401 replies to this topic

#381 MookieDog

• PipPipPip
  • Gunjin
  • Gunjin
  • 93 posts
  • LocationDC

Posted 17 October 2016 - 05:59 PM

I will keep it at three: The PPC quirks, the mech size increase, and the upcoming nerf to IS UAC's.

PPC and ERPPC velocity is a complete waste. 5% heat reduction for a ERPPC is terribad. With -5% energy generation ERPPC/PPC are a death sentence. In the debut video both Devs dropped the PPC and installed pulse lasers and gauss rifles, that was a warning.

The size increase for IS mechs basically make the Marauder, Black Knight, Grasshopper (taller than a Battlemaster) pretty much unplayable. The Marauder was decent when it first came out, now its a joke. Too few hard points for weapons, too big to take advantage for cover, and the quirks are honestly, piss poor. On metamechs it should easily be T4 or T5. While Locust's got smaller and even more annoying, the Catapult, was basically a "ho hum" mech to begin with.. lose both "ears" and you are basically a stick, unlike the Nova or Myst Lynx which both got massive size reductions and smaller hit boxes. So while not a "quirk" the size increase for most IS mechs, really hurt.

Patch 1.4.85: Jagermech JM6-DD:UAC Jam Chance incresased to -20% from -30%.
The Dragon went from 30-40%: it carries 1 UAC opposed to the Jagermech which carries 3. King Crab 4, with no UAC quirk only 10% ballistic cool down.. no UAC % jam chance. Four UAC's on a Night Gyr, Kodiak, 4 DireWolf, 6. (Warhawk A, Gargoyle C, Summoner C -30%). The jam chance quirk is right up there too.

Basically just more nails in the IS coffin.

#382 Kaptain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,284 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 18 October 2016 - 01:18 PM

View PostMookieDog, on 17 October 2016 - 05:59 PM, said:

The size increase for IS mechs basically make the Marauder, Black Knight, Grasshopper (taller than a Battlemaster) pretty much unplayable. The Marauder was decent when it first came out, now its a joke.

I assure you the Marauder is not unplayable. I'm playing mine with XLs in T1 and doing great in them, just sayin.

Edit: also really enjoying my grasshopper still.

Happy to share some builds if you like.

Edited by Kaptain, 18 October 2016 - 01:39 PM.

#383 radiv

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 121 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 11:56 PM

kodiak 3 structure quirks...

#384 a gaijin

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationUS Naval Base, Yokosuka, Japan

Posted 22 October 2016 - 07:18 AM

All weapon system velocity, range, and damage (if that exists) quirks got to go in the garbage.

Take the quickest velocity a weapon system has with its best quirk, and just make that the weapon's velocity regardless of which ever mech it's on.
Do the same thing for range.

#385 SlightlyMobileTurret

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Lance Corporal
  • 718 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 01:19 AM

I will keep it at three: The PPC quirks, the mech size increase, and the upcoming nerf to IS UAC's.

PPC and ERPPC velocity is a complete waste. 5% heat reduction for a ERPPC is terribad. With -5% energy generation ERPPC/PPC are a death sentence. In the debut video both Devs dropped the PPC and installed pulse lasers and gauss rifles, that was a warning.

The size increase for IS mechs basically make the Marauder, Black Knight, Grasshopper (taller than a Battlemaster) pretty much unplayable. The Marauder was decent when it first came out, now its a joke. Too few hard points for weapons, too big to take advantage for cover, and the quirks are honestly, piss poor. On metamechs it should easily be T4 or T5. While Locust's got smaller and even more annoying, the Catapult, was basically a "ho hum" mech to begin with.. lose both "ears" and you are basically a stick, unlike the Nova or Myst Lynx which both got massive size reductions and smaller hit boxes. So while not a "quirk" the size increase for most IS mechs, really hurt.

Patch 1.4.85: Jagermech JM6-DD:UAC Jam Chance incresased to -20% from -30%.
The Dragon went from 30-40%: it carries 1 UAC opposed to the Jagermech which carries 3. King Crab 4, with no UAC quirk only 10% ballistic cool down.. no UAC % jam chance. Four UAC's on a Night Gyr, Kodiak, 4 DireWolf, 6. (Warhawk A, Gargoyle C, Summoner C -30%). The jam chance quirk is right up there too.

Basically just more nails in the IS coffin.

MAD is still okay. GHR is T1, BLK-KNT is T2. They didn't get killed like IS 35 tonners (except Oxide, which sorta barely survives)

Jam chance -30% (or -40% or -20%) are a percentage in a 15% Jam chance. You go from a Jam chance of 10.5% to 12% with this nerf. Significant? Not really.

