Cw Seasons

7 replies to this topic

#1 RogueLdr

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 05:09 AM

Can't take full credit for this idea, i don't remember where i read it, but their post got me to thinking.

It would end up being rather dull if the map never reset; Terra would just be continually passed around like a cheap strumpet. Capturing it would mean nothing if someone else is just going to have it next week. (think capping a continent in a game like planetside)
So i purpose seasons, each one with an actual winner.

Each season could last, say three months. There would be two conditions for the season to end.

1: A Clan captures Terra and manages to hold it for three days.
2: IS maintain control of Terra for the full season cycle, thereby repelling the invasion and sending the Clans packing.

Each new season can have a different configuration to keep it fresher. I.E.

Season 1: Standard invasion, the way it was in lore and the way the beta was set up.

Season 2: Divide the IS into equal slices, one for each house. The clans would attack one from each cardinal direction.(viewing the galaxy as a map) Wolf from the North, JF from the West, etc...

I'm sure many more set ups could be thought of as well, but you get the idea.

Now, as an added bonus, rework the planet info screen of Terra. Dedicate a very large portion of it to banners listing the winners of each season. I.E

SEASON ONE WINNER
Clan Wolf
Terra captured in 42 days

SEASON TWO WINNER
House Stiener
Captured Terra in 30 days, Repelled invasion for 60

If they can manage it in their UI maybe you could click on each winners banner and see a break down of the actual units that fought for that faction in that season. The top 5 units and how many planets each took.

Also, If a pilot was in the winning faction for at least 60% of the season including the end, they get a special unique cockpit item. (maybe a banner that says "Conqueror of Terra" or something)

These two incentives would also be a reason for the IS houses to compete for Terra as well, not just combine to repel the Clans. Your name in lights forever as well as free, unique loot would be good motivation to fight.

I'm sure there would be minor kinks that would need to be sorted out, but on the whole, i think this would add a lot of flavor to CW as well as a good reason to actually do it.

#2 Dracol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 2,539 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 21 April 2015 - 05:36 AM

Anyone have a link to the original thread that discussed this before CW was released? PGI originally proposed seasons but there was a large segment that dislike the idea and ultimately, it was changed to what we have now.

#3 zeves

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 282 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 21 April 2015 - 06:08 AM

and then they can boost whatever side looses with quirks

#4 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 21 April 2015 - 07:02 AM

Nope, don't like the idea.

You ever read the headline of the page before you come to the actual page?

"The Future Is War"

I know not many people see this page, but that's what it says.

#5 Fragnot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationUS Eastern

Posted 21 April 2015 - 07:39 AM

It has been suggested, even though I haven't done any CW in some time, I think it's a good idea for the game mode. I'm not gonna bother to look it up, but I'm pretty sure Russ even mentioned it at the last TH. Even talking about running seasonal leader boards for Units and top players...or else I dreamed that.

#6 RogueLdr

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 10:06 AM

View PostDracol, on 21 April 2015 - 05:36 AM, said:

Anyone have a link to the original thread that discussed this before CW was released? PGI originally proposed seasons but there was a large segment that dislike the idea and ultimately, it was changed to what we have now.

Would these be the same people that say CW is boring and have stopped playing it?

Something along these lines would give taking Terra more bite.

Anyone who's ever played anything like Planetside or other persistent territory capture games can tell you; you develop a very Meh attitude on working hard to take someplace when you know it means nothing because by the next time you log in you'll have probably lost it.

#7 Dracol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 2,539 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 21 April 2015 - 10:22 AM

View PostRogueLdr, on 21 April 2015 - 10:06 AM, said:

Anyone who's ever played anything like Planetside or other persistent territory capture games can tell you; you develop a very Meh attitude on working hard to take someplace when you know it means nothing because by the next time you log in you'll have probably lost it.

Ever play Warhammer online? I played it for over 6 months daily. Sign in, fight, take over PvP area, defend, log off. Sign in the next day and repeat due to Chaos taking over. Had a blast doing it cause of the people I was running with and the game play was interesting for a time.

For me, the combat in MWO is a lot more interesting than any MMO or FPS. Main reason I've been playing since closed beta. Each drop is fun. Outside of the drop, doesn't really affect my enjoyment when actually in a match.

Its similar to soccer players. Field is the same dimensions every time. Same number of players. Its actually playing that draws a lot of people back to the field time and time again. Not an achievement. Not a piece of real estate. But the joy of playing soccer.

Everyone will approach CW in their own way.

#8 RogueLdr

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 10:48 AM

View PostDracol, on 21 April 2015 - 10:22 AM, said:

Ever play Warhammer online? I played it for over 6 months daily. Sign in, fight, take over PvP area, defend, log off. Sign in the next day and repeat due to Chaos taking over. Had a blast doing it cause of the people I was running with and the game play was interesting for a time.

For me, the combat in MWO is a lot more interesting than any MMO or FPS. Main reason I've been playing since closed beta. Each drop is fun. Outside of the drop, doesn't really affect my enjoyment when actually in a match.

Its similar to soccer players. Field is the same dimensions every time. Same number of players. Its actually playing that draws a lot of people back to the field time and time again. Not an achievement. Not a piece of real estate. But the joy of playing soccer.

Everyone will approach CW in their own way.

Actually yeah, i did play WH hehe

It was fun at first, but got boring pretty quick after you sacked their city a few times. At least this way you'd be rewarded and get some recognition for taking Terra instead of it just being handed around like the new guy in prison lol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users