View PostCathy, on 15 April 2015 - 05:23 AM, said:

People may mock the Urby, BUTT, I'm telling you, these Weaponised sphincter suppositories are the Bomb.

LOL! Good signature material..... :lol:

#63 Cyborne Elemental

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,981 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 April 2015 - 05:39 PM

Well urbies will still get wrecked by Firestarters.

They are on the other hand, quite capable little mechs I would say that are still a step above Commando's and Spiders, but pretty close to equal to Raven's and Jenners in the kickass department.

#64 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 15 April 2015 - 05:48 PM

Gotta say, all weekend, the only time I got wrecked by a light, it was because there was several of them. Not one 1v1 loss to a light.

#65 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 15 April 2015 - 06:02 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 15 April 2015 - 05:48 PM, said:

Gotta say, all weekend, the only time I got wrecked by a light, it was because there was several of them. Not one 1v1 loss to a light.

That's because you can never get behind an Urbie! :). "I keep circling, but I can't get there!"

#66 dimachaerus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 170 posts
  • LocationRichmond KY

Posted 15 April 2015 - 06:25 PM

View PostMister D, on 15 April 2015 - 05:39 PM, said:

They are on the other hand, quite capable little mechs I would say that are still a step above Commando's and Spiders, but pretty close to equal to Raven's and Jenners in the kickass department.

Over the weekend and earlier this week, I was actually really surprised at how well it handles other light mechs in a straight up fight.

I put down a LOT of firestarters with my LBX, and was pleasantly surprised by the fact. Of course, they can just run the hell away, but most don't have the presence of mind to do so before they get XL checked.

#67 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 15 April 2015 - 06:34 PM

View PostGraves24, on 15 April 2015 - 05:19 AM, said:

The Urbie is a bad joke.

Yesterday I was playing a game on HPG Manifold.

I arrived late to the battle because I got lost.

I saw some movements in the tunnel and decided to check out whats going on (brawler Centurion build).
Suddenly a friendly Jenner, a friendly Thunderbolt and a friendly Jaegermech who was backpeddling and shooting the hell out of tunnel entrance run past me in fear.

So I enter that tunnel and there was this trashcan in a corner shooting small lasers at me. I gave him 2x AC20 shots to the torso followed by 2x SRM12 salvos and he was gone.

Done. -_-

No idea what these 3 guys running away were thinking.

So, you find a bad urbie pilot and that makes the case? I can tell your same story against virtually every mech in the game.

GGClose.

#68 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 15 April 2015 - 06:40 PM

View Post3xnihilo, on 15 April 2015 - 06:02 PM, said:

That's because you can never get behind an Urbie! :). "I keep circling, but I can't get there!"
Actually, that's basically it. Light pilots are highly adverse to face tanking. But against an Urbie, he can always be firing at you. That ability allows an Urbie to pull maneuvers to counter lights trying to evade without having to ever expose his back or stop firing.

I think a lot of people haven't really considered the sorts of maneuvers you can pull in an Urbie, and how they can be used.

View Postdimachaerus, on 15 April 2015 - 06:25 PM, said:

Over the weekend and earlier this week, I was actually really surprised at how well it handles other light mechs in a straight up fight.

I put down a LOT of firestarters with my LBX, and was pleasantly surprised by the fact. Of course, they can just run the hell away, but most don't have the presence of mind to do so before they get XL checked.
yeah, my experience was they'd either run away immediately (fine with me) or die. 2 of my 3 builds are standard engine buids too, so between MG's, LPL and ML's, I can accurately tear through a lights ST fast. Meanwhile, even if I lose one ST, I'm still fighting. In light vs light battles, that's a HUGE advantage.

#69 Sorbic

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 07:15 PM

View PostXetelian, on 14 April 2015 - 02:50 PM, said:

I've seen a lot of urbies so the sale must have been pretty popular.

Everytime I see one running stock I kindly ask them to upgrade their engine as soon as possible.

heh, I had a teammate tell me to "kill myself" when I was plodding along at 35 kph. Felt good outdoing him and then getting 4 kills/nearly 600dmg. :) Of course there are plenty of times I fell behind and got tore to shreds. I'm talking lettuce in KFC coleslaw shreds.

But yeah it is too slow and I really wish there was a 75-80 engine. Esp since I now have DHS's and don't think I can run the AC20 build without giving up endo.

#70 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 15 April 2015 - 08:19 PM

I am not a fan of the Little Can That Could.

I'd much prefer to drive a Commando (no ECM), Spider (no ECM), or Panther.

