New "filming Only" Camera Mech - Specifically For Players To Film In Mwo!

24 replies to this topic

#1 Solahma

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 1,364 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNerv HQ, Tokyo-3

Posted 27 April 2015 - 02:24 PM

We all know that the much-desired Spectator Tool is a bit controversial and requires substantial work by the developers to properly implement into the game. That and the fact that content creators that CAN get a hold of it are only able to use the tool in Private Matches and require such creators to organize groups in order to get battle footage, not the easiest or most convenient thing in the world (both getting the tool and getting 24 players into a private lobby).

While discussing the topic of content creation and filming over at reddit OutreachHPG:
http://redd.it/34288c

I thought of a very simple solution for all content creators. A compromise that (I would think) would require very little work by the PGI developers: A "Filming Only" or "Camera" mech.

This mech could be a clone of the Spider-5V because it is already ideal.
  • It can carry 12 jump jets and has a large engine cap allowing it to move 169kph.
  • They could allow it to take ECM thus some use to the team as well as making it easier to film.
  • They could also work to make this mech immune to ALL cockpit shake from projectiles, missiles, jump jet use, etc.
  • One last thing is required for ideal filming, delete the cockpit and pilot textures. Simply remove them. Delete button, done. Perhaps add some code to remove the mech's own exterior textures from the pilot's perspective only.
  • Mech still takes damage like a normal spider, nothing special there. Maybe more armor to make up for not having any weapons. Doesn't really matter.
  • Mech could be an official release or pre-order. I would personally purchase a Camera Mech at the price of the Anansi.
  • It is also a light mech, thus less impact on the team's performance (not that the 5V ever contributes large amounts of damage). I personally use commando, shadowhawk, firebrand, and a few clan mechs to record footage in-game. This already hurts my team's performance, but it is the only solution currently, so an official Camera Mech that takes up a light-mech slot would be the most ideal solution and minimal impact to the team's performance.
I know this is probably not as simple or easy as it sounds, but it certainly sounds easier than dealing with the complexities of a spectator tool and the internal management/privileges of the tool ensuring it is not abused. It eliminates many issues with putting a full spectator tool into the public matches, completely avoiding such controversy. In addition, Personally addressing every request for the spectator tool is not logistical and it already reeks of favoritism. PGI isn't expected to give everyone the right to use this tool, that is understandable, but that is a lot of work for only a few applications primarily Shoutcasting competitive matches. This seems like the only reason it was developed, which is a shame because there are plenty of content creators who would LOVE to have this tool. However, even the tool does not allow for footage to be captured of actual gameplay in the public queue, thus my suggested solution.

A Camera Mech is a simple solution for us content creators and I would much appreciate that it is considered.

Edited by Solahma, 28 April 2015 - 09:16 AM.

#2 9erRed

• Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 28 April 2015 - 02:34 AM

Greetings,

If PGI is going to provide a 'free floating Spectator' camera mode, would it not be easer to just 'assign' a view perspective to a UAV drone?

- First reason is the current 'Targeting and LOS code' that all 'Mechs in-game use, introducing a '3rd party 'Mech' could break that code. Or at least cause some concerns or issues for any weapons systems that inadvertently hit that 'camera 'Mech'. (if it is indeed a 'neutral' element, think embedded news operator.)

- Second, your Team would lose the firepower or tactical use of one of it's Lances elements.
(All the Pilots time spent 'getting that camera shot' and not assisting the team)

- Third, if the 'game code' is available to 'remove all cockpit and "Mech objects' for a wide open view, I could see that being used as a cheat with other 'Mechs not normally designed to have that mode.

- With a UAV, No 'Mechs required, no other art design required.
- They (PGI) would need to also assign movement controls to the UAV camera unit, as well as a zoom function.
(but all this code is already in the game, just not currently 'tagged' to that element type.)

This UAV camera could be 'launched' from the same Drop Ship or base that the 'Mech's originate from.

- The largest hurdle for PGI is 'allowing' additional player controlled connections with the Battle Field session.
- PGI has stated they are at or nearly at the limit of what the game and servers can handle for 'in session' players.
- The current 'spectator/announcer mode' that we have seen in the past 'Tournament play' was a single Dev. mode free camera. Again a SINGLE element with the 24 Players present, this may be the limit.

