Will MWO be available on Steam???

67 replies to this topic

#61 Fearful

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationXanadu

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:59 PM

I am old school. I want my physical media.

#62 Granimal

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 181 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationWashington

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:43 PM

Props to Skadi! You definately have some of the better responses to things in the forums.

#63 Skadi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts
  • LocationUtgarde Pinnacle

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:49 PM

View PostGranimal, on 02 July 2012 - 06:43 PM, said:

Props to Skadi! You definately have some of the better responses to things in the forums.

oh god i think i have a fanclub.
Posted Image

Edited by Skadi, 02 July 2012 - 06:50 PM.

#64 Sean von Steinike

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:04 AM

Having it on Steam would be quite nice.

#65 DeathAxle

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:38 AM

Steam is attractive for developers who want to add DRM to their product without having to buy in or code one themselves, and disc based ones can be cracked or hacked reletivly easily.

The added advantage to steam is that a PC game is now locked to one account no second hand market etc. more sales more money, I noticed that since steam was introduced the price for PC games took a large upswing here in the UK.

The 30% figure that steam charges developers seems right given that a game that is sold in a physical media via Amazon or other retailer is usually £10 cheaper than steam, given that the publisher will possibly spend £3-5 on creating a disc they need to charge considerably more to have the game sold via steam.

MWO is a game that will use it's own accounts and so DRM is not needed or desired and if the devs want more exposure then go and make a wiki page or pay for sponsored google ad or some freebie accounts for the game press rather than jump into bed with valve.

#66 Terror Teddy

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,877 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:39 AM

Well, since it is a free to play it is not very neccessary to add it to steam but out of convenience i would like to see it there - not to mention gaining more attention there.

#67 Harman Smith

• PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:29 AM

Pretty much the only arguments I've read here against steam are "Steam sucks" and "I hate steam" and "greed greed greed while ignoring that EA is the actual yet distant villain on the volcanic slopes of Mordor".

I'd welcome at least the will to negotiate with STEAM concerning distribution. We shouldn't have this game end up like the Mechwarrior franchise in general; ending up with a small yet united community is great for morale, but not so much for anyone's wallets. And we're talking about video games, with money made being the most valuable aspect.

At least with STEAM involved, there's the chance that they can help the Piranha team with developing content, providing hardware, and so on. If I were you lot, oh praised developers I wish I could have joined had I been able to afford my video game design studies, I would get to talk to them all about this.

If STEAM doesn't work, then not bad either: It's still not a political statement about platforms in this case.

A late arrival into the STEAM environment remains to be calculated by your number crunchers on its value and profitability.

Ultimately, I just want everyone to be glad and wealthy at the end. Hence the 120 bucks my friends are calling me mentally insane for spending on you.

#68 Hawk819

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,685 posts
  • Location666 Werewolf Lane. Transylvania, Romania Ph#: Transylvania 6-5000

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:42 AM

View PostRuss Bullock, on 02 July 2012 - 12:12 PM, said:

We cant answer this at this point. Obviously steam's community and reach is amazing. However it also comes at extreme expense on the games revenue stream.

I agree with Russ here. It's a total expense to both player and this company, and Steam will want a Lion's share of the revenue to showcase the game. I'm not against it, as per se, but it is not a good idea. Now BattleCorps definitely! Steam, I just don't see it happening.

Edited by hawk819, 03 July 2012 - 04:42 AM.

12 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users