25 replies to this topic

#1 Star Wolves Admin Account

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 03:26 PM

Yes, I know, another Timber A thread.

Regardless this is a bit different in that I think PGI deserves a hardy handshake on this variant.

I am primarily a clan pilot but I really like what they did with this. The Timber A is just too powerful without some justified nerfs. He is still going to be awesome but now is a situational mech as he should be.

Maybe he is a bit overnerfed (just a tad, I think he's really close or maybe just right); however, I would prefer to start on the lower end and them ramp him up if he needs it.

We all should have learned our lesson when the Tbolt was over-quirked in regards to high mounted bringers of death.

Lets give PGI a hardy handshake for handling these sorts of mechs the right way, conservatively. :)

#2 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,251 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 20 April 2015 - 03:28 PM

Inb4 the TBR-A DoA crowd

I do agree though.. I think they might have got it very close to right on, but we will see how it performs.

Edited by Gas Guzzler, 20 April 2015 - 03:29 PM.

#3 Star Wolves Admin Account

• Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 03:29 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 20 April 2015 - 03:28 PM, said:

Inb4 the TBR-A DoA crowd

I don't get how people can say that, it is a Timber God with high mounted weapons mounts! Yes, I know he has a bit longer burn time but it is a timber that can poke like a stalker. That is unbelievable regardless of the small negatives.

#4 Ultimax

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 03:32 PM

View PostBlueduck, on 20 April 2015 - 03:29 PM, said:

I don't get how people can say that, it is a Timber God with high mounted weapons mounts! Yes, I know he has a bit longer burn time but it is a timber that can poke like a stalker. That is unbelievable regardless of the small negatives.

Sanity, you have it.

#5 Kain Demos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 20 April 2015 - 03:45 PM

I wish we had a "dislike this" button as well.

#6 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 03:45 PM

These negative quirks are ridiculous.

I propose we buf every other mech until they have a place in the 'meta' or at least come close.

I had no problem with the 40% cooldown TDR that PPC rained all over clan war, I think we should power creep mechs up to that point then double armor again (or go up by 1/3 or so).

Even with 40% the Dragon 1N is still barely usable

#7 One Medic Army

• 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 20 April 2015 - 03:47 PM

View PostKain Thul, on 20 April 2015 - 03:45 PM, said:

I wish we had a "dislike this" button as well.

Funny, now I do too.

I think the quirks are perfect. They make it worse at peek-n-poke, which is exactly what the hardpoint ons make it better at. The goal being overall null sum game.

The top end needs to come down some, and I say this for purely selfish reasons as a light/medium pilot. Lights and mediums hurt the most from power creep, since they're hardly survivable (centurion zombie arm shielding, and Firestarter Magic hitboxes aside) to begin with.

Edited by One Medic Army, 20 April 2015 - 03:49 PM.

#8 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 20 April 2015 - 03:48 PM

View PostXetelian, on 20 April 2015 - 03:45 PM, said:

These negative quirks are ridiculous.

I propose we buf every other mech until they have a place in the 'meta' or at least come close.

I had no problem with the 40% cooldown TDR that PPC rained all over clan war, I think we should power creep mechs up to that point then double armor again (or go up by 1/3 or so).

Even with 40% the Dragon 1N is still barely usable

I hated all the TDR QQ.....in fact anyone that says anything is OP makes their way to my **** list.

I don't care if they made medium lasers 0 heat for the IS, just leave my **** alone and keep the red text the **** away from me.

#9 Whatzituyah

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,236 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationIn a dark corner waiting to alpha strike his victim.

Posted 20 April 2015 - 04:23 PM

View PostKain Thul, on 20 April 2015 - 03:48 PM, said:

I hated all the TDR QQ.....in fact anyone that says anything is OP makes their way to my **** list.

I don't care if they made medium lasers 0 heat for the IS, just leave my **** alone and keep the red text the **** away from me.

You mean like the critical damage or heat level critical?

I personally think that burn times is just there to compensate for their power and range because the range itself is very long for clans it will stay like that till IS gets their not so good ER lasers but better then nothing.

Edited by Whatzituyah, 20 April 2015 - 04:25 PM.

#10 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 04:31 PM

View PostXetelian, on 20 April 2015 - 03:45 PM, said:

That's what we get bud, you might want to check those other fellas wearing Clan Wolf tags - they were some of the loudest in the nerf TDR-9S crusade.

We can't have T1 IS mechs, because some players don't like superstars (they are probably communists) and other players are shilling so strongly for CW you'd think it was their career!*

It is unlikely we can ever have T1 IS mech due to this, because IS tech alone simply cannot put a mech there - it requires hardpoints, hitboxes & amazing quirks to even put an IS mech into T2.

*This sentence was tongue in cheek.