We have heard from PGI that they were 'specifically' looking a providing some form of 'recording' the Battle and free camera views during playback. Similar to what you would see in many other games. And within that playback mode additional options presented for editing and 'special effects'.

Just some observations and info,
9erRed

Edited by 9erRed, 28 April 2015 - 02:37 AM.

#3 B0oN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 02:38 AM

right shift + f11

Yea, the cockpit is still there, but it would give a nice feel of "battlerecorder" footage .
And fighting like that is hardmode ^^

As much as I´d like spectatortools, I wouldn´t buy a mech .

#4 Solahma

• Fury
  • Fury
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 06:31 AM

Thank you for your responses, suggestions, and advice.

@9erRed, I think a few points should be clarified.
  • First, The Camera Mech would NOT be a neutral element in the game. It would be just like any normal mech on the team. It can be targeted, destroyed, etc just like any other mech. It's just a special Spider-5V. This would require ZERO code work in terms of targeting or basic game mechanics. Minimal work.
  • Second, The fact that this mech would not contribute damage to the team was discussed in the OP. This already happens when someone is filming and in my personal circumstances it has a MUCH greater impact than a light mech. I really enjoy using my Firebrand w/ XL340 to take footage because it is heavily armored, fast, and has zero camera obstruction when zoomed in. When i'm recording in this mech, that's a HEAVY mech not doing anything to support his team. The contributions for the match are minimal and/or zero. I'll either get destroyed trying to get a shot or the team would have already won the match and not need my help. So the point that a Camera Mech would not contribute to the team is not really a concern because it already has to happen to record footage. A Camera Mech would provide everything a player needs to record footage without wasting a heavier slot. So in reality, a Camera Mech would have LESS of an impact to the game.
  • Third, this would not be "game code" to remove textures as in it's available for other mechs. I have no experience or knowledge on the subject, but if someone was to remove textures, the server would recognize missing files and bad stuff happens to the player. I'm sure if someone wanted to replace textures with transparent textures to trick the servers, that can already happen. Introducing a specific mech that officially has NO textures is different. The server would check files and give it the okay because the Camera Mech isn't expected to have any of those textures to begin with. It's not a view mode the mech can enter, it is simply missing textures that other mechs typically have. This should be very easy to do and does not open anything up to exploitation. Simply, crude, and effective. Minimal work.

I like the idea of a UAV camera, but there are SO MANY complexities involved in introducing such a feature. It does NOT require minimal work to impliment, thus they would probably need a measured return value of such a feature. Will the hours upon hours of coding, meetings, and other development justify the cost of implementing such a feature? Honestly, probably not for public queue. There is the separate idea of a "play back" feature like you mentioned, which would be very useful, but again that requires resources and logistics that are probably NOT worth the investment from PGI unless the marketing brought forward through such a feature can justify it's creation, but that is still a large undertaking.

A few reasons this UAV Spectator mode would be an issue:
  • requires it's own coding for movement and various customizations for movement speed that would be necessary for filming. You could not have a one-speed camera that moves extremely fast, that would be completely unusable for filming purposes.
  • uses additional resources during a match. As you mentioned, it may become an issue to have more than 24 active views being rendered and tracked in a single match.
  • Exploitation would be a serious issue. This type of feature would be 100% more exploitable than a Camera Mech. It is not bound to the same restrictions already present in the game. If this mode was useable during a live match, players can actively communicate enemy positions real-time. This is a huge issue and the entire reason why the current spectator tool is only available for the few, lucky people to use in Private Lobbies. Otherwise the exploitation of such a tool would be rampant. There is no way to include such a feature during live, public gameplay that would not allow for exploitation.
  • The only way a UAV, free-floating spectator mode could be used is if the game was saved into a "playback" mode. Now we get back to the issue of increased resource usage for minimal return. That is A LOT of effort just to allow content creators a chance to make videos. It is very doubtful that this will ever happen even if they were "specifically" looking into it. They would come to the same conclusions as I have here, it's not worth the development time and use of resources.

