92 replies to this topic

#21 Anjian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 12:57 AM

View Postoldradagast, on 14 April 2015 - 04:02 PM, said:

With the painful exception of the "pro-seal clubbing" players in the CW forum, I have to say that this community overall is pretty good. Sure, now and then you'll run into idiots, teamkillers, or trolls who can't keep their mouth shut, but they are so rare that you tend to remember them for exactly that reason.

If you think this community is bad, you haven't seen the real rotten underbelly of the internet.

A year or so back, I played ONE game of Dota 2 on my brother-in-law's account. He warned his team that he was letting me play my first game. Instantly, the VoIP filled with rage and profanity. Several people hoped "that somebody would kill me" while the rest was little better than the screams of waste-flinging monkeys. When we turned off the voice, they continued ranting on the text chat. In the end, we won and I wasn't the worst player in the game. And yet, oddly, I have zero interest in playing that game again since I got in one game more abuse than I've gotten in 2+ years of playing MWO.

You probably never played high tier World of Tanks yet.

#22 Purger of Man

• PipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 86 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 01:30 AM

Another made deaf due to the insensitivity of others, these breaks in cohesion makes pugging that much more difficult since these individuals cannot read constructive plans/suggestions during the course of play. Not all is lost though, hopefully others will lead by example and stand up to or ignore these naysayers whom cannot grasp that this burden they put onto others only weighs them down that much more.

#23 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 April 2015 - 01:35 AM

The attitude of this playerbase has always been an issue.

I remember getting TKed based on my name alone back with the operation 24 the first time lol

#24 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 01:56 AM

Interesting post there op.....kinda agree with some of it BUT.....

We here in modern times, have a very coddling attitude towards each other. No one can say mean thing lest someone's feelings get hurt.
People here on this thread ridicule the rager, it's always their fault right? Except it isn't always. You council understanding of others, yet won't extend that to the rager. People never try to understand WHY that person is mad at you. They could have had a bad day, and it's a steam release or you could have done something to make them mad at you. You might think you haven't, but you may well have blocked them or left them supportless, if you have it is your fault.
If you are experiencing verbal thrown at you most games, it may be a good idea to look at what you are doing-as your behaviour might be triggering it after all.
Peeps here have said it's "never their fault" (the rager) but the same applies to the coddled.
It's never your fault someone is mad at you is it?

#25 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,981 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 April 2015 - 02:11 AM

I think alot of the anger and frustration can be placed on the economy & MM gamble with the Pub que.

When you get thrown into games over and over again where the only strategy is who can hold W the longest, or comes down to which team has the most ECM or Clan mechs winning vs the team with the least = mostly losing, its frustrating.

So if you're on the losing end, you not only get the frustration of losing that match, but getting totally shafted on Cbills.
No wonder people are pissing and moaning all the time.

#26 Ialdabaoth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 329 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 02:13 AM

View PostQuantumButler, on 14 April 2015 - 11:10 PM, said:

I'm sorry, if half the team can't manage to break 100 damage then they deserve all the ridicule heaped on them.

Or if a medium/light lance suicides into the enemy team in the first 50 seconds of the game, that's a good one too.

Out of curiosity, in what model of human psychology does heaping ridicule on someone new cause them to try harder to improve, rather than deciding that your criticism was unfair and develop an adversion to learning?

#27 MechWarrior3671771

• 2,021 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 15 April 2015 - 02:52 AM

You just have to laugh at them and pity them. My current favorite is the "you cowards!" taunt from guys who pushed without telling anyone. What are we afraid of again? Screen glare? Carpal tunnel from too much mouse? High cholesterol from all the coke and chips we consume while sitting on our fat butts for hours on end?

It's a video game. For entertainment. If you are frothing at your computer monitor, you're doing it wrong :)

#28 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 03:12 AM

View PostAnjian, on 15 April 2015 - 12:57 AM, said:

You probably never played high tier World of Tanks yet.

Actually, I haven't played that, but I stand by what I say: the MWO community is overall quite nice compared to the rage-filled emotionally stunted children that clutter up most of the internet gaming world.

#29 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 15 April 2015 - 03:33 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 14 April 2015 - 02:56 PM, said:

You don't need to be worried. Everything will be alright in time. Years in the future, mankind will have gradually grown more wise and there will be less abuse on the internet. It's still fairly new to us. But right now, it's pretty harsh. And sensitive people, like me, should learn to either switch of the chat when they feel the toxicity is too much to handle, or just grow thicker skin and deal with it.

You may think I'm just drinking the internet gamer kool-aid. If you think so, click this spoiler.

Spoiler

Don't know about you Al, I joined my first Forum in Dec of 2001. Thats almost 14 years ago. What I've seen is in 14 years, the maturity level of forum members have regressed not progressed. Then again in teh early days of the internet... not as many children were on line. Less folks were trying to be cool and edgy. If you think the chat here(and in game) is pretty harsh... well you have no idea what harsh looks like in text. You really don't.

(Not a You specifically Al, as usual you in general)

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 15 April 2015 - 03:38 AM.

#30 Piney II

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 03:41 AM

I guess I'm jaded to the point of not even hearing or considering the neck beard background noise. I'll mute them on VOIP and ignore them in text.

#31 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 15 April 2015 - 03:45 AM

View PostPiney, on 15 April 2015 - 03:41 AM, said:

I guess I'm jaded to the point of not even hearing or considering the neck beard background noise. I'll mute them on VOIP and ignore them in text.

I personally chuckle at the amateur nature of teh banter. If swearing and racial slurs is all you have to work with you really should go back and learn how to rage with feeling and emotion.