#386 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 01:54 AM

Wish the narc quirk for the Trebuchet TBT-7M was 100% not 100 meters.
pLeSaE
Posted Image

#387 Blind Baku

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 286 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 01:23 PM

PPC and ERPPC velocity is a complete waste.

This statement is not correct, unless you mean all PPC's should have their native velocity boosted to match those of the quirked variety.

My least favorite quirks are all the quirks on the Phoenix Hawks... at least the weapon quirks. It would have been a useful way to patch a fail mech, but instead the quirks are all over the place and seemingly encourage LOAR/stock builds, which are 9 times out of 10, terrible.

#388 CraneArmy

• PipPipPip
  • WC 2017 Participant
  • WC 2017 Participant
  • 95 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 07:31 PM

I think the quirk system is unnecessary.

Its horribly confusing to new players, which I say from personal experience, even as a veteran of mechwarrior 2+ and mech commander games. Instead of making IS mechs viable weapon quirks pigeonhole most IS mechs into a narrow gap of viability. I understand from the developers perspective this is probably seen as advantageous, an important differentiating factor between otherwise strikingly similar mechs but it makes individual mechs more shallow.

Broadly I would prefer a much simpler approach wouldnt it be simpler, more fun and be entirely more sensical to have different weight restrictions for IS and Clan and leave it at that? I know group queue would be the hardest to clearify a tonnage tax (or rebate for IS), but it would take a lot less screen real estate and mental math than the current quirk system and minimizes buyers remorse for new players that bought a mech and didnt understand quirks.

My list of least favorite quirks.
1) Why do kodiak's need structure quirks? I think its probably generous to say that only half of clan drop decks contain a kodiak. There is a good reason the same cannot be said about dire wolves, king crabs maulers or atlases. Its the head height mounted weapons, which allow this mech to pour out continuous cockpit shaking suppressing damage with 80% hard cover.

When this mech came out people complained about the CT hitbox because they were playing like an atlas and dieing like any effective atlas pilot must die... in the open with complete exposure all guns blazing with the override flipped. But the kodiak pilot need not be exposed to fight, and almost always has longer effective range than an atlas. If it is exposed it can more quickly move into cover, and in the case of the spirit bear, it will do it faster than most IS heavies.
KDK-3 is the best mech in the game and I dont think you will find many that disagree.

thats it.

#389 Juda Ben Hur

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 03:13 PM

you want to know my least fav quirk?.... the fact that pgi has a report cheaters function yet NOTHING is ever done about the numerous crit bot users.... armor modders..... heat haxors.... and yes even the old school aim bot usage that has taken what could be the best FPS / strat game ever and placed it firmly in the realm of if i dont ahve anything else to do ill play ..... GUYS quit trying to bribe players with silly giveaways.... "events" and "new mechs" etc.... IF you want the player base to increase... get rid of the cheaters that run rampant in game..... IF you either cannot, do not know how or just dont GAF then turn that duty over to say i dunn... VAC or punkbuster or some other anti cheat program / service. I know people will say it aint possible to hack the game.. PUHLEESE any software can be hacked / manipulated any server can be fed incorrect information to get it to do what you want.... and YES PGI I have sent you guys multiple fraps.... but yet I still see blatant cheaters running amok in game... SO your lack of ..... ability .... concern.... or just plain DGAF is my biggest and least fav quirk.

#390 Sleepy Panda

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 01:25 AM

My least favorite quirk right now is the Pirahna and how they are obviously stilted. I just played a match where 1 Pirahna came in and killed 6 of us, SIX! It was in our own drop zone. Now you can't tell me that's ridiculous. So unless the Inner Sphere is going to get something comparable, you need to scale back the number of machine guns that mech can pack. There is nothing that can counter it on the IS side. Also, I don't think it should be able to have that much armor.

Unless you're only goal is to sell those things and make all of us defect to the Clan side.

Hates #Pirahna

View PostJuda Ben Hur, on 29 January 2018 - 03:13 PM, said:

you want to know my least fav quirk?.... the fact that pgi has a report cheaters function yet NOTHING is ever done about the numerous crit bot users.... armor modders..... heat haxors.... and yes even the old school aim bot usage that has taken what could be the best FPS / strat game ever and placed it firmly in the realm of if i dont ahve anything else to do ill play ..... GUYS quit trying to bribe players with silly giveaways.... "events" and "new mechs" etc.... IF you want the player base to increase... get rid of the cheaters that run rampant in game..... IF you either cannot, do not know how or just dont GAF then turn that duty over to say i dunn... VAC or punkbuster or some other anti cheat program / service. I know people will say it aint possible to hack the game.. PUHLEESE any software can be hacked / manipulated any server can be fed incorrect information to get it to do what you want.... and YES PGI I have sent you guys multiple fraps.... but yet I still see blatant cheaters running amok in game... SO your lack of ..... ability .... concern.... or just plain DGAF is my biggest and least fav quirk.

