Clan And Random Faction Spawn Camping

11 replies to this topic

#1 jeredmann8

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 06:39 PM

ok let me get this on the line. first today i was playing just a random faction battle and guess what happpes we get clanned by timberwolfs and get spawn camped.same thing happend in my last game i got spawn camped. right when i would spawn in i would imediatly die and get killed over and over till i was dead. the developers need to fix this problem.1. put invisable walls around a spawn area or make it say out of bounds on an enemy mech screen.2 if any playes (if they dont put up a wall) make them get kicked for inactivity3. FIX THE TEAM BALANCING ITS NOT FAIR FOR 9 AGGENST 12. we were slaughterd and we never got out of spawn and wernt givin a chance to fight so just fix it because its realy getting on peoples nervs and on mine. :angry:

Edited by jeredmann8, 15 April 2015 - 06:45 PM.

#2 jeredmann8

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 06:51 PM

any on who agrees say i in the reply

#3 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 06:53 PM

Well, not the most suitable place to post this.

Some tips: If you time your arrivals with more space from the other allies, you'll spam in more dropships with more guns to keep the enemies at bay. Though if you got to this point in the first place there was a grave tactical error on your part.

Now, that said I do believe that the dropships should be more dynamic in where they deliver troops. There should be at least a set number of positions (minimum of 3 different positions per lance) that each dropship could choose, with the obvious intention of choosing the one farthest away from the enemy force.

The missions always start 12 versus 12.
If you were 9 versus 12, then clearly 3 teammates completely abandoned you which may be what put you to where you were. When abandoned, that's it, you've been abandoned.
Also if the game kicked players for inactivity, you'd probably be 9 versus 12 again, or worse.

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 06:58 PM

Also, I would highly recommend playing IS versus IS. You'll find more pug-only matches there. Those playing in Clan factions are those bored of the IS or who have "done all that before", and thus the most experienced players tend to be found on the Clan factions, and worse, the most organized groups are also found on the Clan factions. This is because Clans start with little territory and so it is a challenge to take territory. And what does a challenge do to players? It gets them to organize for conquest.

More often than not against the Clan factions you will be facing a fully organized unit of 8 to 12 players, and everyone in communication. If you're not similarly equipped, I don't suggest taking them on. Especially since the IS needs to get in close to bring their Front Loaded Damage weapons to bare, as the Clan range superiority will basically screw you if you aren't organized.

When opposing the Clans, "all factions" of the IS can participate. Meaning you've got maybe 2 people from Liao, 3 Davion, 4 Steiner, 2 Marik, 1 Kurita. None of them are talking to each other, none of them fight the same way, and now they're all pit up against a Clan force where the mechs are designed for a blitzkrieg (lightning war, blind rush). You're essentially screwed.

Blitzkriegs are covered in Number 1 on Koniving's Tactical Tips. Includes known counters.

Edited by Koniving, 15 April 2015 - 07:04 PM.

#5 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 15 April 2015 - 06:58 PM

That hurt my brain.

#6 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 April 2015 - 07:15 PM

As Koniving said in his first post,

... if you get to the point where you're being spawncamped, then you already made a grave tactical error. Spawncamping can be prevented, you simply need to understand how it happens and what can be done to keep it from happening by distributing your forces appropriately.

#7 Ace Selin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 15 April 2015 - 08:47 PM

Whilst i agree, i had a game where my spawn was camped and i mentioned it in chat that the team needed to push the enemies from C2 or the team at least needed to fight there so the guys dropping didnt get instakilled. The rest of the PUGs didnt want to help push into C2 because they had a higher chance of dying so preferred to fight/snipe from distance, not realising or caring that by allowing the others to get spawn killed it greatly decreased any chance of a turnarround/win and would lead to their quicker deaths later on - PUGs though so you gotta live with it.

Though making the spawn points choose-able by the mech pilot dropping, would be a great thing!

#8 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 15 April 2015 - 10:49 PM

So, spawncamping happens because it is tactically sound to split your attacks and fight smaller numbers of mechs with larger numbers on your side. This most often happens when one side gives up the field and retreats past their own spawn point, thus inviting the enemy to the spawn camp, or due to a concerted push against a understrength unit. Such as if half the team retreats, leaving only six mechs to try and stop a push into the spawn camp.

So, if you see your team being camped, attack aggressively, preferably in force. You can time this to the arrival of the dropship, so as to draw fire from your incoming allies, or use them as decoys to fire upon distracted enemies.

Personally, if I have a mech left once someone being camped has lost all their's, I believe I have failed in my duty as a teammate.

~Leone, Raid Leader of the Crimson Hand.

Edited by Leone, 15 April 2015 - 10:49 PM.

#9 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 01:13 AM

The problem is not spawn camping, it is that there is no mechanic for conceding a game.

By the time the enemy has control of your drop zones, the game has already been completely lost, and any sane MechWarrior would tell the dropship pilot to take them out of there. Doing something about the possibility to kill mechs in their drop zones will not turn those losses into wins. The possibility to concede the game once it has obviously been lost would at least make it faster to get to a new fight.

The commander can by the way move people between lances, so if one lance's drop zone is being farmed, he can try to move the dead player to a lance that drops in another zone.

Edited by Gagis, 16 April 2015 - 01:15 AM.

#10 Banditman

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationThe Templars

Posted 16 April 2015 - 04:18 AM

When you look at the distance between opposing drop zones, it's really pretty ludicrous to think that your drop zone has any opportunity to be camped. I've seen it done, in fact, I've been on teams that managed to do it. It's not a case where your opponent sets out from the beginning with the plan of "We're going to camp their drop zone". However, if the opponents give you an opportunity to create a manpower or firepower advantage, you'd be foolish not to capitalize on that opportunity.

So yes, if you're getting camped, your team has made a grave mistake somewhere.

#11 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 11:22 AM

View PostGagis, on 16 April 2015 - 01:13 AM, said:

The commander can by the way move people between lances, so if one lance's drop zone is being farmed, he can try to move the dead player to a lance that drops in another zone.

Lance cycling is a very rare but effective tactic for countering spawn camps. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has thought of it.

I have, exactly once, successfully made every single player on the team spawn on the exact same point. They weren't happy at first, because rather than giving them distance from the enemy I dropped them as close as possible to the 'snipers' who, with so many targets and the dropship spam on the location, were basically slaughtered. With them gone, the high PP FLD went with them, and the swarming brawlers were much easier to deal with after we went about systematically legging them.

We regained our ground and dug our swords into the enemy base, only for a clock to tell us it was time for our break. :( We lost by default.

#12 Helaton

• PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationStar Captain, Star Wolves

Posted 17 April 2015 - 10:15 AM

We've had this happen to us on the Clan side too. Except replace 'Timberwolf' with 'Stalker' for IS mechs. These are the 2 heavy flavors for both sides of the firing line.

Our answer is the same, use Company command to reallocate the groups. (Although drops at times aren't organized by lance. You may drop with people outside your lance.)

For quite a few of the dropsites, it doesn't matter where you drop, you're exposed or the new spot is just a torso twist away. (Boreal, Sulfurous, Taiga etc.)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users