So to sum all that up again, a Camera Mech would:
  • require VERY minimal work by PGI
  • be a clone of the Spider-5V, but with ECM to contribute something to the team. (maybe even a fixed TAG laser?)
  • have cockpit textures removed specifically for this mech alone, not a mode you must enter.
  • the most coding required would be to eliminate cockpit shake from Jump Jets and projectile weapons. That is the only thing in this entire proposal that would require effort and time from the developers. This value is already modifiable for projectiles because of the Cockpit Shake module, so the work should still be minimal. Jump Jets are probably the only thing that would require attention.
  • be limited by all the current mechanics and limitations of a normal mech because IT IS a regular mech, only specialized to help people record footage.
  • not be a large impact to the team as it takes up a light mech slot, can still perform the actions of typical light mech by scouting and providing ECM, can still capture control points. It eliminates the need for content creators to WASTE other, heavier mech slots in order to record footage.

View PostRad Hanzo, on 28 April 2015 - 02:38 AM, said:

right shift + f11

Yea, the cockpit is still there, but it would give a nice feel of "battlerecorder" footage .
And fighting like that is hardmode ^^

As much as I´d like spectatortools, I wouldn´t buy a mech .

Of course this is a current and ONLY option for people to record footage, however this wastes your mechs contribution to the team much more than a light mech would. Trust me, I am very familiar with this method and I am not looking for advice on how to film in-game. It's extremely difficult and PGI has only made such methods more difficult. Jump Jets create extreme cockpit shake so those shots are out of the question. Cockpit shake from ballistic spam and missiles is obscene when trying to record, especially since the introduction of clan ballistics with their burst mechanic. It's a complete nightmare to try and record usable, live, public warfare. Absolute pain and requires hours upon hours of filming to get enough footage for a video.

If PGI released a mech that would at least eliminate the issues of: cockpit, cockpit shake, and jumpjet shake it would be worth every penny. It would save us so much time and effort, and time is $.

#5 XphR

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationTVM-Iceless Fold Space Observatory Entertaining cats...

Posted 28 April 2015 - 07:01 AM

The Panther could make a great camera Mech, once you zoom in the cockpit is all but gone then shift f11 away the reticule/hud and arm-lock when you need to fire between photos. Fast, Jumpy and great view screen clearance.

#6 Solahma

• Fury
  • Fury
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 09:14 AM

View PostXphR, on 28 April 2015 - 07:01 AM, said:

The Panther could make a great camera Mech, once you zoom in the cockpit is all but gone then shift f11 away the reticule/hud and arm-lock when you need to fire between photos. Fast, Jumpy and great view screen clearance.

That's nice, many mechs can do this. It still has to zoom in to hide cockpit textures and it still suffers from cockpit shake while jump jetting or getting hit by projectiles. It does not make for an easy recording experience anymore than a commando, shadowhawk, Jager, or any other mech that has zero obstructions when zoomed in.

The purpose of this proposal is for a mech that takes this method of filming to another level and help us create videos with minimal work for PGI.

#7 XphR

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 09:34 AM

That will likely and rightfully only come in the form of an observer mode reserved strictly for private matches. And yes, I already read the part where you say its difficult to arrange a twenty four man private match.

Edited by XphR, 28 April 2015 - 09:35 AM.

#8 Solahma

• Fury
  • Fury
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 10:09 AM

View PostXphR, on 28 April 2015 - 09:34 AM, said:

That will likely and rightfully only come in the form of an observer mode reserved strictly for private matches.

Please explain why this "rightfully" only belongs in private matches? A dedicated mech with filming in-mind would do wonders for the average video maker or anyone who has been interested in making quality content. One of the best creators out there, wauweli, brought up this point initially on reddit and my idea would solve all of the major issues he is concerned with. An observer tool in private matches does NOT address all of the concerns. A camera mech would, and it would require SO LITTLE work to implement. Not to mention a potential new revenue for minimal work if they made it MC only. Talk about easy compensation!

Again, I appreciate you opinion or i wouldn't have posted this, but I'd like a conversation about it rather than a "this wouldn't work" or stating what we already know. Do you make videos in MWO? Have you tried to make videos? If not, perhaps try to put yourself in our shoes. Would this make it easier to produce content? YES. Would this attract potential content creators in the future? YES. And it completely avoids the controversy of the Spectator tool, allows for public match recording with minimal impact, and doesn't require a player to beg PGI to even get access to the tool. Something I still haven't seen made available to anyone other than shout-casters. Content creators have really gotten zero love.

#9 Stingray Productions

• 1,906 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 10:34 AM

i think the floating UAV is a good answer, just make it controllable, and only usable in Private Matches.