Edited by Ultimatum X, 20 April 2015 - 04:32 PM.

#11 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 04:47 PM

View PostUltimatum X, on 20 April 2015 - 04:31 PM, said:

That's what we get bud, you might want to check those other fellas wearing Clan Wolf tags - they were some of the loudest in the nerf TDR-9S crusade.

We can't have T1 IS mechs, because some players don't like superstars (they are probably communists) and other players are shilling so strongly for CW you'd think it was their career!*

It is unlikely we can ever have T1 IS mech due to this, because IS tech alone simply cannot put a mech there - it requires hardpoints, hitboxes & amazing quirks to even put an IS mech into T2.

*This sentence was tongue in cheek.

I went clan wolf because a real life friend wants to go clan wolf so my affiliation isn't hardcore.

CN9-D 40% LBX AC 10 cooldown really helps, I put up 700 damage in a really good match and I bring 90 ammo because it fires it so fast that its like taking two and even with 7 tons or so I still run out of ammo.

This is clearly not a T1 mech but its a LOT closer than SHD 2H which got mediocre quirks.

40% reset time reduction on 1 gun is very good but its just 1 gun.

Maybe I'm just bias because I can perform better in the CN9 than in my SHD 2H...but if the SHD had 20%-30% time reduction on AC5s it would be very useful in clan war.

#12 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 04:53 PM

Thankfully, the negatives are quite huge enough to make some not take it in place of everything. It still has TDR-9S or Hellbringer level hardpoints, but it will suffer slightly. I think though quad ER LL will make use of that build as it has every bit of purpose in the long range game, but much less useful in the shorter ranged game compared to ML + LPL combo.

Edited by luxebo, 20 April 2015 - 04:53 PM.

#13 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 04:56 PM

IDK i feel like the movement nerfs were kind of out of nowhere. But hey who knows.

#14 WonderSparks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 909 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC, Canada

Posted 20 April 2015 - 04:57 PM

OP, I thought you were going to be talking about how the shoulder is where the E-hardpoints are located (something that I have always wanted; I used to build Lego models where 'Mechs like the Timber Wolf might replace the shoulder missile racks with other guns), but I see I was mistaken. XD

Also, I was not aware of any pre-release nerf, but if there is then I suppose that is a good thing, too. :P Better to start a bit underpowered and work our way up than to start overpowered and need to be brought down! ;)

#15 CantHandletheTruth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 05:08 PM

View PostUltimatum X, on 20 April 2015 - 03:32 PM, said:

Sanity, you have it.

Money, PGI doesn't get it.

#16 Star Wolves Admin Account

• Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 05:36 PM

View PostWonderSparks, on 20 April 2015 - 04:57 PM, said:

OP, I thought you were going to be talking about how the shoulder is where the E-hardpoints are located (something that I have always wanted; I used to build Lego models where 'Mechs like the Timber Wolf might replace the shoulder missile racks with other guns), but I see I was mistaken. XD

Also, I was not aware of any pre-release nerf, but if there is then I suppose that is a good thing, too. :P Better to start a bit underpowered and work our way up than to start overpowered and need to be brought down! ;)

Indeed, they announced the nerfs pre-release. That was the right thing to do and I compliment them for it; likewise it is better to start a bit UP rather than OP.

I really don't know if this guy will be UP though. He can fit 3 erlarge, 6 ersmall, and 2 lrms with 2 JJ. He is going to rock anyway you look at it regardless of his nerfs

#17 CantHandletheTruth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 05:39 PM

Lrm?

And PGI sucks at iteration, remember JJs were "tweekable"

Which never happened.

#18 CutterWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 658 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 05:41 PM

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck selling those!! What a joke, everyone is soooooo afraid of high mount energy points the forgot the most important part?? Armor in that location and how VERY easy it will be shoot off LOL! Nice knee jerk reaction PGI at least we know you still have no idea what your doing...............

#19 One Medic Army

• 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 20 April 2015 - 05:45 PM

View PostTennex, on 20 April 2015 - 04:56 PM, said:

IDK i feel like the movement nerfs were kind of out of nowhere. But hey who knows.

Well, if you think about it they directly affect the movement performed by ridge-humping and corner peeking. Accelerate up the hill/around the corner, stop, fire, reverse down the hill/behind cover again. It'll cause it to get more face-time when peeking.

#20 CantHandletheTruth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 06:27 PM

View PostOne Medic Army, on 20 April 2015 - 05:45 PM, said:

Well, if you think about it they directly affect the movement performed by ridge-humping and corner peeking. Accelerate up the hill/around the corner, stop, fire, reverse down the hill/behind cover again. It'll cause it to get more face-time when peeking.

....and all of your eggs are in one basket, so meh.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users