#21 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 16 April 2015 - 04:40 PM

View Postaniviron, on 16 April 2015 - 03:43 PM, said:

So out of curiosity, what's been going on with the MWO patching process that, well, pretty much every single .pak file in my MWO directory is mismatched with what it should be? My install is a couple years old but patched up to date, so I expected some issues, but I wasn't expecting my entire game to be out of synch with the official files.

Go figure.

TBH, the patching process tends to cause file size inconsistencies between the resultant patch and the original file (from a straight redownloading via the MWO Repair Tool).

Essentially, my patching day ritual ends up being deleting all the modified patch pak files after patching, and redownloading those files from scratch.

This is like the only way I get the game never to eff itself on a patch day... while all the patch weirdness I've seen in the forums I've managed to avoid (since doing it - because I had experienced all these terrible things previously). At this point, I generally don't trust the process because the results are inconsistent and doing it the way I'm doing is grossly inefficient, but I get more reliable results.

Sad, but true.

Edited by Deathlike, 16 April 2015 - 04:40 PM.

#22 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,246 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 16 April 2015 - 04:41 PM

Could anyone say if it was on the order of a few hundred megs or if it was over a gigabyte of files downloaded?

#23 Krist Smith

Senior Engineer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 629 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 04:47 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 16 April 2015 - 04:28 PM, said:

How much data should we expect to download? I am on a data plan but at certain times I can download for free, just wondering if I need to plan for that or can just go for it whenever.

Could be anywhere from 3-6 GB.

If you're more concerned about data download rather than a prolonged patch on Tuesday, then maybe you could wait it out. Any mismatched files that have to be patched will be downloaded fresh (the same process as running the repair tool right now), but it might not be quite as many files. However, the next time you run the repair tool or one of the unrepaired files gets updated, you will have to download them at that time. It's not advised, but if you're ok with the next couple of patches taking much longer than usual and getting hit with downloads at that time, you can do this. If you do this, however, I would strenuously advise you to never ever shut down the patcher while it's repairing on patch day. Otherwise you will definitely need to run the repair tool.

My advice would be to try to run the repair during one of your free times and not worry about it when the patch drops.

View PostDeathlike, on 16 April 2015 - 04:40 PM, said:

Go figure.

TBH, the patching process tends to cause file size inconsistencies between the resultant patch and the original file (from a straight redownloading via the MWO Repair Tool).

Essentially, my patching day ritual ends up being deleting all the modified patch pak files after patching, and redownloading those files from scratch.

This is like the only way I get the game never to eff itself on a patch day... while all the patch weirdness I've seen in the forums I've managed to avoid (since doing it - because I had experienced all these terrible things previously). At this point, I generally don't trust the process because the results are inconsistent and doing it the way I'm doing is grossly inefficient, but I get more reliable results.

Sad, but true.

Well, the new patching process should take care of this for you. As I've mentioned in other posts, stability is one of the reasons why we're updating the patch process. Now that we're patching the pak files as a whole, the end result should be identical to the files you'd get from the repair tool.

#24 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,246 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 16 April 2015 - 05:03 PM

View PostKrist Smith, on 16 April 2015 - 04:47 PM, said:

Could be anywhere from 3-6 GB.

If you're more concerned about data download rather than a prolonged patch on Tuesday, then maybe you could wait it out. Any mismatched files that have to be patched will be downloaded fresh (the same process as running the repair tool right now), but it might not be quite as many files. However, the next time you run the repair tool or one of the unrepaired files gets updated, you will have to download them at that time. It's not advised, but if you're ok with the next couple of patches taking much longer than usual and getting hit with downloads at that time, you can do this. If you do this, however, I would strenuously advise you to never ever shut down the patcher while it's repairing on patch day. Otherwise you will definitely need to run the repair tool.

My advice would be to try to run the repair during one of your free times and not worry about it when the patch drops.

Perfect, thank you for the info! Very helpful.

#25 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 05:25 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 16 April 2015 - 05:03 PM, said:

Perfect, thank you for the info! Very helpful.

Just take note it may take 2-3 hours to redownload everything.

#26 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 16 April 2015 - 05:27 PM

View PostKrist Smith, on 16 April 2015 - 04:47 PM, said:

Well, the new patching process should take care of this for you. As I've mentioned in other posts, stability is one of the reasons why we're updating the patch process. Now that we're patching the pak files as a whole, the end result should be identical to the files you'd get from the repair tool.

I'm sure it's doing it correctly as I had to correct stability on my own machine (bad RAM was corrupting stuff... even if it is a bit) and once I stabilized, it was working better.

Although, I kinda feel that part of the mismatched filesizes is not necessarily a problem, but I personally felt that the patching process altered game stability through the game's internal decompression process (like, the game would occasionally crash with the altered pak file)... once I used the server's file, it seemed to improve stability a lot more.

I ran like 7-Zip's archive tests and it appears on the surface that's nothing's wrong necessarily (I believe the files end up being the same), but it doesn't "feel stable" through the patching process and when run by the game.