#10 Solahma

• Fury
  • Fury
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 10:41 AM

View PostStingray1234, on 28 April 2015 - 10:34 AM, said:

i think the floating UAV is a good answer, just make it controllable, and only usable in Private Matches.

Again, private matches only is NOT the solution we want. We want to capture REAL matches in public queue, that's where you get the gems of combat footage aside from getting 24 people together and choreograph battles which is a HUGE undertaking.

This UAV does not allow us to do that and would remain widely unused from content creation of battle footage. They couldn't make it available in public matches because of cheating/exploitation issues. A camera mech completely avoids that issue and allows for better filming in PUBLIC queue and CW matches.

#11 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 11:06 AM

Simply assign a "Spectator Camera" option to private matches. Preferably one that would allow multiple spectators.

The spectator camera already exists (accessed usually by bugs).
In private matches with a toggle to have it on or off, it won't offend anyone.
Assigning CW-style missions to private matches as well would allow for recording of CW style missions via the spectator camera, too, without affecting actual CW play.

I can't fathom this requiring more than thirty minutes short of any bugs that might be found.

#12 Solahma

• Fury
  • Fury
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 11:11 AM

View PostKoniving, on 28 April 2015 - 11:06 AM, said:

Simply assign a "Spectator Camera" option to private matches. Preferably one that would allow multiple spectators.

The spectator camera already exists (accessed usually by bugs).
In private matches with a toggle to have it on or off, it won't offend anyone.
Assigning CW-style missions to private matches as well would allow for recording of CW style missions via the spectator camera, too, without affecting actual CW play.

I can't fathom this requiring more than thirty minutes short of any bugs that might be found.

Again, Private matches only, that's not the focus of this suggestion. This suggestion is for an easier way to film PUBLIC matches without exploiting (bannable btw). This camera mech idea seems to be flying over poeple's heads. Here is my restructured post I am sharing on other forums:

Specator tool will NEVER be available for use in a public environement due to cheating and exploitation issue. There are current "work arounds" available to players by taking certain mechs, turning off HUD, and zooming in to remove cockpit obstructions. It is very difficult to get proper footage of live battles.

I had an idea: why not focus on the existing method of using mechs to record footage, but dramatically enhance it's ability with very simple changes.

So, let's see what this mech would include:
  • Spider-5V base
  • Up-to 12 Jump Jets
  • Engine cap of 285 (max 169kph)
  • NO WEAPON HARDPOINTS
  • Still is AMS capable
  • Fixed Tag (to avoid weaponless error and to allow the mech to spot. Also doubles as a laser pointer for directing mechs in choreographed scenes in private lobby)
  • ECM capable (to avoid the mech being completely useless to the team, as with the TAG. Also helps draw attention away from the filming mech)
  • Mech is treated just like any normal mech in-game. Targetable. Destroyable. NONE of that changes.
  • Remove cockpit textures from the mech so the player is not required to zoom in. This also allows the player to use zooming as a special effect in his recordings, and added feature not existent with the current method of filming live gameplay
  • Remove any and all forms of cockpit shake. This is already a variable for any mech in MWO because of the Cockpit Shake module which reduces its visual effect. This mech would have this, as a quirk, to completely remove Cockpit shake from projectiles.
  • Remove Jump Jet cockpit shake. This is the most difficult part of the entire suggestion. It would require some work and may be more or less difficult than I could ever understand. However, it is really the ONLY thing that would require time looking into.
Done

Yup, that simple.

Now you have eliminated 90% of the difficulties of recording in any match.Everything is already available in the game, the only major work is to REMOVE textures from the cockpit and to implement a screenshake removal. It is SAFE and BALANCED. ECM spider already exists. No weapons, thus the cockpit shake is meaningless for balance. It cannot be exploited in any way compared to other suggestions of an "Observer UAV" or the Spectator tool. PGI could also make the mech available for MC only. Sure, not many are going to purchase it as it's pretty useless for the average player. However ALL content creators out there would purchase it, more than likely. Anything that makes the filming process easier and reduces the time to get proper shots would be worth every penny for me personally.

Thoughts? If you currently make MWO content and/or would use this mech to create content in the future, this is really directed at you. What do you have to contribute to this idea?

Edited by Solahma, 28 April 2015 - 11:17 AM.

