55 replies to this topic

#1 Madcap72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 752 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 12 April 2015 - 03:27 AM

Everytime I look at the front page here, I see a list of complaints ranging from legitament, to the most mundane that would make even a twitter update look like breaking news on CNN.

Every time I read these complaints, I find no sympathy.

I like the game, and where it's heading from where it's been, and where it's going. It's been rocky, and I like many people that have been playing a long time have taken breaks, and have returned sometimes to things being better, sometimes worse.

"Lrmageddon is OP" "Dark maps are too dark" "convergance needs nerf" "Pay to win PGI PLZ NERF" "The Community warfare beta isn't a finished product" "it's not table top it's not right" "It's table top and doesn't work realtime" and all the variations of the themes.

So I figured, instead of the typical "woe is me" thread I would post the opposite.

What does everyone think works well?

I like how ECM works in a more realistic way, by actually inhibiting targeting in a set range (darn inverse square law).

I enjoy the LRMS while many of you have mearly adapted to them, I was BORN in it. I of course agree that they could be changed to balance better, but what a lot of people don't realize is many of the ways they want them balanced might make them more effective.

I enjoy the quirks. Coming from the TT/ lore side, while many people choose to look at the quirks as advertised, I choose to look at them as representative of the fact that all the mechs and all the weapons were made by differnt people, and factories and are of differnt design.

Why should all the weapons classes be the same? I'd love to see eventually a break from tradition, and have differant weapons effects and weights for the class. I.E. a high velocity AP AC 5 from one company, or a low velocity HE AC five from another. But that's jsut a whim. I think it would be more intersting than quirks.

I enjoy how the skill tree's liven up mechs. Some mechs that "suck" according to meta try-hard opinion, are FUN to play once maxed out.

New maps... they are getting better, and unlike EA... they magically wind up being playable without having to pay anyone!!!

CW has bugs. CW is in Beta. I play CW and get frustrated because there is no nerf padding on the match maker to make me feel like I'm a better player than I am. Sometimes I find out the hard way that some people area LOT better at this game both induvidually, and in organization and leadership.

VOIP.... Man... while frustrating that most of the time people only get on voip at the END of the match to talk about what SHOULD have been done, when people get proactive and plan, call targets, and focus fire... it's a beautiful thing.

Most of all, I enjoy playing Mechwarrior, online for the first time since way back in the day with Mech Warrior 4.

Because really for all the frustrations if at it's core this game wasn't fun, we all wouldn't be paying it, right?

#2 PurpleNinja

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationMIA

Posted 12 April 2015 - 04:10 AM

TL;DR but I also enjoy MWO as it is.

#3 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 12 April 2015 - 04:14 AM

I no longer enjoy MW:O after buying 3 Jenners.

I think i'll sell all of them and pretend i've never done that.

#4 TwentyOne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 477 posts
  • LocationI pay more to use less water. Cali.

Posted 12 April 2015 - 04:14 AM

This game can always improve. It can always make me more happy and entertained when I play it. It can always improve the quality of my life.......more

#5 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 04:26 AM

bit more content,better hsr,and good tutorials for new players are the only thing that i would add to this game.

core gameplay is good.

#6 LordBraxton

• The Formidable
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 04:38 AM

OP hasnt been around long.

OP likes current iteration of MWO, because he never played the better one we had 2+ years ago.

#7 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 12 April 2015 - 04:50 AM

View PostLordBraxton, on 12 April 2015 - 04:38 AM, said:

OP hasnt been around long.

OP likes current iteration of MWO, because he never played the better one we had 2+ years ago.

I don't think the one we had 2 years ago was better by any stretch except for the Centurion arm.

#8 LordBraxton

• The Formidable
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 04:57 AM

View PostElizander, on 12 April 2015 - 04:50 AM, said:

I don't think the one we had 2 years ago was better by any stretch except for the Centurion arm.

and the graphics, and the animations, and the sounds, and the damage modeling, and the collisions, and the single heatsinks...

to be fair, I wanted this to be a 3025 only game.. but... on the graphics\animations\quality control end, MWO has continuously declined.

Edited by LordBraxton, 12 April 2015 - 04:57 AM.

#9 Tahribator

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 05:00 AM

I've been here since the Spider was released (2.5 years ago?) and I still enjoy the game for what it is. I think most of the negativity came from people who were too hung up on the future/possibilities rather than what is currently available now.

There were relatively bad times (when PGI let poptart meta linger for so long) but the game never ceased to give me some entertainment, more so than any other game during this period.

In my opinion this game has never been more polished, balanced and content rich than right now. Is it perfect? No, but the devs are still enthusiastic about their product and they reconciled with the disgruntled part of the community.

I'm still having a blast playing this 2+ hours every day.

#10 Kuritaclan

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,838 posts
  • LocationGermany

I think the core feature of MW:O and what is its attraction - is the possibility to change and evolve. I see the OP think the same way.

Many people complain, because changes do not favour their wishes the game should be. I don't have the wish to turn this game into something what i think the game supposed to be. I'm fine with what i get so far. Okay there are hurdles that needs to vanish. But if not I do not quit. I'm ok with this, but many who complain are not up to the idea that changes need time and some things will just stay something you do not like. As long as there are options to go around the things I do not like, i'm fine what mw:o is or will become.

Edited by Kuritaclan, 12 April 2015 - 05:02 AM.