You nailed it on the head. Some of the top teams use cheats. It's ridiculous they can ALPHA kill me the second I pop over a mountain. This is why I'm looking at other games to play and spend my #money on.

#391 Havyek

• Mercenary Rank 3
  • 1,349 posts
  • LocationBarrie, ON

Posted 11 February 2018 - 05:52 PM

All quirks need to go.

If a chassis is so bad that it needs quirks to be made viable, then it need to be rescaled, hardpoints moved, or hitboxes redesigned.

Players should be deciding what 'Mechs to take and how to arm them, not PGI.

#392 VXJaeger

• The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 1,582 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:33 PM

View PostSleepy Panda, on 11 February 2018 - 01:25 AM, said:

My least favorite quirk right now is the Pirahna and how they are obviously stilted. I just played a match where 1 Pirahna came in and killed 6 of us, SIX! It was in our own drop zone. Now you can't tell me that's ridiculous.

Amount of retardism is what is ridiculous here. If you dumbasses got 6 killed by single Piranha, maybe you should try another game, like Tetris for example.

IMHO all quirks should be gone, and integrated into ST.

#393 Domoneky

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationOn The Map

Posted 12 February 2018 - 12:37 PM

The quirk that keeps PGI having this IP

#394 Jonathan8883

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 708 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 08:36 PM

View PostHavyek, on 11 February 2018 - 05:52 PM, said:

All quirks need to go.

If a chassis is so bad that it needs quirks to be made viable, then it need to be rescaled, hardpoints moved, or hitboxes redesigned.

Players should be deciding what 'Mechs to take and how to arm them, not PGI.

I don't think PGI is interested in rescaling or re-hardpointing 90% of the IS Mechs.

#395 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:55 AM

Just remove all quirk and after that put insane stock build quirk !

Edited by Damnedtroll, 14 February 2018 - 10:55 AM.

#396 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 19 February 2018 - 07:59 AM

Missile Spread, both on chassis and in Skill Tree. The way it's designed, any mechs that do not benefit from Artemis (eg using MRMs or ATMs, or simply without the space/tonnage for Artemis) will receive no real benefit. This would be avoidable if the quirks had separate Artemis and Non-Artemis values.

#397 Havyek

• Mercenary Rank 3
  • 1,349 posts
  • LocationBarrie, ON

Posted 20 February 2018 - 05:39 PM

View PostThroe, on 14 February 2018 - 12:55 PM, said:

I can appreciate the frustration of feeling like a certain 'Mech is really only good with a single load out because of overpowered weapon specific quirks, but numerous general quirks need to stay as a matter of game balance.

All respect, but no.

If the game is "balanced" on quirks, then something needs to be seriously redressed.

IMO the answer is relatively simple. All DPS needs to be equal. Clan weapons burn longer, run hotter, hit harder and have a longer cool down.
Yes, Clans will have a higher alpha.

Clan mechs need to have lower/wider hard points so they're not as proficient as pop tarting and hill humping. Not necessarily all waist height, but close. HBR torso weapons are a good example of max height.

IS Mechs can get an extra 5% armour as a bonus. Their weapons are shorter range, shorter cool down, run cooler and shorter burn.
This puts them in the role that most IS Mechs are best at anyway. Mid-short range engagements and brawling. IS Mechs can shoot faster, sustain more damage than their higher heat, higher alpha Clan counterparts.

#398 Pain G0D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sho-ko
  • Sho-ko
  • 617 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 04:16 AM

Bushwhacker P1

We all use them in scout matches as missile boats . In theory because of all its missile points , it's the missile variant bushie yet it does not have one missile quirk . That makes no sense to me .

The missile storm crow has a missile quirk .

#399 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 04 March 2018 - 02:58 PM

Quirks are just a balancing point. It allows canon mech builds to be competitive when otherwise they would not have enough weapon mounts. It allows for lore mech appearances to also feel armored even when no one is likely to miss oversized arms, center torsos, or side torsos that the canon imagery/design calls for them to have.

I don't see how MWO would have so many competitive mech options otherwise. If you are complaining about a few mechs with slight imbalances in the given Quirks I can only imagine the whine level if those Quirks were suddenly stripped from all mechs and you were left with just a couple of competitive mechs. Or if all mechs were given the same hitboxes regardless of what you saw visually in the game, everyone would be crying 'hack'.

Really? One Piranha killed 6 of you? I can't believe that just because they are not that hard to hit.

#400 Peiper

• The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 1,444 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationA fog where no one notices the contrast of white on white

Posted 20 March 2018 - 12:30 PM

Least favorite quirk is ENGINE DESYNC.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users