#13 XphR

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 12:04 PM

I have made videos, nothing noteworthy as my current system is quite lacking by gaming standards and AT&T makes sure it is a hassle to upload video of any decent resolution or length.

I would say a large issue that a dedicated camera mech could create in a non private match is a mech of zero firepower would need to be forcefully limited in number per team. It would be very detrimental to the enjoyment of the other players to find out they have landed in a game with a lance worth or more of camera crewmen.

Rightfully belonging in private matches because that is the only way (without some other form of added in opt-in[or game mode]) to guarantee everyone entering into the match is ok going forward with this type of activity.

#14 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 12:36 PM

Edit: Had accidentally posted one video twice. Removed copy.

View PostSolahma, on 28 April 2015 - 11:11 AM, said:

Thoughts? If you currently make MWO content and/or would use this mech to create content in the future, this is really directed at you. What do you have to contribute to this idea?

(TL;DR provided at the end)

I do make content for MWO, and have a teammate who frequently is a camera 'Mech. Though not nearly as extensively as I would like for the complete lack of a spectator camera in private matches. It is all I would really need, as most "content" from a filming perspective is either scripted or held in private matches anyway. I do not believe Lordred would use the 'Mech, although he has jokingly requested that PGI make a Camera 'Mech with a large camera for a head.

Would it help content creators like Wewauli as shown here? Most definitely! His content is a mix of public and private matches used for filming.

Would it help content creators like TMC? Probably not, their fully scripted videos require a private approach.
Example 1: using 'Mechs and staged 3D props to record.

Example 2: Using Spectator camera (what I'd like to have) to record.

The problem is inherently in that any public match consisting of a machine purposed for filming still has a home team advantage. Get camera player on teamspeak. Whether killable or not, you have a camera that can convey positions and information valuable to give one team an advantage over the other, with absolutely no way to manage or prevent this issue. (This is referring more to the implications of the "UAV-mounted spectator camera" that was suggested in this thread, which I think is cool but has the mentioned problems). Not only that, but you also set a team down by one player. And what do you do if 12 players decided to be cameras and were put on one team?

I think you should consider the larger implications. It's great for the box you're in, but step back a bit. Look at how it affects others. Look at what it does.

Now from your suggestion, it's clear you are aware and intend for it to participate with the team it is on rather than a pure observer. In which case, why make one? We already have them, and they can carry weapons!

As someone who frequently has a camera mech in tow, I know exactly what this does in either case. I know most of the pros and cons of this through experience.
(Quicky)

(Rest of these are full length).

I would like for you (not necessarily the person I directly quoted and responded to but whoever it was I saw who wanted a more 'no team, invincible camera') to watch what the Camera 'Mech experiences through life -- any of them will do, all of them would be fantastic -- and tell me if you can see ways in which your idea would be good and ways in which it would be flawed. Nothing is more valuable than live action data. Here's nearly 2 hours of data. Camera model is a Com-2D, using ECM, a single ML and some SRMs and most of the time no HUD.

TL;DR:
Ultimately, we already have camera 'Mechs. They already exist and they are combat capable with minimal advantage loss, and no clear-cut advantages that a dedicated camera 'Mech might have if they received special rules.
The following mechs make good cameras:
Commandos.
Awesomes.
Catapults.
Shadowhawks.
~MOST~ Clan 'Mechs.
(There's actually a lot more, but Lordred will have to bring them to the table).

Edited by Koniving, 28 April 2015 - 12:46 PM.

#15 Solahma

• Fury
  • Fury
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 12:36 PM

View PostXphR, on 28 April 2015 - 12:04 PM, said:

I would say a large issue that a dedicated camera mech could create in a non private match is a mech of zero firepower would need to be forcefully limited in number per team. It would be very detrimental to the enjoyment of the other players to find out they have landed in a game with a lance worth or more of camera crewmen.

It's true, but I would propose that the mech has ECM as well as a Fixed TAG. Hell, PGI could still give it an energy hardpoint, it really isn't going to make it OP or anything. This was primarily a suggestion to justify the removal of cockpit shake. Considering this mech would most-likely be MC only, only people specifically interested in filming would purchase it, unless they simply want to own it. You would never see a full light-lance full of these. It IS possible, but due to the already present weight-class balancing, you could never see more than a handful in the same solo queue match. It provides nearly zero value for someone to take in terms of cbill earnings. This situation you describe of multiple people taking the mech into a match is extremely unlikely to ever occur. Then also consider that I can drop into a match currently and be little/no use to my team while filming already, so....

