they understand it too, that's why they give them away a lot

#22 Gut

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNear Dallas, TX

Posted 21 April 2015 - 05:43 PM

I reiterate, most people I know left the game because ridiculousness involving the game itself, how little content there is over so much time, and little to do other than grind.

A (another?) programmer who knows what the heck they're doing could add so much more.

Edited by Gut, 21 April 2015 - 05:44 PM.

#23 Zolaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 21 April 2015 - 06:02 PM

Decals will cost money ... and they havent made them yet. lol So, see PGI isnt totally fixated on cash money grabs.

#24 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 April 2015 - 06:12 PM

View PostRaso, on 21 April 2015 - 03:08 PM, said:

Yeah I never got death penalties in an MMO

Not having anything bad to you when you die isnt something you understand????

O.O

#25 Ralgas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,628 posts
  • LocationThe Wonderful world of OZ

Posted 21 April 2015 - 06:16 PM

Could be worse..... it could be back in the old days when it took them months just to get a mech out with several missed deadlines, not to mention the delays between maps.

Yes there's plenty that needs improving, but it's not like they haven't at least lifted their game in at least quantity since igp left(both monetized and non)

Edited by Ralgas, 21 April 2015 - 06:17 PM.

#26 Gut

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 373 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 06:17 PM

I'd argue their model is worse. More packs are coming out more quickly, 0 mechs are coming out MC/Cbill without having store first.

SOME actual content has been added, but not a ton.

#27 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 April 2015 - 06:23 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 21 April 2015 - 03:52 PM, said:

Gut, you are asking for logic.

Imagine the people like myself that has argued for this much much earlier than you.

People reap what they sow.

They dont have the programmer for logic, he quit :D

View PostRalgas, on 21 April 2015 - 06:16 PM, said:

not to mention the delays between maps.

When are the next maps?

#28 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 21 April 2015 - 06:28 PM

The good news is that after it comes out on steam they really will have to have alot of content to retain players. There isnt an easily accessible large market like steam for them to turn to if player retention isnt high. Advertising is about it and that costs a fortune. Not out of the question but its not a market place like steam.

Mechs are great but the OP does have a point that new game play additions/features is what will keep players interested as well as story, character, etc.

+1 for aerotech :)

#29 Gut

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 373 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 06:36 PM

View PostJohnny Z, on 21 April 2015 - 06:28 PM, said:

The good news is that after it comes out on steam they really will have to have alot of content to retain players. There isnt an easily accessible large market like steam for them to turn to if player retention isnt high. Advertising is about it and that costs a fortune. Not out of the question but its not a market place like steam.

Mechs are great but the OP does have a point that new game play additions/features is what will keep players interested as well as story, character, etc.

What extra content are you talking about? Right now we have CW, opens, and private, and not a lot of chance to mix it up within those currently. Simple way to mix it up would be options like 3025 mode, stock mode, more playmodes (attack, defense, dropship, free for all), etc.

Edited by Gut, 21 April 2015 - 06:39 PM.

#30 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 06:45 PM

View PostGut, on 21 April 2015 - 06:36 PM, said:

What extra content are you talking about? Right now we have CW, opens, and private, and not a lot of chance to mix it up within those currently. Simple way to mix it up would be options like 3025 mode, stock mode, more playmodes, etc.

You heard of the Mass Effect series? Well Mass effect 4 is coming out and it will be a block buster. HUGE. (even if the mass effect endings mostly suck up till now... unlikely they will do that again.)

My point is the Mass effect series game play largely started out with exactly what Mechwarrior has now. Fighting areas that players zone into. Great game play. There is nothing stopping this game from doing that and then some.

The two things this game has going for it that cannot be argued with is the fighting and the factions. Thats just for starters. No other game has factions like this game not even the upcomming star wars, which will be awsome. Sony recently dumped planet side and bought the Macross mechs. Sci-fi/cyberpunk is where its at. Bla bla. Anyway this game is headed in the right direction and I really dont think they will try and miss the bus. Most likely they will try their best to put out an awsome game.

If you cant see how cool the galaxy map is then what can i say....

#31 Gut

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 373 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 06:53 PM

View PostJohnny Z, on 21 April 2015 - 06:45 PM, said:

You heard of the Mass Effect series? Well Mass effect 4 is coming out and it will be a block buster. HUGE. (even if the mass effect endings mostly suck up till now... unlikely they will do that again.)

My point is the Mass effect series game play largely started out with exactly what Mechwarrior has now. Fighting areas that players zone into. Great game play. There is nothing stopping this game from doing that and then some.

The two things this game has going for it that cannot be argued with is the fighting and the factions. Thats just for starters. No other game has factions like this game not even the upcomming star wars, which will be awsome. Sony recently dumped planet side and bought the Macross mechs. Sci-fi/cyberpunk is where its at. Bla bla. Anyway this game is headed in the right direction and I really dont think they will try and miss the bus. Most likely they will try their best to put out an awsome game.

If you cant see how cool the galaxy map is then what can i say....

And all this content is coming out before steam? Cause from what I hear, it's just another round of mechs before stream release, maybe a map, and some decent CW changes.

#32 Gallowglas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 06:58 PM

At what point is the game "good enough" to monetize? How do you know that the pricing model doesn't bring in more money than one in which the transactions are more micro in scale? I've been involved in consumer psychology research as an virtual experiment designer for over 10 years and the one thing I can tell you is that sometimes the most financially lucrative model isn't the most intuitive.