#32 Roadbuster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,437 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 15 April 2015 - 03:59 AM

View PostIaldabaoth, on 15 April 2015 - 02:13 AM, said:

Out of curiosity, in what model of human psychology does heaping ridicule on someone new cause them to try harder to improve, rather than deciding that your criticism was unfair and develop an adversion to learning?

How are these people going to survive in our modern economy?
Real life isn't that nice and nobody will take your hand and carry you through life.
Even if, from a psychological aspect, you're right, the harsh reality is different.

I never blame people for low damage, because it can happen sometimes and it happens to me too.
But I still think "wth?" when seeing multiple mechs with less than 50 dmg.

And while it's nice to have new players, I don't expect much from them. But why are they matched against teams of veteran players and not together with them?

Giving advice seems to be a bad thing too.
For example: While spectating a King Crab pilot, I asked him to try shooting his AC20s one after another to prevent ghost heat, after watching him shut down 3 times because he kept firing them together.
I was speechless after the extreme hostile answer I got (it involved my mother and lot's of di*** and sh**).

However.
Overall, I agree that the MWO community is more mature and alot less toxic than many others.

Edited by Roadbuster, 15 April 2015 - 04:08 AM.

#33 Widowmaker1981

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 15 April 2015 - 04:12 AM

View PostNaelbis, on 14 April 2015 - 03:16 PM, said:

I rage at people that think running around the map in a circle and leaving your assaults to get ganked in the first 2 minutes is smart play..

While NASCAR is annoying, especially if you're in a slow assault, you have to understand why it happens - its your teams faster mechs trying to catch the other teams slower, more powerful mechs at the back and gank them before they can affect the match. The team that 'wins' at this will almost always win the match - take out two Dires for no real damage and youve almost won right there - if it works it IS smart tactics, and its the team that 'loses' at it that complains about the idiocy. Trust me, i know how annoying it is *looks sadly at his dusty underused Dire Wolves* but i see why it happens as well.

#34 Graves24

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 71 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 04:30 AM

It is very rare for me to see players be negative. I play about 10-20 games a day since I picked up the game a week ago again.

MWO has a very calm community.

Well anyway, I think MMO and Online game communites have insanly improved over the last two years in general. Either that or my emotional skin is already thicker than steel.

Im going out of everyones way and say that the OP is bored with the community and tries to ignite some action with this thread once again. Anyone who actively plays the game knows that there is close to 0 hate going on. Some frustration, sure, everyone vents once in a while, but you won't find a more mature community.

The truth is the community is boring. (in a good way ;))

See you in battle

Edited by Graves24, 15 April 2015 - 04:59 AM.

#35 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 15 April 2015 - 05:38 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 15 April 2015 - 03:33 AM, said:

Don't know about you Al, I joined my first Forum in Dec of 2001. Thats almost 14 years ago. What I've seen is in 14 years, the maturity level of forum members have regressed not progressed. Then again in teh early days of the internet... not as many children were on line. Less folks were trying to be cool and edgy. If you think the chat here(and in game) is pretty harsh... well you have no idea what harsh looks like in text. You really don't.
(Not a You specifically Al, as usual you in general)

I meant in an evolutionary perspective, or even specific to our modern civilization. I think people who are worried about the future of mankind would benefit from taking a longer perspective, e.g. hundreds or thousands of years, and see how far we've come. In a sense, we're a very young civilization and the internet is fairly new to us. In a thousand years from now, I predict the internet will be a nicer place, if anything like the current internet still exists.

Untill then, it's best to just be patient and stay away from places one finds offensive, I think.

I didn't really mean to start a philosophical discussion, so I'll leave it at that :)

#36 Cruxs

• PipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 93 posts
  • LocationMy parents basment.

Posted 15 April 2015 - 06:49 AM

I love how the OP writes a whole post about people swearing on comms and decrying the attitude of the player base. Then goes on to mock peoples deity and belief systems that he doesn't subscribe to. Stay classy OP. :blink:

#37 Almond Brown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 07:33 AM

I prefer to listen to those who Rant and Rave at their Monitors, with their Comm's turned off. Makes for better theater. LOL!

And I totally agree with the premise that we remember them because they are a rarity.

Who remembers those who play to win and take responsibility for their own actions? My Friends List remembers them. That is who. ;)

#38 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 15 April 2015 - 07:39 AM

When half your team within the first two minutes of the match, it is their fault...

#39 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 15 April 2015 - 08:07 AM

View PostYeOlWardog, on 15 April 2015 - 06:59 AM, said:

[Redacted]

So rant to yourself, not like anyone is going to listen to your ranting and raving at them... All it's going to do, is put them of the defensive, and make them less likely to listen to you.

Do I get mad at some of the antics I see in MWO, yes. Do I type/voice those thoughts to the people in game? No, as I know it will do me no good, and only make me looks like an arse hat, that is too immature to really be playing this game with other people.

#40 Apnu

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,083 posts
  • LocationMidWest

Posted 15 April 2015 - 08:45 AM

View PostRoadbuster, on 15 April 2015 - 03:59 AM, said:

I never blame people for low damage, because it can happen sometimes and it happens to me too.
But I still think "wth?" when seeing multiple mechs with less than 50 dmg.

I see this a lot, and I usually keep it to myself, but I do stare at the end match screen looking at stats for a little bit. While I don't mind newbies, I like them in fact, I'm astonished to see big expensive assaults posting >40 match scores. Last night we lost a match 12-6, so it wasn't a roll. I was running a TBT-5N and had a 85 match score. Our assault lance, DWF, WHK, KGC and TBR, each put in less than 35 score. Two of them, combined, had a score about 20. I don't recall NASCAR in that match, we were all together most of the game, so I was left to wonder what the hell they were doing.

If the assaults can't leverage their damage potential, the match is probably a loss.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users