Quiaff, Quineg, and YOU!

48 replies to this topic

#1 CanAm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 153 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 02:10 PM

I have seen the words quiaff and quineg being thrown around a lot, and it is often used completely incorrectly.

Quiaff means Query Affirmative. Quineg means Query Negative.

Quiaff and quineg are rhetorical modifiers that sit at the end of a statement, in order to make it a rhetorical question. You can NOT use quiaff and quineg to respond to someone. The answer to a statement is aff or neg. The answer to a quiaff or quineg proposition is still aff or neg.

To put it simply, quiaff and quineg are used as a sort of "He is bad, yes?" or "He is bad, am I right?". Translated into Clanspeak, this is worded, "He is bad, quiaff?". The answer (if he is, in fact, bad) is simply, "aff".

Let us review-

1) Only use quiaff and quineg only to turn a statement (most likely one of opinion) into a rhetorical question (a question you already know the answer to). This means they are only used at the end of a sentence!

2) You may not respond with "quiaff" or "quineg". The response to a question is always "aff" or "neg".

3) Avoid using quiaff and quineg for something that is blatantly obvious or a universally accepted opinion or fact. Quiaff and quineg should NOT be used if everyone is going to agree- If I were to say in the Clan Jade Falcon chatterweb "We Jade Falcons are the mightiest of all Clans, quiaff?", this would be an incorrect use.

4) Quiaff and quineg are used to imply disdain, uncertainty, a non-normative opinion, a rallying bolster to morale, or lack of respect. As such, they are often used by higher ranking officials to assert rank and superiority over their lower ranked staff. Conversely, they are used by lower ranking staff as a light insubordination towards their superiors.

tl;dr- Stop using quiaff and quineg so much. Many of you are using it incorrectly.

#2 Gendou

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 02:26 PM

Seyla.

#3 marcus elgin

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 53 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 02:31 PM

Also stop using contractions. You dishonor your bloodline.

#4 AztecD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 656 posts
  • LocationTijuana. MX

Posted 02 July 2012 - 02:34 PM

^^^ nice one

#5 CanAm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 153 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 02:38 PM

View Postmarcus elgin, on 02 July 2012 - 02:31 PM, said:

I plan on doing a primer for each section of Clan etiquette, so I will be covering contractions in the next one, most likely.

#6 Oy of MidWorld

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 607 posts
  • LocationEutin Prime, -222.66:151.22

Posted 02 July 2012 - 02:40 PM

Thank you for clarifying this. So many Freeborn.

#7 RecklessFable

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 167 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 02:53 PM

I'll qu'aff what like. Scotch, Bourbon, Beer...

#8 Bombolo

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 19 posts
  • LocationGermany (Duisburg)

Posted 02 July 2012 - 02:53 PM

i have had quinaff of this clanner BS :P

#9 Vortemeer

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 02:54 PM

The way I see it, "quiaff" and "quineg" are basically the equivalent of "don't ya think?"

#10 CanAm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 153 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 02:56 PM

View PostVortemeer, on 02 July 2012 - 02:54 PM, said:

The way I see it, "quiaff" and "quineg" are basically the equivalent of "don't ya think?"

Rhetorical modifier :P

#11 WardenWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,684 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 02 July 2012 - 02:57 PM

For those more accustomed to traditional English, these phrases are similar to putting "Is that understood?" at the end of a sentence or paragraph.

#12 CanAm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 153 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 02:58 PM

View PostWardenWolf, on 02 July 2012 - 02:57 PM, said:

For those more accustomed to traditional English, these phrases are similar to putting "Is that understood?" at the end of a sentence or paragraph.

Correct. It effectively takes a statement and turns it into a question that you already know the answer to, you just seek to have it affirmed.

#13 Braedin

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 02 July 2012 - 03:01 PM

you test tube babies are to touchy. :P

#14 Aegis Kleais

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Contrary to popular belief, QuiRoger, QuiOver and QuiOut don't exist.

#15 Endarius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 190 posts

View Postmarcus elgin, on 02 July 2012 - 02:31 PM, said:

Ownt.

#16 Aegis Kleais

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 03:02 PM

View PostBraedin, on 02 July 2012 - 03:01 PM, said:

you test tube babies are to touchy. :D

You mean to say "You test tube babies are too touchy, Quiaff?" :P

#17 dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 271 posts
  • LocationLaborer caste mess hall

Posted 02 July 2012 - 03:06 PM

This is a "trashborn" thread...Quiaff. :P

#18 Bongo TauKat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 559 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationPain, Inner Perpihery, Lyran Commonwealth.

Posted 02 July 2012 - 03:06 PM

View PostCanAm, on 02 July 2012 - 02:10 PM, said:

I have seen the words quiaff and quineg being thrown around a lot, and it is often used completely incorrectly.

Quiaff means Query Affirmative. Quineg means Query Negative.

Quiaff and quineg are rhetorical modifiers that sit at the end of a statement, in order to make it a rhetorical question. You can NOT use quiaff and quineg to respond to someone. The answer to a statement is aff or neg. The answer to a quiaff or quineg proposition is still aff or neg.

To put it simply, quiaff and quineg are used as a sort of "He is bad, yes?" or "He is bad, am I right?". Translated into Clanspeak, this is worded, "He is bad, quiaff?". The answer (if he is, in fact, bad) is simply, "aff".

Let us review-

1) Only use quiaff and quineg only to turn a statement (most likely one of opinion) into a rhetorical question (a question you already know the answer to). This means they are only used at the end of a sentence!

2) You may not respond with "quiaff" or "quineg". The response to a question is always "aff" or "neg".

3) Avoid using quiaff and quineg for something that is blatantly obvious or a universally accepted opinion or fact. Quiaff and quineg should NOT be used if everyone is going to agree- If I were to say in the Clan Jade Falcon chatterweb "We Jade Falcons are the mightiest of all Clans, quiaff?", this would be an incorrect use.

4) Quiaff and quineg are used to imply disdain, uncertainty, a non-normative opinion, a rallying bolster to morale, or lack of respect. As such, they are often used by higher ranking officials to assert rank and superiority over their lower ranked staff. Conversely, they are used by lower ranking staff as a light insubordination towards their superiors.

tl;dr- Stop using quiaff and quineg so much. Many of you are using it incorrectly.

You must be mistaking me for freeborn trash you savashri drezga. Perhaps you should take up a position nursing and educating as a canister maid rather than attempting to emulate a warrior. :P

#19 Dax Frey

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 232 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 03:07 PM

*Puts on his spurs*

#20 CanAm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 153 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 03:13 PM

View PostEndarius, on 02 July 2012 - 03:01 PM, said:

Ownt.

Who was "ownt"? They were referring to people that claim to be super-Clanlike that still use contractions constantly.

View PostBongo TauKat Talasko, on 02 July 2012 - 03:06 PM, said:

You must be mistaking me for freeborn trash you savashri drezga. Perhaps you should take up a position nursing and educating as a canister maid rather than attempting to emulate a warrior. :)

:) You know what I mean!

View Postdezgra, on 02 July 2012 - 03:06 PM, said:

This is a "trashborn" thread...Quiaff. :P

Any respectable freeborn that aspires to be more than stravag filth would watch their contractions, too. ;)

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users