That said, I don't personally know what would bring PGI the most money and make their game the most successful. Recently they've been showing progress on content and that's enough to earn my continued support even if everything is not perfect. Other games have priced their store items much higher and others much lower, but I look at it this way: I'm not required to buy anything to be competitive or even to find a mech that's enjoyable to pilot. I used to complain about the price of the packages, but the a la carte pricing model resolved my primary issues. If there's something I want, it doesn't break the bank for me to get it and if I miss out on the early access, I'm okay with waiting.

Your mileage may vary.

#33 Gut

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 373 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 07:00 PM

View PostGallowglas, on 21 April 2015 - 06:58 PM, said:

At what point is the game "good enough" to monetize? How do you know that the pricing model doesn't bring in more money than one in which the transactions are more micro in scale? I've been involved in consumer psychology research as an virtual experiment designer for over 10 years and the one thing I can tell you is that sometimes the most financially lucrative model isn't the most intuitive.

That said, I don't personally know what would bring PGI the most money and make their game the most successful. Recently they've been showing progress on content and that's enough to earn my continued support even if everything is not perfect. Other games have priced their store items much higher and others much lower, but I look at it this way: I'm not required to buy anything to be competitive or even to find a mech that's enjoyable to pilot. I used to complain about the price of the packages, but the a la carte pricing model resolved my primary issues. If there's something I want, it doesn't break the bank for me to get it and if I miss out on the early access, I'm okay with waiting.

Your mileage may vary.

Well put, except it's been mostly nothing but an arena shooter for 3 years. I LOVE arena shooters, which is why I'm still playing. It's just it could be so much more, and it's not.

#34 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 07:22 PM

View PostGut, on 21 April 2015 - 07:00 PM, said:

Well put, except it's been mostly nothing but an arena shooter for 3 years. I LOVE arena shooters, which is why I'm still playing. It's just it could be so much more, and it's not.

If this game is going to be great or not will be seen this year. Either with additions or road maps or what ever. Its true it is still for the most part a red vrs blue shooter(to be fair the combat may be the best online battles) with a beta of something more. Which would make the game about half feature complete until aerotech and some kind of character is added. Not to mention Solaris and a few other big things. Aerotech would allow space battles over the planets and really give the galaxy map depth. Again not mention many other things like repair and rearm and other cool stuff.

Edited by Johnny Z, 21 April 2015 - 07:24 PM.

#35 Primetimex

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 353 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 07:26 PM

View PostJohnny Z, on 21 April 2015 - 06:28 PM, said:

This statement does not go along well with "all-out-monetization" of F2P games - nope not at all.

#36 Gut

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 373 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 07:29 PM

View PostGetterRobo, on 21 April 2015 - 07:26 PM, said:

This statement does not go along well with "all-out-monetization" of F2P games - nope not at all.

Is what you're saying "Lets make a crappy game that people will pay a ton for anyway" ? Not even that MWO is crappy, but it's not incredible.

Edited by Gut, 21 April 2015 - 07:30 PM.

#37 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 21 April 2015 - 07:34 PM

Here's a simple pricing model error in logic.

PGI decided to reduce the cost of the reinforcement pack mechs cost in REAL MONEY before releasing them.

Anyone with a brain at this point would realistically wait the week before the release is coming.

Had the sale had been had 2 weeks to a month BEFORE the release date... you'd have more sales.

The point of sales is for people to do "impulse shopping", a novel concept in trying to get people to put in money to minimize the cost for the additional wait.

Of course, these "gift mechs" were available for 2-3 months... so it's hard to get "the last minute sales" on a 1-week before "crunchtime" event for the free release.

But hey... we're just going to get more mechs this way... nothing can be said for the yearly gamemode additions that are virtually indistinguishable from each other.

So... good luck with that.

TL;DR

There so many examples of "good sales" and it's ironic that PGI never takes the proper opportunity to make money. It is what it is though.

Edited by Deathlike, 21 April 2015 - 07:36 PM.

#38 Primetimex

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 353 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 07:43 PM

View PostGut, on 21 April 2015 - 07:29 PM, said:

Is what you're saying "Lets make a crappy game that people will pay a ton for anyway" ? Not even that MWO is crappy, but it's not incredible.

MW:0 is not crappy but there is enough there (just enough) to keep people hooked to keep buying mechs - throw in some novel mechs like the Urbie, and even though it's junk people will buy them anyway for the novelty value.

The trick is to keep the game updated just enough to support the monetary (mech) sales, even reissuing existing mechs with unique (OP) hardpoints - is enough to make people spend cash - case in point, ECM Griffin, TBR-A and so on.

Compare this to say making a proper game with proper storyline, campaigns, PVE, tutorials that's gonna cost a bomb - which would you do?

There are exceptions of course - there are still games out there recently that you can clearly see devs giving a s**t about their product and it shows.

#39 Gut

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 373 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 07:46 PM

I like this model:

Oh, you like chips? Well, let me make you chips in the following flavors: original, salt and vinegar, sour cream and onion, cheddar cheese, ranch dressing, barbecue, hot and spicy, loaded baked potato.

We've got original and salt and vinegar right now, and we have a half decent amount of that, but 0 of anything else.

#40 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 07:59 PM

i want aerotech

Posted Image

so cute, aww

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users