Edited by Deathlike, 16 April 2015 - 05:28 PM.

#27 RjBass3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 635 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationKansas City MO.

Posted 16 April 2015 - 07:49 PM

I just ran the repair tool based off of the suggestion to do so before the next patch. It downloaded fast and repaired fast. I thought for sure it was going to take a couple hours from the sounds of it. Nope, it was fast and easy.

#28 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 12:33 AM

View PostKrist Smith, on 16 April 2015 - 04:24 PM, said:

I explain it in a post in this thread:
http://mwomercs.com/...ir-tool-update/

Well thanks for the heads-up! That thread was an interesting read, and did answer my question.

Any chance the dev tracker is coming back one of these days? I miss out on a lot of good posts now that the old one is gone. :[

#29 Thomas G Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNorth Germany

Posted 17 April 2015 - 01:27 AM

Thanks for the heads up I will do this today, it is things like this that do make all the difference in customer service, keep it up guys.

#30 Insects

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 995 posts
  • Locationstraya

Posted 17 April 2015 - 02:34 AM

Get it done while server load is low. If you wait until patch day it will end up being slow and painful.

#31 Sky Hawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • LocationDeep Periphery, aka Hungary

Posted 17 April 2015 - 03:25 AM

My other game calls this pre-patch... anyway.. This took about just 2 hours..

Now, I can just hope, that next week, the servers won't blow up, because... Ye,.... it is still MWO and .. .. you know... ...

Edited by Sky Hawk, 17 April 2015 - 03:25 AM.

#32 sneeking

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,586 posts
  • Locationwest OZ

Posted 17 April 2015 - 03:46 AM

Why didn't you just tell us to do a reinstall ?

It appears to me that is what repair tool is doing anyway.

Probably would of been faster to uninstall remove all residual files do registry clean a system restart and just install mwo from scratch.

Its been running some 7 hours now.

Edited by sneeking, 17 April 2015 - 03:48 AM.

#33 Ductus Hase

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 17 April 2015 - 04:31 AM

I launched the Repair Tool several times - there is always an Error after I order the tool to "fix problems".

I suppose I have to wait for the 21st. <_<

#34 Zionkan

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 05:38 AM

Im having issues with the repair tool, it doesent respond while scanning logfiles. Win7 64 bit, Game stored on SSD.

#35 Foxhound 73

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 18 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 April 2015 - 09:14 AM

This is a joke, right ? I am downloading the object.pak with gigantic 100KB/s and this is not the first file where my download speed dropped into rediculousness ...

#36 Alexander Garden

Producer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 09:49 AM

View PostFoxhound 73, on 17 April 2015 - 09:14 AM, said:

This is a joke, right ? I am downloading the object.pak with gigantic 100KB/s and this is not the first file where my download speed dropped into rediculousness ...

Slow download speeds during the patch process can often be improved with the following method:
  • Through your Start Menu, search for and run Internet Options
  • Click the 'Connections' tab
  • Click the 'LAN Settings' button
  • De-select the 'Automatically detect settings' box

View PostZionkan, on 17 April 2015 - 05:38 AM, said:

Im having issues with the repair tool, it doesent respond while scanning logfiles. Win7 64 bit, Game stored on SSD.

This occurs during the initial scan, rather than that 'fix errors' process?
Try right-clicking on the Tool and selecting 'Run As Administrator'.
Check to see if you might be running low on space in that SSD.
If you haven't done so already, please also submit a ticket to technical@mwomercs.com with the subject heading "Repair Tool hang".

View PostDuctus Hase, on 17 April 2015 - 04:31 AM, said:

I launched the Repair Tool several times - there is always an Error after I order the tool to "fix problems". I suppose I have to wait for the 21st. <_<

Is it reporting additional file mismatches with every follow-up scan, or are you receiving an error at the fix step itself?

#37 Alexander Garden

Producer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 10:19 AM

Just want to remind everyone before the weekend that I do strongly recommend a run of the Repair Tool prior to April 21st.

Getting the jump on it now will save some potential frustration and time on patch day.

#38 Sonny Black

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 445 posts
  • LocationThe Motion Lounge

Posted 17 April 2015 - 10:38 AM

24 (expletive expletive expletive deleted) hours. and I'm still downloading! :angry:

#39 Foxhound 73

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 18 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 April 2015 - 11:07 AM

You good Sirs at PGI have some serious problem with the update server. After 4 hours and download speed of 50 KB/s at the end I quit and unistalled to do a fresh new installation. Normaly I got 2-3 MB/s when I did a completly new download. Now I am at 500 KB, which is 10 times faster than the repair tool but still 4-6 times slower than normal. Plz check this.

#40 Krist Smith

Senior Engineer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 629 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 11:29 AM

View PostDuctus Hase, on 17 April 2015 - 04:31 AM, said:

I launched the Repair Tool several times - there is always an Error after I order the tool to "fix problems".

I suppose I have to wait for the 21st. <_<

Are you, by any chance, running XP?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users