#71 S13gtastic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Roughneck
  • The Roughneck
  • 119 posts
  • LocationBig Sky

Posted 15 April 2015 - 08:19 PM

Actually have an update on the continued effort to bring the word of Urbie to the unbelievers. You ether die a trash-can or live to be a hero!

Posted Image

#72 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 08:36 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 15 April 2015 - 06:40 PM, said:

Actually, that's basically it. Light pilots are highly adverse to face tanking. But against an Urbie, he can always be firing at you. That ability allows an Urbie to pull maneuvers to counter lights trying to evade without having to ever expose his back or stop firing.

I think a lot of people haven't really considered the sorts of maneuvers you can pull in an Urbie, and how they can be used.

yeah, my experience was they'd either run away immediately (fine with me) or die. 2 of my 3 builds are standard engine buids too, so between MG's, LPL and ML's, I can accurately tear through a lights ST fast. Meanwhile, even if I lose one ST, I'm still fighting. In light vs light battles, that's a HUGE advantage.

been considering setting up my nostromo again, figured that little thumb joystick would be perfect for maximizing that 360 twist.

#73 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 15 April 2015 - 10:52 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 15 April 2015 - 08:36 PM, said:

been considering setting up my nostromo again, figured that little thumb joystick would be perfect for maximizing that 360 twist.
The 360 twist is huge, its everything. I imagine people will catch on soon enough, but right now its a blast using it to mess with people, and move in ways they don't expect

The classic jump+turn, for example? You can easily tell which way a Jenner or Spider is going to run when he lands (after all, he's got to be basically facing in that direction) but you don't know which way the Urbie will run, or which way he'll turn after that. Other mechs tend to telegraph their turns by their facing, not so with the Urbie.

Its honestly the most fun I've ever had piloting a mech, as that one small change, 360 degree twist adds so very many possibilities to exploit

#74 Krivvan

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 16 April 2015 - 12:13 AM

View PostMister D, on 15 April 2015 - 05:39 PM, said:

That's what you think ;)

I'd be down for 1v1s against you in a Firestarter if you think otherwise, I need the practice for that atm.

Edited by Krivvan, 16 April 2015 - 12:15 AM.

#75 Matthew Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 891 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 16 April 2015 - 02:25 AM

Now I admit, I'm only average at best. It feels like Tier 3 is appropriate as long as you do not run AC10/20. With AC10/20 (especially 20) however, they feel more like Tier 4 or 5 due to the sacrifices necessary.

After 10 days of playing urbies, I'm generally still struggling to feel comfortable with it, though not being singled out every time anymore feels good. Going with pulse lasers seems the most viable of everything I have tried. It is very peekaboo and popsnip friendly. Success with smaller engines is very dependent on maps as well (It is spectacular in Mining Colony.)

I'm still of opinion it needs good accel/decel/twist rate quirks at the very least in consideration of players intending to run at the lower ranges of engine rating. Being able to bind torso twisting to keys would be helpful as well. It also feels safe to say that improving weapon quirks beyond AC10/20/LB10 is probably not necessary.

Edited by Matthew Ace, 16 April 2015 - 02:27 AM.

#76 Macksheen

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationNorth Cackalacky

Posted 16 April 2015 - 06:00 AM

I am thoroughly enjoying the Urbie. It's not on the same level as the truly great mechs, but the thing is more beastly than most give it credit for and it can face-hug like a champ.

A bit of this ...
Posted Image

Mixed with this:
Posted Image

#77 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 06:34 AM

View PostMacksheen, on 16 April 2015 - 06:00 AM, said:

I am thoroughly enjoying the Urbie. It's not on the same level as the truly great mechs, but the thing is more beastly than most give it credit for and it can face-hug like a champ.

A bit of this ...
Posted Image

Mixed with this:
Posted Image

don't forget to add a metric ton of:
Posted Image

#78 S13gtastic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Roughneck
  • The Roughneck
  • 119 posts
  • LocationBig Sky

Posted 16 April 2015 - 08:15 AM

Pillaged this from another thread had to share it here XD

Posted Image

#79 Mavairo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 08:46 AM

I've been iced by an urbie, twice since it's release.

Hey that's better than a light mech typically does. So good job PGI, and whatever ******** have iced me in the urbie.

#80 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 08:57 AM

View PostS13gtastic, on 16 April 2015 - 08:15 AM, said:

Pillaged this from another thread had to share it here XD

Posted Image

appropriate.....since I drew it, lol