#11 LordBraxton

• The Formidable
  • 3,585 posts

Did the spider come before or after the cicada? because the cicada patch is what killed us

#12 DrSlamastika

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 702 posts
  • LocationSlovakia

Posted 12 April 2015 - 05:01 AM

only bad thing on this game is performance optimalizations . . . :(

#13 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 05:06 AM

the main thing which i don't enjoy about this game it's that it is unnecessarily heavy on its hardware demands. the amount of people asking and giving advice how to overcome fps drops in a fairly simple visually game is astonishing

#14 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,339 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 12 April 2015 - 05:25 AM

View PostLordBraxton, on 12 April 2015 - 04:57 AM, said:

and the graphics, and the animations, and the sounds, and the damage modeling, and the collisions, and the single heatsinks...

to be fair, I wanted this to be a 3025 only game.. but... on the graphics\animations\quality control end, MWO has continuously declined.

QFT

#15 Triordinant

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 12 April 2015 - 05:35 AM

View PostLordBraxton, on 12 April 2015 - 04:57 AM, said:

to be fair, I wanted this to be a 3025 only game...

This is how it should have been.

#16 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 12 April 2015 - 05:42 AM

View PostMadcap72, on 12 April 2015 - 03:27 AM, said:

Everytime I look at the front page here, I see a list of complaints ranging from legitament, to the most mundane that would make even a twitter update look like breaking news on CNN.

Every time I read these complaints, I find no sympathy.

I like the game, and where it's heading from where it's been, and where it's going. It's been rocky, and I like many people that have been playing a long time have taken breaks, and have returned sometimes to things being better, sometimes worse.

"Lrmageddon is OP" "Dark maps are too dark" "convergance needs nerf" "Pay to win PGI PLZ NERF" "The Community warfare beta isn't a finished product" "it's not table top it's not right" "It's table top and doesn't work realtime" and all the variations of the themes.

So I figured, instead of the typical "woe is me" thread I would post the opposite.

What does everyone think works well?

I like how ECM works in a more realistic way, by actually inhibiting targeting in a set range (darn inverse square law).

I enjoy the LRMS while many of you have mearly adapted to them, I was BORN in it. I of course agree that they could be changed to balance better, but what a lot of people don't realize is many of the ways they want them balanced might make them more effective.

I enjoy the quirks. Coming from the TT/ lore side, while many people choose to look at the quirks as advertised, I choose to look at them as representative of the fact that all the mechs and all the weapons were made by differnt people, and factories and are of differnt design.

Why should all the weapons classes be the same? I'd love to see eventually a break from tradition, and have differant weapons effects and weights for the class. I.E. a high velocity AP AC 5 from one company, or a low velocity HE AC five from another. But that's jsut a whim. I think it would be more intersting than quirks.

I enjoy how the skill tree's liven up mechs. Some mechs that "suck" according to meta try-hard opinion, are FUN to play once maxed out.

New maps... they are getting better, and unlike EA... they magically wind up being playable without having to pay anyone!!!

CW has bugs. CW is in Beta. I play CW and get frustrated because there is no nerf padding on the match maker to make me feel like I'm a better player than I am. Sometimes I find out the hard way that some people area LOT better at this game both induvidually, and in organization and leadership.

VOIP.... Man... while frustrating that most of the time people only get on voip at the END of the match to talk about what SHOULD have been done, when people get proactive and plan, call targets, and focus fire... it's a beautiful thing.

Most of all, I enjoy playing Mechwarrior, online for the first time since way back in the day with Mech Warrior 4.

Because really for all the frustrations if at it's core this game wasn't fun, we all wouldn't be paying it, right?

While I can say I still enjoy piloting mechs...
...if you find mwo good, you are in a island.

#17 Ghillie Dhu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 156 posts
  • LocationIsle of Skye

Posted 12 April 2015 - 05:42 AM

I have 2 accounts one a founders week 2 account .. . . the game gets better and better ... sure there is stuff id like to change ... but hell there is stuff id like to change about my wife ... crap...I didn't say that ... who said that ... no darling someone has hacked my account ...

#18 LordBraxton

• The Formidable
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 05:57 AM

View PostGhillie Dhu, on 12 April 2015 - 05:42 AM, said:

I have 2 accounts one a founders week 2 account .. . . the game gets better and better ... sure there is stuff id like to change ... but hell there is stuff id like to change about my wife ... crap...I didn't say that ... who said that ... no darling someone has hacked my account ...

y use ur twink account on the forum??

this game has not seen linear progress since the beginning, it's more often 1 step forward 2 steps back

#19 orcrist86

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon Institute of Science

Posted 12 April 2015 - 08:17 AM

View PostLordBraxton, on 12 April 2015 - 05:57 AM, said:

y use ur twink account on the forum??

this game has not seen linear progress since the beginning, it's more often 1 step forward 2 steps back

Not true, but you are entitled to your opinion.

#20 Burktross

• Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 12 April 2015 - 08:24 AM

MWO has ups and downs, an for a community full of dirty neckbeards, we're pretty good. The game aint perfect, though, and once you become fully indoctrinated into MWO and start thinking in terms of meta instead of gameplay, then you start to see flaws. Most of these "flaws" are TT deviations, however, in which gameplay vs. source arguments begin.

There's always room for improvement, but I get what you're saying. People would like to burn PGI to the ground for the "UTMOST DESPICABLE HERESY ON MUH BATTLETECHZ," but I think the game is fun as it is, as well. Repetitive, yes, but fun. Even if it never returns fully to its CBT roots, it'll still be fun, albeit a bit... lacking...

all i want for Christmas is through armor crits and actuator hits

Edited by Burktross, 12 April 2015 - 08:25 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users