View PostXphR, on 28 April 2015 - 12:04 PM, said:

Rightfully belonging in private matches because that is the only way (without some other form of added in opt-in[or game mode]) to guarantee everyone entering into the match is ok going forward with this type of activity.

This is true, but I can already waste a mech slot by filming an entire match without other player's consent and be directly responsible for our team's loss because I didn't contribute. No evil intent. Just trying to create content and advertise the game.

#16 XphR

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 12:49 PM

Accepting the negatives does not make your option in any way more positive. As much as it could benefit content creation, the negatives and possibility for abuse is far to high and far reaching in effect. The only simple answer is the one you are obstinately against and in all reality 24 man teams are not impossible to schedule. If the opportunity to be filmed were on the table, those teams would most definitely preform at their best (as well as line up for the chance to be filmed) and the outcomes would be quite film worthy and realistically natural. At the same time staged battles would also be fully available to further flesh out content for cut-scenes and set ups.

Edited by XphR, 28 April 2015 - 12:49 PM.

#17 Solahma

• Fury
  • Fury
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 01:04 PM

View PostKoniving, on 28 April 2015 - 12:36 PM, said:

The problem is inherently in that any public match consisting of a machine purposed for filming still has a home team advantage. Get camera player on teamspeak. Whether killable or not, you have a camera that can convey positions and information valuable to give one team an advantage over the other, with absolutely no way to manage or prevent this issue. Not only that, but you also set a team down by one player. And what do you do if 12 players decided to be cameras and were put on one team?

Like mentioned in all my posts regarding the issue of exploitation. This is a mech, like any other in the game. It belongs to a team, targetable, and destroyable like any other mech. It cannot be exploited by being "indestructable" or a neutral object in the game because it is not. It is a Spider-5V. This leads me to the issue of griefing or trolling. You cannot field 12 of them because it is a LIGHT mech, maximum of 4 allowed per team. In solo queue, when was the last time you saw a huge team of light mechs? I also would advise that the mech be only available for MC purchase. Only people seriously using this mech will be able to justify its purchase. While theoretically possible, this situation is just like saying you will see an entire team of LCT-PB on one team. It may be possible by a 0.00001% chance, however you cannot believe it will actually be a realistic problem in-game.

The "one-down" issue is real, but the struggles of a current filming mech already make them a "one-down" situation. I'm still going to be filming with my Jager, painstaking as it is, because it gets the best shots and has the armor to survive a match to get the most amount of shots inside the brawl as possible and fast enough to keep up with medium mechs. That's a HEAVY mech that the team is down. Sure, I fight with it pretty often, but i'm losing chances to film every time I focus on the game and not the filming. Not ideal for either my filming process or the team. A dedicated LIGHT mech would have the least impact to the team. I also propose it has ECM and TAG, not making it completely useless to a team. The mech can provide an ECM cloud while recording which not only helps the filming process, but benefits the team at the same time.

I would like for you to watch what the Camera 'Mech experiences through life -- any of them will do, all of them would be fantastic -- and tell me if you can see ways in which your idea would be good and ways in which it would be flawed. Nothing is more valuable than live action data. Here's nearly 2 hours of data. Camera model is a Com-2D, using ECM, a single ML and some SRMs and most of the time no HUD.

This means enough to me and seems like such a simple and effective solution. I'll take the time to create a video on the topic of Camera Mechs, which are good to use, and how an Official camera mech would benefit us content creators in the community as well as promote such content and encourage others to try.

Regarding the Com-2D as an example. Com-2D is a great camera mech presently, I use it frequently, especially when I want a lower perspective, however it often doesn't have the survivability to get many shots or to survive through the match since you can't move full-speed for many good footage opportunities. It also doesn't have jump jets for ideal positions and vantage points. It might be my FoV, but when piloting the COM and running, there is still an obstruction of the cockpit on the side. It is not present while stationary, but it shows up when moving. This is quite agitating and forces me to take the Panther or another mech to film in for movement shots.

Ultimately, we already have camera 'Mechs. They already exist and they are combat capable with minimal advantage loss, and no clear-cut advantages that a dedicated camera 'Mech might have if they received special rules.

Clear-cut advantages to my proposed mech:
  • Ability to film without zooming in. Adds the ability to use zoom as a special effect for some footage. I can think of a handful of great uses for this alone off the top of my head.
  • No cockpit shake when getting hit by projectiles. Much more of a concern now with clan ballistic weapons throwing projectiles everywhere. Greater chance of getting hit and ruining a potentially great shot.
  • (hopefully) no cockpit shake when using jump jets. Creates opportunity for many interesting shots and angles.
  • Jump Jets AND ECM on a mech that can film without cockpit obstructions. currently does not exist for light mechs
I really appreciate your response Koniving. I enjoy your content and hope I could get you on-board with this idea.

As you defend that we ultimately already have camera mechs for filming, I would counter that with: ultimately, this is a very easy, low implication, and minimal effort solution that eliminates many of the problems that DO exist with current filming methods. "Nothing is more valuable than live action data" I totally agree, and nothing is more important for advertisement opportunities as live action footage.

So, with issues addressed, what reason is there to not consider this seriously?

Edited by Solahma, 28 April 2015 - 01:20 PM.

#18 Solahma

• Fury
  • Fury
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 01:13 PM

View PostXphR, on 28 April 2015 - 12:49 PM, said:

Accepting the negatives does not make your option in any way more positive. As much as it could benefit content creation, the negatives and possibility for abuse is far to high and far reaching in effect.

WHAT ABUSE? you have failed to point out anything that could be abused here, especially after my clarifications. I'm sorry for my ignorance, but this is a regular mech, like any other, and impossible to abuse in any way. It is a light mech, it belongs to a team, it can be targeted, it can be destroyed. IT'S A MECH. What's the issue here?

View PostXphR, on 28 April 2015 - 12:49 PM, said:

The only simple answer is the one you are obstinately against and in all reality 24 man teams are not impossible to schedule. If the opportunity to be filmed were on the table, those teams would most definitely preform at their best (as well as line up for the chance to be filmed) and the outcomes would be quite film worthy and realistically natural. At the same time staged battles would also be fully available to further flesh out content for cut-scenes and set ups.

The simplest answer is to have a replay ability for matches. But that answer requires A LOT of resources and dedicated time from the developers, my idea does not. Also, scheduling 23 other players to fight again, and again, and again is already rather tedious for competitive games. At best you would be looking at 8 vs. 8 which is really not losing much in terms of content I will admit. However it is still very difficult to organize regularly enough to get enough footage for a quality video. In the meantime, these players are not earning CBills, XP, GXP, etc. This also requires two people to have Premium time, not really an issue, but it is still a requirement.

So you say by pointing out and recognizing the negatives of my idea is a bad thing? there will always be compromise. Not recognizing the negatives of current methods as well as other proposed methods is also not beneficial toward your argument.

Edited by Solahma, 28 April 2015 - 01:22 PM.

#19 XphR

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 02:50 PM

Abuse of information by way of visuals uncompromised by screen shake from jumping and incoming fire. Those impulses are there not just to sway the accuracy of fire but to intentionally obscure vision.

My argument was indeed what seemed you asked for... ..I am only attempting to inform you of some of the possible reasons this sort of thing is very likely to not happen in such a fashion (pointing out the negatives of your request is indeed a very necessary part of such[Thus is the role of Devils Advocate]). As well as where it is likely to appear and for what reasons. In the public areas you must work with what you have been given to work with, it is limited in specific ways for various reasons regardless of willingness to pay cash. In the private areas they have shown that they are far more lenient on what will or could be offered.

I have seen a lance of four locust.. and they ate a few assaults like a crop with no repellant. I am not even saying I would not enjoy footage pulled from such a mech.. Just pointing out that even without ECM, AMS or TAG, some of the reasons it is not likely to manifest. If it was to make it into the game you would most certainly see a swath of complaint threads form followed by the "Refund or Remove" posters and the "Now I dont have any reason to live" hyperbole crews.

#20 bad arcade kitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 02:56 PM

camera mech :3

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Cephalus

well kinda

ecm, chameleon shield, null-signature, no weapon except tag and ams

too bad it's too late in the time line

also i heard that some people accidentally entered in the free camera mode by a bug so it seems it's already made and is just turned off

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users